PDA

View Full Version : Lyre of building questions?

JohnDaBarr
2012-09-02, 03:42 PM
First of all if you want to build something with the Lyre you need the materials to do so, correct?

Can you make complex buildings like castes/mansions/labyrinths and do you require any check besides the perform check? (engineering/masonry come to mind)

On what depends how good the work will be or does the Lyre simply make everything in average quality?

With a high enough perform skill how long can you actually play the damn thing?

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-09-02, 04:47 PM
First of all if you want to build something with the Lyre you need the materials to do so, correct?

Can you make complex buildings like castes/mansions/labyrinths and do you require any check besides the perform check? (engineering/masonry come to mind)

On what depends how good the work will be or does the Lyre simply make everything in average quality?

With a high enough perform skill how long can you actually play the damn thing?

Hmmm, good questions. I'd say you do need the materials. The Lyre provides labour, not raw goods. And I guess one can play it as long as one manages based on the perform checks. A mid-high level bard could play it indefinitely, I guess.

Now, the harder bit. I think there's a bit of RAI by DM involved here. I would rule that if a character wanted to build something really complex (an impressive mansion, with a statue garden and stable complex for example) he or she needs to 'oversee' the project and make some roll. That can be an Knowledge architecture/engineering roll, for example. I would also rule that the quality is 'decent' by default (which is higher for a mansion than for a ditch). For superior quality, I would let the player roll a craft check.

Of course, other DMs might rule that the 'labour' provided by the Lyre includes expert architects, engineers and crafters and feel that complex buildings with high quality can be provided by the Lyre.

JohnDaBarr
2012-09-03, 06:41 AM
thx on the reply

Just want to add that after a certain amount of time (lets say 16 hours of playing the Lyre) there should be some save against exhaustion.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-03, 07:17 AM
thx on the reply

Just want to add that after a certain amount of time (lets say 16 hours of playing the Lyre) there should be some save against exhaustion.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationLesser.htm ?

JohnDaBarr
2012-09-03, 01:51 PM
ok yeah I get it.....

If you can shatter reality then you can play the damn Lyre for eternity!

GoatBoy
2012-09-03, 02:57 PM
Just be a Warforged. You can play forever.