PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-02, 09:53 AM
Well, we hit the 50-page mark, and I for one hate waiting for the mod to show up and say "hur dur 50 pages thread locked." So, I have gone on and begun our story again, with an intro from our old friend SiuiS:

Mass Effect 3, thread 67
or
Indoctrination in the playground

This is the sixth seventh thread for discussion of Mass Effect proper, currently on its third and final installment. Here we discuss gameplay, mechanics, multiplayer, and anything at all from Mass Effect 1 &2. Spoilers are still spoilers, for the most part, so please take discussion of the story and the ending to the mass effect Endings discussion thread..

Prior threads:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Playgrounder multiplayer profiles (please use the provided format of
- GitP user name
- game system(s)
- in-game user name
- frequently used weapons/classes

PC:

GITP Name : bladescape
Gamertag : blade_scaper
Classes: Sentinels, soldiers, infiltrators.

GitP Name: Triscuitable
Gamertag: Triscuitable
Classes: Quarian Infiltrator, Human Vanguard

GitP Name: Farix
Gamertag: Nejaa
Classes: N7 Fury, Paladin, & Shadow

GITP Name : Wilhelm Scream
Gamertag : chumsley
Classes: Salarians, asari adept, krogan vanguard

GITP Name : Ertwin
Gamertag : Ertwin
Classes :Krogan Soldier, salarian/quarian infiltrator*

GITP Name : DabblerWizard
Gamertag*: DabblerWizard
Classes : Adepts

GITP Name : MonarchAnarch
Gamertag : MonarchAnarch
Classes : Asari Vanguard, Salarian Infiltrator, Drell Adept.

GITP Name: Drakefall
Gamertag*: Drakefall_XI
Classes: Engineer, any

GITP Name : Sagonene
Gamertag : vinceroix
Classes : Adept & Engineer

GITP Name : Comrade
Gamertag : NapalmMotorhead
Classes : Soldier

Giantitp Name: Corvus
Gamertag: Auscorvus
Classes; Drell Adept & Human Engineer

Giantitp name: Chen
Gamertag: Chen932000
Classes: Asari Vanguard, Human Sentinel

Giantitp name: Anarion
Gamertag: jrogers55
Classes played: any

GitP Name: Khosan
Gamertag: Khosan
Classes: Sentinel, any

GITP Name : Dhavaer
Gamertag*: Dhavaer
Classes : Vanguard, Engineer, Sentinel.*

GITP Name: Actana
Gamertag: Miriact
Preferred Classes: Salarian Infiltrator, Human Vanguard

GianTiTP name: Mikeavelli
Gamertag: Mikeavelli
Classes : vanguard

GitP name : Sholos
Gamertag: veebeebee
Classes: Engineer, Infiltrator, Soldier, Adept

GITP Name : Darius Macab
Gamertag*: DariusMacab
Classes : any

GitP username: Arbitrarity
Gamertag: Arbitrarity
Classes: any caster, infiltrator

GitP Poster: Aotrs Commander
Gamertag: AotrsCommander
Classes: Infiltrator

GitP Poster: Gamerlord
Gamertag: Gamerlord2
Classes: Any

GitP name: Starsign
Gamertag: Sunrust
Classes: any

Name on GITP: Landis963
Gamertag: landis963
Classes: caster

GiTP Name: Morty
Gamertag :*Morty901
Classes: non-vanguard

GiTP Name : Horngeek
Gamertag : Horngeek
Classes : Any

Gitp Name: Insanealien
Gamertag: Kalehn
Favourite characters: Turian Soldier, N7 Paladin, Shadow and Demolisher.

X-Box 360:

GitP user name :Strife Warzeal
Gamertag :*aafro1109

GITP Name : thugthrasher
Gamertag*: thugthrasher

GITP Name: Psyren
Gamertag: Psyren Y
Preferred Classes: Casters

GITP Name : Thanatos 51-50
Gamertag*: Saalaksin
Preferred Classes : infiltrator, nova!guard

GitP Name: SiuiS
Gamertag: Starry Notions
Classes: Any, infiltrator

GitP: James the Dark
Gamertag: Jacob Greyson
Classes : Sentinel

GitP Poster: Tome
Gamertag: Taejix
Classes: Vanguard, Adept

GiTP name: Polity4life
Gamertag: ManofOpposites

GitP name: Alaris
Gamertag: Alarikun
Classes: Infiltrator

GitP name: Sanguine
Gamertag: Kugger

GitP name: Wagadodo
Gamertag: Wagadodo
Classes : gunners, any

Giantitp username: Fawkes
Gamertag: Mechafox

GiTP Name: Yana
Gamertag: The 1337 Doctor

GitP Name: Wraith
Gamertag: o IIIusionist o
Classes: Engineer/Sentinel

GitP Name: thorgrim29
Gamertag: thorgrim29
Classes : any (vanguard)

GitP Name: Derthric
Gamertag: Derthric
Classes: Salarians

GitP Name: Xondure
Gamertag: Royal LP

GitP Name: kamikasei
Gamertag: amanadiel

GitP Name: Mr. Blinky
Gamertag: Hells DM

GitP name: Krade
Gamertag: Krade2k20

GITP Name: Edge
Gamertag:UnbrokenUnbowed
Classes: casters

GiTP Name: Beowulf DW
Gamertag: MechaBeowulf DW
Classes: Vanguard, adept, Soldier

GITP Name : Moogleking
Gamertag:MK8Bit
Classes: Human Engineer, Quarian Infiltrator

GITP Name: CreganTur
Gamertag: CreganTur

PS3:

GitP Name: Lycan 01
Gamertag: Ralix_57
Classes: Quarian Infiltrator, sentinel

GITP Name : Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
Gamertag*: TheFullbladder

GiTP Name: C-Lam
Gamertag: Crystal1995

bioware page archiving useful information (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/10712294)

Landis963
2012-09-02, 10:03 AM
Don't forget to add Triscuitable and that other guy to the PC list.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-02, 03:54 PM
Grouping updated and general neatness added.

Tome
2012-09-02, 04:31 PM
Mmm... Digging that "new thread" smell.

Finally unlocked my Quarian Male Engineer, but I just can't seem to find the enthusiasm to try it out - seems too similar to the QMI. Still, only one more class to go, the N7 Paladin, and I've unlocked them all. Yay!

Beowulf DW
2012-09-02, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm still experimenting with the N7 Slayer, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, which makes me immensely happy. I've been playing as soldiers and vanguards since the first Mass Effect, and I was more than a little let down when I saw how much power Vanguards and Soldiers seemed lose in multiplayer as the difficulty increased, at least initially. Most of the reason that I was so happy with the Destroyer and the Slayer was I could use them confidently on Gold and Platinum. Anyway, I've found that although Biotic Slash is certainly powerful, it's not nearly as fun as Phase Disruptor. Interestingly, I don't notice much of a decrease in effectiveness when I choose to use Phase Disruptor over Biotic Slash, provided that adjust my tactics accordingly. Phase Disruptor encourages the use of "Classic" Vanguard tactics: weaken at range, charge in, finish the job. The key to applying this tactic in Gold and Platinum (in my experience) is to be smart about where and when you charge. I usually only charge when an enemy is close to my team, so that I know that I won't be targeted and killed instantly. I always take the weapon damage upgrade for charge, so it's a great way to boost my damage when things start getting dicey. Until the enemies get that close, however, I can still harass them with Phase Disruptor. I'm also finding that it pays to have an assault rifle or smg equipped on my Slayer rather than a shotgun, so that I can weaken enemies as they come in, then charge and unload on them.

Long story short, the next time I get the chance to reset my powers, I'm going to go for 6 in Phase Disruptor, and I think I'll grab at least one weapon damage upgrade in the Slayer passive. The smgs and assault rifles that I use most often don't weigh much anymore, anyway. I think I might go to rank 3 in Biotic Slash to help set off detonations, and to rank 5 in fitness, relying on my Stronghold package to make up the difference in shields.

Xondoure
2012-09-02, 08:55 PM
Well, I'm still experimenting with the N7 Slayer, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, which makes me immensely happy. I've been playing as soldiers and vanguards since the first Mass Effect, and I was more than a little let down when I saw how much power Vanguards and Soldiers seemed lose in multiplayer as the difficulty increased, at least initially. Most of the reason that I was so happy with the Destroyer and the Slayer was I could use them confidently on Gold and Platinum. Anyway, I've found that although Biotic Slash is certainly powerful, it's not nearly as fun as Phase Disruptor. Interestingly, I don't notice much of a decrease in effectiveness when I choose to use Phase Disruptor over Biotic Slash, provided that adjust my tactics accordingly. Phase Disruptor encourages the use of "Classic" Vanguard tactics: weaken at range, charge in, finish the job. The key to applying this tactic in Gold and Platinum (in my experience) is to be smart about where and when you charge. I usually only charge when an enemy is close to my team, so that I know that I won't be targeted and killed instantly. I always take the weapon damage upgrade for charge, so it's a great way to boost my damage when things start getting dicey. Until the enemies get that close, however, I can still harass them with Phase Disruptor. I'm also finding that it pays to have an assault rifle or smg equipped on my Slayer rather than a shotgun, so that I can weaken enemies as they come in, then charge and unload on them.

Long story short, the next time I get the chance to reset my powers, I'm going to go for 6 in Phase Disruptor, and I think I'll grab at least one weapon damage upgrade in the Slayer passive. The smgs and assault rifles that I use most often don't weigh much anymore, anyway. I think I might go to rank 3 in Biotic Slash to help set off detonations, and to rank 5 in fitness, relying on my Stronghold package to make up the difference in shields.

Why not rely on charge for detonation?

Beowulf DW
2012-09-02, 09:15 PM

Because I forgot that it could do that :smalltongue:.

Also because, as I said, Charging isn't appropriate in all situations. Charging across a room just to detonate a power will get you killed. Sending a Biotic slash across the room on the other hand...

Additionally, since Phase Disruptor is considered a combat power by the game, it can set off tech bursts. This should allow me to fit into just about any group.

SiuiS
2012-09-02, 09:19 PM
Grouping updated and general neatness added.

You grabbed the updated lists right? Cool.
Feel free to take the quote tags off, if you'd like. That way it's easier for the next guy. And thanks for the thread :smallsmile:

Mmm... Digging that "new thread" smell.

Finally unlocked my Quarian Male Engineer, but I just can't seem to find the enthusiasm to try it out - seems too similar to the QMI. Still, only one more class to go, the N7 Paladin, and I've unlocked them all. Yay!

You'll have to do what most folks do with the phoenixes, an purposefully build them differently. I give my QMI a heavier, sniper-based load out, Tac scan, cloak, and minor grenade use. I give the QME full DoT grenades, full AP incinerate, and a light gun so I can launch incinerate/arc grenade/incinerate, guaranteeing both a tech burst and fire burst, and obliterating the targets. It pays at that point to target mooks more than heavies, so you get the fire burst a the end. Also, use Tac scan for damage boost over area scan. You'll need it.

Interesting. Did you get a chance to see my thing on the last page of th last thread? I'd like to compare notes, take suggestions.

EDIT: grabbed it, here ya go.

Been playing around with Phase disruptor a bit (and with the original mass effect, actually) an have some thoughts.

Phase disruptor is a very all-or-nothing power. It's neat to have something that fires off so quick during recharge, but unless you're going to make it good, then you shouldn't put any points into it at all.

That said, it also seems to have two prime configurations - either mook mop up or targeted damaging blast. I made a mistake in the startup and have not tried out the damaging version yet. The radius and knock down upgrades, together with shield damage, is phenomenal. Crowds of hunters, pyros, phantoms, marauders, etc. all get knocked about lot popcorn flying off a cob. Aiming is a bit finicky, but the huge area of effect, the almost guaranteed stager and the almost guaranteed removal of target shields is amazing. It's almost like a grenade.

The damage option would then be damage/efficiency/target of choice (I'd say armor), and being able to put out three shots at high output can do a number on any resilient target or group of targets. Theoretically mixing area and efficiency, or damage and knockdown, would be workable but those combinations really don't work so well, with exception of radius/efficiency/shield damage when a press gang of hunters or phantoms come your way. More blasts means more chances to escape.

Finally, phase disruptor is a trick power. It's a terrible power to use in the first five levels, and you get more out of using say, a single point of biotic slash and the rest of your points in N7 Slayer training (or fitness, I haven't ruled melee out yet, not entirely), and pickin up phase disruptor when you are able to carry a decent gun or boost your powers enough to matter. But going from 1-20, you'll pick suboptimal choices just to survive the next match.

Also, at Max fitness, you have enough strength to carry a phaeston at 200% an still grab the weapon damage boost for the final evolution.

Safety primarily. If you biotic charge a prime on gold/platinum, he may go down, but the other two right behind him will have a clear shot and then camp your body during the bleed-out.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-02, 10:53 PM
Interesting. Did you get a chance to see my thing on the last page of th last thread? I'd like to compare notes, take suggestions.

Also, at Max fitness, you have enough strength to carry a phaeston at 200% an still grab the weapon damage boost for the final evolution.

Yes, I saw your post. It seems that you have the same upgrades that I do. I find the knockback invaluable, and the shield damage is great against most of the things that are trying to kill you.

I didn't know that fitness contributed to weight capacity.

SiuiS
2012-09-02, 11:04 PM
It doesn't. I just use "fitness" and "passive" as shorthand and derp'd which one to pull out. I was thinking about getting fitness upto five, for the girls recharge speed, and it must have bled over.

I've learned to use phase disruptor slowly, too, as all it takes is a single rocket trooper to hit you while your shield is at half, and you drop like rocks.

Triscuitable
2012-09-03, 12:22 AM
Here's what I've been running in the campaign lately:

Maxxed Tech Armor, going tanking.
Maxed Fitness, also tanking that.
Lift Grenades (with capacity).
Throw and Warp, combo specced.
Particle Rifle, Indra, Shrapnel Shotgun, N7 Hurricane, Carnifex.
Liara and EDI (when your skill regenerate in a half minute, you need the backup).
Custom Armor/Reckoner Knight (dual Omni-Blades, baby).

SiuiS
2012-09-03, 05:53 AM
Here's what I've been running in the campaign lately:

Maxxed Tech Armor, going tanking.
Maxed Fitness, also tanking that.
Lift Grenades (with capacity).
Throw and Warp, combo specced.
Particle Rifle, Indra, Shrapnel Shotgun, N7 Hurricane, Carnifex.
Liara and EDI (when your skill regenerate in a half minute, you need the backup).
Custom Armor/Reckoner Knight (dual Omni-Blades, baby).

Interesting choices. I have to ask, why a gun in every slot? The particle rifle alone can handle pretty much everything, with maybe a scope-and-barrel on a pistol for distance precision.

What do you have in your passive skill? I remember as a vanguard I was toting the entire bottom row with no penalty, a tempest or locust, a disciple and a Carnifex. Though I honestly probably should have switched out the disciple; the Carnifex pretty much covered all my non automatic fire needs.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-03, 07:22 AM
Interesting choices. I have to ask, why a gun in every slot? The particle rifle alone can handle pretty much everything, with maybe a scope-and-barrel on a pistol for distance precision.

What do you have in your passive skill? I remember as a vanguard I was toting the entire bottom row with no penalty, a tempest or locust, a disciple and a Carnifex. Though I honestly probably should have switched out the disciple; the Carnifex pretty much covered all my non automatic fire needs.

A gun in every slot does seem kind of excessive. I'm currently playing as a soldier, and even I'm not packing that kind of that kind of firepower.

Having one very powerful, slow-firing weapon (sniper rifle or shotgun) and then one rapid-fire weapon (smg or assault rifle) along with a back up (pistols, or one of the lighter assault rifles) is usually enough for my purposes.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-03, 09:22 AM
I tend to go with Phasteon or a Geth rifle and a Javelin or Widow/Black Widow.

Triscuitable
2012-09-03, 11:49 AM
When you're waiting on no skills to regenerate, relying on your allies instead, tanking with tech armor and other defenses makes you almost untouchable. Thus, I can stock almost any gun for any situation. If I took the N7 Crusader and the Particle Rifle, I'm already at 200%, so I have no reason not to equip 5 weapons.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-03, 02:30 PM
When you're waiting on no skills to regenerate, relying on your allies instead, tanking with tech armor and other defenses makes you almost untouchable. Thus, I can stock almost any gun for any situation. If I took the N7 Crusader and the Particle Rifle, I'm already at 200%, so I have no reason not to equip 5 weapons.

Huh. I must admit that an idea like that never occurred to me. I'll have to try it sometime. That would likely never work in multiplayer, but in singleplayer it could be rather fun.

What other defensive powers are you using? Fortification? Defense Matrix?

Triscuitable
2012-09-03, 02:49 PM

The latter. It stacks with Tech Armor, while Fortification cancels it. Since Tech Armor doesn't detonate until you manually input the command, you can effectively rely on those powers without need for cover.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-03, 03:43 PM
The latter. It stacks with Tech Armor, while Fortification cancels it. Since Tech Armor doesn't detonate until you manually input the command, you can effectively rely on those powers without need for cover.

Very interesting. If I may bother you one more time, what difficulty do you usually play on?

Triscuitable
2012-09-03, 03:50 PM
Very interesting. If I may bother you one more time, what difficulty do you usually play on?

Hardcore and Insanity. On Insanity, I'm more likely to use just the Particle Rifle, respec with just Biotics, and go aggro with Tech powers and Lift grenades. I'll take Ashley and Javik for a +50% power regen.

SiuiS
2012-09-03, 07:48 PM

This is where I startup wonder, though; the particle rifle an the crusader fulfill the same function. Pinpoint accuracy, and there's no reason to put anything but the AP and thermal capacity mods on the particle rifle.

And with good team mates, even with defense matrix, and tech armor, you'll b able to net a recharge somewhere in the +180% range. I was able to get my recharge on powers down to the hard limits, and after doing some math I sill had some recharge speed bonus to spare.

Not that what you're doing is bad! Actually, I am impresse by your survivability. It outstripped my own with the same set up. I just thought you painte yourself Ito a corer, by giving yourself such high recharges you needed weapons, and needin weapons forcing a high recharge :smalltongue:

Huh. I must admit that an idea like that never occurred to me. I'll have to try it sometime. That would likely never work in multiplayer, but in singleplayer it could be rather fun.

it's viable if you're surgical about enemy avoidance.
Krogan sentinel, maxed DR on both tech armor and rage (although I prefer the two kills in 30s evolution at the end), and the heaviest, baddest weapons you can find. I used claymore and black widow - black widow for more than one round in a clip, claymore for the insane instantaneous damage and bayonet slot, and Krogan melee or Krogan melee. Smack two husks, sudden 90% DR.

And now, there's an omniblade bayonet, so you aren't stuck with a shotgun if you don't want it. Which means the combinations just increased by an order of magnitude, doesn't it? Viable shotguns are claymore, wraith, piranha, possibly disciple; viable ARs would be Revenant, Harrier, typhoon, Phaeston, particle rifle; viable snipers would be widow, black widow, valiant, javelin, kishock; viable pistols would be talon, paladin, carnifex, and acolyte.
Suddenly the funniest thing in the world is a Krogan with an SMG.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-03, 08:31 PM
Hardcore and Insanity. On Insanity, I'm more likely to use just the Particle Rifle, respec with just Biotics, and go aggro with Tech powers and Lift grenades. I'll take Ashley and Javik for a +50% power regen.

Thank you.

In other news...IT FINALLY HAPPENED! I have a Piranha! Good Lord, it's everything I'd hoped it would be!

SiuiS
2012-09-04, 01:38 AM
Thank you.

In other news...IT FINALLY HAPPENED! I have a Piranha! Good Lord, it's everything I'd hoped it would be!

Play around with mods and such! Use class powers to increase accuracy, stability and rate of fire. It's like playing on bronze again sometimes, but with thirty times the credits!

Psyren
2012-09-04, 02:41 AM
I finally got the last classes I wanted, i.e. the Cerberus Adept/Vanguard, so I'm switching back to Vet/Equip packs for a spell to restock my consumables.

But I gotta give props to TIM, this is the most fun Adept/Vanguard I've ever played. Smash-cancelling to knock 4 bars off an Atlas - FUN! Lashing Phantoms off the map - FUN! Spamming heavy melee on hack to reveal all the Hunters sneaking in - FUN!

Pity the range is so weak on Smash. But I guess that means I'll go with the Vanguard so I can get in close more easily.

Edge
2012-09-04, 04:54 AM
Spamming heavy melee on hack to reveal all the Hunters sneaking in - FUN!
Why did I never think of this?

Pity the range is so weak on Smash. But I guess that means I'll go with the Vanguard so I can get in close more easily.

Actually, not so much. The Charge cooldown makes using Smash tricky, and usually by the time your Charge is cooled down, you'll want to Charge again, in my experience.

Wagadodo
2012-09-04, 09:56 AM
I find myself playing with the Destroyer more than anything getting my jollies on actually being able to hit people with my guns. With my Cerberus Harrier I am headshotting things like crazy. Cerberus guys don't really know what hit them. And I got the Piranha III going right now, though I got it on my very last pack I bought before quiting for the weekend to spend time with the wife.

On the destroyer, do people think it is worth going with the Accuracy?

Tome
2012-09-04, 11:33 AM

It depends on what gun you're using.

Single-shot weapons like sniper rifles or the Mattock generally don't care, because they tend to hit where you point them anyway.

Big, beefy dakka-guns like the Revenant or Hurricane really benefit from it though, since they tend to spray their bullets around a bit.

Psyren
2012-09-04, 12:01 PM
If you want dakka AND accuracy, the GPR and Phaeston are decent at both. Pretty weak though.

Actually, not so much. The Charge cooldown makes using Smash tricky, and usually by the time your Charge is cooled down, you'll want to Charge again, in my experience.

I'd probably do Lash -> Lash -> {...repeat until my shields drop/enemy dies} -> Area Charge -> Heavy Melee to AoE stun -> Smash Cancel. That should be enough to kill most enemies. Sort of like a Novaguard, only my shields don't drop when I nova.

The Power Synergy evolution of Fitness (+50% power damage after I kill an enemy with a HM) might be good here, but I doubt I'll have the points to spare for it.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-04, 12:23 PM
Play around with mods and such! Use class powers to increase accuracy, stability and rate of fire. It's like playing on bronze again sometimes, but with thirty times the credits!

I tried using the piercing mod and the extended barrel mod for it's maiden fight. I was on Gold Reaper Reactor with a few people who apparently didn't play on Gold very much. They milled around the spawn point instead of making a break for the "stronghold." The enemies were already spawning, so I activated Devastator Mode, drew the Piranha, and charged into the center. I mowed down four Cannibals, three husks and two Marauders in about the time it takes to shoot and reload a Claymore. Two of the other players caught on to what I was trying to do and rushed into the breach I created, mopping up anything that I had missed, and dug in for the long haul. Banshees and brutes fell faster than I've ever seen them fall since I started playing Gold and Platinum rather than Bronze and Silver.

I think I'll put a smart choke on it from now on, though. Smart choke with the piercing mod should allow me to shred groups and single targets.

Wraith
2012-09-04, 12:43 PM
I'd probably do Lash -> Lash -> {...repeat until my shields drop/enemy dies} -> Area Charge -> Heavy Melee to AoE stun -> Smash Cancel. That should be enough to kill most enemies. Sort of like a Novaguard, only my shields don't drop when I nova.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. If you're playing a Cerberus Vanguard, Smash is your 'odd' power in that it doesn't synergise very well with your other abilities, so you have to find a specific use for it.

Charge => Heavy Melee => Heavy Melee => Charge, seems to work best for me. Smash only comes out when I know there's an enemy on the other side of a wall and I'm too lazy to walk around and find them, or when I walk around a corner and find there's half a dozen Geth Infiltrators waiting for me and I can't target them with Charge. :smalltongue:

Edge
2012-09-04, 01:53 PM
I think I'll put a smart choke on it from now on, though. Smart choke with the piercing mod should allow me to shred groups and single targets.

If you've got AP ammo available, use the barrel and smart choke alongside it.

Relish your Unlimited Power(TM)!

Beowulf DW
2012-09-04, 01:55 PM

Actually, AP ammo has been hard to come by recently. I only have three more things of it.

Edge
2012-09-04, 01:58 PM
Actually, AP ammo has been hard to come by recently. I only have three more things of it.

Yeah, I've found it to be the hardest ammo to acquire.

Irritatingly, it's the one I use most, because I usually play random enemy.

What if Guardians show up? I'll be helpless without it! :smalltongue:

Yes, I know I could use the shredder mod, but that means sacrificing either the ton of damage from the barrel, or the added accuracy of the smart choke, neither of which I want to give up.

My life would be easier if there were 3 mod slots for guns, even if the third was unlockable.

Landis963
2012-09-04, 02:00 PM
I tried using the piercing mod and the extended barrel mod for it's maiden fight. I was on Gold Reaper Reactor with a few people who apparently didn't play on Gold very much. They milled around the spawn point instead of making a break for the "stronghold."

Gold Reaper Reactor, you say? Another Gold farming variant that a less-than-l33t player such as myself can break into? And where exactly is the "stronghold"?

Edge
2012-09-04, 05:28 PM
Balance changes are out.

Biotic Charge Power (all kits excluding the Krogan)
- Base force increased from 600 to 650

Submission Net Power
- Base cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds
- Base damage increased from 350 to 600
- Rank 3 damage and duration bonuses increased from 20% to 30%
- Evolve 1 damage bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 3 damage bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 4 cooldown bonus increased from 35% to 45%
- Evolve 6 electric pulse frequency increased from 1.5 to 1 second
- Evolve 6 electric pulse base damage increased from 100 to 150

Turian Sentinel
- Starting encumbrance capacity increased from 40% to 50%

Turian Soldier
- Starting encumbrance capacity increased from 55% to 65%

Turian & Batarian Fitness Powers
- Base health/shield bonus increased from 15% to 25%
- Rank 2 health/shield bonus increased from 10% to 15%
- Evolve 2 health/shield bonus increased from 15% to 20%
- Evolve 6 health/shield bonus increased from 25% to 30%

Nice to see those turian buffs, but not exactly what they needed (which was a hop at the very least). Still, it'll help.

Zevox
2012-09-04, 05:31 PM
Holy guacamole that's a lot of Submission Net buffs. Methinks my Batarian Sentinel is going to look a bit more effective next time I play. And I am quite alright with that.

Zevox

Edge
2012-09-04, 05:37 PM
The initial BSN post neglected to mention equal buffs to Batarian Fitness. My above post edited to match.

Zevox
2012-09-04, 07:01 PM
The initial BSN post neglected to mention equal buffs to Batarian Fitness. My above post edited to match.
:smalleek: Sheesh, Batarians were already second only to Krogan in sheer durability. Fitness buffs for them seems a bit excessive.

Zevox

Beowulf DW
2012-09-04, 10:02 PM
Gold Reaper Reactor, you say? Another Gold farming variant that a less-than-l33t player such as myself can break into? And where exactly is the "stronghold"?

We weren't farming. The location and enemy had been chosen at random. The "stronghold" is on the other side of the reactor/killbox from the players' spawn point. In my experience, it's the most defensible area on that map. Everywhere else is either too open, too cluttered, or doesn't have proper shooting lanes.

Landis963
2012-09-04, 10:28 PM
We weren't farming. The location and enemy had been chosen at random. The "stronghold" is on the other side of the reactor/killbox from the players' spawn point. In my experience, it's the most defensible area on that map. Everywhere else is either too open, too cluttered, or doesn't have proper shooting lanes.

I'll have to try it one of these days. Assuming I haven't dropped off ME3 entirely by then.

SDF
2012-09-05, 02:48 AM
I play on the PS3 occasionally.

PSN ID: RadicalAC

SiuiS
2012-09-05, 04:43 AM
I find myself playing with the Destroyer more than anything getting my jollies on actually being able to hit people with my guns. With my Cerberus Harrier I am headshotting things like crazy. Cerberus guys don't really know what hit them. And I got the Piranha III going right now, though I got it on my very last pack I bought before quiting for the weekend to spend time with the wife.

The destroyer, turian soldier and both geth have an advantage other guns don't; accuracy an rate of fire. These mean that, instea of fast accurate guns getting faster and more accurate, stronger, but slower and less accurate guns become competitive. A case I. Point wing the piranha. The piranha is pretty solid, normally. Put it on a destroyer, you get two extra shots in the same amount of time, a much tighter spread and some damage boosts. Same with hunter mode. I have been clicking on hunter mode, and sniping at long AR range better than most shotguns do just out of melee range.

Of corse, if you've got a decent gun and a sturdy target, rate of fire is nice too.

I tried using the piercing mod and the extended barrel mod for it's maiden fight. I was on Gold Reaper Reactor with a few people who apparently didn't play on Gold very much. They milled around the spawn point instead of making a break for the "stronghold." The enemies were already spawning, so I activated Devastator Mode, drew the Piranha, and charged into the center. I mowed down four Cannibals, three husks and two Marauders in about the time it takes to shoot and reload a Claymore. Two of the other players caught on to what I was trying to do and rushed into the breach I created, mopping up anything that I had missed, and dug in for the long haul. Banshees and brutes fell faster than I've ever seen them fall since I started playing Gold and Platinum rather than Bronze and Silver.

I find the damage boost outshines the accuracy if I have to make a choice. Usually. With proximity mine and Tac cloak, I can sacrifice my choice of AP or extended barrel with no loss. I tend to drop the shredder mod though, because so many ammo types make up for it.
Incendiary ammo inflicts panic, DoT and if times right, huge explosions.
Cryo ammo weakens enemy armor, sufficiently to make up for it.
AP ammo does the same thing, really, akin with a damage boost.
Disruptor ammo sets up tech bursts like no one's business.
Warp ammo weakens armor and fees rates phantoms and banshees.

Stack the deck enough and everything drops. I went into platinum with Callos and a friend, white geth gold. They were both level 1. Level 20 geth infiltrator with the above specs (and my AP IV AMMO for the special occasion) and we wiped on wave four the first time, six the second. Their only jobs were decoy, and cloak-medic. The piranha is insane.

Yep!

-

Fun with slayer Biotic Wuxia!
Back to my usual segment.
Slayer is working out pretty passably. Radius, efficiency, and shield damage. I took armor and it was much less useful than I'd like. Precision sword work is a fabulous skill, and I did some math and decide to take it over to the Fury. On silver for low level larking.

The fury is only level 14 at this point, so I max out fitness for melee damage. I Max out Anihilation field for damage as well; this ends up Wong somewhere in the neighborhood of 225/s from bein within three meters of me. A token point in N7 so I canc arty a phalanx, a token point in dark channel for utility, and three in throw. I am a terrible biotic detonator, but quite the guerilla Kung Fu master. The time between portations is slightly longer, and cleaner. Light melee flurrying was sufficient to keep me alive under all but the best time enemy fire. Phantoms also fell to my ninja skillz, with a much higher win ratio: 100% over six phantoms versus the 75% of four phantoms for the slayer.

Anihilation field tends to strike a heavy melee target a split second before you hit them. The biotic field in tandem with punching staggers them every time, and another two strikes will kill them dead. And at least one of those missed, often both. I have not tried gold yet, but boy do I want to. A melee expendable woul be quite impressive, theoretically netting a total of 1,000 or so damage from the light melee stroke, in tandem with a panic inducing 225/s biotic field. I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

CreganTur
2012-09-05, 10:03 AM
Haven't played MP since the next to last bounty weekend. I participated in the most recent one, but promoting characters doesn't count as playing for me.

Decided to level my Geth Infiltrator and got him up to either 16 or 18 (can't remember which) before jumping into platinum. Decided to do a White basement run. Got in with a good team and we successfully extracted the first time.

Second game we startedhaving some connection issues where people would drop out of our Xbox Live party. Then on wave 7 the host got kicked. Wave restarted but I was all alone. Managed to stay alive for a few minutes alone- the rest of my party was trying to join back in, but the game wouldn't connect.

I run my Geth Infil without any points in prox mine- I know a lot of people seem to like it, but I prefer to be full up on all the other skills. The boost to shields and health makes me more durable. Plus I grab the first weapon damage upgrade for Hunter mode, but I've found that extended vision is much deadlier from a tactical perspective.

Edge
2012-09-05, 12:03 PM
Operation: VIGILANCE announced (http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/05/operation-vigilance/).

Operation: VIGILANCE (September 7th-9th)

Unexpected attacks have taken out several squads and damaged vital Alliance equipment. We will deploy drones to repair damage and investigate the nature of these attacks.

Squad Goal: Complete up to and including wave 10 on any difficulty without using a consumable (medi-gel, ammo, Ops pack or Cobra missile launcher).

Allied Goal: Complete 250,000 escort missions on any difficulty.

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All individual players awarded a Commendation Pack
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack

More and more I suspect any new DLC will be adding the Collectors as a new faction to fight. And yes, they are still around by the time of ME3. They are mentioned as being deployed in the Battle of Palaven codex entry.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-05, 12:08 PM
I was a little disappointed about the lack of Collectors in ME3, though I do not miss their heavy units. Give me a Ravager and a Harvester any day instead of a Scion and a Pratorean.

Joran
2012-09-05, 12:10 PM
Operation: VIGILANCE announced (http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/05/operation-vigilance/).

Ah crap, I promoted my Krogan Vanguard. He would have been great at this.

Edge
2012-09-05, 12:14 PM
Also, a BioWare post on the BSN has confirmed that to get the Commendation pack, your entire squad has to go the match without using consumables.

So yeah, I'll probably solo or duo Bronze for the Commendation pack.

Landis963
2012-09-05, 12:16 PM
I think it's a nice touch that, more and more, "Up to wave 10" is the cutoff for the rewards. I think they're realizing that, as designed, there's no point to extraction beyond XP.

EDIT :smallmad: Aw crap my Vorcha Sentinel would have been perfect for this!

Psyren
2012-09-05, 01:28 PM
I was a little disappointed about the lack of Collectors in ME3, though I do not miss their heavy units. Give me a Ravager and a Harvester any day instead of a Scion and a Pratorean.

Scion shockwaves with ME3 upgrades... :smalleek:

For that matter, bouncy-Harby and Praetorian Barrier-healing. Hell, all they have to do now is give the Collectors grenades.

Also, a BioWare post on the BSN has confirmed that to get the Commendation pack, your entire squad has to go the match without using consumables.

So yeah, I'll probably solo or duo Bronze for the Commendation pack.

Was thinking the same thing. My Cerberus Vanguard should do the trick nicely, ripping through Bronze.

Edge
2012-09-05, 01:45 PM

For that matter, bouncy-Harby and Praetorian Barrier-healing. Hell, all they have to do now is give the Collectors grenades.

At least a Praetorian's Death Choir would be easier to avoid in ME3, what with dodges and infinite sprinting.

Landis963
2012-09-05, 02:02 PM

Actually, ME3 shockwaves might be a step down for the Scion, if only because they're airborne, now, instead of grounded. Although they can go through walls now...

Psyren
2012-09-05, 03:21 PM
At least a Praetorian's Death Choir would be easier to avoid in ME3, what with dodges and infinite sprinting.

You'd think so, yet players get caught in Banshee Novas or by grenades all the time. It's just a matter of what else is going on.

Actually, ME3 shockwaves might be a step down for the Scion, if only because they're airborne, now, instead of grounded. Although they can go through walls now...

They could always pattern it after biotic slash, which does.

Krade
2012-09-05, 03:43 PM
So I have a few of you on my friends list for Xbox, but, as some of you may have noticed, we have never actually played together. So if anyone needs help to do the squad goal, I'll do it. Though I'll not be playing ME3 all the time, I will probably be online most of the day Friday AND Saturday. Just send me a message/party/game invite and I'll come and help (though you may have to wait a minute or five while I finish up what I'm doing).

Logic
2012-09-05, 07:46 PM
So I have a few of you on my friends list for Xbox, but, as some of you may have noticed, we have never actually played together. So if anyone needs help to do the squad goal, I'll do it. Though I'll not be playing ME3 all the time, I will probably be online most of the day Friday AND Saturday. Just send me a message/party/game invite and I'll come and help (though you may have to wait a minute or five while I finish up what I'm doing).

I am game, though my time online this weekend is limited because I have to work.

Xbox Gamertag: Yakostovian
Available online this weekend after 6 PM Pacific up to 9 pm Pacific.

Psyren
2012-09-05, 09:38 PM
Ooh, Playground no-items run? I am SO in!

Psyren Y

Krade
2012-09-05, 09:41 PM
I am game, though my time online this weekend is limited because I have to work.

Xbox Gamertag: Yakostovian
Available online this weekend after 6 PM Pacific up to 9 pm Pacific.

So that's... 9pm to 12am here. Yep, I'll definitely be on in that time frame.

Dhavaer
2012-09-06, 07:13 AM
Grr. Two consecutive consumables-only PSPs.

SiuiS
2012-09-06, 09:21 PM
Grr. Two consecutive consumables-only PSPs.

Ouch. Well, at least you've got some good ammo.
I've been getting the same. Lots of random gear too. Blegh.

-

This new game, no expendables right? Does that include equipping ammo?

Zevox
2012-09-06, 09:24 PM
Ouch. Well, at least you've got some good ammo.
I've been getting the same. Lots of random gear too. Blegh.
Haven't you already told us you have all your guns maxed out and all your classes unlocked anyway? :smalltongue:

Zevox

Krade
2012-09-06, 10:46 PM
This new game, no expendables right? Does that include equipping ammo?

Just the medigel, survival packs, missiles, and spare clips are out. Equipment consumables are okay.

Edit: And in case anyone was curious, here's a link to my manifest (you need to sign in to BSN/Origin to see it):

http://social.bioware.com/3816312/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=244439542&display=multiplayer

Perhaps we can put these in the list under our names?

SiuiS
2012-09-07, 01:00 AM
Haven't you already told us you have all your guns maxed out and all your classes unlocked anyway? :smalltongue:

Zevox

I have everything except for lights on the fury, pattern and lifts on the destroyer, and only have the base slayer chassis. I think I'm missing a Quarian male engineer appearance option as well. I also have a rank 2 particle rifle, rank 2 harrier, and everything else is at 1. Oh, wait no. Also both Balck widow and Indra at 2.

Those are all preferable to more ammo.

Dhavaer
2012-09-07, 03:39 AM
I have everything except for lights on the fury, pattern and lifts on the destroyer, and only have the base slayer chassis. I think I'm missing a Quarian male engineer appearance option as well. I also have a rank 2 particle rifle, rank 2 harrier, and everything else is at 1. Oh, wait no. Also both Balck widow and Indra at 2.

Those are all preferable to more ammo.

I'm in much the same boat, but with no missing appearance options, no harrier, no ppr and a variety of other ultra-rares topped by a black widow VII. Less sniper moar harrier plsthx.

Edge
2012-09-07, 05:49 AM
My manifest (http://social.bioware.com/2219846/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=247683329&display=multiplayer) is in a similar state. All Common, Uncommon and Rare guns and characters maxxed out, no particle rifle, a smattering of other URs, and an assortment of gears at various ranks.

Krade
2012-09-07, 10:12 AM
I linked mine, but I have all the non-UR guns maxed, all the characters and appearance options, very nearly all the rare gear maxed (but not so close withe the uncommons:smallannoyed:) and several URs at 5 (Harrier, Black Widow, Indra, Javelin, and Scorpion is at 6). The reast of my URs are 2 or 1 and I still don't have the PPR.

So I have close enough to everything that it doesn't make much difference, but far enough that I won't max everything because there are three large, time eating games coming out in the next two months.

Edge
2012-09-07, 10:24 AM
Well, I got a match-ending bug earlier today. Hydra, versus Silver Reapers. The Wave 6 objective was retrieval. The second object pops up right next to me when I'm at the far end of the map from the drop point, so I pick it up like a good little gethfiltrator, and start walking backwards to the drop point for speed's sake.

As I exit the bunker just next to the drop point, I'm blindsided by a Brute and get dropped. I immediately medi-gel only to find that the object, rather than being automatically picked up by me again as normal, has fallen through the ground where I dropped, and is proceeding to hover there.

None of us can reach the damn thing, so we just went around killing stuff for what XP we could before we got a mission failed screen.

Zevox
2012-09-07, 04:45 PM
So I have close enough to everything that it doesn't make much difference, but far enough that I won't max everything because there are three large, time eating games coming out in the next two months.
Wow, you're in quite the different position from me there. I find I have only two games coming out in the entire rest of the year that I'm interested in, one of which I still want to play the demo for before deciding whether to get it. (Paper Mario: Sticker Star and X-Com, for the record.)

Zevox

Farix
2012-09-07, 06:03 PM
Well, I got a match-ending bug earlier today. Hydra, versus Silver Reapers. The Wave 6 objective was retrieval. The second object pops up right next to me when I'm at the far end of the map from the drop point, so I pick it up like a good little gethfiltrator, and start walking backwards to the drop point for speed's sake.

As I exit the bunker just next to the drop point, I'm blindsided by a Brute and get dropped. I immediately medi-gel only to find that the object, rather than being automatically picked up by me again as normal, has fallen through the ground where I dropped, and is proceeding to hover there.

None of us can reach the damn thing, so we just went around killing stuff for what XP we could before we got a mission failed screen.

Had that happen a couple of times as well, only seems to occur on Hydra fortunately.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-07, 06:35 PM
Well, I just got an N7 Paladin. I've been waiting eagerly to try this class out!

Tome
2012-09-07, 07:12 PM
Finished playing through Leviathan. Two things spring to mind.

First, that Bioware are really bad at deciding what to cut. Seriously, why was this not included in the basic game? The ending still rankles me (rubbish ending is still rubbish), but I imagine I'd object to it far, far less if this had been in the game from the start.

Second, I can definitely see some Leviathan-based additions to multiplayer in the next DLC.

SiuiS
2012-09-08, 12:22 AM
I want to see the ultra rare mods they couldn't get debugged in time, personally.
I am still hoping for a modified thermal pack system using cool down and maybe increasing weapon weight. I can't really think of anything else they could do at that level except permanent ammo. I would like to see trade offs though, as in the days of yore; boost damage and lower capacity, boost accuracy and lower damage, etc.

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 12:44 AM
I want EA to fix the damn servers already, or go dedicated, so I don't have to deal with this constant server disconnecting! It's aggravating that I haven't been able to play a single match! It's really that bad!

Krade
2012-09-08, 02:08 AM
Wow, you're in quite the different position from me there. I find I have only two games coming out in the entire rest of the year that I'm interested in, one of which I still want to play the demo for before deciding whether to get it. (Paper Mario: Sticker Star and X-Com, for the record.)

Zevox

Mine are Borderlands 2, XCOM (that's the way it's spelled now, apparently:smallannoyed:), and Black Ops 2.

I tried doing a solo for the squad goal earlier. N7 Paladin against Geth on Bronze. Stronghold Package V, Cyclonic Modulator IV, Incendiary Ammo III, and the headshot boost III (can't remember the name, specifically). Weapon was Phaeston X with damage and piercing mods. I steam rolled everything and was setting off Fire Explosions left and right. Got to wave 7 and right as I'm about to debuff the hell out of the Prime's armor (Paladin's specialty), I got disconnected because my router (and service) is garbage. I was so upset I just lost those high level equipments I didn't even bother to try again and instead just played Dungeon Defenders and watched Avatar: TLE all day.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-08, 02:11 AM
Actually the XCOM spelling makes more sense from a militaristic sense than X-COM. Usually when making acronyms, militaries ram the words together without hyphens, which are mainly reserved for denoting variants.

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 03:35 AM
Actually the XCOM spelling makes more sense from a militaristic sense than X-COM. Usually when making acronyms, militaries ram the words together without hyphens, which are mainly reserved for denoting variants.

Plus, it's a title. It's hardly a big deal. This isn't The Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II: Rise of the Witch King, where the title is so stupidly long that you don't want to bother with even an acronym (which would be TLotRBFME2RotWK).

Wraith
2012-09-08, 05:34 AM
Second, I can definitely see some Leviathan-based additions to multiplayer in the next DLC.

Agreed. I'm hoping on that, and then another DLC containing the Collectors as enemies to coincide with the release of Paragon Lost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3KPFrrxfI) in December.

Mutant Sheep
2012-09-08, 01:37 PM
Plus, it's a title. It's hardly a big deal. This isn't The Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II: Rise of the Witch King, where the title is so stupidly long that you don't want to bother with even an acronym (which would be TLotRBFME2RotWK).

It's usually just abbriviated ROTWK, thanks.:smalltongue: (And BFME/BFME2. If you know the ancyronm you don't need the LotR part.xD)

Also, ROTWK was good expansion pack. :smallfrown:

Jeivar
2012-09-08, 02:41 PM
WELL. I can't start the game.

I haven't touched ME3 in well over a month, but I decided to finish my second playthrough just to see the new ending. And now it won't start, although it pretends the game is running. Is this some known Origin issue?

Zevox
2012-09-08, 04:08 PM
Mine are Borderlands 2, XCOM (that's the way it's spelled now, apparently:smallannoyed:), and Black Ops 2.
Ah, two FPS titles. That's why I couldn't even think of other major titles coming out in the near future - I don't pay attention to those due to disinterest. Makes sense.

As for the spelling, I was just doing it the way I've seen it done. I've never played the series myself (hence why I want to try the demo before deciding whether to buy it), and hadn't even heard of it until a certain infamous event from E3 a couple years ago.

I believe most people dispense with the "Lord of the Rings" portion of that title given the names "Middle Earth" and "Witch King" kind of imply it. Helps a bit.

Zevox

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 04:29 PM

I haven't touched ME3 in well over a month, but I decided to finish my second playthrough just to see the new ending. And now it won't start, although it pretends the game is running. Is this some known Origin issue?

Try checking Task Manager, see if any processes that use an instance of Mass Effect 3 are running. If that doesn't work, repair your install. If that doesn't work, try deleting the Origin folder (not Origin Games), and reinstalling it.

It's usually just abbriviated ROTWK, thanks.:smalltongue: (And BFME/BFME2. If you know the ancyronm you don't need the LotR part.xD)

Also, ROTWK was good expansion pack. :smallfrown:

I never said it was bad! I enjoyed it quite a bit! I just said it has a stupidly long title (and when it came out, it held the record! Not so sure anymore, but I'll check).

EDIT: Ah, no. That would be Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 5: 8-bit is Enough.

Studoku
2012-09-08, 04:47 PM
I finally got around to playing ME 2 & 3 and just finished 3.

I'm not going to comment on the ending.

Psyren
2012-09-08, 04:58 PM
I finally got around to playing ME 2 & 3 and just finished 3.

I'm not going to comment on the ending.

Out of curiosity, did you download Extended Cut? Whether you liked or disliked the ending, I highly recommend doing so.

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 05:07 PM
Great game, weak ending. It's not the worst, but I actually chose refusal.

SiuiS
2012-09-08, 05:22 PM
I want EA to fix the damn servers already, or go dedicated, so I don't have to deal with this constant server disconnecting! It's aggravating that I haven't been able to play a single match! It's really that bad!

Oh Geeze, that's still... :smalleek:
I'm sorry, mate :smallfrown:

XCOM is a remake of the X-Com UFO assault game or something, by someone else. The name change is as much to point out their non original hold as anything else.

I tried doing a solo for the squad goal earlier. N7 Paladin against Geth on Bronze. Stronghold Package V, Cyclonic Modulator IV, Incendiary Ammo III, and the headshot boost III (can't remember the name, specifically). Weapon was Phaeston X with damage and piercing mods. I steam rolled everything and was setting off Fire Explosions left and right. Got to wave 7 and right as I'm about to debuff the hell out of the Prime's armor (Paladin's specialty), I got disconnected because my router (and service) is garbage. I was so upset I just lost those high level equipments I didn't even bother to try again and instead just played Dungeon Defenders and watched Avatar: TLE all day.

Geeze. Know that feeling. I got a warning pretty early on not to bother with equipment. We're on wave three, an Asari goes down right in front I me, and before I can revive her, medigel. I ended up quitting at various points between waves 2 and 9 for the next hour before finally crashing a decent bronze game.

yes. It is a known origins thing. Computer?

-

Krogan vanguard. Huge shield and health numbers, huge DR, and huge shield regen. 40% regen from fitness, barrier and stronghold package; 40-65% DR from barrier and Rage; shields near the 2k mark and able to recharge. Pretty slick.
Gave him the piranha with extended barrel and bayonet fe closing and destroying, and the Revenant faith thermal capacity aand AP mod. The Revenant has actually been consistently outperforming the typhoon for me, I'd only because it's rate of fire means I can hang out of cover for a full ten seconds almost just dropping bullets; the typhoon's clip size is higher but so is the RoF, so it doesn't last as long. Being ally support with a rifle actually works better with a slightly inferior rifle!

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 05:31 PM
I'm actually interested in that XCOM FPS. I understand all the hate for it, but it's being made by Irrational; a.k.a., the Bioshock guys. Have a little faith.

Edge
2012-09-08, 05:36 PM
Krogan vanguard. Huge shield and health numbers, huge DR, and huge shield regen. 40% regen from fitness, barrier and stronghold package; 40-65% DR from barrier and Rage; shields near the 2k mark and able to recharge. Pretty slick.
Gave him the piranha with extended barrel and bayonet fe closing and destroying, and the Revenant faith thermal capacity aand AP mod. The Revenant has actually been consistently outperforming the typhoon for me, I'd only because it's rate of fire means I can hang out of cover for a full ten seconds almost just dropping bullets; the typhoon's clip size is higher but so is the RoF, so it doesn't last as long. Being ally support with a rifle actually works better with a slightly inferior rifle!

Actually, Kroguard Rage is bugged. Whilst the passive benefits do work, the actual benefits from the Rage state don't get applied, despite the animation playing.

Joran
2012-09-08, 09:16 PM
Completed the objective solo. First tried my glass cannon Salarian Infiltrator, then my Asari Adept. My problem is I tend to do a poor job avoiding fire unless in cover, even in Bronze.

I promoted Vanguards last week, but I had Krogan Soldier at 18. Lack of shield refresh was annoying but the Piranha and insane DR was enough.

Dhavaer
2012-09-08, 09:21 PM
I used Vorcha soldier, random/random gave me Cerberus/Jade. Went pretty smoothly until wave 10 had an R2Detour objective with two spawns between R2 and his destination. Extracted in the end, though.

Triscuitable
2012-09-08, 09:24 PM
Okay, got two matches in, then I chose to take a break. That is some damn fine multiplayer there.

EDIT: Okay, time to take another break. I'm glad it's finally working. What I'm mad at is opening a 99000 credit pack for 3 consumables, an upgrade, and a Mantis! What the hell?!

SiuiS
2012-09-09, 04:14 AM
Actually, Kroguard Rage is bugged. Whilst the passive benefits do work, the actual benefits from the Rage state don't get applied, despite the animation playing.

I dunno. I have experience with my damage output increasing from three headbutts to kill a dude, to two headbutts to Kill a dude, when raging as the Battlemaster. And I specify headbutts because of everything but the rage effects work then half the time that was the boost from "+75% damage when you kill an enemy with heavy melee". I'll check it out though why not?

I used Vorcha soldier, random/random gave me Cerberus/Jade. Went pretty smoothly until wave 10 had an R2Detour objective with two spawns between R2 and his destination. Extracted in the end, though.

R2Dtour is best name.

Okay, got two matches in, then I chose to take a break. That is some damn fine multiplayer there.

EDIT: Okay, time to take another break. I'm glad it's finally working. What I'm mad at is opening a 99000 credit pack for 3 consumables, an upgrade, and a Mantis! What the hell?!

yeah, that can happen. Your best bet is to Max out on vet packs until you've got all the uncommon guns up. And they are pretty solid; mantis is one of the better sniper rifles, doing great damage for its weight.

Jeivar
2012-09-09, 05:19 AM
yes. It is a known origins thing. Computer?

-

I'm actually so inept with computers I'm unsure which stats are relevant to this. But here is what is listed under System:

Windows 7
Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2,23GHz, 2,34 GHz
4 GB RAM
32-Bit operating system

I'd really appreciate any help.

Psyren
2012-09-09, 08:52 PM
I solo'd bronze earlier to get the "no-consumables" individual objective (N7 Pally vs. Geth) but if anyone else still needs it and would like a hand I am available to assist. I think there's still a couple hours left.

Triscuitable
2012-09-09, 10:54 PM
I'm actually so inept with computers I'm unsure which stats are relevant to this. But here is what is listed under System:

Windows 7
4 GB RAM
32-Bit operating system

GPU? Your CPU is better than mine, though I've got twice the RAM (and in a childish manner, bits) you've got, but that shouldn't be an issue. As I stated in a one-word sentence earlier, what is your GPU? That's the biggest factor here.

I solo'd bronze earlier to get the "no-consumables" individual objective (N7 Pally vs. Geth) but if anyone else still needs it and would like a hand I am available to assist. I think there's still a couple hours left.

I need some pals on Origin to give me a hand with that one.

Psyren
2012-09-09, 10:57 PM
I need some pals on Origin to give me a hand with that one.

My assistance would be Xbox-only. Sorry :smallfrown:

Triscuitable
2012-09-09, 11:12 PM
My assistance would be Xbox-only. Sorry :smallfrown:

As I checked prior to requesting your help. Thank you regardless.

SiuiS
2012-09-10, 12:56 AM

Windows 7
4 GB RAM
32-Bit operating system

It's actually a software issue on EA's side. They changed their security stuff and everything died. Computer users have been tearing their message boards apart because they refuse to acknowledge the problem exists, and even on the Xbox, I've been havin trouble ever since the Sept. 4th terms of service change. Sorry :smallfrown:

Edit: your best bet is to PM people on the PC list. I would sugget Arbitrarity if they are still playing.

Psyren
2012-09-10, 01:15 AM
Got the ToS change on my xbox too, but no problems playing at all. Sure that second bit isn't a local issue SiuS?

Jeivar
2012-09-10, 01:40 AM
GPU? Your CPU is better than mine, though I've got twice the RAM (and in a childish manner, bits) you've got, but that shouldn't be an issue. As I stated in a one-word sentence earlier, what is your GPU? That's the biggest factor here.

Oh, I meant GPU.

It's actually a software issue on EA's side. They changed their security stuff and everything died. Computer users have been tearing their message boards apart because they refuse to acknowledge the problem exists, and even on the Xbox, I've been havin trouble ever since the Sept. 4th terms of service change. Sorry :smallfrown:

Edit: your best bet is to PM people on the PC list. I would sugget Arbitrarity if they are still playing.

What PC list are you talking about? I haven't used Origin for anything except playing ME3, and reluctantly at that.

BTW: I am starting to understand all the online hate for EA.

SiuiS
2012-09-10, 05:29 AM
Got the ToS change on my xbox too, but no problems playing at all. Sure that second bit isn't a local issue SiuS?

Yes. Unless the united states is local. It's been increased for me and a close friend in California, several friends three hours time zone-wise to the east, and similar. I have also suddenly been unable to connect to the one New Zealander I know, bu that may be because New Zealand.

Oh, I meant GPU.
What PC list are you talking about? I haven't used Origin for anything except playing ME3, and reluctantly at that.

BTW: I am starting to understand all the online hate for EA.

The Opening Post of this thread has several spoiler boxes, listing playgrounders who have offered their contact information for playing multiplayer with.

Psyren
2012-09-10, 08:00 AM
Yes. Unless the united states is local. It's been increased for me and a close friend in California, several friends three hours time zone-wise to the east, and similar. I have also suddenly been unable to connect to the one New Zealander I know, bu that may be because New Zealand.

Well, I can't speak to all that - but I'm East Coast US, and have zero problems logging on, staying connected to EA servers, or playing. In the very early days of the game I would drop all the time, but now it's smooth sailing.

CreganTur
2012-09-10, 09:25 AM
I noticed a little glitchiness Friday night when I attempted to solo bronze for the weekend challenge.

Used my Geth Infiltrator on bronze against cerberus on Ghost and got all the way to wave 10. Then I got hit with an objective tag and that was that. Managed to cap 2 of them with ~2:00 to go, but I couldn't succesfully pull enough aggro to a different side of the map to give me enough time to complete the 3rd cap. Died trying.

Psyren
2012-09-10, 09:56 AM
I noticed a little glitchiness Friday night when I attempted to solo bronze for the weekend challenge.

Used my Geth Infiltrator on bronze against cerberus on Ghost and got all the way to wave 10. Then I got hit with an objective tag and that was that. Managed to cap 2 of them with ~2:00 to go, but I couldn't succesfully pull enough aggro to a different side of the map to give me enough time to complete the 3rd cap. Died trying.

I barely finished mine (10 seconds left) on Ghost vs. Geth. It's just a sucky mission type to get when you're soloing. At least with Hack, Escort and Delivery your progress is saved in real-time; with Disable, being forced to abandon a node due to overwhelming opposition can cost you a lot of time.

SiuiS
2012-09-11, 06:54 AM
Man, I hope these things drop soon. I don't even know if we succeeded; the rate at which people were burning medigel in my first few tries was ridiculous :smallannoyed:

I am finding the Battlemaster surprisingly viable in his meat shield form. I even forgot barrier one match, and was able to stay in the game. Which I measure by survivability, not score, because my allies were especially dumb this time around. A friend decided to mess around with Blueblood the Utterly Useless, a level 18 human adept, with te striker, the claymore, and a single point in singularity; the starting point, I might add. Which was fun, and added to the laughs... Especially as he consistently placed second or third. No gear. No expendables. Just lack of dumb. Another example? I spent I've waves cooking. I took a defensible position, tucked the controller in my pocket, and started boiling water, etc. while occasionally hitting left bumper so I wouldn't drop (and once to rush in and get to a download; I'm never in the right position :smallsigh:), and not only contributed - assault troopers love to walk in front of hidden Krogan and get targeted by carnage apparently - but also maintained my third place ranking.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-11, 07:05 AM
Man, I hope these things drop soon. I don't even know if we succeeded; the rate at which people were burning medigel in my first few tries was ridiculous :smallannoyed:

I am finding the Battlemaster surprisingly viable in his meat shield form. I even forgot barrier one match, and was able to stay in the game. Which I measure by survivability, not score, because my allies were especially dumb this time around. A friend decided to mess around with Blueblood the Utterly Useless, a level 18 human adept, with te striker, the claymore, and a single point in singularity; the starting point, I might add. Which was fun, and added to the laughs... Especially as he consistently placed second or third. No gear. No expendables. Just lack of dumb. Another example? I spent I've waves cooking. I took a defensible position, tucked the controller in my pocket, and started boiling water, etc. while occasionally hitting left bumper so I wouldn't drop (and once to rush in and get to a download; I'm never in the right position :smallsigh:), and not only contributed - assault troopers love to walk in front of hidden Krogan and get targeted by carnage apparently - but also maintained my third place ranking.

Tried Battlemaster against Bronze Cerberus on Dagger to get the squad goal. I didn't lose my shields once that entire time. I knew that if anything took me down, it would be a phantom with the instant-kill-sword-ninja-stab. And I was right. I didn't see the phantom until it was too late, then suddenly I'm down.

That move still doesn't make sense to me, btw. How is it that my Krogan's shields can withstand direct impact with high-speed missiles , but not a sword?

Edge
2012-09-11, 07:18 AM
That move still doesn't make sense to me, btw. How is it that my Krogan's shields can withstand direct impact with high-speed missiles , but not a sword?

Because kinetic barriers only help against high-speed objects, such a gun projectiles. Quite simply, her sword moves slow enough to pierce the shielding.

At least, that is my understanding.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-11, 07:21 AM
Because kinetic barriers only help against high-speed objects, such a gun projectiles. Quite simply, her sword moves slow enough to pierce the shielding.

At least, that is my understanding.

So the sword works because of reverse psychology!?:smalleek:

CreganTur
2012-09-11, 07:51 AM
"It's the slow blade that penetrates the shield."

Beowulf DW
2012-09-11, 08:31 AM
Is that from the Codex?

Triscuitable
2012-09-11, 08:57 AM
Is that from the Codex?

Ah, no. Think harder. If it helps, faster.

Mudpitmissfit
2012-09-11, 08:57 AM
Is that from the Codex?

Tis from the Dune books if I recall correctly.

CreganTur
2012-09-11, 09:20 AM

Ding! +12,898 points*

Points don't mean anything

Beowulf DW
2012-09-11, 09:37 AM

Well, I've never read those books...so...oh well?

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-11, 09:48 AM
Aw, I was going to say it was from Dune...

Of course in Dune, lazers create nuclear explosions when they touch a shield, a problem that Reapers do not seem to share.

Psyren
2012-09-11, 10:49 AM
That's consistent though. In ME1, physical attacks bypassed shields completely (Rachni, erupting Thresher Maws and bullrushing Krogan come to mind.) There was a codex entry for ME2 about how shields hardened in the 2 years that Shep was out of commission, but they took it out of the game (and left the audio entry on the disc.) Not that I'm complaining, husk slaps in ME2 sucked, so not having them go straight to health was nice.

Also, IIRC Phantom swords are described as "monofilament." This is the pseudosciency word for "really frakking sharp."

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-11, 10:51 AM
By "really freaking sharp", he means "an atom (or perhaps molecule )thick".

Triscuitable
2012-09-11, 11:25 AM
Well, I've never read those books...so...oh well?

Well shame on me. I'm reading it now.

Dhavaer
2012-09-11, 03:30 PM
Balance changes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 11, 2012

Overload Power
- Duration that Tech Burst power combos are set up increased from 3.5 to 5 seconds

Cryo Blast Power
- Base duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds
- Base cooldown reduced from 6 to 5 seconds
- Evolve 3 movement speed penalty increased from 20% to 30%
- Evolve 5 recharge speed bonus increased from 50% to 100%

Crusader Shotgun
- Damage increased from [530.9-663.6] to [573.4-716.75]

Graal Shotgun
- Damage increased from [80.0-100.0] to [88.0-110.0]
- Damage multiplier for head shots increased from 2.5 to 3.0

Kishock Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [645.4-806.8] to [774.5-968.1]
- Percentage of total damage that is done as bleed damage increased from 20% to 33%
- Bleed damage duration remains at 10 seconds

Guess I won't be so disappointed if I end up with a Crusader VII. That Kishock buff is huge, too.

Zevox
2012-09-11, 03:37 PM
Ooo, increase to the time Overload sets up tech bursts? I like that. Maybe I'll finally be able to get consistent tech bursts off Overload -> Warp/Incinerate with my Turian Sentinel and Human Engineer.

Also, cooldown decrease to Cryo Blast? Surprising, given it was already very short. Don't think it'll make much difference though, precisely because of that.

Zevox

Xondoure
2012-09-11, 04:22 PM
Ooo, increase to the time Overload sets up tech bursts? I like that. Maybe I'll finally be able to get consistent tech bursts off Overload -> Warp/Incinerate with my Turian Sentinel and Human Engineer.

Also, cooldown decrease to Cryo Blast? Surprising, given it was already very short. Don't think it'll make much difference though, precisely because of that.

Zevox

It appears as if a properly motivated engineer could probably slow spam every visible enemy. There's potential there.

Zevox
2012-09-11, 04:26 PM
It appears as if a properly motivated engineer could probably slow spam every visible enemy. There's potential there.
Eh, I took the damage increase over the slow increase at that rank of Cryo Blast. While slow is tempting, having yourself and your allies do extra damage seems the more useful of the two on the whole to me. Aside from maybe Brutes, the speed at which most enemies move isn't really a problem. Well, Banshees I suppose, but I'm not sure whether the slow effect would affect their teleporting, since it's not normal movement.

Zevox

Psyren
2012-09-11, 04:44 PM
That Kishock buff is huge, too.

Meh, I still hate guns that I have to charge up. I love popping out of cover to quickscope, so still Widow for me.

It could possibly be a way to encourage Human Infiltrators and Quarian Engineers to use heavier sniper rifles or shotguns. After all, you don't need a full 200% if your cooldown is already half what everyone else's is. (Or something like that.)

Eh, I took the damage increase over the slow increase at that rank of Cryo Blast. While slow is tempting, having yourself and your allies do extra damage seems the more useful of the two on the whole to me. Aside from maybe Brutes, the speed at which most enemies move isn't really a problem. Well, Banshees I suppose, but I'm not sure whether the slow effect would affect their teleporting, since it's not normal movement.

Zevox

I can confirm (from my Paladin) that icing Banshees doesn't affect their jumps in the slightest, though it does slow them to a crawl when they stop to walk. So I went with the damage buff too.

And it doesn't affect Brutes much either. Honestly, anything that will live long enough for slow to matter is also tough enough that you'd rather have the damage boost. So, damage all the way I say.

Zevox
2012-09-11, 04:58 PM
It could possibly be a way to encourage Human Infiltrators and Quarian Engineers to use heavier sniper rifles or shotguns. After all, you don't need a full 200% if your cooldown is already half what everyone else's is. (Or something like that.)
If that's the case, they need to give cooldown decreases to their other powers too. Cryo Blast was already the fastest of the Quarian's three, so that's not much encouragement there.

I can confirm (from my Paladin) that icing Banshees doesn't affect their jumps in the slightest, though it does slow them to a crawl when they stop to walk. So I went with the damage buff too.

And it doesn't affect Brutes much either. Honestly, anything that will live long enough for slow to matter is also tough enough that you'd rather have the damage boost. So, damage all the way I say.
Yeah, sounds about like what I expected. And since Banshees already basically crawl when they're not teleporting anyway, well, that's not much of an effect at all. So yeah, damage sounds like the right choice.

Zevox

SiuiS
2012-09-12, 07:00 AM
Tried Battlemaster against Bronze Cerberus on Dagger to get the squad goal. I didn't lose my shields once that entire time. I knew that if anything took me down, it would be a phantom with the instant-kill-sword-ninja-stab. And I was right. I didn't see the phantom until it was too late, then suddenly I'm down.

Kinetic barriers increase the mass of an object passing through them sharply.
Assuming the barrier triggers (given that it is now a sort of envelope rather than a during-use-only splash system, and based on shields now blocking melee attacks as Psyren pointed out), the shields make the attack worse. Due to still having their source of impetus, mass increases will not meaningfully slow a sword thrust down, but it will meaningfully make that sword do more damage to your armor systems.

"It's the slow blade that penetrates the shield."

so Batman: the dark knight rises quoted Dune?

CreganTur
2012-09-12, 08:36 AM
so Batman: the dark knight rises quoted Dune?

Where was that quote in TDKR?

SiuiS
2012-09-12, 01:52 PM
Where was that quote in TDKR?

during the "twist" of finding out Talya was Ras al Gul's daughter. She spends a few minutes elaborating on the slow knife's virtues.

So word on the street is we failed the latest operation? Makes sense. I maybe beat the singular goal, and then didn't play all weekend.

Landis963
2012-09-12, 01:57 PM
So word on the street is we failed the latest operation? Makes sense. I maybe beat the singular goal, and then didn't play all weekend.

Well, they should have made escort missions appear more often then. Also, fie upon them for making the squad goal and allied goal care about different things.

Dhavaer
2012-09-12, 03:32 PM
Considering the events so far have been:

Success
Success
Success
Failure
Success
Success
Success
Failure
Success
Success
Success
Failure

there's a decent chance we're meant to fail every fourth.

Edge
2012-09-12, 03:49 PM

Also note that the failed operations have usually preceded a DLC release.

I'm probably reading too much into this.

Psyren
2012-09-12, 04:17 PM
Hackett's failure message also seemed very cryptic and hint-y. I'm willing to bet this is a stunt and they're leading into something new.

Now if only we could all intentionally fail every weekend to see if they pass us anyway :smalltongue:

Edge
2012-09-12, 04:27 PM
Hackett's failure message also seemed very cryptic and hint-y. I'm willing to bet this is a stunt and they're leading into something new.

The failure messages for weeks prior to DLC releases also hinted at the new classes, with varying levels of directness.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-12, 05:16 PM

Now if only we could all intentionally fail every weekend to see if they pass us anyway :smalltongue:

Let's do it! It might prompt Bioware to stop railroading us.:smallbiggrin:

Triscuitable
2012-09-12, 07:58 PM
Let's do it! It might prompt Bioware to stop railroading us.:smallbiggrin:

These objectives tend to acclimate as part of regular gameplay. It's a matter of how often they pop up that's an issue.

Landis963
2012-09-12, 08:30 PM
I'm wondering what happens if we win the one we're forced to lose.

Psyren
2012-09-12, 09:30 PM
These objectives tend to acclimate as part of regular gameplay. It's a matter of how often they pop up that's an issue.

Which begs the question - did they set the number of escorts needed that high, knowing we wouldn't be able to meet it? Or did we actually meet the required number, and they failed us anyway to setup their announcement?

Or, did we well and truly fail?

We may never know...

Dhavaer
2012-09-12, 09:37 PM
Which begs the question - did they set the number of escorts needed that high, knowing we wouldn't be able to meet it? Or did we actually meet the required number, and they failed us anyway to setup their announcement?

Or, did we well and truly fail?

We may never know...

We apparently got about 231K/250K escort missions, so they don't seem to have set it impossibly high.

Psyren
2012-09-12, 09:43 PM
We apparently got about 231K/250K escort missions, so they don't seem to have set it impossibly high.

Right, just high enough that they can plausibly deny rigging anything. "See, you guys ALMOST made it!"

Not saying they're doing that - but if they wanted to, for whatever reason, there'd be little we could do to stop them.

Krade
2012-09-12, 09:52 PM
Right, just high enough that they can plausibly deny rigging anything. "See, you guys ALMOST made it!"

Not saying they're doing that - but if they wanted to, for whatever reason, there'd be little we could do to stop them.

A part of me believes they rig it, another part thinks that's a ridiculous notion, and yet another part really doesn't care because the Victory Packs have only had something worthwhile (debatable) in them three times, and we only failed one of those (and got the reward later anyway, which probably wouldn't have happened if we had gotten it the first time).

SiuiS
2012-09-13, 02:10 AM
Well, they should have made escort missions appear more often then. Also, fie upon them for making the squad goal and allied goal care about different things.

I actually enjoy that they were different. Adds to the verisimilitude.

Considering the events so far have been:

Success
Success
Success
Failure
Success
Success
Success
Failure
Success
Success
Success
Failure

I was wondering about that pattern. I personally think they set the bar exceedingly high, and prepare an extra "Bully for you!" if we manage it. But yeah, I was convinced they specifically put the medigel boost in the hardest wave set.

aye. Still, hey. Wouldn't mind some more blokes for aiming.

Dhavaer
2012-09-14, 05:32 AM
You know the 'sniping a sniper threw their scope' thing? I just sniped a rocket trooper through its rocket. Love doing that, shame it's near-impossible when not hosting.

Psyren
2012-09-14, 08:09 AM
You know the 'sniping a sniper threw their scope' thing? I just sniped a rocket trooper through its rocket. Love doing that, shame it's near-impossible when not hosting.

I do that all the time actually - my Demolisher tends to quickscope, so there's generally a rocket in mid-air when I fire. And they almost always shoot one right after recovering from electric-grenade-stun (but thankfully, before ducking back into cover :smallamused:)

Farming Geth in FBW Gold last night allowed me to put this to the test repeatedly.

Krade
2012-09-14, 12:00 PM
Played some yesterday with a guy that kept yelling at everyone to use thier missiles. I didn't have my mic in (because my good surround sound headset's mic isn't working) so I didn't get the chance to tell him that we didn't need one in any given situation. He basically pulled his out everytime we ran into a boss enemy. Even if it only had a couple bars left. Just missile. Even after missing with the first missile and it's already almost dead. Missile it again!

*facepalm*

We were playing on silver, too. Not even difficult. I was even playing Claymore Infiltrator (arguably the best boss killer).

SiuiS
2012-09-14, 05:15 PM
Played some yesterday with a guy that kept yelling at everyone to use thier missiles. I didn't have my mic in (because my good surround sound headset's mic isn't working) so I didn't get the chance to tell him that we didn't need one in any given situation. He basically pulled his out everytime we ran into a boss enemy. Even if it only had a couple bars left. Just missile. Even after missing with the first missile and it's already almost dead. Missile it again!

*facepalm*

We were playing on silver, too. Not even difficult. I was even playing Claymore Infiltrator (arguably the best boss killer).

Those guys suck. They are the offense version o the dudes who medigel at the drop of a hat.

Phoe does claymore stack up to piranha? I wa under the impression that the continuous output made up for the drop in acute damage. If the single
Shot isn't enough to kill an enemy, then the piranha is superior?

-

Noticed something strange in ME 1: Liara has an omnitool. So Liara is technically a sentinel, not an adept? She used tech and biotics, even If it was purely passive tech.
Garrus, too. Garrus is an infiltrator, though he doesn't cloak.

Sanguine
2012-09-14, 05:24 PM
Noticed something strange in ME 1: Liara has an omnitool. So Liara is technically a sentinel, not an adept? She used tech and biotics, even If it was purely passive tech.

Omnitools are omnipresent in Mass Effect, pun intended, so the fact that Liara has one say nothing about her class. Hell, Shepard uses his all of the time. You are right about Garrus though; in fact I'm surprised it took you this long to notice.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-14, 05:26 PM
-

Liara had an omintool and I believe one or two tech skills (probably Electronics). However, she had no weapon skills at all, unlike Tali.

Garrus was always a Tech/Combat guy. In ME1, they gave you one of each kind of play-style in your companions, to better compliment whatever class you picked for Shepard. Wrex is pretty much a Vanguard.

Edit:
Omnitools are omnipresent in Mass Effect, pun intended, so the fact that Liara has one say nothing about her class. Hell, Shepard uses his all of the time. You are right about Garrus though; in fact I'm surprised it took you this long to notice.

Only people with Tech abilities had an Omnitool equipment slot in ME1, even though everyone used one at one point or another.

Sanguine
2012-09-14, 05:29 PM
Only people with Tech abilities had an Omnitool equipment slot in ME1, even though everyone used one at one point or another.

I had forgotten about that.:smallredface:

SiuiS
2012-09-14, 08:33 PM

I had forgotten about that.:smallredface:

Aye, I should have been clearer. Liara has both a biotic amp equipment slot and an omnitool equipment slot. So she and Kaiden are both sentinels? I guess?
Is Kaiden even a sentinel? He uses Barrier instead of Tech armor in 3.

Psyren
2012-09-14, 09:19 PM
Aye, I should have been clearer. Liara has both a biotic amp equipment slot and an omnitool equipment slot. So she and Kaiden are both sentinels? I guess?
Is Kaiden even a sentinel? He uses Barrier instead of Tech armor in 3.

Wasn't Liara's class "Asari Scientist" or something like that?

I got the impression that Asari Adepts have time to pick up other stuff. Quite apart from the elven lifespan, Liara tells you in ME3 that biotics are basic education for them (i.e. 'Ritin, 'Reavin', 'Rithmetic,) so it stands to reason she might have had time to pick up a tech skill or two.

Quick note about the omnitool thing while I'm on the subject. When I first started ME2, I got irked at all the times my Adept/Vanguard would just whip out the omnitool like they knew what they were doing, and hack a YMIR/put firewalls around Legion/remotely disable Veetor's security camera's on a colony they'd never been to etc. All without even glancing at a squadmate. I started taking Grunt and Zaeed everywhere on my Vanguard to highlight the absurdity of it all.

Eventually I rationalized it as EDI doing the legwork, and Shep just typing in what she told him to or something.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-14, 11:57 PM
The whole point of the omnitool is that it can do nearly any computing task on command, and add in a military-grade hacking mod for those special jobs. Everyone has an omnitool in the ME universe (hilighted in a sidequest in the Afterlife VIP lounge), but tech experts are capable of working specific magic with them. Perhaps any omnitool can emmenate interference that could overheat a weapon, but only an engineer can do it in a timely manner.

Wraith
2012-09-15, 04:40 AM
Quick note about the omnitool thing while I'm on the subject. When I first started ME2, I got irked at all the times my Adept/Vanguard would just whip out the omnitool like they knew what they were doing, and hack a YMIR/put firewalls around Legion/remotely disable Veetor's security camera's on a colony they'd never been to etc. All without even glancing at a squadmate. I started taking Grunt and Zaeed everywhere on my Vanguard to highlight the absurdity of it all.

Eventually I rationalized it as EDI doing the legwork, and Shep just typing in what she told him to or something.

Strange coincidence: By ME3 I was in the complete opposite place to you.

Grissom Academy, for example - My (Renegade, no less) Engineer FemShep can hack through just about anything and remotely detonate 80% of the Mechs in the Galaxy with one gesture, and yet for some reason she stood back and let Garrus take down the 'boosted' shield that David and his friends are hiding under.

*I* could totally have done that! Delegation is all well and good, but *I* wanted to make the experimental generator explode and then verbally slap down the cocky twerp hiding under it, not leave it to a thump-monkey lackey! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Xondoure
2012-09-15, 05:02 AM

Grissom Academy, for example - My (Renegade, no less) Engineer FemShep can hack through just about anything and remotely detonate 80% of the Mechs in the Galaxy with one gesture, and yet for some reason she stood back and let Garrus take down the 'boosted' shield that David and his friends are hiding under.

*I* could totally have done that! Delegation is all well and good, but *I* wanted to make the experimental generator explode and then verbally slap down the cocky twerp hiding under it, not leave it to a thump-monkey lackey! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Class specific cutscenes... if only.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-15, 08:03 AM

If Bioware included that, Adept Shepard would be hovering around and tearing things apart with his/her mind, Soldier Shepard would be tossing grenades and going into bullet time at the drop of a hat, and Vanguard Shepard would be Falcon Punching the living hell out of all and sundry. They'd need several different cutscenes for the same events. And it would have been awesome.

Krade
2012-09-15, 09:01 AM
Phoe does claymore stack up to piranha? I wa under the impression that the continuous output made up for the drop in acute damage. If the single shot isn't enough to kill an enemy, then the piranha is superior?

I guess it's a preference thing? I was using the Claymore long before the Piranha existed. It also has range. I can head shot mooks at distances that the Piranha would be lucky to get one pellet on. Also, the single shot nature of the Claymore I fell is more appropriate for infiltrators.

The Piranha just feels too unreliable. I'll take a weaker, reliable gun over any powerful, unreliable gun. See also: my preference for the Phaeston.

Seerow
2012-09-15, 09:05 AM

I had similar problems. I'm playing through as an engineer, yet Shepard continuously asks stupid questions for the other techies to explain or correct.

Psyren
2012-09-15, 10:16 AM

Yeah :smallfrown: it got really annoying in Lair with all the biotics, and my Adept derping with pistol in hand.

Good point :smalltongue: Though you can at least fluff it as Shepard being so insulted by the shoddy tech that she doesn't even want to sully her omnitool with it. "Yo' algorithms so bad, Imma let my homeboy Garrus crack yo ****."

Though I never ran into that personally. My Engineer is paragon and I always do Overlord, so I always had the really cool moment with David Archer instead.

My Renegade Vanguard had EDI along though, and that was funny as hell. "We don't have time for this. EDI?" "Remain still." *1337 h4x, shield drops* *snarky comment*

Krade
2012-09-15, 03:41 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that the "Review Ticket" thing for if you don't get your commendation pack does work.

That is all.

SiuiS
2012-09-16, 05:47 AM
I guess it's a preference thing? I was using the Claymore long before the Piranha existed. It also has range. I can head shot mooks at distances that the Piranha would be lucky to get one pellet on. Also, the single shot nature of the Claymore I fell is more appropriate for infiltrators.

The Piranha just feels too unreliable. I'll take a weaker, reliable gun over any powerful, unreliable gun. See also: my preference for the Phaeston.

I do not comprehend your use of unreliable.
I have, with the piranha, sniped a stream of enemies from every decent nest except central dagger to the left (sniping from the central chamber to the front or right works fine, the far left is just far enough to reduce effectiveness with auto fire), and see drastic improvement if I don't spray.

As an infiltrator I am also always able to get within perfect firing range and then return to cover.

The claymore may have a tighter spread though, I haven't checked. I do know the piranha is designed to have a huge spread however, so it stands to reason.

I just wanted everyone to know that the "Review Ticket" thing for if you don't get your commendation pack does work.

That is all.

I should probably do that. What's the cut-off? And the link is in this thread or at the end of last thread? I was worried someone had just snuck an ops pack or something, but it's worth a shot.

-

Today had some fun moments with a Justicar. Pull doing +75% detonation damage/force is good times. It was often actually useful to pull a husk or cannibal past a banshee and detonate it, rather than just shoot and reave the banshee. And the warp bubble has earned my grudging respect, although I wish it operated more like Anihilation field, and reset itself. The DoT is handy though. I actually got two guardian kills via warp from biotic sphere! That was surprising.

Dhavaer
2012-09-16, 06:25 AM
Having much better luck with normal Spectre Packs than the Premium variety. A Paladin and a Scorpion in one day, as well as two uncommon gears. Still no Harrier though, but I'm hopeful.

Krade
2012-09-16, 04:10 PM
I do not comprehend your use of unreliable.
I have, with the piranha, sniped a stream of enemies from every decent nest except central dagger to the left (sniping from the central chamber to the front or right works fine, the far left is just far enough to reduce effectiveness with auto fire), and see drastic improvement if I don't spray.

As an infiltrator I am also always able to get within perfect firing range and then return to cover.

The claymore may have a tighter spread though, I haven't checked. I do know the piranha is designed to have a huge spread however, so it stands to reason.
In my experience, The Piranha is worthless at range regardless of any mods, class, or expendables. It's great up close, but that close is not my preferred engagement range.

I should probably do that. What's the cut-off? And the link is in this thread or at the end of last thread? I was worried someone had just snuck an ops pack or something, but it's worth a shot.

I'm unsure if when the cutoff is, but here's the link (http://social.bioware.com/me3wchelp.php). Might want to do it soon since once the timer at the top of the page runs out you are definitely SOL, and the review itself takes a day or two.

Edge
2012-09-16, 05:04 PM
I have to agree with Siuis. I have gotten have more ranged headshots with the Pirahna than seems reasonable or likely. I wouldn't exactly call it reliable, but I regularly somehow get the 5 or 10 headshot medal with it.

SiuiS
2012-09-17, 01:14 PM
In my experience, The Piranha is worthless at range regardless of any mods, class, or expendables. It's great up close, but that close is not my preferred engagement range.

I normally agree, but using the smart choke, and the accuracy boosts from either hunter mode or destroyer mode can do wonders. Personally, I've never ha luck with the claymore, but shotguns in general are difficult for me to use. Strange delays, inconsistent results in damage and accuracy, etc. so it takes consistent effort to get a feel for one. I'll try the claymore, see how it compares. I'll try the same build set as a control.

I'm unsure if when the cutoff is, but here's the link (http://social.bioware.com/me3wchelp.php). Might want to do it soon since once the timer at the top of the page runs out you are definitely SOL, and the review itself takes a day or two.

Alright, thanks. I'll do that now.

Triscuitable
2012-09-17, 01:38 PM
I got the Acolyte yesterday, which I've been using with my Vanguard. I loaded him up with a new shotty (loads 8 shots, semi-auto), and upgraded so I can charge and Nova very quickly. I've been able to move about with a flickering akin to a much more quickly Banshee.

Acolyte burst, charge, shotgun, nova, charge, shotgun, nova. My charge will be ready almost instantly when I use a Nova, and I can Nova immediately after a charge.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-17, 05:34 PM
I got the Acolyte yesterday, which I've been using with my Vanguard. I loaded him up with a new shotty (loads 8 shots, semi-auto), and upgraded so I can charge and Nova very quickly. I've been able to move about with a flickering akin to a much more quickly Banshee.

Acolyte burst, charge, shotgun, nova, charge, shotgun, nova. My charge will be ready almost instantly when I use a Nova, and I can Nova immediately after a charge.

Sounds very effective. The Acolyte pistol is certainly a game changer once you get the hang of it. I saw a player solo half a wave on Platinum with that gun (and a Piranha).

Triscuitable
2012-09-17, 06:26 PM
Got my commendation. The drop? The N7 Valiant. This goes straight to my Quarian Infiltrator.

Also got the Eviscerator as a drop. That goes with my Vanguard.

I have two HPs, two SMGs, two SGs, one two ARs, and seven eight SRs. C'mon. :smallannoyed:

That shotty I mentioned earlier (with 8 shots loaded)? It's absolutely killer with an Adrenaline Rush-ed Turian Soldier. I'm serious: it's absolutely insane how quickly I can empty a clip into anything. Their health drops faster than I'd ever hoped was possible.

The Valiant's also solid with the usual Cloak -> Sabotage -> Shoot-shoot-shoot combo. I've killed a great many Banshees singlehandedly with that tactic.

EDIT: Got the Javelin as my first true Ultra-Rare drop. I also got a Striker, which I will actually use instead of the stupid Javelin. Seriously! The Valiant blows it out of the water!

SiuiS
2012-09-18, 05:45 PM

Nova!guard is a pretty slick build, able to trash a lot unless you get too cocky. A personal favorite really.

The eight shot semi-auto is the N7 Piranha, and is currently the best gun in te game. It's damage per second capacity exceeds EVERYTHING else, and at maximum rank has an average weight penalty of +150%. It's also somehow really effective against armor.

Got my commendation. The drop? The N7 Valiant. This goes straight to my Quarian Infiltrator.

Also got the Eviscerator as a drop. That goes with my Vanguard.

I have two HPs, two SMGs, two SGs, one two ARs, and seven eight SRs. C'mon. :smallannoyed:

It's a matter of packs. There are only a couple of each gun in each tier. I think the phalanx and predator are both common, the arc pistol, acolyte, Carnifex all rare, and suddenly I can't recall if there are any uncommon pistols... Maybe the phalanx is uncommon?

That shotty I mentioned earlier (with 8 shots loaded)? It's absolutely killer with an Adrenaline Rush-ed Turian Soldier. I'm serious: it's absolutely insane how quickly I can empty a clip into anything. Their health drops faster than I'd ever hoped was possible.

If you get a Geth unit, or the N7 Destroyer, use hunter/Devastator mode to boost accuracy as much as possible. The Piranha can then function as a makeshift SR, able to headshot enemies from long range, just outside of where your powers can track. It's amazing.

The Valiant's also solid with the usual Cloak -> Sabotage -> Shoot-shoot-shoot combo. I've killed a great many Banshees singlehandedly with that tactic.

EDIT: Got the Javelin as my first true Ultra-Rare drop. I also got a Striker, which I will actually use instead of the stupid Javelin. Seriously! The Valiant blows it out of the water!

The javelin has its place. Single highest output, I think, except when comparing javelin I and claymore X. Tactical cloak, Sniper rail amp, sniper amp, and maxed turian training give you ~1,000 damage plus 170% more. That's nothing to sneeze at when you can shoot targets through walls.

In general a front loaded weapon is better against any enemy with health at either 99.99% damage, or double/triple that. A single shot kill is better than a full clip of the valiant, because that's a second more time you have tidier with the valiant, where with the javelin you're done. With the faster gun, the amount of damage inflicted over time begins to swing in the faster gun's favor. This is why the geth plasma SMG is one of the best guns in its weight class.

-

Tried to compare claymore and piranha today. Used a Salarian infiltrator, with debuffing proximity mine. Once I got used to the claymore it was alright. A single mine and shot could take out just about anything but a full shield hunter. Where things got interesting were in high-stress situations.

Against singular armored targets, like stripped pyros, brutes and ravagers the claymore did an astounding about of damage. Both died in two cloak cycles (prose took one cloak cycle, plus an extra mine). Upon switching back to the, I found he extra seeming half-second thr targets survived to be highly irritating.

Against double hardened targets - primes, atlases, banshees, full pyros - the claymore was remarkably unwieldly. A single claymore shot was as useful as two shots from the piranha - except the piranha got off another two shots by the time the claymore was ready to go again. In all, I could empty the piranha in the time it took to fire three claymore rounds, and the piranha has some supernatural advantage against armor that the claymore does not. Further, against targets this large, the added accuracy of the claymore (roughly 20% firing distance) wasn't advantageous. The piranha covered the entire prime/banshee torso at the same long range. Only when as far out possibly on the map did the claymore have an edge, but it lacked the ammo capacity to make that worthwhile; a single bar of prime armor is not worth two shots, when I could spend that time closing the distance.

Finally, against thick firefight situations, the piranha shined. Where te claymore was capable of definitely taking out one target at a time, the piranha was too - and also possibly dropping a second or third as well. With the claymore, proximity mines were my go-to crowd control, but the much heavier claymore made firing them difficult, at +41%, compared to the +180% of the Salarian or +200% of the geth. I wound up relying on a Power Efficiency module to stay competitive, otherwise working as a jackal and picking off stragglers or flankers.

Final synopsis: the claymore is fun. Switching back to piranha from claymore left me disappointed with the amount of time it took to kill a target. But at the end of the day, the Piranha can fulfill the Claymore'a function. The claymore cannot fulfill the piranha's function. That slight dip in firing distance is more than made up for by the huge boost in functionality, versatility and rapid response.

I will try with an accuracy build next, to see if the increase in claymore accuracy is quadratic. If so, it would still be pretty slick, possibly a superior weapon for a geth infiltrator.

Logic
2012-09-18, 05:57 PM
I just wanted to share something. I work in a factory, and there is a new large machine tool that was installed while I was away from work for a week. When it in use, it sounds almost EXACTLY like the Reaper buzz.

First time I heard it, I was a tad afraid.

Zevox
2012-09-18, 09:26 PM
News (http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-aaryn-flynn/).

The co-founders of Bioware, Doctors Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, are retiring from the game industry. Apparently they have blog posts about it explaining their decisions, but I didn't bother to look for them.

The next single-player ME3 DLC, titled "Omega," will be coming in the fall. Surprising all of no one I'm sure, but nice to have confirmed.

Further multiplayer DLC is in the works, but nothing specific is mentioned.

There are plans for another Mass Effect game already in the works. Nothing specific, though.

Bioware is also working on a new IP, "built from the bottom-up with all new gaming technology," whatever that might mean (Wii U? Next-gen Sony/Microsoft stuff?).

That last is quite surprising to me - I'd kind of assumed that Dragon Age and Mass Effect would consume Bioware's time from here on out for the forseeable future, so a new IP being in the works was not something I expected. I look forward to finding out what it is, though.

As for the founders' departure... *shrug* . Not knowing what they did exactly, I can't say I have any reaction to it myself. I'm sure it'll trigger all sorts of conspiracy theories though, given the current state of Bioware's fan base.

Zevox

Dhavaer
2012-09-18, 09:46 PM
Balance changes:

September 18, 2012

Argus Assault Rifle now available as a new Rare weapon

Locust SMG
- Damage increased from [37.7-47.1] to [40.8-51.0]
- Headshot damage multiplier increased from 2.5 to 3
- Magazine size increased from 20 to 25
- Max spare ammo increased from [260-340] to [275-350]

Viper Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [265.6-332.0] to [292.1-365.2]

Incisor Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [74.6-93.3] to [84.8-106.0]

Raptor Sniper Rifle
- Encumbrance decreased from [1.75-1.0] to [1.0-0.7]

New rare assault rifle and the locust sucks less now.

SiuiS
2012-09-19, 02:50 AM
Got the Argus a couple hours ago but haven't used it. Comparing statistical specs, it seems like an inferior version of the vindicator - slight damage boost, heavy, slower, less accurate. And then I remembered I'm comparing Argus 1 to Vindicator 10. So yeah.

Also, claymore on the geth infiltrator is waaaaay better than on anything else. I mean wow.

Dhavaer
2012-09-19, 04:52 AM
Got the Argus a couple hours ago but haven't used it. Comparing statistical specs, it seems like an inferior version of the vindicator - slight damage boost, heavy, slower, less accurate. And then I remembered I'm comparing Argus 1 to Vindicator 10. So yeah.

From what I've been hearing on the Bioware forums, your impression is right. Apparently it's too inaccurate and has too much recoil to be used at range, and fires too slowly to be used up close. Sort of like if the Wraith were an assault rifle.

Aotrs Commander
2012-09-19, 06:01 AM
News (http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-aaryn-flynn/).As for the founders' departure... *shrug* . Not knowing what they did exactly, I can't say I have any reaction to it myself. I'm sure it'll trigger all sorts of conspiracy theories though, given the current state of Bioware's fan base.

Zevox

Well... that's a thing that has happened. Like you, I'm not sure whether, in the end, we will see a change in Bioware (more than we already have in recent years) or not. Time will tell I guess. (Bioware has already come off my "automatic preorder" list anyway, though (not all entirely their own fault; I've more or less stopped pre-ordering games, like period, after being burned enough times. Currently that list is like Blizzard (Starcraft) and Pokemon (because it'd be kinda hard to screw the main games up, really; though sadly, I suspect that day will come eventually...!))

My biggest fear is that we may never again see the like of Torment now, (especially with EA's apparent crusade against those of us that don't always want to play multiplayer in absolutely everything), but to be fair, that writing had sorta been on the wall, really, since after Dragon Age.

Edge
2012-09-19, 06:17 AM
My biggest fear is that we may never again see the like of Torment now, (especially with EA's apparent crusade against those of us that don't always want to play multiplayer in absolutely everything), but to be fair, that writing had sorta been on the wall, really, since after Dragon Age.

I assume you're talking about Planescape: Torment here? Because BioWare didn't develop that, Black Isle Studios (most of whom are now at Obsidian) did.

Aotrs Commander
2012-09-19, 06:45 AM
I assume you're talking about Planescape: Torment here? Because BioWare didn't develop that, Black Isle Studios (most of whom are now at Obsidian) did.

Bioware and Black Isle worked together on quite a lot of those early AD&D games, though, and as the latter long since ceased to be (and Obsidian just isn't as anywhere near as good at it as Bioware - their endings are even worse than Bioware's (ME3 excepting)!), so Bioware was really the last hope for something like that.

Though wiki tells me Interplay have reopened Black Isle with completely new staff, including Chris Taylor. (Which Chris Taylor was a good question - as there are apparently two! - though wiki says this one appears to be the Fallout-designer-guy, as opposed to the Total-Annihilation-designer-guy, (who I have Issues with after Supreme Commander 2...!)) Colour me slightly dubious.

Truth of it is though, it's very likely that we will never see the like of Torment again, because the mandatory requirement of shiny graphics and voice-work and the complexity of same require such a larger investment of time and money that to do something as big and detailed as Torment on something like the level of ME or DA would probably be nearly impossible financially. (As they said with DA, it's gone beyond the point you can just recolour some sprites and add a portrait.)

Wayac
2012-09-19, 11:39 AM
Looks like Operation Patriot (http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/19/operation-patriot/) has been posted.

Squad goal is very specifically not soloable, but shouldn't be too hard to do. I think the Allied goal is also doable, but I could be remembering my numbers incorrectly. The penalty for last week's failure should be interesting.

CreganTur
2012-09-19, 01:57 PM
Mind posting text to those who can't follow the link at work?

Wayac
2012-09-19, 02:01 PM
Mind posting text to those who can't follow the link at work?

Sorry, forgot about that.

Operation: PATRIOT (Sept. 21st – 23rd)

Cerberus continues to put pressure on our troops, hindering our fight against the Reapers. Our allies have committed their top military units to target Cerberus’ most valuable assets: their Atlas Mechs.

Squad Goal: Extraction on any difficulty with all squad members as the same non-human race. Requires 2 or more players in squad.

Allied Goal: Kill 600,000 Atlas Mechs on any map at any difficulty.

Special Circumstances: Escort Drones travel speed reduced.

Squad Goal Success: All squad members awarded a Commendation Pack.
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack.

Psyren
2012-09-19, 02:41 PM
For Squad Goal I expect lots of Asari and Geth teams. Maybe some Krogan too?

Even though they're forcing grouping for this one I'm not upset; at least you'll know if you have a shot at completing it before the game starts, unlike the crappy "no-consumables" one where you'd have no idea if someone else broke the seal or not and screwed the other three players over.

I just wanted to share something. I work in a factory, and there is a new large machine tool that was installed while I was away from work for a week. When it in use, it sounds almost EXACTLY like the Reaper buzz.

First time I heard it, I was a tad afraid.

I lol'd :smallbiggrin:

Balance changes:

September 18, 2012

Argus Assault Rifle now available as a new Rare weapon

Locust SMG
- Damage increased from [37.7-47.1] to [40.8-51.0]
- Headshot damage multiplier increased from 2.5 to 3
- Magazine size increased from 20 to 25
- Max spare ammo increased from [260-340] to [275-350]

Viper Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [265.6-332.0] to [292.1-365.2]

Incisor Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [74.6-93.3] to [84.8-106.0]

Raptor Sniper Rifle
- Encumbrance decreased from [1.75-1.0] to [1.0-0.7]

New rare assault rifle and the locust sucks less now.

Love the Viper boost, my Gengineer will be happy. I'll give the new Locust a whirl.

Maybe I'll find an all-Geth team to join this weekend, wouldn't that be fun.

In other news I unlocked the Cerberus Harrier and I LOVE IT! Even at level 1 it blows all my other ARs away. Nothing quite like shredding a Banshee at range.

Dhavaer
2012-09-19, 03:23 PM
In other news I unlocked the Cerberus Harrier and I LOVE IT! Even at level 1 it blows all my other ARs away. Nothing quite like shredding a Banshee at range.

Hate you so much.

Anyone up for double-teaming a bronze game for the squad goal on PC? I've got a salarian infiltrator and asari justicar at reasonable levels at the moment.

Joran
2012-09-19, 03:49 PM

/cough

Obsidian has a Kickstarter for a new isometric RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?ref=live

This is the future for genres of video games that have a small dedicated following (e.g. 2D adventure games), but no large commercial base. AAA video games are such a large scale endeavor and large budgetary risk that the risk has to be spread across PC/consoles and some games like BG2 don't work well on consoles.

Morty
2012-09-19, 04:28 PM
I've thought recently about going back to ME3 multiplayer. I quit it before I got bored and immensely frustrated with the highly stupid random booster pack system. While as far as I know the pack system is a idiotic as ever, after a long pause I think I could go back without being bored...

Aotrs Commander
2012-09-19, 07:59 PM
/cough

Obsidian has a Kickstarter for a new isometric RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?ref=live

*follows link*

Huh.

Well.

That is the first piece of good news on the computer gaming front I've heard in weeks. Thanks for that.

I mean, maybe some of Obsidian's more recent stuff hasn't has some of the sheen to it, but that's not to say they weren't pretty solid even then. (And without perhaps being pushed to release before it's finished (*cough*KotR2*cough*) they should be able to do a very solid job. To be fair, NWN2's "rocks falls, everybody dies" was a horrible ending, but it did, at least, come after probably the best final boss fight (as you got all your expanded party - even ME never managed that!) I've ever seen in one of these types of RPG. So, yeah, I'll bite on that.

(Certainly rather spend my money on that than more ME3 DLC I may or may not be able to get working if they haven't sorted the PC connection issues...!)

Given it appears they are already well off on their target, I might well make a contribution (after all, that would make, what, only the third possible game coming out in the next two years...?)

Morty
2012-09-20, 07:27 AM
So, I played a few matches, earned 60000 credits and went to buy a Spectre Pack, not expecting much. Turns out, I finally got a Krogan Soldier. About time. Now I'm not sure how to allocate this guy's skills, since he starts out at level 20. Should I pick either Carnage or Inferno Grenade or rather split my points between both? I think I'll give him the Claymore shotgun with an increased clip and blade attachment.
EDIT: I ended up putting 4 points in Carnage and Inferno Grenade and maxing everything else. However, for some reason I can't see the enemy when I play. :smallconfused:

Psyren
2012-09-20, 10:22 AM
Tried the Locust on Gold - still sucks. I can't even really call it a caster weapon; Either you easily outdamage it without firing a shot (biotics) or you have the capacity for heavier, and much better, guns anyway (engineers/sentinels). I guess it's nice leveling up before you have your passive but once you can carry something heavier, toss it.

I have my Fury carry it (it still looks pretty sexy) but it gathers dust at her hip.

CreganTur
2012-09-20, 12:47 PM
I'm CreganTur on the xbox if anyone wants to try to team up. I'm available late at night EST.

Morty
2012-09-20, 01:37 PM
The bug with invisible enemies is gone. I suppose it was just a glitch with my Internet connection.
The Krogan Soldier was fun. I smashed things with melee, blew them with a shotgun and burned with grenades. Inferno Grenades are surprisingly effective at rank 4. They don't do much damage immediately, but the damage over time effect is impressive.
Not sure if the Claymore is a good choice of weapon, though. I feel as though I'd be better off with the Eviscerator. It's a lot more versatile.

Krade
2012-09-20, 03:59 PM
Not sure if the Claymore is a good choice of weapon, though. I feel as though I'd be better off with the Eviscerator. It's a lot more versatile.

You may have read our discussion on the Claymore a couple pages back, but I'll fill you in.

The thing with the Claymore is for it to be as/more effective than other shotguns, you NEED to not miss and reload cancel. If you can do that effectively, it's an extremely potent weapon. Otherwise... not so much.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-20, 04:04 PM
Fun fact: Adrenaline Surge automatically relaods your weapon instantly, which has saved my life more than once. Actually, I did some goofing around on the Citadel firing range, and I got a Geth pulse rifle with extended mags V to fire continuously until it ran out of ammo, by spamming Adrenaline Surge, which reloaded it right when the magazine was getting to 20 rounds.

Triscuitable
2012-09-20, 04:24 PM
Adrenaline Surge + Scimitar = Very, very powerful attacks. I've downed more enemies than I can count with that simple combo.

Cloak + Sabotage + N7 Valiant also does the trick.

Morty
2012-09-20, 04:27 PM
I'm aware that Adrenaline Rush reloads your weapon. Sadly, it doesn't apply to the Krogan Soldier. So, yeah. I'll switch to another shotgun. This way I'll also be able to use Carnage more often.

Edge
2012-09-20, 04:53 PM
I'm aware that Adrenaline Rush reloads your weapon. Sadly, it doesn't apply to the Krogan Soldier. So, yeah. I'll switch to another shotgun. This way I'll also be able to use Carnage more often.

The problem is that Carnage is horribly lacklustre, even against armour.

For that reason, I skip it entirely on my Krogan Soldier, max out Inferno Grenades, and never worry about cooldown on him ever again.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-20, 05:24 PM
Adrenaline Surge + Scimitar = Very, very powerful attacks. I've downed more enemies than I can count with that simple combo.

Cloak + Sabotage + N7 Valiant also does the trick.

The Scimitar is the one shotgun I have that always seems useful. I got through a Gold match quite handily with a Scimitar on my novaguard. Using the smart choke makes it remarkably more accurate. I barely even had to use my Phalanx at all.

Morty
2012-09-20, 05:34 PM

For that reason, I skip it entirely on my Krogan Soldier, max out Inferno Grenades, and never worry about cooldown on him ever again.

I've found Carnage pretty decent, myself.

Triscuitable
2012-09-20, 05:38 PM
The Scimitar is the one shotgun I have that always seems useful. I got through a Gold match quite handily with a Scimitar on my novaguard. Using the smart choke makes it remarkably more accurate. I barely even had to use my Phalanx at all.

Vanguard: Eviscerator + Acolyte
Soldier: Scimitar + That one GL assault rifle I got recently
Sentinel: Scimitar + GL Assault Rifle
Infiltrator: Valiant

So, anyone on PC this weekend wanna snag that challenge? I propose a team of all-Quarians or Turians. I've got a Turian Soldier and Sentinel, and a Quarian (Female) Infiltrator.

Morty
2012-09-20, 05:41 PM
Uh, what challenge is that? I literally started playing again today, so I'm out of the loop...

Landis963
2012-09-20, 05:56 PM
Uh, what challenge is that? I literally started playing again today, so I'm out of the loop...

Operation: Patriot

Operation: PATRIOT (Sept. 21st – 23rd)

Cerberus continues to put pressure on our troops, hindering our fight against the Reapers. Our allies have committed their top military units to target Cerberus’ most valuable assets: their Atlas Mechs.

Squad Goal: Extraction on any difficulty with all squad members as the same non-human race. Requires 2 or more players in squad.

Allied Goal: Kill 600,000 Atlas Mechs on any map at any difficulty.

Special Circumstances: Escort Drones travel speed reduced.

Squad Goal Success: All squad members awarded a Commendation Pack.
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack.

Emphasis mine.

Morty
2012-09-20, 05:58 PM
Hm. Sounds like something that needs coordination. I'm up for it, although I don't have many people from here on my friends list. I did sign up for the list, though.

SiuiS
2012-09-20, 11:55 PM
From what I've been hearing on the Bioware forums, your impression is right. Apparently it's too inaccurate and has too much recoil to be used at range, and fires too slowly to be used up close. Sort of like if the Wraith were an assault rifle.

Now I wouldn't go that far. At rank 1 it was just below a one burst kill weapon, with extended barrel and recoil reducers. It is poewrful, and it is pretty accurate, even when scoped in,its just surprisingly stcatto with it's recoil.

So, I played a few matches, earned 60000 credits and went to buy a Spectre Pack, not expecting much. Turns out, I finally got a Krogan Soldier. About time. Now I'm not sure how to allocate this guy's skills, since he starts out at level 20. Should I pick either Carnage or Inferno Grenade or rather split my points between both? I think I'll give him the Claymore shotgun with an increased clip and blade attachment.
EDIT: I ended up putting 4 points in Carnage and Inferno Grenade and maxing everything else. However, for some reason I can't see the enemy when I play. :smallconfused:

ouch, tough glitch.

the "Best" krogan soldier uses a heavy weapon with a melee attachment (Claymore used to be the best, now not so much due to the assault rifle omniblade attachment), Foritification spec'd for melee damage boosting, and inferno grenades and Rage. the grenades have the advantage of not needing a cooldown, although carnage works because the claymore alone is pretty light on a krogan.

The claymore is a decent gun. With a smart choke its got more range than the revenant, and way more kick. The slow reload hurts, but it isn't too bad.

Tried the Locust on Gold - still sucks. I can't even really call it a caster weapon; Either you easily outdamage it without firing a shot (biotics) or you have the capacity for heavier, and much better, guns anyway (engineers/sentinels). I guess it's nice leveling up before you have your passive but once you can carry something heavier, toss it.

I have my Fury carry it (it still looks pretty sexy) but it gathers dust at her hip.

The headshot damage boost was nice, I found. It boils down to a free 50% damage boost over every other gun.... Not sure if that is sufficient to make it useable though.

You may have read our discussion on the Claymore a couple pages back, but I'll fill you in.

The thing with the Claymore is for it to be as/more effective than other shotguns, you NEED to not miss and reload cancel. If you can do that effectively, it's an extremely potent weapon. Otherwise... not so much.

Yes.

Also, the claymore is more accurate when hip fired.
So is the piranha, actually. When hip-fired, it is almnost as accurate as the claymore, sending out a perfect circle of beads. Whe you scope in, the firing pattern becomes much more erratic.

I found this to be backwards, myself. With a sufficient cooldown, carnage is a fun and useful power. Though I'm using it on the Battlemaster, so that may influence things.
One of the best parts of being a Battlemaster is hitting a dude with carnage, and then following up with a biotic charge from long range. Presage your arrival with an incendiary explosion :smallbiggrin:

Hm. Sounds like something that needs coordination. I'm up for it, although I don't have many people from here on my friends list. I did sign up for the list, though.

What system? I'm pretty sure you are on there though.

Morty
2012-09-21, 06:30 AM
I am on the list, yes. I gave my data back before I took my long break. The "no vanguards" note should be removed though, as I warmed up to the class, especially the Krogan Battlemaster.
As for the Krogan Soldier... I'll stick to my build for now and experiment with weapons. I have a respecialization card if I decide to scrap Carnage. Speaking of which, it seems that the respecialization cards are more common now - grey instead of gold. Or am I mixing something up?

Krade
2012-09-21, 08:31 AM
Speaking of which, it seems that the respecialization cards are more common now - grey instead of gold. Or am I mixing something up?

Yes. They reduced the rarirty to Uncommon some time ago.

So if anyone needs to build a team on Xbox to do the challenge, let me know. I'll be online most of today (Borderlands 2, of course) so don't be afraid to drop me a message/invite:smallbiggrin:.

Landis963
2012-09-21, 09:40 AM
So I just specced an Asari Justicar adept up to lv. 20 readiness. I also have a lv. 18 Infiltrator in Salarian, Geth, or Quarian (Fem, IIRC), and several other aliens in low-level classes. Note that Adept is the only class of mine that is lv. 20 and ready to promote. Should I spec/grind anything else?

Morty
2012-09-21, 10:36 AM
Yes. They reduced the rarirty to Uncommon some time ago.

That's good. Finally I don't have to fret before assigning each point.
Speaking of assigning points... I've unlocked another character. Either I'm lucky or they've increased the likelyhood of finding them. This time it's the N7 Shadow. I'm not sure how to approach it yet... it looks rather strange.

Tome
2012-09-21, 12:40 PM
That's good. Finally I don't have to fret before assigning each point.
Speaking of assigning points... I've unlocked another character. Either I'm lucky or they've increased the likelyhood of finding them. This time it's the N7 Shadow. I'm not sure how to approach it yet... it looks rather strange.

They're the melee Infiltrator, essentially. Two ways to do them, either focus on Electric Slash or on Shadow Strike (and by extension, melee).

I prefer Shadow Strike, personally. Other classes have a strong shockwave-style ability, but nobody else can pull off cloak-and-teleport thing that a Shadow can do. Get all the melee and power damage boosts you can (ignore the description, both of them boost Shadow Strike damage), go duration/melee/two powers for your cloak and just teleport around the map while invisible. It's pretty fun.

Morty
2012-09-21, 12:41 PM
Hm. With that setup, I take it I should ignore Electric Slash.

Edge
2012-09-21, 02:11 PM
Alternatively, you can skip the Shadow's class passive and max out everything else. You lose some damage on your powers, but I find that the flexibility more than makes up for it.

Morty
2012-09-21, 02:59 PM
I guess I might try that. If it doesn't work, I'll respec. What sort of weapons would you recommend?

Edge
2012-09-21, 03:16 PM
I guess I might try that. If it doesn't work, I'll respec. What sort of weapons would you recommend?

I personally run a Phalanx with an extended barrel and melee stunner. Means I have 200% cooldown, a decent sidearm if absolutely necessary, and a nice damage boost to melee (and thus Shadow Strike).

Morty
2012-09-21, 03:18 PM
Alright. So on level 15, I have everything on 5 except for the N7 Shadow passive which I've skipped. Let's see how it works...

SiuiS
2012-09-21, 03:44 PM
Hm. With that setup, I take it I should ignore Electric Slash.

I wouldn't ditch it entirely. You're going to get the most damage, and have the most versatility, with both powers of the class. Especially with the interplay; shadow strike can leave a damage over time effect, and electric slash can double the damage from a detonation.

I've tried using a pure shadow strike build, and I've tried a pure electric slash build, and neither of them were as useful as having both - even with just a token three ranks in one or the other. Despite the numbers, having a crazy strong shadow strike is limited in utility. Electric slash is more fictional as a solo power but that's boring.

Myself, I used an assault rifle - the geth pulse rifle with an omniblade attachment and an armor piercing mod. 200%, enhanced ammo capacity (with ammo expendables) and thus an easier time staggering enemies with disruptor or incendiary ammo. It also looks cooler than the phalanx, though if I want a lightweight, strong automatic weapon with a melee booster I Gould probably use the Eagle.

Hey look! I found something useful to do with the eagle! :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2012-09-21, 03:53 PM
I just played in a Bronze match with my Shadow, using the build I'd picked. It was... sort of crazy good. Of course, it was Bronze, but the ease with which I picked off enemies with Shadow Strike was surprising.

Edge
2012-09-21, 03:58 PM
I just played in a Bronze match with my Shadow, using the build I'd picked. It was... sort of crazy good. Of course, it was Bronze, but the ease with which I picked off enemies with Shadow Strike was surprising.

Now bear in mind that a Cloaked Electric Slash will one-shot three basic trooper enemies (Assault Troopers, Geth Troopers and Cannibals). Without any ranks in N7 Shadow.

Morty
2012-09-21, 05:32 PM
I know, yeah. I tried it and it works pretty well. Quite effective against turrets, too.

Galileo
2012-09-22, 07:55 AM
I'm usually on around midday GMT.

Platform: PC

Psyren
2012-09-22, 10:26 AM
Well, that wasn't hard. Squad goal completed twice.

First game was all Asari, Gold Ghost. Two adepts (I was one), a Justicar and a Vanguard. I was reminded very keenly of Benezia's quote "have you ever faced an Asari Commando unit before?" Clearly Cerberus hadn't, because we tore through them like tissue. I almost felt sorry for the Illusive Man; Phantoms have to be expensive to make.

Then a little later was all-Krogan(!!!), Gold, . Two battlemasters, a sentinel, and my soldier. This one was Geth on Vancouver. I was reminded, quite forcibly, how freaking tough Krogan are; It takes 3 rockets to drop my shields instead of one, and 6 prime bolts. (Hunters however are still far too lethal. I was amazed at how easily they cut through my defenses when every other unit may as well have been flicking rubber bands.) The stunlock potential geth have is a big problem though. But we made it, full extraction.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-22, 02:24 PM
I'm usually on around midday GMT.

Platform: PC

First Post updated.

SiuiS
2012-09-22, 03:11 PM
Well, that wasn't hard. Squad goal completed twice.

First game was all Asari, Gold Ghost. Two adepts (I was one), a Justicar and a Vanguard. I was reminded very keenly of Benezia's quote "have you ever faced an Asari Commando unit before?" Clearly Cerberus hadn't, because we tore through them like tissue. I almost felt sorry for the Illusive Man; Phantoms have to be expensive to make.

Then a little later was all-Krogan(!!!), Gold, . Two battlemasters, a sentinel, and my soldier. This one was Geth on Vancouver. I was reminded, quite forcibly, how freaking tough Krogan are; It takes 3 rockets to drop my shields instead of one, and 6 prime bolts. (Hunters however are still far too lethal. I was amazed at how easily they cut through my defenses when every other unit may as well have been flicking rubber bands.) The stunlock potential geth have is a big problem though. But we made it, full extraction.

Asari never seem to work for me. Perhaps it's the lack of cohesion? Having four Asari means that at any point in time, an enemy is hit by 3 stasis bubbles >.<

Krogan though... Man. Especially since every Krogan has a shield power, almost doubling the capability of any shield boost they have. Plus rage. Although yes that damn chain stun is a pain in the hump.

Morty
2012-09-22, 03:16 PM
I've never really liked playing the Asari Justicar, but the Vanguard is alright, I guess. I have all the Krogan, both Turians, Asari Justicar and Vanguard, both female Quarians, both Salarians and the Turian Sentinel for the purposes of this event.

Triscuitable
2012-09-22, 03:45 PM
First Post updated.

If you could do the same for me, I don't use my Turian Sentinel too often anymore. I prefer to use my Quarian Infiltrator and Human Vanguard.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-22, 03:51 PM
Updated for you.

Morty
2012-09-23, 06:24 AM
Would anyone be up for a coordinated same species game in the near future? Bear in mind that I live in Poland so I'm a few hours ahead of most people here.

Landis963
2012-09-23, 02:35 PM
Would anyone be up for a coordinated same species game in the near future? Bear in mind that I live in Poland so I'm a few hours ahead of most people here.

Possibly. I'm in Midwest US and just specced up an asari Justicar. I'm pretty much available the rest of the day. Are you on PC?

Morty
2012-09-23, 02:44 PM
Possibly. I'm in Midwest US and just specced up an asari Justicar. I'm pretty much available the rest of the day. Are you on PC?

I'm on PC, yes.

Landis963
2012-09-23, 02:46 PM
I'm on PC, yes.

Yeah, just friend & invite me anytime(same tag as my gitp handle). Do you have an asari you could use?

EDIT: I also have a couple krogan, but they're not specced like my asari is. Also, they're kinda underleveled (IIRC my Krogan battlemaster's lv. 4, for example)

Morty
2012-09-23, 03:01 PM
I have an Asari Vanguard. I can use her. Do you think we could handle a Bronze match between the two of us? Friend invite sent, BTW.

Landis963
2012-09-23, 06:20 PM
I have an Asari Vanguard. I can use her. Do you think we could handle a Bronze match between the two of us? Friend invite sent, BTW.

Dammit I forgot to turn Origin on. Lemme accept.

EDIT: Done. Do you want to Invite, or shall I? I think Bronze would work nicely for the purposes of fulfilling the goal.

Beowulf DW
2012-09-23, 06:21 PM
Well, I just did a game with a quarian male infiltrator, two quarian infiltrators, and one quarian engineer. Did we need full extraction for the squad goal?

Landis963
2012-09-23, 06:23 PM
Well, I just did a game with a quarian male infiltrator, two quarian infiltrators, and one quarian engineer. Did we need full extraction for the squad goal?

I think just "extraction", but the more the better in any event.

Edge
2012-09-24, 05:22 AM
Actually, a dev confirmed it needed to be a full extraction.

Landis963
2012-09-24, 07:48 AM
Actually, a dev confirmed it needed to be a full extraction.

Well, it would be nice if we knew that before the event ended. :smallannoyed:

Morty
2012-09-24, 08:21 AM
Is the event over? It's been a while and I've forgotten how long they last, exactly.

Landis963
2012-09-24, 08:57 AM
Is the event over? It's been a while and I've forgotten how long they last, exactly.

Ended about 4 in the morning (US Central time), IIRC.

Morty
2012-09-24, 09:00 AM
Looks like I'm a couple hours late, then. Oh well.

RagingKrikkit
2012-09-24, 09:50 AM
It took me five tries, but I just got my team through the suicide mission without losses. I ended up replaying my soldier, and went the game without recruiting Samara, while in direct contrast to the "mixed paths reduce dialouge options", was able to intimidate Miranda and Jack, adn charm Tali and Legion. And finally, it all came together. YEAAAAAAH!

Psyren
2012-09-24, 11:12 AM
Asari never seem to work for me. Perhaps it's the lack of cohesion? Having four Asari means that at any point in time, an enemy is hit by 3 stasis bubbles >.<

It worked for us somehow. Nobody said a word, yet we somehow managed to repeatedly tie up three Phantoms at a time, which the Justicar and Vanguard would then rip through with their Harriers. And thanks to the Justicar's Reave the Adepts never had to worry about alternating Warp/Throw properly, both of us could just spam Warp.

Krogan though... Man. Especially since every Krogan has a shield power, almost doubling the capability of any shield boost they have. Plus rage. Although yes that damn chain stun is a pain in the hump.

I love rage, but it's very hard to trigger it in Gold. Melee range with Geth is stunlock city, Reapers are armored (and suicide to go near, for most) and Cerberus is loaded either with instakill units, or units that are hard to melee. (Guardians block it, Nemeses are slippery, and I never go near Engineers until I'm certain there's no turret around.)

Krogan should really have stagger resistance on par with the N7 Destroyer :smallfrown: bad enough that we're so fat, slow and easy to sync.

Morty
2012-09-24, 11:53 AM
After respecializing my Krogan Soldier to ignore Carnage and max everything else, I still didn't do very well. I think part of it is because I used the Claymore, though. Try as I might, I can't get this thing to work. I'll pick another shotgun, although I'm not sure which one yet. Inferno Grenade is pretty amazing at making things dead, though.

Psyren
2012-09-24, 12:30 PM
After respecializing my Krogan Soldier to ignore Carnage and max everything else, I still didn't do very well. I think part of it is because I used the Claymore, though. Try as I might, I can't get this thing to work. I'll pick another shotgun, although I'm not sure which one yet. Inferno Grenade is pretty amazing at making things dead, though.

I find a great shotgun for Krogan is the Reegar Carbine. It's weight is obviously irrelevant, and your durability means you can just stand there soaking fire (even on Gold) as you melt everything in a nice cone in front of you. Also, when you break through enemy shields (which you will do extremely quickly), this forces the enemy to flinch - getting you even more free hits (or a quick reload) without taking any return fire.

If you're not meleeing regularly though (and on Gold, you probably shouldn't be), go with the Sentinel over the Soldier. Fortification gives a melee damage boost, but provides less DR than tech armor. Their Lift Grenades also hit much harder than Infernos thanks to Tech Armor's power damage boost, and can even set up or cause biotic explosions for truly massive damage on heavy targets. Lift is also a single powerful grenade rather than a cluster, so you don't have to worry as much about hitting an enemy with the whole spread to get full damage.

My Sentinel's current loadout is the Cerberus Harrier and the Reegar Carbine, both modded for damage and armor-pen (though I'm uncertain if the latter applies to the Carbine - I'll have to test it.) For gear I go with the strongest shield boost I have (currently Juggernaut III I believe), then I play him as though he were a soldier. It's pretty amusing being able to run out of cover and revive people with two Pyros on me. ("Stop whining!")

Morty
2012-09-24, 12:34 PM
I don't play on Gold - it's too stupidly difficult for me to bother - so meleeing is still an option, and my Krogan do it. However, since my Sentinel is melee-focused, I wanted my Soldier to use different tactics. I'm not too hot on the Reegar Carbine, though. It's effective, but I don't like using it. My Krogan Sentinel has been using the N7 Crusader until now, but I'm not sure if it'll work as well for the Soldier.

Psyren
2012-09-24, 01:40 PM
Well, another good option is of course the Piranha, or the GPS for a long-range shotgun. You could also go for a very heavy sidearm instead, like the Paladin or an Arc Pistol.

I used to feel the way you do about Gold, but now that I have better guns and capacity upgrades to all my consumables it's not so bad. Even as a weaker class, I'm still an extra 5 rockets to save the team from a hairy situation on a money round. And the rewards are definitely worth it - even if I burn all 6 medigels and ops packs getting through a match, I make enough off it to buy 10-15 more of each. Stronger classes (All the N7s are powerful on gold), better guns and of course the Gear slot all make it much more manageable.

Try an N7 class in gold, you might get a taste for it :smallsmile: I recommend the Demolisher, and pick a nice sniper nest like the landing pad on Hydra, the top area in London, or the base in Dagger. Or try the Shadow, and focus on picking off problem-humanoids (e.g. Rocket Troopers, Phantoms and Marauders) while your teammates take out the larger threats.

Morty
2012-09-24, 02:17 PM
Maybe one day, I will. Right now, I only have one N7 class and none of the new guns, meaning that I'm a bit behind the power creep. Besides, after a few months' break, I don't play as well as I used to.

Dhavaer
2012-09-25, 04:05 AM
Apparently there's a good reason for why I can't hit anything with the Crusader: according to new tests it fires with perfect accuracy - but at the place your crosshairs were pointed 0.2 seconds ago. Which raises the question: bug or really stupid feature?

Xondoure
2012-09-25, 04:19 AM
Apparently there's a good reason for why I can't hit anything with the Crusader: according to new tests it fires with perfect accuracy - but at the place your crosshairs were pointed 0.2 seconds ago. Which raises the question: bug or really stupid feature?

I really hope it's a bug.

SiuiS
2012-09-25, 05:31 AM
It worked for us somehow. Nobody said a word, yet we somehow managed to repeatedly tie up three Phantoms at a time, which the Justicar and Vanguard would then rip through with their Harriers. And thanks to the Justicar's Reave the Adepts never had to worry about alternating Warp/Throw properly, both of us could just spam Warp.

Yeah. Whereas I have told people "Hey [gamertag], I am the Fury. You use only warp an I will use throw so we kill this atlas faster" to which the response is "oh, okay *warp throw warp throw throw throw throw* huh, my throw isn't blowing anything up is this a glitch?" :smallsigh:
I don't even bother trying to coordinate with other biotics anymore. It only ends in tears.

I love rage, but it's very hard to trigger it in Gold. Melee range with Geth is stunlock city, Reapers are armored (and suicide to go near, for most) and Cerberus is loaded either with instakill units, or units that are hard to melee. (Guardians block it, Nemeses are slippery, and I never go near Engineers until I'm certain there's no turret around.)

Krogan should really have stagger resistance on par with the N7 Destroyer :smallfrown: bad enough that we're so fat, slow and easy to sync.

Theoretically, the Battlemaster does not benefit from any of the increases during rage, unlike every other Krogan. I haven't tested it yet though.

Krogan melee on gold is entirely possible with the Battlemaster, less so with the sentinel, on gold. A solid shot from a gun to stagger, and keeping an eye on enemy locations helps. And be ready to detonate your tech armor! It's a he'll of a surprise when that phantom slips around you, your camera pans, and then she stumbles backward into melee range.
My most recent run of the Battlemaster is 6/6/6/3/5 for maximum defense and shield regeneration, Revenant with Ammo and AP mod, and piranha with bayonet and Extended Barrel. 40% faster shield regen, a long-firing assault rifle with 40% DR and Krogan durability, and a shotgun that's as strong per blast as your heavy melee for when you need to charge and destroy a target. And melee ing things on gold is fine, if you've got the tracking down. I've found more luck with nemesis using a headbutt as a stun before destroying them. Guardian, well, that's why the AP mod on Revenant. Those dudes suck.

I don't play on Gold - it's too stupidly difficult for me to bother - so meleeing is still an option, and my Krogan do it. However, since my Sentinel is melee-focused, I wanted my Soldier to use different tactics. I'm not too hot on the Reegar Carbine, though. It's effective, but I don't like using it. My Krogan Sentinel has been using the N7 Crusader until now, but I'm not sure if it'll work as well for the Soldier.

Gold gets progressively easier when you get better weapons. Even a single top tier gun can make the difference; a Phaeston, a GPSMG or Hornet, a Carnifex, a Piranha, Reegar or Claymore, and a Widow, Mantis or even Viper at rank X I all you need. The rest is timing and angles.

really? I've found that to be the opposite; there is adelay between pulling te trigger and the bullet launching. The gun will kick, but the proejectile won't necessarily leave the chamber when expected.
Still, it's a gun you should be leading with.

Morty
2012-09-25, 07:31 AM
Switching from Claymore to Scimitar seemed to work pretty well for my Krogan Soldier. It's a lot easier to use. I started out pretty well in a Silver match, but ended up last. I did have two N7 classes in the team though, so it's no surprise. I guess the vanilla classes just can't compete with the N7 ones (a Human Engineer on the team wasn't doing that well either).

Psyren
2012-09-25, 08:35 AM
Theoretically, the Battlemaster does not benefit from any of the increases during rage, unlike every other Krogan. I haven't tested it yet though.

I can confirm the melee boost at least works, as I do more damage during Rage than out of it. Dunno about the DR - I soak so much fire already that it's tough to tell whether I'm simply soaking less or there aren't as many enemies around. I may need a Banshee bolt to test it.

Krogan melee on gold is entirely possible with the Battlemaster, less so with the sentinel, on gold. A solid shot from a gun to stagger, and keeping an eye on enemy locations helps. And be ready to detonate your tech armor! It's a he'll of a surprise when that phantom slips around you, your camera pans, and then she stumbles backward into melee range.

...Detonate the armor to interrupt a Phantom? I'd have never thought of that... I'll have to try it. It's not like I have anything to lose at that point.

My most recent run of the Battlemaster is 6/6/6/3/5 for maximum defense and shield regeneration, Revenant with Ammo and AP mod, and piranha with bayonet and Extended Barrel. 40% faster shield regen, a long-firing assault rifle with 40% DR and Krogan durability, and a shotgun that's as strong per blast as your heavy melee for when you need to charge and destroy a target. And melee ing things on gold is fine, if you've got the tracking down. I've found more luck with nemesis using a headbutt as a stun before destroying them. Guardian, well, that's why the AP mod on Revenant. Those dudes suck.

I went 6/0/6/6/6, skipping Carnage. I actually have 200% cooldown (more on this later) so I could probably use it but I think the weapon damage and cooldown stuff are better for my playstyle; I find myself only rarely using Carnage/Concussive on classes that have them.

His loadout is a Disciple V and Acolyte VII. I have an elaborate backstory where he's dating an Asari Matriarch who lent him her old commando weapons for the war. Both guns are modded for melee so I'm not caught with my pants down, and the Acolyte works great since I can stand out in the open to charge it without getting instantly shredded like some of my other classes would be.

Gold gets progressively easier when you get better weapons. Even a single top tier gun can make the difference; a Phaeston, a GPSMG or Hornet, a Carnifex, a Piranha, Reegar or Claymore, and a Widow, Mantis or even Viper at rank X I all you need. The rest is timing and angles.

In addition to this, consumable capacity is very handy; When all 4 members have 5 rockets/medigels, you've got a lot more room for error. But if you're undergeared and need money, FBW Geth farming is a great entry to Gold; just use a class that can contribute like the Human Adept, Salarian Engineer, any Infiltrator (specced for duration) or the N7 Slayer and you'll at least feel like you're helping. (The Adept and two N7s above can shoot their powers through walls, helping you avoid trouble, while the Engineer can hold the door and Infiltrators can run out to grab targets on Disable missions.

Mudpitmissfit
2012-09-25, 05:18 PM
Well that was fun :smallbiggrin:

Inspired by the above posts I have just dipped my toe into the gold matches, I must say twas rather enjoyable.

I died, on numerous occasions , but I had a good team , one player who clearly knew what she/he was doing ( saved the squad and ended up soloing multiple banshees more than once ) and we stuck together for four matches.

Towards the end I think I could definitely stand to do more matches , and I have developed serious love for my N7 fury as a result of tonight's little run.

on a related note - are the premium specter packs worth it ? I am rather the n00b so I have very little unlocked ( although I did get quite a few n7 weapons and a geth engineer from tonight's run )

Tome
2012-09-25, 05:54 PM
on a related note - are the premium specter packs worth it ? I am rather the n00b so I have very little unlocked ( although I did get quite a few n7 weapons and a geth engineer from tonight's run )

If you're after Rares and Ultrarares? Yes.

Wraith
2012-09-25, 05:56 PM
Depends on what you're trying to get out of them. :smallsmile:

If you are still fairly new and you only have a few weapons at low levels, you're generally better off buying lots of Veteran Packs instead. You'll get a good selection of stuff, and quickly, along with a good stash of consumable items to see you through.

Once you have all of the uncommon items at high level, then PSPs are worth getting, as you're maximizing the chance that you're only going to get the valuable, Ultra-rare items from them, instead of spending 99,000 credits in order to get what should be a very cheap rare item.

Edit: Ninja'd. Almost thought I'd got it that time. :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2012-09-25, 06:14 PM
I can confirm the melee boost at least works, as I do more damage during Rage than out of it. Dunno about the DR - I soak so much fire already that it's tough to tell whether I'm simply soaking less or there aren't as many enemies around. I may need a Banshee bolt to test it.

Can you? Most people take the evolution that increases your melee damage by 75% when you killed a target with krogan charge in the last 30 seconds. That's the problem, you have to build a completeluy defensive krogan to check. I'd swear there was a noticeable difference, too. But who knows?

...Detonate the armor to interrupt a Phantom? I'd have never thought of that... I'll have to try it. It's not like I have anything to lose at that point.

Pretty much. Worst case scenario, you have no armor and get gunned down. But then you can be revived, so.

I went 6/0/6/6/6, skipping Carnage. I actually have 200% cooldown (more on this later) so I could probably use it but I think the weapon damage and cooldown stuff are better for my playstyle; I find myself only rarely using Carnage/Concussive on classes that have them.

His loadout is a Disciple V and Acolyte VII. I have an elaborate backstory where he's dating an Asari Matriarch who lent him her old commando weapons for the war. Both guns are modded for melee so I'm not caught with my pants down, and the Acolyte works great since I can stand out in the open to charge it without getting instantly shredded like some of my other classes would be.
[quote]

I grabbed carnage specifically because I wanted a carnage, non-biotic charge, non-melee build this time. Carnage turned out pretty handy with the revenant, and even more so with incendiary ammo. Light someone up and hit them wit carnage at the last moment; BOOM. Good fun.

My latest build sacrificed the passive training skill, so I'd have everything. I realized that if the rage boosts really don't work though, then the extra point to rage with two kills is wasted and put them into the passive. I've got a 41% recharge, I think. He's a heck of a backline, no-bones-about-it krogan. Not all in theenemy's face, but definitely my team's answer to the cerberus turret.

[quote]
In addition to this, consumable capacity is very handy; When all 4 members have 5 rockets/medigels, you've got a lot more room for error. But if you're undergeared and need money, FBW Geth farming is a great entry to Gold; just use a class that can contribute like the Human Adept, Salarian Engineer, any Infiltrator (specced for duration) or the N7 Slayer and you'll at least feel like you're helping. (The Adept and two N7s above can shoot their powers through walls, helping you avoid trouble, while the Engineer can hold the door and Infiltrators can run out to grab targets on Disable missions.

Aye. The slayer is one of the best, on white/geth/gold. From the main console area, you can teleport dodge backwards out of the room, and send biotic slashes through the wall to cover allies while they retreat (or just to avoid getting shot to death).

Well that was fun :smallbiggrin:

Inspired by the above posts I have just dipped my toe into the gold matches, I must say twas rather enjoyable.

I died, on numerous occasions , but I had a good team , one player who clearly knew what she/he was doing ( saved the squad and ended up soloing multiple banshees more than once ) and we stuck together for four matches.

Towards the end I think I could definitely stand to do more matches , and I have developed serious love for my N7 fury as a result of tonight's little run.

That's exactly what drew me in; a single good team doing four or five games, made me think "Wow, this is actually not so bad. Pretty fun too!'

The premium Spectre packs are totally worth it. You'll get rares, at least 2 in a pack, dsometimes more, and you'll also be able to get the uncommons and commons at a much slower pace. What you want to do is max pout a single useful gun of choice from the veteran packs (I suggest Phaeston, Geth Pulse Rifle or Mantis; Phalanx and Tempest are good too) and then devote the rest of your time to PSPs until you're satisfied.

At no point whatsoever is a spectre pack worth the price, though. A spectre pack costs 60k, and gives you 1 rare, a PSP gives you 2 at 99k. For the cost of three spectre packs you can either get 3 rares, with no chance at an ultra rare, or you can get 4 rares with a decent shot at an ultra rare.

Jumb equipment packs are usefule for when you've finally maxed out vet packs, otherwise buying veteran packs for the guns should give you plenty of consumables.

Krade
2012-09-25, 06:32 PM

Premium Spectre Packs (PSPs) are good for getting your Rares maxed out faster. After that, I have found that regular Spectre Packs are best for gear/Ultra Rares. They also give you more and more useful consumables than PSPs. You can get up to four level 3 consumables in a SP and usually only two level 4 consumables from a PSP. Those level 4s might sound nice, but they're only ammo and a couple other things, so they'll basically never drop weapon amps or most of the armor upgrades.

SiuiS
2012-09-25, 07:40 PM
Premium Spectre Packs (PSPs) are good for getting your Rares maxed out faster. After that, I have found that regular Spectre Packs are best for gear/Ultra Rares. They also give you more and more useful consumables than PSPs. You can get up to four level 3 consumables in a SP and usually only two level 4 consumables from a PSP. Those level 4s might sound nice, but they're only ammo and a couple other things, so they'll basically never drop weapon amps or most of the armor upgrades.

Huh. That's not like my experiences at all. I get several amps and such from PSPs, but that may be because I've got full thermal clip packs.

Dhavaer
2012-09-25, 09:56 PM
Balance changes!

September 25, 2012

Battlefield 3 soldier kit now available as a new Rare card

Typhoon Assault Rifle
- Recoil no longer gets worse as the weapon levels up.

Striker Assault Rifle
- Max spare ammo increased from [48-60] to [60-72]

Eagle Pistol
- Damage increased from [74.9-93.7] to [86.1-107.7]
- Encumbrance decreased from [0.6-0.25] to [0.45-0.25]

Paladin Pistol
- Encumbrance decreased from [1.25-0.7] to [1.0-0.7]

Talon Pistol
- Encumbrance decreased from [1.1-0.6] to [0.9-0.6]

Carnifex Pistol
- Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.2-0.7]

Piranha Shotgun
- Clip size decreased from 8 to 6

Frag Grenade Power
- Base damage increased from 750 to 900
- Evolution 4 bleed duration reduced from 10 to 5 seconds. The total damage applied remains the same.

Lift Grenade Power
- Base damage increased from 750 to 900
- Evolution 3 increase to max grenades increased from 1 to 2

Sticky Grenade Power
- Base damage increased from 900 to 1100

Cluster Grenade Power

Inferno Grenade Power
- Base damage increased from 125 to 150 per second
- Evolution 6 impact radius bonus increased from 40% to 50%

Zevox
2012-09-25, 10:14 PM
The Carnifex got heavier? Damn it, I already needed more ranks in that thing and/or in my Pistol ULM mod to use it - now it's going to take even more.

Striker got more ammo, nice.

Pirannah got sort of nerfed, I guess? Don't know whether an ammo decrease will affect it that much given the kind of firepower everyone says it has.

Zevox

SiuiS
2012-09-26, 02:41 AM
The Carnifex got heavier? Damn it, I already needed more ranks in that thing and/or in my Pistol ULM mod to use it - now it's going to take even more.

Striker got more ammo, nice.

Pirannah got sort of nerfed, I guess? Don't know whether an ammo decrease will affect it that much given the kind of firepower everyone says it has.

Zevox

I was about to ask about the battlefield soldier, actually. Just got one. Any idea on how to spec him?

I noticed the increase in damage from frag grenades, too. Impressive. They've become more tactical, as every time I dropped one I staggered an atlas. It was neat.
The Carnifex weight boost is nice. I mean, it sucks, but it does make other hand guns actually useful for a change. Once you got Carnifex ten there was seriously no need to ever bring a different gun to the fight.
Finally, the reduction on piranha clip size is going to hue te gun pretty bad. It's damage output was based on getting a full 8 shots out in about 3 seconds, averaging (782*8)/3=2,085 per second, meaning a geth infiltrator with hunter mode, Tac cloak and proxy mine was striking with three and a third javelins every full second. The lack of a reload cancel for the piranha, and it's reload speed, should cut it back enough not to be the game's best weapon.

Speaking of, I've got the argus at rank VII, and the eagle at the same. the eagle is actually useful on adepts, I've found, though that may have been the surprise damage boost I didn't know about. I figured it's stronger than most assault rifles, why not give it a go? The argus however is still terrible. Inaccurate, slow, and with heavy enough recoil to suck. For its weight, I'm better off with the vindicator, which can at least be budge up to about the same damage (due to not requiring a recoil reducer) and save myself the weight.

EDIT: quick and dirty math, the eagle at Rank VII; 100.5 damage per slug. That exceeds the typhoon in single-shot damage. Wow.the harrier averages, what, 112? The eagle heavy pistol is now the strongest SMG XD

Morty
2012-09-26, 06:57 AM
Sigh. For some reason, I'm doing awful all of a sudden. Whenever I play, I feel like my teammates just murder everything before I can get off a shot. Maybe it's because I use old characters and guns? Or I just got rusty during my break.