PDA

View Full Version : Rounding out the party [PF]

Mari01
2012-09-02, 02:10 AM
I've just been informed that our game has come to a close with a TPK that I missed out on, so we're going to be delving into the new Rise of the Runelords. So far the party is a fighter with the archer archtype, a melee focused bard, and a half orc with the archtype to cast off CON. What would be best to round out the party well?

TL;DR Round out this party

1) Archer Fighter
2) Melee Bard
3) Half-Orc Witch
4) ??????

grarrrg
2012-09-02, 02:24 AM
TL;DR Round out this party

1) Archer Fighter
2) Melee Bard
3) Half-Orc With
4) ??????

Well, the obvious suggestion would be a Divine Caster.
Although, you also seem to be lacking in Front-Line Melee types.
Hmm...

Well...Any of the Divine classes could work as a Melee type I guess.

Cleric: Wear Medium Armor, concentrate on Buff spells, also has Channeling and Spontaneous Cures (when needed).

Oracle: Battle or Metal Mystery will let you wear Heavy Armor and give Martial Proficiency, and you still have Full Casting.

Inquisitor: Medium Armor, need to carefully select deity for Weapon Prof. (only has Simple, and Ranged-Martial). Judgment can help bump up your To-Hit, or Damage, or AC, or.... and 2/3rd Casting is solid.

Paladin: Lighter on the Spells, heavy on the melee. If a "healer" role is demanded, take the Hospitaler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/hospitaler) and/or Oath of Charity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-charity) (you can take both). Hospitaler trades some uses of Smite Evil for a separate Channel-pool (i.e. you DON'T have to spend Lay on Hands to channel). Oath of Charity makes your Self-Lay on Hands only 50% as effective, and you lose Divine Bond, but your Non-Self-Lay on Hands are 150% effective and you can change your Mercies every day.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-02, 02:46 AM
Cleric, Druid, or Battle mystery Oracle. Covers the divine casting and melee gap, as grarrrg addressed.
Paladin is ok, but his in combat healing is small and mostly "works" by virtue of only costing a swift action and thus not taking up a turn. Which of course means healing yourself. Which means you need some way to get enemies to attack you in the first place. And PF is pretty weak on forced aggro and even martial lockdown options, so that would be tough.

grarrrg
2012-09-02, 01:17 PM
Paladin is ok, but his in combat healing is small and mostly "works" by virtue of only costing a swift action and thus not taking up a turn. Which of course means healing yourself. Which means you need some way to get enemies to attack you in the first place. And PF is pretty weak on forced aggro and even martial lockdown options, so that would be tough.

Given that there are only 3 others, drawing damage shouldn't be much of a problem.
And depending on his starting level, he could make an Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13120545&postcount=5) and draw all damage to himself anyway.

Yeah...somehow forgot about Druid, I think I was more focused on the "quick Healing" angle. Cleric and Paladin have Channeling. Cleric, Oracle, and Inquisitor never have to prepare Cure spells (Inquisitor still must take as a Spell Known though).
Whereas for a Druid to heal, he must purposely prepare Cure spells, and has no "alternate" method of healing (channel, lay on hands).

But no reason a Druid couldn't work.
An Animal Companion is basically a Fighter, you have Wildshape for Melee, and you can dip 1 level of Ranger and take the Shapeshifting Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/shapeshifting-hunter) feat for Full Progression Favored Enemy for extra Beatdowns.

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-02, 02:09 PM
I'd thrown in my hat for a divine caster/front liner too. Preferably a divine caster with some decent spell casting. Druid or cleric would be my suggestion, lots of casting to add to the versatility of the group.

That_guy_there
2012-09-02, 02:18 PM
BAh, while I was looking into the viability of the Ranger/ Druid, i was beaten to it.

Phooey.

The Animal Companion is always nice to have to supplement you in Melee, espacially is you can get your DM to let it take Precise strike for a little extra oomph.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/precise-strike-combat-teamwork

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-02, 02:23 PM
I have a Druid concept that dips Sohei Master of Many Styles Monk for 1 level at 3 (or any odd level thereafter) for Crane Style and various other benefits. And takes the Feather (Animal) domain to get extra spells and a sweet perception bonus, without losing the animal companion. You just get it at level -3. Boon Companion feat counts you as up to +4 levels higher, so add in the monk dip, and it covers you perfectly. So long run, you end up w/ +1/2 druid level to perception and some extra spells for the price of a feat (Boon Companion), basically. Then you turn into an Allosaurus or whatever and kung fu your way in melee.

That_guy_there
2012-09-02, 03:08 PM
I have a Druid concept that dips Sohei Master of Many Styles Monk for 1 level at 3 (or any odd level thereafter) for Crane Style and various other benefits. And takes the Feather (Animal) domain to get extra spells and a sweet perception bonus, without losing the animal companion. You just get it at level -3. Boon Companion feat counts you as up to +4 levels higher, so add in the monk dip, and it covers you perfectly. So long run, you end up w/ +1/2 druid level to perception and some extra spells for the price of a feat (Boon Companion), basically. Then you turn into an Allosaurus or whatever and kung fu your way in melee.

A build i look forward to swiping... Allosaurus or Spinasaurus depending if you need that grab/ pounce (Allosaurus)or that larger strength bonus/ swim speed (Spinosaurus)

Blyte
2012-09-02, 08:50 PM
Bard and the Witch both have some form of healing. I'm assuming the 1/2 orc witch is using the orc scarred witchdoctor archetype, which is pretty neato in my opinion. I really miss my old con based tortle psion, back in my old red steel campaign in D&D 3.0

I like the Paladin and Oracldin ideas, but I think half-orc invulnerable rager barbarian is a solid choice as well. You add some solid damage and some good staying power for the mediocre heals the party has.

"Born Alone" from the ARG + DR seems like a good combo to me

couple that with the fast healing the witch can throw on you and you are a tough hombre.

I would also take the 1/2 orc feat that gives ferocity as well.

Anderlith
2012-09-02, 09:11 PM
1. Barbarian (Half Orc with Str & Cha)
2. Oracle with Tongues flaw
3. ??????
4. Rage Profit!!!! :smallamused:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-02, 09:28 PM
What about an Inquisitor? You could use a stealthy type, I think.

grarrrg
2012-09-02, 09:52 PM
1. Barbarian (Half Orc with Str & Cha)
2. Oracle with Tongues flaw
3. ??????
4. Rage Profit!!!! :smallamused:

Bad Puns aside...
Rage Prophet is a bad class. Not horrible, just bad.

And you wouldn't want Tongues for a Barb/Oracle, you'd want Lame (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) for Immune Fatigue, or Wolfscarred (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) for the Free Bite attack.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-02, 09:57 PM
A build i look forward to swiping... Allosaurus or Spinasaurus depending if you need that grab/ pounce (Allosaurus)or that larger strength bonus/ swim speed (Spinosaurus)

Heh, sure. I was just looking at Oread (the ideal race, IMO... buffs str and wis and trashes a dump stat, cha) and ARG buffed them pretty solidly.

Here's what I had down, using 25 point buy and a level 9 snap shot.

Oread Menhir Savant Druid 2 / MoMS Sohei Monk 1 / Druid +6
Bond: Feather subdomain (Alternative: just take animal to save a feat)
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 6 (starting)
Str 16 (18), Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 20 (22), Cha 6 (level 9)
Str 16 (24), Dex 14 (10), Con 14, Int 12, Wis 20 (22), Cha 6 (Allosaurus Form)
HP: xx (9d8 +18 +8 favored class)
AC: 28 (10 +4 mage armor +1 dodge +6 monk +7 natural -2 size +1 deflect +1 insight)
Saves (Allo form): Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +15

1 Dodge
3 Crane Style (Fight Defensive: -2 attack; +4 AC)
3 Improved Unarmed Strike [Monk]
3 Crane Wing [Monk]
5 Boon Companion
7 Natural Spell (it’s not that useful at 5th level…)
9 Dragon Style?

Alternative: Natural spell @ 5, Wild Speech @ 7, no Boon Companion

Class: Proficient in Light/Medium armor and simple/martial/some monk weapons, Feather subdomain, T-Rex companion, Spirit Sense (Sp at will; detect undead, fey, outsiders and astral/ethereal/incorp. creatures), Place Magic (+1 CL for 1 round) 9/day, Wild Shape 3/day, Devoted Guardian (always act in surprise round), Fuse Style (two styles at once), AC Bonus

Equip:
Wis +2
Str +2
Cloak of Resistance +1
Ring of Protect +1
Natural armor +1
Dusty Rose Iuon Stone
Wand of Mage Armor

Level 1 (70 gp): Hide Armor (replace w/ Horn Lamellar ASAP), Scythe, scimitar, club, sling, spell component pouch, holy symbol

I prioritized wisdom for casting, you could just as easily start w/ str higher and buff it every 4 levels instead, you'd end up w/ like str 28 at level 9. Bought the wand of mage armor assuming a PC can use it on the druid; ideally you buy a pearl of power or they just do it for you out of the kindness of their own heart.

Given the newly released ARG, I would definitely take the Crystalline Form, Ferrous Growth, and Granite Skin racial options.

Anderlith
2012-09-03, 02:14 AM
Bad Puns aside...
Rage Prophet is a bad class. Not horrible, just bad.

And you wouldn't want Tongues for a Barb/Oracle, you'd want Lame (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) for Immune Fatigue, or Wolfscarred (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) for the Free Bite attack.

Puns are never bad. & the Rage Prophet may not be an elite optimal class, but it is solid for a buffed self healing warrior on the front lines.

True you don't have to take Tongues but it was the first reasonable flaw I could think of.

grarrrg
2012-09-03, 01:20 PM
Puns are never bad.

Correction:
ALL Puns are bad.

That's what makes them Puns. :smalltongue:

DrDeth
2012-09-04, 11:39 PM
Hospitaler Paladin, sword & board. Good tanking, nice healing.

Mari01
2012-09-05, 12:27 AM
Thanks to bit of deviousness (and rcently acquiring Path's of Prestige) one player is encouraging me to be a Razmiran Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/razmiran-priest). The rest of the group is expecting a divine caster and he thinks it would be a nice change of pace for our group. I looked it over and I think it mght be fun. Can you guys help me out with this?

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-05, 12:50 PM
Man, really want Paths of Prestige to be up on pfsrd soon