PDA

View Full Version : Nightstalker Naga [3.5]

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 01:41 AM
One of my Pathfinder games ended and one of the players wanted to get back to 3.5, as a DM. The group as a whole decided we should try stuff we never tried before ("No Warlocks for you, Thiago!" they said in unison).
Since I recently feel in love with the Shinomen Greensnake Nagas (from Oriental Adventures) and I had never even seen the Nightstalker class from Races of Ansalon, I decided to give it a shot. I thought for a second that mixing stuff from two settings (Rokugan and Dragonlance) would be cheesy, but the DM told me he'll just consider greensnakes a kind of "half naga", to fit it in his world (homwbrew setting, don't know much about it). I'm cool with it.

The problem is, well, that I know next to nothing about the Nightstalker. The DM lent me his Races of Ansalon and from a first look, the Nighstalker oozes cool. My power comes from being bold enough to tap on the powers of the dead?! Cool! I get bonus on Knowledge, initiative and other stuff when people have died in their spot because the dead are telling me secrets? Double cool! I get rebuke undead and a ghost as my companion?! Triple cool! I'm just a bit underwhelmed by it not getting sneak attack.

We are starting at 5th level, so with my LA that makes me a Nightstalker 4. I plan on dropping out at levels 6, 8 or 11 because I'm pretty sure multiple ghost companions would ruin the game. I have no idea what I'll take for feats (aside from Mindsight at level 1) and the only equipment I'm sure to get is a wand of venomfire.

Any suggestion would help greatly :smallbiggrin:

eggs
2012-09-03, 06:11 AM
The only time I did anything with Nightstalker, I wound up doing something with Death Devotion, some of the helltouched feats and a bit of spell channeling (through an AEG feat, but something like Smiting Spell, natural weapons or Improved Unarmed Strike would basically be the same). It wasn't the best character I ever played, but it was fun.

Then the ghost and animate came online and things kind of fell apart (the ghost got especially wonky; we had to rebuild it a couple times to be less overwhelming).

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 09:06 AM
Death Devotion certainly fits the fluff, I'll consider it, thanks :smallsmile: