PDA

View Full Version : morphing sizing battlefist

Venger
2012-09-02, 01:26 PM
so. how would these things interact? can I turn the fist into any weapon? or is it only light weapons? I know morphing says any the same kind (one-handed, light, twohanded) gauntlets are light, and I believe that a battlefist is based off it, but uses 1d6 damage for slam (I'm talking about renegade mastermaker)

My question is:

since sizing lets me change the battlefist to any size, I could presumably bump it to large/huge, but I think there are rules for a medium greatsword is a large longsword or something. is there a chart or page number someone has? I can't find it on the srd or in the dmg.

does my question make sense? could I turn my fist into a large longsword (which I think is light) but is a medium greatsword or something else like that?

That_guy_there
2012-09-02, 02:47 PM
so. how would these things interact? can I turn the fist into any weapon? or is it only light weapons? I know morphing says any the same kind (one-handed, light, twohanded) gauntlets are light, and I believe that a battlefist is based off it, but uses 1d6 damage for slam (I'm talking about renegade mastermaker)

My question is:

since sizing lets me change the battlefist to any size, I could presumably bump it to large/huge, but I think there are rules for a medium greatsword is a large longsword or something. is there a chart or page number someone has? I can't find it on the srd or in the dmg.

does my question make sense? could I turn my fist into a large longsword (which I think is light) but is a medium greatsword or something else like that?

BAttlefists aren't weapons, as such... they increase the damage of a warforged's slam attack, they don't deal damage on their own. for instance it seems to me that unless you install the battle fist into your body, it has no effect ("any warforged character capable of using a magic item can use the same item as a warforged component. Warforged components use the special rules given below, and otherwise conform to the normal rules for creating and using magic items.
A warforged component usually occupies the same space on the body that a magic item of the same kind normally would. Components that do not occupy any space on the body cost twice what they would cost as ordinary magic items. These components only work when bonded to the body of a warforged; they are not usable by members of any other race.")
http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/warforged-components

If that is how it works (enhancing the slam, not dealing damage as a "stand alone" weapon) then the morphing quality has effectively no value to it, since a slam isn't a weapon but a natural attack (IIRC). And at best sizing could bump it up by one damage die (so your slam becomes 2d6 instead of 1d8) but usually size increase like this don't stack (see how the powerful build and strong arm bracers interaction), acting much like improved natural attack.

Compare the battle fist to the Armblade. This is specifically a component that acts in all ways as the weapon it resembles.

If the battle fist acts as a "special" Spiked Gauntlet (since it deals 1d8 damage instead of the 1d6 for a large spiked gauntlet) it would be a light simple weapon. Morphing allows you to change it to any other light weapon for your size (medium). Sizing then allows you to make it bigger or smaller... but larger weapons become harder to use. Effectively making any 'large' light weapon a one-handed weapon for your medium sized warforged.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm

Venger
2012-09-02, 04:25 PM
these things are all completely true for the base version of the battlefist in ECS. Sorry I wasn't more clear that I was talking about the renegade mastermaker's class feature which is also called "battlefist" it says I gain a slam dealing 1d6+str that I'm automatically proficient with.

it is also specifically called out as being able to be treated as both natural and manufactured for spells/infusions, so I think that would make it eligible for sizing/morphing, unless I'm reading something incorrectly.

thanks for the chart, I knew it was somewhere. so if I moved a light weapon (say a mace) up 2 to huge, it's now 2 handed? I know I'd take a penalty, but the morphing/sizing thing was intended more for utility than any sort of greater mighty wallop style colossal +++ing.

That_guy_there
2012-09-02, 11:27 PM
Ah, well i missed that part of the first post... :smallfrown: whoops....

Anyway the second part of your most recent post seems most likely then.

TuggyNE
2012-09-03, 12:14 AM

That's a 3.0 rule. 3.5 doesn't do sizing the same way; in particular, a large creature can't wield a weapon designed for a medium creature without penalties, and (generally) vice versa; also, there's no automatic handedness conversion, so a greatsword for a medium creature is just a greatsword for a medium creature.