PDA

View Full Version : ok to dm without much play experience?

zlefin
2012-09-02, 03:02 PM
Due to my interests (world-building, designing npcs and such, battle tactics);
it's been suggested I try dm'ing.
However I have fairly little play experience; i'm reasonably familiar with the rules. Is it doable to dm without much play experience, or should I try to get some more play first?
I've tried joining a few pbp games on here, but they usually collapse before long.

Boci
2012-09-02, 03:03 PM
Have you considered trying to run a pre-made module?

Ernir
2012-09-02, 03:11 PM
I think I might have had about five sessions of play before I started DMing. It worked out.

Don't be afraid of "doing things the wrong way", relax, and try to have some fun.

*Hands zlefin a license to DM*

Have you considered trying to run a pre-made module?
A pre-made module doesn't sound like a very useful tool considering the OP's claimed interests.

It's not like most modules' encounter balances are better than a new guy's guesswork anyway...

Aemoh87
2012-09-02, 04:28 PM
It's all relative to the players your playing with. If they are experienced and you are not you will miss lots of important details. But if everyone is just as experienced as you, go for it.

rkarnes
2012-09-02, 05:44 PM
It's all relative to the players your playing with. If they are experienced and you are not you will miss lots of important details. But if everyone is just as experienced as you, go for it.

This is true.

Sometimes, showing up at a FLGS and drawing a pool of neckbeards to populate your game is asking for trouble. Gamers are... well, a lot of the time we are know-it-all jerks. If you want to DM, then start a game, find some players, and play. A DM doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable at the table, but for a game to run smoothly, there has to be enough respect among the players for the DM to ask for input from more experienced players. By the same token, the players have to be respectful enough of the DM to let some stuff slide. It's a weird hobby, and it does take a lot of effort and energy... but when it's good, it's great.

Just do not be afraid to start over with another group if your first one does not work out.

shadow_archmagi
2012-09-02, 06:04 PM
I started GMing with no experience whatsoever. Admittedly, I was with two good friends who had no experience and no neckbeard compulsion, so it was the best of all learning environments.

Bard for Kicks
2012-09-02, 06:14 PM
This is true.
A DM doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable at the table, but for a game to run smoothly, there has to be enough respect among the players for the DM to ask for input from more experienced players.

To gain respect from your group, you need to know the rules. The rules provide the structure for a DM to flesh out a campaign without collapse (hopefully). If you like one type of character...for instance, if you like magic and only played casters, make sure you still familiarize yourself with grappling, sneak attacks, etc...or your warriors will lose respect for you. Also, make sure you know the boring rules. A lot of players skip over the lame parts of D&D (nitpicky rules) but as a DM, you have to know these things in case of it coming up.

Godskook
2012-09-02, 06:31 PM
I tried it, and its been 2 years strong so far.

Some tips:

1.Don't start at lvl 1 - its really simple, cause if you're new to DMing, starting at lvl 1 is *BAD*. Crits are almost always lethal, and people can't afford healing items to keep them alive from even poor damage rolls.

2.Vary your encounters. Use single big monsters, use mobs, use small groups, etc, etc. Use mixed groups too.

PaperMustache
2012-09-02, 08:09 PM
Play with friends who know the rules, not strangers who are going to get impatient with you for finding your ground. I threw together a group at a table top club the first time I tried to DM and it was horrible. I had one player sneaking in high level items that they shouldn't have had, one guy who rage quit and came back every five minutes, and another guy who kept complaining about my DMing under his breath. If you've got a good group that's going to help you DM properly, go for it. Otherwise, be a player until you have a better handle on the rules.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-02, 08:14 PM
Play with friends who know the rules, not strangers who are going to get impatient with you for finding your ground.

This, so much this.
They don't even have to know the rules, but play with friends. People that care about you are more likely to understand your mistakes as something natural.

rexreg
2012-09-02, 10:25 PM
if your players are experienced w/ the system, don't be afraid to ask questions about rules...
players will always throw you curve-balls as far as what they do...if you end up needing swimming rules, don't know them off the top of your head, & don't want to take the time to look them up--ask if anyone else knows the rules...& then look them up after the session is over

Amphetryon
2012-09-02, 11:13 PM
If it were a requirement that you had extensive prior play experience in a system before DMing it, nobody could DM a new system.

Just be up-front and honest with your players, and you'll be more apt to play with people you enjoy the game with.