PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack for NPC classes?

Kol Korran
2012-09-03, 12:40 AM
This stems from a question I asked in the simple Q&A thread:

Q 808
Is there some feat or ability that can be used to give sneak attack ability to NPC classes? I don't have that many books, but i can get some to look through.

More specifically- Is there a way to make a 5th level expert with sneak attack? Or a 5th level warrior? without adding PC class levels?

A 808 No.

Generally speaking, sneak attack comes from class abilities or monster levels. A Derro has sneak attack, so you could make a 6th level Derro NPC character (3 monster HD, +2 LA, Expert 1/Warrior 1) with sneak attack. There are no single feats which grant sneak attack. The combination of Martial Study and Martial Stance (Tome of Battle, pages 31-32) will allow you to pick up Assassin's Stance ─ if the character also has martial initiator level 5, meaning character level 10 without martial adept classes. The spell Hunter’s Eye (Player's Handbook II, pages 114-115) temporarily grants sneak attack ability, but usually requires at least 8 levels of Ranger to be able to cast.
(I was sure there was some sort of guerilla fighting feat somewhere)

So I'm a bit stumped. Here is my problem: In my campaign rules martial (or most martial) get an altered version of maneuvers from the ToB. (working more like spontaneous vanician casting, the details are not important). This includes the rogue. PC classes are also kept for special individuals most times.

I wish to create sort of infiltration experts, which have many skills but I'd like not to make them outright rogues (thinking experts) for two reasons:
- They are not THAT distinct or battle savvy.
- Plus, since they are going to be many of them, and since it would be a hassle to keep track of all their maneuvers.

But I'd like them to have some combat ability to cause greater amount of damage. Sneak attack seemed ideal, but apparently unavailable. I was thinking of maybe home brewing a feat? but what would be fairly balanced? (Other suggestions of solutions are welcome)

I was thinking perhaps a feat that grants 1d6 SA but increases every 4 levels, and does not stack with existing sneak attack? perhaps requiring 4 ranks in stealth skill?

your thoughts?

(Search word: piratewitch)

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 01:17 AM
There is a dagger in Shattered Gates of Slaughtersomething (an adventure) that grants 1d6 sneak attack. It's not expensive.

TuggyNE
2012-09-03, 01:27 AM
Try something like UA's Generic!Expert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#expert). It has a wide list of bonus feats. Note, though, that it's presented in a way that makes it sound like part of a complete replacement for base classes, for what that's worth.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-03, 01:33 AM
If you use generic base classes (and generic class feature feats) from Unearthed Arcana (and the SRD), then you can take incremental Sneak Attack feats that grant +2d6, +3d6, and +4d6 (stacking) with prerequisites of Hide/Move Silently 4, 11, and 18 ranks, respectively. This is not advised, however, as the generic classes (and feats) were never intended to be used alongside PC classes (although the feats mostly just give melee nice things, which you seem OK with doing, so if you use it carefully, you should be okay).

Alternatively, if you're not that attached to the Expert, you could make them Factotums (Factotii?) instead. At fourth level, they gain a minor Sneak Attack ability. Using Iaijutsu Focus (in-class as an Expert or cross-class) would be a decent lesser analogue for Sneak Attack (you make a skill check to do bonus damage based on the check result, but can only do it the turn you draw a weapon against a flat-footed enemy). Scouts and Spellthieves (with their Skirmish and Sneak Attack, both of which progress at half speed) are also possible choices. In high levels, a dip in Swordsage (or two feats) can grab you Assassin's Stance for Sneak Attack +2d6, although I'm guessing that these are not high level enemies. For the Factotum, Spellthief and Swordsage, your best bet would be to just ignore the abilities you don't want them to have (such as the Spellthief's absorb ability, Factotum's Arcane Dilettante, etc); after all, it's easy to start high and work your way down than start at the bottom and work your way up.

Kol Korran
2012-09-03, 02:08 AM
The generic classes are based on some assumptions that do not exist currently in my game.

Factotum? is always sounds cool when i hear about it, but we don't have the source book where it's contained, so no go.

Spell thief can't work for reasons that will be too long to explain. Scout also has martial maneuvers mechanic in my game (all PC martial classes do- barbarians, monks and so on).

The ToB classes are changed by this mechanic as well...

I might use a base PC class and then remove features (such as the maneuvers) but it will create a very specific new kind of class that wasn't in the campaign that i'll have to justify and explain to the players. It will feel too forced I think, and weird in terms of balance.

Thanks!

By ThiagoMartellThere is a dagger in Shattered Gates of Slaughtersomething (an adventure) that grants 1d6 sneak attack. It's not expensive.
Not expensive is relative. these guys are low level, probably about 2-3000 worth of equipment total. But i'll try to look for this.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 02:11 AM
Not expensive is relative. these guys are low level, probably about 2-3000 worth of equipment total. But i'll try to look for this.

I think it's around 3k. It's called Organripper or something like that, IIRC.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-03, 02:35 AM
I might use a base PC class and then remove features (such as the maneuvers) but it will create a very specific new kind of class that wasn't in the campaign that i'll have to justify and explain to the players. It will feel too forced I think, and weird in terms of balance.

Understood.

Your best bet, then, would be Iaijutsu Focus, which is a weaker analogue of Sneak Attack, and well within the rules for an Expert to pick as one of their ten known skills.

Kol Korran
2012-09-03, 03:27 AM
Understood.

Your best bet, then, would be Iaijutsu Focus, which is a weaker analogue of Sneak Attack, and well within the rules for an Expert to pick as one of their ten known skills.
What book is that in? i don't remember finding it in my sources, but I could be wrong...

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-03, 03:43 AM
What book is that in? i don't remember finding it in my sources, but I could be wrong...

Oriental Adventures. I'm away from book and can't provide specifics, but it's in the skills chapter.

Kol Korran
2012-09-03, 01:30 PM
Barely looked at the book before, we're not set in anything oriental, but some interesting concepts. I found the Iaijutsu Focus, but it doesn't appeal. The fluff i can... refluff, but from what I understand the only use outside the Iaijutsu duel is when you attack a flat footed enemy immediately after drawing your weapon? that sounds... awfully limited. The main use i see sneak attack like attacks is through flanking in my circumstances, and Iaijutsu Focus doesn't seem to offer that. Or am I getting this wrong? hhmmm...

TuggyNE
2012-09-03, 03:26 PM
Barely looked at the book before, we're not set in anything oriental, but some interesting concepts. I found the Iaijutsu Focus, but it doesn't appeal. The fluff i can... refluff, but from what I understand the only use outside the Iaijutsu duel is when you attack a flat footed enemy immediately after drawing your weapon? that sounds... awfully limited. The main use i see sneak attack like attacks is through flanking in my circumstances, and Iaijutsu Focus doesn't seem to offer that. Or am I getting this wrong? hhmmm...

Yeah, you have that right. There are ways to ensure flat-footedness (grease, anyone?), ways to draw multiple weapons in a single round (or the same weapon multiple times), and even ways to draw a melee weapon and throw it, but otherwise it's basically bonus damage within reach in the first round.

Reluctance
2012-09-03, 03:35 PM
The sneak attack feats for generic characters could be ported over, so long as you had rules preventing it from stacking with class-based sneak attack. They're nice for rangers and similar characters with stealth skills, while the cross-class caps keep them from being too easy for every Tom, **** and Harry to pick up. Scaling is wonky, but it's a good quick n' dirty.