PDA

View Full Version : Meta Magic Rods. And other items.

Ranting Fool
2012-09-02, 05:36 PM
A little help from the playground,

A: my Warlock player is asking about Meta Magic Rods.... that work for spell like ability.

Still and Silent for preference

Can you get rods that do more then one meta magic at once?

B: Is there any magic item that allows a character to do a disguise skill check as a standard action / Full round (Normally takes 1D3 min)

Flickerdart
2012-09-02, 05:50 PM
There are no metamagic rods for SLAs, and you can't combine the rods (IIRC the MIC magic item combining stuff doesn't cover rods).

As for disguise checks, you can use the Hat of Disguise for Disguise Self.

Ranting Fool
2012-09-02, 06:03 PM
As for disguise checks, you can use the Hat of Disguise for Disguise Self.

He has one but also has quite a few ranks in Disguise.

"If you use this spell to create a disguise,
you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check."

I've been reading it as "The hat complements the disguise check" but re-reading now I'm wondering if the Hat just works perfectly unless someone pokes you in the face or when ever you use it you get a free disguise without the need of a kit.

It's late and I'm confused, I blame the painkillers I'm on :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

watchwood
2012-09-02, 06:11 PM
There's no Metamagic Rods for SLAs - though you could always houserule something that's warlock specific, since you're a DM.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-02, 06:31 PM
Don't SLAs already lack components, or does Warlock require them anyway?

Metamagic Rods for Warlock SLAs seems fair and balanced to me. Still and Silent are just going to let him escape grapples and "cast" unnoticed... 3 times a day and he has to pay for them. His EB is a joke, so it might be fine to let him get Maximize or Empower too. You don't need to hold rods for them to work, AFAIK they specify "possessor" not "wielder" (Rod of Still Spell wouldn't make much sense if it needed to be in your hand to use, anyway).

I can't think of many such quick-disguise items other than Hat of Disguise. A few magic armor/clothes in MIC let you switch to pre-set disguises.

Flickerdart
2012-09-02, 06:33 PM
A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost.

Spell-like abilities are already stilled and silent.

killianh
2012-09-02, 06:45 PM

this pretty much, rule wise he doesn't need the rods at all. Not sure on the other point but if you allow him DFA invocations (some DMs I know will to give a warlock more options) he can pick up the lesser invocation humanoid shape and just change, though that doesn't defend against magical perception. Why does he need to do it as a standard action? usually you change in hiding then come out as the person you are impersonating.

If you have disguise self then its a standard action to put the glimmer up and the disguise check is used against a spot or sense motive. hopefully that helps clear that up a bit.

dextercorvia
2012-09-02, 07:36 PM

That isn't so true for Warlocks. They have somatic components. Covers silent though.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-02, 10:16 PM
Yes, Warlocks have somatic components for their invocations. Which is really annoying given that their Flee the Scene invocation (ie, Dimension Door) does *not* bother to change this rule... Dim Door w/ somatic kinda defeats the whole point of Dim Door...

But yeah, you could houserule meta rods to work w/ invocations. It would not be broken in the slightest.

Unfortunately...RAW, there aren't still metamagic rods. I guess the game designers thought it was self-defeating to need a rod when you can't move your hands (except for the part where meta rods don't require being held to be used).

Today's lesson: strict RAW sucks!

Snowbluff
2012-09-03, 09:49 AM

Wait, I thought the Invocations had a pretty harsh caveat of not having that advantage... let me do some digging.

EDIT: Twice SSed. Where does it say the have that component? I could not find it.

dextercorvia
2012-09-03, 10:00 AM
Under their armor proficiency, but it mentions it under Invocations (at the end).