PDA

View Full Version : For Gold & Glory OOC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Lateral
2012-10-08, 10:40 PM
Right, right, I'm running Arapim. Forgot about that.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-09, 12:34 AM
Okay, so can we turn my shapesand into torchbug paste? I think the consensus is that RAW allows it. If not, we should at least be able to turn it into flour pouches.

Lateral
2012-10-09, 06:13 AM
Yeah, that's fine.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-09, 06:47 AM
Okay, so torchbug paste is a splash weapon with a range increment of 10 ft. and causes a nonmagical faerie fire effect for one hour. I propose that we each take one and do our level best to hit as many as possible on the first round of combat as possible. Arapim and Ek'ann will have blindsight up and so can tell Vivian and 'Teia where to aim. Then we do our normal stuff, with Arapim and Ek'ann focusing on any we didn't sparkleify, if possible.

Comments, questions, concerns, better ideas?

Oh, and remember when I said that it was taking longer than expected to finish my character background? Yeah. Well, it's still unfinished, but the prologue and part of the first chapter are up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14007376#post14007376) in the Arts and Crafts forum.

Lateral
2012-10-09, 03:08 PM
Okay, so torchbug paste is a splash weapon with a range increment of 10 ft. and causes a nonmagical faerie fire effect for one hour. I propose that we each take one and do our level best to hit as many as possible on the first round of combat as possible. Arapim and Ek'ann will have blindsight up and so can tell Vivian and 'Teia where to aim. Then we do our normal stuff, with Arapim and Ek'ann focusing on any we didn't sparkleify, if possible.

Comments, questions, concerns, better ideas?

You know, that's a solid plan. A solid, solid plan.

Hey, I think I owe you guys your XP from the last encounter, don't I?

Jeff the Green
2012-10-09, 04:10 PM
You know, that's a solid plan. A solid, solid plan.
Great. They're going to be ethereal or something.

Hey, I think I owe you guys your XP from the last encounter, don't I?
I'm pretty sure you already awarded it.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-09, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure you already awarded it.
SHUUUUUSH.

I dunno. Have you? ._.

Lateral
2012-10-09, 07:01 PM
Yes, I have, in the IC. Forgot about it. Nice try, Lix, but you're not getting free XP out of me that easil-

-wait, that would've been in character for Vivian. HURP 100,000,000 ROLEPLAYING XP DURP.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-09, 07:03 PM
HUZZAH!
...wait, sarcasm detector...
....it's an OVERUSED MEEEEEME!!!!!!!!!
Awwwww.

Postmodernist
2012-10-09, 07:14 PM
I'm cool on the torchbug plan; my character Verstaadt in my sig had a stash of assorted alchemical goodies, and that particular item was rather high on his list. As for whether or not shapesand can make the stuff is a question for the DM. If Lateral allows it, I'm cool with that. This is one of the few situations I was actually a level adjusted Drow. Free faerie fire does come in handy sometimes. As for fighting something ethereal, Ek'ann might have a solution for that, and I'm pretty sure that there's at least on vestige that can help in that arena. Shall we proceed?

Jeff the Green
2012-10-09, 09:27 PM
I need to cast blindsight on you guys, and then we can go, I think. Scouting will be really difficult, if it's even possible.

Lateral
2012-10-10, 02:40 PM
Proceeding now, then?

Jeff the Green
2012-10-10, 02:52 PM
Yep. 'Teia will be following Ek'ann and Arapim, climbing on the ceiling if possible. (Take 10 gives 30.) Otherwise I'll find a wall to scurry up. Everyone should have a torchbug bladder in hand, too.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-11, 07:53 PM
the ceiling appears craggy and worn

Craggy enough to climb along?

{table=head]Climb DC|Example Surface or Activity
25|An overhang or ceiling with handholds but no footholds.[/table]

Lateral
2012-10-11, 07:55 PM
Craggy enough to climb along?

Quite.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-11, 08:09 PM
Immediate thought: Oh god the floor will give way and we'll SoD against it and have to grab the ceiling.
Secondary thought: I have a fly speed.
Tertiary thought: Vivian: If that happens, I get all the gold.

Lateral
2012-10-11, 08:12 PM
Immediate thought: Oh god the floor will give way and we'll SoD against it and have to grab the ceiling.

Quaternary thought: If they fall down the floor and die, and I don't raise them, then that's basically a TPK.

Quinary thought: If we TPK, the campaign ends and I never get to use my glorious shinies.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-11, 08:18 PM

Quaternary thought: If they fall down the floor and die, and I don't raise them, then that's basically a TPK.

Quinary thought: If we TPK, the campaign ends and I never get to use my glorious shinies.

Senary though: Wait, the dryad can climb, so I'd have to share with her in any case. Crap.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-11, 08:21 PM

Septenary thought: Nuhuh, my player never gets to RP me spending them. I still get to spend them.

Octenary thought: SHUSH, Vivian.

Lateral
2012-10-11, 08:35 PM
Nonary thought: this split-personality/ordinal listing gag is getting kind of old, don't you think?

Denary thought: Agreed.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-11, 08:37 PM
Switch to tiffany aching style

First thoughts: TRAP
Second thoughs: No, Vivian is fine.
Third thoughts: It's interesting that you think of her and not your allies...

Lateral
2012-10-11, 08:38 PM
Fourth thought: IC post, mebbe?

Lix Lorn
2012-10-11, 08:40 PM
I don't like being the first person to react to something >_<

(Also you clearly need to read more Pratchett)

Lateral
2012-10-11, 08:48 PM
I don't like being the first person to react to something >_<

(Also you clearly need to read more Pratchett)

...I read plenty of Pratchett...

Actually, that's a good idea- Arapim's the team trap-checker, it would be logical for her to move first.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-11, 08:51 PM
First thoughts: instinctive reaction. Everyone has them.
Second thoughts: Thoughts about reactions. Impressive people like Witches have them.
Third thoughts: Thoughts about the way you think. Very rare. Protagonist level power. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2012-10-11, 11:30 PM
Arapim points to a thin wire strung across the corridor, and two heavy weights strung up on the top of the room.

Wait, across the corridor in front of us? I thought that was collapsed.

Lateral
2012-10-11, 11:30 PM
First thoughts: instinctive reaction. Everyone has them.
Second thoughts: Thoughts about reactions. Impressive people like Witches have them.
Third thoughts: Thoughts about the way you think. Very rare. Protagonist level power. :smalltongue:

I know. Fourth thoughts: somebody else nagging at you to stop being so lost in your triple-thoughts. :smalltongue:

(To be fair, I haven't read any of the Tiffany Aching books in forever. Should get around to reading I Will Wear Midnight at some point.)

Wait, across the corridor in front of us? I thought that was collapsed.
It is. The wire's right in front of the rubble.

Lix Lorn
2012-10-12, 12:54 PM
I know. Fourth thoughts: somebody else nagging at you to stop being so lost in your triple-thoughts. :smalltongue:

(To be fair, I haven't read any of the Tiffany Aching books in forever. Should get around to reading I Will Wear Midnight at some point.)
...that makes perfectly logical sense as a progression. xD

Man, me too xD

Lateral
2012-10-13, 12:25 PM
Ek'ann looked uneasy, but kept silent. "Let's keep moving. That glow in the corner concerns me." As he passed by, he took the opportunity to examine the tapestries hanging on the wall.

Well, they're pretty tattered. The one across the west wall contains images of a humanoid figure (presumably a giant) fighting various monsters, and the one on the right depicts a battle between the giants and the Quori. The one on the north wall appears to be covered in writing, but you don't recognize it. Even if you could, though, you can tell that it's much too torn to translate.

Will you guys be going towards or away from the green light?

Jeff the Green
2012-10-15, 03:12 AM
I dunno. At this point 'Teia's kind of just following Ek'ann. She doesn't have blind sight and she's not terribly tough.

Lateral
2012-10-18, 04:45 PM
Guys? I need to know which direction you want to go.

Postmodernist
2012-10-18, 06:53 PM
I fear we've stalled out. I posted IC last, but if no one does anything soon, I guess I'll just proceed.

Lateral
2012-10-18, 07:24 PM
I fear we've stalled out. I posted IC last, but if no one does anything soon, I guess I'll just proceed.

Well, you're kind of leading the way right now.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-28, 05:20 AM
Can we try to get this going again? Let's just assume we moved along to the glowing corridor.

Lateral
2012-10-28, 10:13 AM
All right.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-29, 07:14 PM
Wait, something attacked Ek'ann?

Lateral
2012-10-29, 07:25 PM
...I meant Vivian. Whoops.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-31, 10:42 PM
Knowledge checks to figure out what could attack physically but be invisible to blindsight (+5 if Collector of Stories applies):

Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering [roll1]
Local: [roll2]
Nature: [roll3]
Religion: [roll4]
The Planes [roll5]

Lateral
2012-10-31, 11:18 PM
There are no creatures you know of with abilities consistent with what you have seen- as far as you can tell, they're unique. You have heard of people that have undergone extensive, specialized training to achieve this sort of effect, but no creature known to you is inherently capable of defeating such finely-tuned senses.

Lateral
2012-11-02, 03:06 PM
...Lix, Vivian can't actually see the creature. It went around the corner.

Lix Lorn
2012-11-02, 07:55 PM
...oh. I missed that. Nevermind then... :smallsigh:

Jeff the Green
2012-11-02, 09:37 PM
Now that I've seen one, what Knowledge do I roll to ID/for KD?

Lateral
2012-11-02, 11:04 PM
Arcana.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-02, 11:18 PM
Identify: [roll0]
Knowledge Devotion: [roll1]

Lateral
2012-11-03, 12:08 AM
You have no clue what it is. The torch bug paste only lets you see so much detail, and it doesn't have a particularly distinctive silhouette. Enough detail to see weak points, though, so Knowledge Devotion still applies.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-03, 12:35 AM
Any guess about what it might be related to?

Lateral
2012-11-03, 10:17 AM
Well, there are a number of monsters that have natural invisibility like that of these creatures, but none of them that you know of behave or look like this monster. From what you can see, it looks kind of... unnatural, like an almost Frankenstein-like patchwork shape; it's possible, given what you know about this place, that this is one of those experiments gone feral.

Lateral
2012-11-07, 12:45 AM
By the way, I was working on the IC earlier tonight, and then my monitor broke. It's just a faulty cable, so it'll only be a couple days at most, but there'll be a bit of a delay.

Lateral
2012-11-09, 07:19 PM
Vivian's rays deal cold damage, right?

Lix Lorn
2012-11-09, 08:18 PM
Some combination of fire, cold, and light. Since the (entirely justified) nerf, it's kinda unclear.

Lateral
2012-11-09, 09:23 PM
In that case, let's say cold damage.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-10, 09:51 AM
There's really no chance of me beating Vivian's initiative, so I won't bother. Speaking of, though, shouldn't the rest of us have a shot at it before it skitters off, since we're doing group initiative?

Lateral
2012-11-10, 12:30 PM
There's really no chance of me beating Vivian's initiative, so I won't bother. Speaking of, though, shouldn't the rest of us have a shot at it before it skitters off, since we're doing group initiative?

Right.

Postmodernist
2012-11-10, 01:55 PM
Sorry about my atrociously low posting rate. I've been absurdly busy teaching lately, and this is one of my first days without Saturday programming to address. I have a few errands to run today, but once I'm back, I'll be making a catch-up IC post. Again, apologies.

Postmodernist
2012-11-10, 05:57 PM
Screwed up my tags. Rolling here:

[roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Lateral
2012-11-10, 08:57 PM
You don't have a clear line of attack- you're around the corner.

BelGareth
2012-11-14, 05:52 PM
Hey all!

I've been recruited by Lateral to swell ye ranks, Arg.

Rollin stats:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Jeff the Green
2012-11-14, 06:27 PM
So, are we going to start over or is BelGerath's character going to join us somehow? Depending on what he wants to play, the former might be a better idea. We have too many damage dealers and not enough creative problem solvers, so if we do start over I'd end up playing Davkhur, my Beguiler//Archivist.

Lateral
2012-11-14, 06:50 PM
I'm good either way. And he's playing a Warmage, I believe, but there are a couple of others who were interested so I think we'll see where it goes.

BelGareth
2012-11-14, 07:29 PM
So, are we going to start over or is BelGerath's character going to join us somehow? Depending on what he wants to play, the former might be a better idea. We have too many damage dealers and not enough creative problem solvers, so if we do start over I'd end up playing Davkhur, my Beguiler//Archivist.

Well here is a link to my char, just finishing up the fluff portion. HERE (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=470305), I was going for the "I am a little-one support guy, who can also heal with wands and crowd control" thing.

I saw your group makeup and thought a caster would be a good way to go, although the warmage is more blasty than utility, T.G.Oksars spell list has some nice crowd control and transport spells, plus my racial abilities.

EDIT: finished the fluff, I also left it vague enough to allow for entry into the storyline if need be.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-15, 01:47 AM
Hmm. Well, in that case I cast my provisional vote for starting over. We lost our skill monkey and are gaining another primary damage dealer, which puts us at three out of four characters (and my damage dealer, while a fun build, is probably less useful than the other two). A summoner/illusionist would probably be more useful.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-16, 11:25 PM
Ahoy there.

I've been told by Lateral this game needs more players and I'm here for that.

Getting down to business. The rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

EDIT: I think I've got what I want to play with in this game.

Here are my hombrew requests:
Rakshasa (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2245.0)
Swordmage (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Swordmage)

Postmodernist
2012-11-18, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure why we'd need to start over. We've only just entered the building, no? Why not simply have a reason to briefly scramble out (healing, left the stove on, whatever) and have the newcomers enter in as reinforcements?

Also, I see that I need to redo my turn. I post something later today.

Lateral
2012-11-18, 03:48 PM
Here are my hombrew requests:
Rakshasa (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2245.0)
Swordmage (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Swordmage)

Okay to both.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-19, 07:17 AM
Cool. I'll be posting my sheet shortly.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-19, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure why we'd need to start over. We've only just entered the building, no? Why not simply have a reason to briefly scramble out (healing, left the stove on, whatever) and have the newcomers enter in as reinforcements?

Also, I see that I need to redo my turn. I post something later today.

A) It's a deus ex machina.
B) We've lost at least one player whose character needs to be dealt with. (Anyone seen Lix around the forum? She's been silent since the last IC post.)
C) It's harder to run encounters with six characters than with five or four.
D) Without Arapim, we have no skill monkey.

Lateral
2012-11-19, 05:56 PM
A) It's a deus ex machina.
B) We've lost at least one player whose character needs to be dealt with. (Anyone seen Lix around the forum? She's been silent since the last IC post.)
C) It's harder to run encounters with six characters than with five or four.
D) Without Arapim, we have no skill monkey.

Those are, in fact, fair points. If we were to do that, I might take the opportunity to rewrite the campaign, maybe remove the whole 'save-the-world' thing- looking back at it, it's kind of silly.

And Lix is everywhere. I honestly don't know why she hasn't been posting here.

BelGareth
2012-11-19, 07:25 PM
I could change most off my levels in warlock to rogue, that woukd help a significant amount...I'll take a look when I get to school tonight.

Lix Lorn
2012-11-19, 07:55 PM
{Anyone seen Lix around the forum? She's been silent since the last IC post.)
Meow.

And Lix is everywhere. I honestly don't know why she hasn't been posting here.
Needing to be proactive scares me. (Hide)

Jeff the Green
2012-11-19, 09:14 PM
I could change most off my levels in warlock to rogue, that woukd help a significant amount...I'll take a look when I get to school tonight.

I was thinking it would be easier to gestaltify a character of mine (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=470241) from a previous Eberron game. Warmage, Radiant, Swordmage, and RKV are all damage dealers. So is 'Teia, and it's her only shtick. Plus I've discovered she's not as fun to play as she is to write for.

Davkhur is a Necropolitan Illumian Beguiler/Mindbender//Archivist/Swordsage/Shadow Adept focusing on illusions, summons, and a few buffs. He's skill-point starved, though, so I'm hoping that the traps will be what we saw in that last room will be be the norm, e.g. puzzles, not Disable Device checks. I have three things I wanted to run by you, Lateral, if I use him: First, the unseelie fey (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) template (Winter's Chill season power, no wings, and regular old darkvision; basically trading iron vulnerability and decreased Strength for a bump to Dexterity and DR). Second, basing the uses/day of Spontaneous Summoner off of Intelligence rather than Wisdom. (When the feat came out, the only class that could benefit was Cleric.) And since it's pretty damn powerful, I thought I should check to see if Greenbound Summoning was okay.

Lateral
2012-11-19, 10:26 PM
He's skill-point starved, though, so I'm hoping that the traps will be what we saw in that last room will be be the norm, e.g. puzzles, not Disable Device checks.
Wait, I hadn't included any puzzles yet. The only traps were those booby traps, and they were almost entirely for flavor. :smallconfused:

I have three things I wanted to run by you, Lateral, if I use him: First, the unseelie fey (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) template (Winter's Chill season power, no wings, and regular old darkvision; basically trading iron vulnerability and decreased Strength for a bump to Dexterity and DR). Second, basing the uses/day of Spontaneous Summoner off of Intelligence rather than Wisdom. (When the feat came out, the only class that could benefit was Cleric.) And since it's pretty damn powerful, I thought I should check to see if Greenbound Summoning was okay.

Okay to all.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-20, 01:03 AM
My character has decent skill points, so maybe we could split those skills we need. And my rakshasa side can cast up to 3rd level arcane spells and has UMD (+ Cha based) so I can provide the utility spells.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-20, 01:47 AM
My character has decent skill points, so maybe we could split those skills we need. And my rakshasa side can cast up to 3rd level arcane spells and has UMD (+ Cha based) so I can provide the utility spells.

That makes it a lot easier, actually. I have UMD maxed right now, but with no Charisma bonus and no other UMD boosters, it's not reliable enough for battle. I'll still keep one rank for when/if I want to craft a Runestaff, and leave it be from there. I'll put those ranks into Disable Device, and I've got knock, so Open Lock is unnecessary. Mindsight mostly removes the need for Spot/Listen, but for if when (:smallamused:) Lateral throws something with a non-RAW Darkstalker at us, someone else should have good mundane senses.

Oh, and Lateral's already seen this, but here is Davkhur's background from the Eberron game that fizzled out. A few things have changed: he doesn't have as high a level of spells as he did, he doesn't wear a Sentira breastplate (too expensive for level 8), and no runestaff yet (ditto). Davkhur speaks in Maroon:

Background
Beware: quite long (>1,000 words).
"I was never a very good Illumian. Sure, I'm obsessed with finding relics and spells and digging up ancient history, but that was always for the pleasure of it—never for the cabal.

"The first book I ever read was a history of Sharn. The second was a story about a swashbuckling warforged pirate that I got from an elf child who lived near our cabal. Most parents would hardly be surprised by which one was my favorite. When *my* parents found the novel stashed under my mattress, they were aghast. My mother wept. She was convinced I was going to hell. (That's metaphorical, actually. Evil Illumians don't go to hell; Tarmuid Unnames them, and they don't issue a Final Utterance, so the Word making up their soul stays in their rotting body. Nice guy, Tarmuid). My Father didn't bother to cry. He just cast Symbol of Pain on my bed every night. I was two and he used a Symbol of ****ing Pain to punish me!

"Well, Illumians might be messed up, but we're still mostly human. My parents didn't dissuade me from "wasting" my time reading novels. Their punishments just encouraged me to read more and more. By the time I was 13, I'd read something like 1500 novels. 'Course, around that time I started reading things like 'King Boranex's Reluctant Lady' and 'The Buxom Pontiff's Wild Ride in Talenta.'

"Anyway, I didn't fit in from the start. When I was 16 the cabal stopped trying to get me to stop and started trying to get me killed. Well, I'm not sure they *meant* to get me killed. I was sent away as often as possible, often to Xen'drik or Khyber to find artifacts and lost books or tablets. I found plenty, but I found more monsters.

"If they were trying to kill me, they succeeded in my 21st year. I was sent to recover scrolls detailing some trivial details of Tarmuid's mortal life. Of course, they were in a tomb. And that tomb was guarded by a mummy. I was lucky enough to escape with the help of some illusions--thank goodness mummies are stupid--but I caught Mummy Rot.

"Gods, that was unpleasant. With my insides on fire, and about to die, I turned to the Blood of Vol. I'd learned Lady Vol's little secret on one of my expeditions, and I convinced them to turn me into an undead. At least I thought I convinced them.

"They went through the ceremony; the crucifixion, the anointment with unholy oil, the chanting zombies. If I weren't delerious with fever, I would have been creeped out. But they left out the last bit, the part where the pumped negative energy into my body, trapping my soul and preventing it from leaving to Dolurrh.

"It was strange, hovering over my body, waiting for them like that. Even once they'd taken my body down and it was clear they didn't plan on reanimating me, I wasn't mad, or even upset. I knew I should be, knew I should be furious, but with no heart to beat, fists to clench, or blood to surge to my head, there just wasn't any emotion.

"And then I was in the Realm of the Dead. It was boring. I mean, I know a lot of people find ancient history and museums and books boring. They should try a vacation in Dolurrh. It's just grey. Everywhere. Everything. It is duller than the worst of my teachers at the cabal, duller than spending a sea voyage belowdecks, duller than a half-orc's wit.

"Years passed. I think. I was never exactly clear about time there. Eventually I started to become like the rest of the shades there. I became gray myself.

"Eventually, I felt a tug. I ignored it at first, but then it grew stronger. There was a jerk. Another. Another, even stronger than the last, and then a burning pain like I never thought possible. It felt wonderful! I was alive, and the pain—the glorious pain— was proof of it. I sat up even before I opened my eyes. And then I saw him. My father.

"The time I'd spent in Dolurrh had not treated him well. His eyes were clouded as though he was dead, and his nose had caved in. Worse were his sigils, which were a dirty grey rather than the harshly glowing gold I remembered.

"I didn't say anything. So he started. Turns out that our—his—cabal were engaged in a covert war against another. One of the Gravewhisper cabals, the ones that work with the Blood of Vol and have zombies and skeletons as servants. My father led the fight, and he destroyed them. Tar vu yote. They should have known that Vol, that shriveled old witch, wouldn't stand for that. And she didn't. My father—and now me— were the only surviving members.

"My father, though, was only barely a 'surviving member.' One of Vol's Abectors had cursed him, and he was slowly turning into some sort of undead. Probably one of the less pleasant ones, knowing my father; I'm sure he'd get along well with mohrgs.

"He wanted me to swear vengeance on his enemies. Well, actually, he said 'our enemies.' 'Our enemies.' No. The only thing I wanted to do to Vol was send her flowers. I sat up and left. I haven't, thank Aulasha, seen him again. Maybe he ended up killing himself to avoid becoming undead, but I like to think he's chained to that rotten body obeying the every whim of his killers.

"I discovered something after I left. I have no heart beat. It's not just thready and hard to find like some people's get, but actually not there. I ended up paying a healer from house Jorasco to see what was happening. He couldn't figure it out, so he cut me open. I mean, literally, cut me open while I watched. My heart still wasn't beating. A gift from Vol and my father, I guess.

"Since then I've made my living running around acquiring artifacts for collectors. You wouldn't believe what some people will pay for old crap. It's been nice, actually. I rob a tomb or ruined castle, and then hand over the gewgaws I find, but keep the scrolls and steles and schemas and creation patterns. Hey, I may have abandoned my cabal, but I'm still an Illumian.

"So, where's the job? Aerenal? The place where they worship dead people? Why in Tarmuid's name would you want me to go there?

"...How much? Fine. Half up front."

Personality
"You want me to describe myself? I feel like I'm signing up for one of those services that magically finds people who you should date. Well, I'm brilliant, obviously. I have lots of energy; I'm always moving around and I'm up at all hours. I'm discrete--I have to be, in my business--and I don't feel shackled to telling the truth when it's inconvenient.

"I don't necessarily mind helping people out, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to do. I mean, it's hard for somebody's plight to tug at your heartstrings when you don't have a heart. There are exceptions. Kids, for example. Mostly I just want to collect my artifacts and read my trashy novels.

"My turn ons include intelligence, a love of poetry, and an appreciation for history. My turn offs include low-self esteem, jealousy, and Symbols of Pain."

Ahem. Jeff here. Since Davkhur is quite oblivious about certain facets of his personality, I'll list them here. He is egotistical, conniving, selfish, and unconstrained by the truth. Also flighty, paranoid and obsessive. Oh, and intolerant of stupid people.

He has some good traits to set those off a bit, thankfully. He's dedicated and loyal, so long as you've given him reason to believe you will be so in return. He's also very excited by knowledge, driven, and energetic. Admittedly the last three can go either way.

Description
"Seriously, I have to describe what I look like? I'm not looking for a date.

"Fine. I'm tall—well, short, for an illumian; tall for anything else—and thin. Yellow eyes, yellow sigils. High cheekbones, classical features, and so on. I've got a big scar across my chest, and a few others here and there. Nothing on my face. I mean, I look like an Illumian; what am I supposed to say?"

Gods damn it, Davkhur. First you go on forever about your daddy issues, and now you say "I look like an Illumian." :smallsigh:

Fine. I'll do your work for you.

The visual impression Davkhur makes is largely dependent on what he's doing. When exploring, but not expecting battle, he looks, for lack of a better word, acquisitive. He wears fairly standard clothes, but they're sewed all over with extraneous pockets of various sizes. At any one time as many as 90% of them might be filled, or as few as 10%, but generally if they're that low temples had better double check their statuary when he leaves.

When he's about town, he's quite striking. When the weather allows it, he wears only loose breaches (which, if you make the mistake of letting him tell you the story, he stole from a Kalashtar mystic while she was meditating) and a sash around his waist. In the latter, again, are usually concealed some sort of treasure a priest will soon be missing. His torso and face are painted, sometimes in garish colors and patterns, other times in imitation of various art styles, modern or ancient, and still others in delicate flowing lines evoking a sort of genteel spirit. The last he usually employs when he's trying to convince priests of his good intentions. They don't usually help.

He's not muscular, by any means, but the muscles he does have are toned and limber. If he discards his shirt out of vanity, it's not misplaced, but any potential admirers are generally put off by the combination of the paintings and his sometimes odd demeanor. Those, and the romance novels he often has his nose in while walking about the square.

In battle, he seems almost comical. He frequently wields two quarterstaffs at once, one merely a well-crafted walking stick, the other a curious creation with numerous hand-like protrusions extending from it. It seems completely ill suited to battle, but then, so does he. Despite his weak frame, he wears a breastplate, paldrons, and greaves, all apparently carved out of the shell of some great, blue, mollusk. It curves and twists in shapes that could never be approached by any but the best craftsmen, and he bears it easily.

General Tactics
Davkhur has a metric f***ton of spells available, so he's fairly liberal in their use. Generally, his first move is to summon something. What he summons depends largely on what he's up against. With spontaneous summon nature's ally he's mostly got beatsticks (and with a ring of the beast they're big beatsticks), but he also has judiciously chosen summon monster spells for SLAs.

After his first summon goes to work, he will either cast haste, since he has plenty of beguiler slots available for it, or another summon spell.

Finally, he'll cast an illusion of a summon. The False Theurgy skill trick ensures they can't tell that he's actually casting an illusion, and he can maintain control of it while still casting through the sonorous hum spell, the Extraordinary Concentration feat, and the Swift Concentration skill trick.

The rest of the battle is pretty much repetition of the above, though he does have some save or die/suck spells available like lastai's caress and mummify.

What Davkhur Brings to the Group
"Wait. 'Group?' Who said anything about a group? They better not be like that idiot I had to leave behind in the pit of dire maggots. Gods, that one was thick."

Ahem. Actually, Davkhur has a number of ways to enhance his allies' abilities in addition to the damage and crowd control his summons provide. He has greater magic weapon and magic vestment for all-day protection and enhancement. He also has two available castings of greater resistance, for those that neglected to grab a cloak of resistance.

He also has various sneaky spells available and can both find and eliminate traps. Notice I didn't say "disarm." He mostly just has his disposable elemental trip them. Though he doesn't usually prepare them, he has a decent variety of divinations available as well.

Finally, he has glibness to get us out of (or into) trouble.

Why Davkhur Is In Aerenal
He was paid to "recover" a religious artifact. I haven't decided what yet.

Future Development
"Development? You say that as though there's something wrong with me."

Shut up, Davkhur. As noted above, Davkhur is somewhat reluctant to treat those he doesn't know well as anything other than hirelings or patsies. Experience traveling with others might change this.

BelGareth
2012-11-20, 01:57 AM
That makes it a lot easier, actually. I have UMD maxed right now, but with no Charisma bonus and no other UMD boosters, it's not reliable enough for battle. I'll still keep one rank for when/if I want to craft a Runestaff, and leave it be from there. I'll put those ranks into Disable Device, and I've got knock, so Open Lock is unnecessary. Mindsight mostly removes the need for Spot/Listen, but for if when (:smallamused:) Lateral throws something with a non-RAW Darkstalker at us, someone else should have good mundane senses.

Oh, and Lateral's already seen this, but here is Davkhur's background from the Eberron game that fizzled out. A few things have changed: he doesn't have as high a level of spells as he did, he doesn't wear a Sentira breastplate (too expensive for level 8), and no runestaff yet (ditto). Davkhur speaks in Maroon:

My char has deceive item and maxed out UMD (+18 bonus), that is covered.

EDIT: he has a wand of CLW & Lesser vigor, is there anything else, i can proly change some stuff up. although 2nd level spells will proly be pushing it.

Lateral, do you allow in game crafting? if so, do you allow the xp alternate for crafting ?(1 xp = 5gp)

Jeff the Green
2012-11-20, 02:09 AM
Lateral, do you allow in game crafting? if so, do you allow the xp alternate for crafting ?(1 xp = 5gp)

Check the first post; there's some incantations I 'brewed up specifically for this adventure. The first three replace the resurrection spells, the remainder are for crafting without an artificer.

BelGareth
2012-11-20, 02:19 AM
Check the first post; there's some incantations I 'brewed up specifically for this adventure. The first three replace the resurrection spells, the remainder are for crafting without an artificer.

uMM...OK, I'm not super familiar with Incantations. How do they work? do you have to learn them via a feat or something else?

Jeff the Green
2012-11-20, 02:49 AM
The rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm). Basically, you make a series of skill checks. If you fail two in a row before getting the successes needed (generally 1 per spell level), it fails and something bad happens—in the case of resurrection something from Dolurrh comes back instead, in the case of recharging a wand several charges are drained and damage the caster.

They can have the same components as spells, plus Backlash (something bad that happens to the caster regardless of success or failure). And you don't need to do anything in particular to learn them, just have knowledge of them. Generally that requires a Knowledge check in a well-stocked library, but we're just assuming we all know these.

Oh, and the resurrection ones are kind of important, so it's a very good idea for multiple people to have decent Knowledge (religion) and Heal modifiers. Davkhur can handle the former; someone else needs to pick up the latter.

Edit:Oh, and as for other wands: I've got lesser restoration and have enough for another one. If no one else has a better idea, it'll be grease and I'll give it to one of the UMDers since I get bonuses to save DCs against enemies that have lost their Dexterity bonuses to AC. I can trigger that with Invisibility (and have 1/encounter single-round invisibility thanks to Swordsage levels), but it's nice to have another way to trigger it.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-20, 06:27 AM
I'm thinking of choosing from grease, glitterdust, find traps, benign transposition, rope trick, or summon monster I for the wands. Primal instinct is also very nice to put in a wand. Maybe detect magic wand for magical traps and whatever.

EDIT: And here's my sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=472538). I could change the spells known and wands depending on what the others have.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-20, 08:03 PM
A couple of things:

First, I wanted to let you guys know that I'm heading to my Grandma's right after I finish writing the messages telling everyone I'm heading to my Grandma's. I'll have Internet while I'm there, but I'll be busy cooking, drinking, and eating, and just being with my family, so posting will be sparse until Sunday.

Second:

I'm thinking of choosing from grease, glitterdust, find traps, benign transposition, rope trick, or summon monster I for the wands. Primal instinct is also very nice to put in a wand. Maybe detect magic wand for magical traps and whatever.

I've got glitterdust and a decent Search modifier, plus plenty of slots for detect magic and/or arcane sight. Rope trick would be very nice.

Happy Thanksgiving, those of you in the USA

Lateral
2012-11-20, 08:11 PM

EDIT: And here's my sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=472538). I could change the spells known and wands depending on what the others have.

Your sheet is approved.

BelGareth
2012-11-20, 08:28 PM
A couple of things:

First, I wanted to let you guys know that I'm heading to my Grandma's right after I finish writing the messages telling everyone I'm heading to my Grandma's. I'll have Internet while I'm there, but I'll be busy cooking, drinking, and eating, and just being with my family, so posting will be sparse until Sunday.

Second:

I've got glitterdust and a decent Search modifier, plus plenty of slots for detect magic and/or arcane sight. Rope trick would be very nice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Postmodernist
2012-11-20, 09:09 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

So, since we're rebooting, should I bother modifying my move? I could remake my character too, if necessary, but I'm pretty pleased with this moderately powered defensive build. I am, however, open to suggestions.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-20, 09:17 PM

Okay, I will adjust accordingly.

And Happy Thanksgiving!

EDIT: So, would I let go of the Find Traps wand, or would we need it?

Jeff the Green
2012-11-21, 11:28 PM
Okay, I will adjust accordingly.

And Happy Thanksgiving!

EDIT: So, would I let go of the Find Traps wand, or would we need it?

I think you're fine to drop it. Davkhur has a good Search and trapfinding, so it's probably not worth the expense.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-21, 11:55 PM
Okay. Any other suggestions for wands or scrolls?

Jeff the Green
2012-11-22, 04:42 PM
Heroics is very useful.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-22, 10:52 PM
Heroics? Where is it found?

Jeff the Green
2012-11-22, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure if it was somewhere else originally, but it's in the Spell Compendium. 2nd level Wiz/Sorc, and gives the target any fighter feat it qualifies for for 10 minutes/level.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-30, 02:06 AM
So... Are we going to start this up? I'm done with Davkhur, I think, save for a double check of his spell list.

Edit: Oh yeah, how far afield can I go for spells? I've been assuming Adept, Cleric, Druid, Bard, Paladin, Ranger, and domains, but what about PrCs?

BelGareth
2012-11-30, 02:59 AM
I'm ready to play.

GuyFawkes
2012-11-30, 05:17 AM
Save the final spell list and items, my character's good to go.

Lateral
2012-11-30, 07:09 AM
I'll be able to start up again this weekend. Lix, Postmodernist, are you both still here?

Postmodernist
2012-12-01, 02:28 PM
I'm here. Any modifications necessary before we begin again?

Lateral
2012-12-01, 10:05 PM
I don't believe so, although I've been rewriting the campaign. You're not in Xen'drik any more; this time, it'll be set in the Mournlands. I'll be putting up information and writing a new in-character thread OP over the next couple of days.

GuyFawkes, I forgot about how Rakshasas are a big, evil, unliked group of demons in Eberron. I know that you're Lawful Neutral rather than evil, but are you going to be hiding the fact that you're a rakshasa?

Jeff, shouldn't you be missing a level from necropolitan?

Also: Jeff, GuyFawkes, Belgareth, you guys all need to pick speech colors.

BelGareth
2012-12-01, 10:34 PM
Oberon shall speak in the feyish color of Dark slate blue

Jeff the Green
2012-12-01, 10:51 PM
GuyFawkes, I forgot about how Rakshasas are a big, evil, unliked group of demons in Eberron. I know that you're Lawful Neutral rather than evil, but are you going to be hiding the fact that you're a rakshasa?

If so, there's a spell in City of Stormreach, cloak of Khyber, that fools even true seeing and the like.

Blegh, yes. Well, 3000 xp. I'll change it, but I should catch up in the first day, like 'Teia did.

Edit: While I'm at it, can I buy off 1 LA on a template?

Maroon, as per the quote from Cardea's campaign.

Postmodernist
2012-12-01, 11:37 PM
I don't believe so, although I've been rewriting the campaign. You're not in Xen'drik any more; this time, it'll be set in the Mournlands. I'll be putting up information and writing a new in-character thread OP over the next couple of days.

Hmmm... that modifies my character's reasons for participating. I may try to start from square one, or at least heavily modify things. What's the party composition look like now?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 12:01 AM
Hmmm... that modifies my character's reasons for participating. I may try to start from square one, or at least heavily modify things. What's the party composition look like now?

Two ranged blasters (Vivian, a warmage//pixie warlock), a melee blaster (rakshasa//swordmage), and a controller skill monkey (beguiler//archivist).

GuyFawkes
2012-12-02, 12:15 AM
Ah, right. This is Eberron. Yeah, even if he's not evil, I'm sure he'd have trouble for what he is, especially from the Silver Flame, and he'd have found ways to avoid them. I could definitely use that Cloak of Khyber. Will the DM allow it? Not really crucial, since the once who have True Seeing are high level ones anyway, and I have more than enough ways to trick those without.

And my character is more of melee/utility and a bit of control.

EDIT: Right, Ravana shall speak in Cafe Noir.

BelGareth
2012-12-02, 12:33 AM
Two ranged blasters (Vivian, a warmage//pixie warlock), a melee blaster (rakshasa//swordmage), and a controller skill monkey (beguiler//archivist).

I was going to ask this very same question, do we have any sort of melee tank build?

also, Vivian? is that a character? (Lix's?)

Lateral
2012-12-02, 01:05 AM
Well, I'm still writing the prompt, but the basic idea is that the Glowing Chasm in the Mournlands is a hole in the universe, and the king of Karrnath is paying you all a ludicrous amount of money to fly into it to try to find a hundred-million-year-old MacGuffin.

Belgareth, Jeff, can you two change your text colors? I can barely tell the difference between Maroon and Dark Red and between Navy and Dark Slate Blue.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 01:11 AM
Well, I'm still writing the prompt, but the basic idea is that the Glowing Chasm in the Mournlands is a hole in the universe, and the king of Karrnath is paying you all a ludicrous amount of money to fly into it to try to find a hundred-million-year-old MacGuffin.

Well, there's Davkhur's motivation.

Belgareth, Jeff, can you two change your text colors? I can barely tell the difference between Maroon and Dark Red and between Navy and Dark Slate Blue.

Okay, then, Davkhur will go with Dim Gray unless PoMo changes his character and prefers a different color.

BelGareth
2012-12-02, 01:22 AM

No problem, how about...Bold Green

Lateral
2012-12-02, 02:18 AM
Well, there's Davkhur's motivation.
Yeah, I figured he'd like that.

Okay, then, Davkhur will go with Dim Gray unless PoMo changes his character and prefers a different color.
Dim gray is very similar to GuyFawkes' cafe noir, can you try something else?

No problem, how about...Bold Green

That works, thanks.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 02:30 AM
Dim gray is very similar to GuyFawkes' cafe noir, can you try something else?

Huh. We must have very different monitors. Let's try... Sandy Brown

GuyFawkes
2012-12-02, 08:38 AM
Ravana can do the melee tank part if there's no one to do it. He has decent HP and AC, and some DR.

EDIT: Though I think Post's character is more focused on that aspect.

Postmodernist
2012-12-02, 11:22 AM
I was going to ask this very same question, do we have any sort of melee tank build?

also, Vivian? is that a character? (Lix's?)

Ek'ann is a Paladin/Crusader/RKV//Binder, so he's pretty tanky. It's more his backstory that I'm looking to change. Hopefully, we'll have enough utility to get through. As for speech color, I'll stick with Dark Red.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-02, 11:32 AM
My character still has 9k+ to burn on wands and scrolls. I'm looking for ideas on what to get.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 12:43 PM
My character still has 9k+ to burn on wands and scrolls. I'm looking for ideas on what to get.

A minor schema of cloak of Khyber will run you 6000, while a Runestaff with just that would be 3600. Adding other spells would be spell level squared x 200.
A lesser metamagic rod of extend would let me give you and Ek'ann 14 (soon 16) hours of +3 NA rather than just 7 (soon 8), plus one other free extended spell by someone.

On that note, a Pearl of Power (1st level) would be nice.

Exchanging your wand of mage armor for an eternal wand of extended mage armor will cost an additional ~3500 GP, but give you two 10 hour castings per day.
Your Charisma is high enough that you could sink a single skill point into Use Psionic Device and get dorjes of vigor and empathic transfer. That's the only way to heal outside of the rope trick since we're in the mournlands.

Or Healing Belts.

Alter self could be awesome, since you're an outsider.
A ring of diamond mind would let you get moment of perfect mind 1/encounter to replace your Will save with a Concentration check.
Ray of dizziness can be a godsend, as can the various other non-damaging rays.
Shield is nice for a short-term boost to AC.

Edit: Maybe a homebrewed enlarge outsider. Or just enlarge person for Ek'ann.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-02, 02:24 PM
Whoops! I was away this weekend, but didn't think to warn you guys. ^_^''

Postmodernist
2012-12-02, 04:03 PM
Ok, I'll probably keep the bones of my character in place, but the fluff no longerr makes sense in the Mournland. Why would an angry, anti-colonial Xen'drik Drow who deals with demons be interested in making a ton of money with Karrnath in the Mournlands? It doesn't make good character sense. I'll have to concoct something I feel better about.

Can I get a little more of a teaser from our esteemed DM?

Lateral
2012-12-02, 04:12 PM
Huh. We must have very different monitors. Let's try... Sandy Brown

My monitor's colors are a little wonky. But yeah, that'll work.

Your Charisma is high enough that you could sink a single skill point into Use Psionic Device and get dorjes of vigor and empathic transfer. That's the only way to heal outside of the rope trick since we're in the mournlands.
[LIST]
Or Healing Belts.
Jeff brings up a good point. While you guys are in the Mournlands, healing spells won't work, but psionic healing, healing belts (but not wands), and resurrection incantations will. Also, any dead bodies won't decay (as gentle repose, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) but lasts as long as you're in the Mournland). Once you're outside of the universe, things get a little... weird.

Ok, I'll probably keep the bones of my character in place, but the fluff no longerr makes sense in the Mournland. Why would an angry, anti-colonial Xen'drik Drow who deals with demons be interested in making a ton of money with Karrnath in the Mournlands? It doesn't make good character sense. I'll have to concoct something I feel better about.

Can I get a little more of a teaser from our esteemed DM?

I'm still writing it.

Postmodernist
2012-12-02, 04:32 PM
Jeff brings up a good point. While you guys are in the Mournlands, healing spells won't work, but psionic healing, healing belts (but not wands), and resurrection incantations will. Also, any dead bodies won't decay (as gentle repose, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) but lasts as long as you're in the Mournland). Once you're outside of the universe, things get a little... weird.

Do the vigor line spells and fast healing work?

Lateral
2012-12-02, 04:45 PM
Do the vigor line spells and fast healing work?

Fast healing does, but vigor (the magical one) doesn't.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 05:22 PM
Fast healing does, but vigor (the magical one) doesn't.

If you want to houserule it that way, that's fine, but I don't think it's RAW. Fast healing counts as natural healing, so it's suppressed by the Mournlands. If it does work, all we need is a way to transfer damage to me, since I have fast healing 3, or, if someone has a free feat, Draconic Aura (vigor) gives fast healing 1 up to half HP.

Alternatively, if PostModernist's character will still be binding Andras most days, a Shield of Mercy (MIC, 2170 GP) will let him heal his EBL (8) every 5 rounds, or 16 HP/minute.

Lateral
2012-12-02, 06:18 PM
If you want to houserule it that way, that's fine, but I don't think it's RAW. Fast healing counts as natural healing, so it's suppressed by the Mournlands. If it does work, all we need is a way to transfer damage to me, since I have fast healing 3, or, if someone has a free feat, Draconic Aura (vigor) gives fast healing 1 up to half HP.

Alternatively, if PostModernist's character will still be binding Andras most days, a Shield of Mercy (MIC, 2170 GP) will let him heal his EBL (8) every 5 rounds, or 16 HP/minute.

Mmm, I forgot about natural healing being suppressed. Fast healing and body adjustment do not work, but healing belts, goodberry wine, and any way to get temporary hit points do work. Also, you can always try extradimensional spaces, although once you're in the chasm most of them won't work.

Also: Teaser!
The caravan drops you all off at a small clearing in the middle of a thick, dark forest in the middle of the night. You do not know where you are, or why you have all been called together, but there is a hundred-platinum advance in each of your purses that tells you not to ask questions.

In the center of this clearing, there is a great wooden table. A man at the head, clad in Karrnathi military dress, motions for you to come sit. When you have all taken your seats and partaken of some very expensive-tasting red wine, the man and begins to speak.

"I'm sure you all know of the Glowing Chasm in the region formerly known as Cyre." He pushes a slip of paper over to your end of the table. "For those who do not, here is a sketch. It is a great canyon carved by the Mourning four years ago, from which a purple glow with a peculiar effect on the mutant fauna of the Mournland emits. Since that terrible day, many have tried to descend into the Chasm in hope of finding the cause of the Mourning, but so far none have ever returned."

"The nation of Karrnath has an interest in this. A few weeks ago, our seers were able to uncover information regarding an ancient legend which tells of a powerful artifact, created by the progenitor wyrms over a hundred million years ago as a tool with which to learn the secrets of the universe. It is said that it was used to discover the Draconic Prophecy, and that it was removed from the world by Siberys in order to prevent Khyber from using it. Until recently, this was thought to be a myth; however, based on what our seers understand, the catastrophic event that caused the Mourning reopened the sealed rift through which this artifact was dropped." He hands you an envelope. "This contains much of the specific information that we have gathered regarding the nature of the chasm. Basically, it's a hole in the world, and we believe that you five are some of the only people in the world capable of exploring it."

"I don't think you need to be told how incredibly dangerous this is. If you are successful, the government of Karrnath is prepared to pay each of you a sum of one hundred thousand platinum. In addition, we believe that this realm may have, over the eons, bled through and stolen other items of power throughout history; you will be paid an extra ten thousand platinum for any other relics, and you may keep anything else you find."

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 06:41 PM
What kind of extradimensional spaces will and won't work? It'd really suck to spend all that gold on an eternal wand of rope trick and find out it doesnt work. If necessary, Davkhur will make a Knowledge (arcana) check to reason it out. [roll0] (Bonuses from MW tool, lore of the gods, and guidance of the avatar.)

Lateral
2012-12-02, 06:58 PM
Scrap that thing I just said, it's stupid. Extradimensional spaces work fine. Long-range teleports won't, though, since the whole place is constantly changing and a room you just left may not actually exist once you close the door.

Also: The new IC thread is up!

Jeff the Green
2012-12-02, 10:35 PM
You know what I just realized? Since we're in a sheer canyon rather than a rainforest, mules aren't going to be any use. Did anyone think to bring extradimensional storage?

If not, I recommend an Envelopping Pit for MIC (3600 GP). Cheaper and better than a portable hole. As is, I don't have the gold for it, or even 1/5 of it, so if someone is willing to buy it I'd reimburse my fifth with the first part of the treasure. Otherwise I'll drop a wand or something to pay for my fifth.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-03, 03:03 AM
Okay, let's see. I'll go with the following:

Enveloping Pit - 3,600gp
Metamagic Rod of Extend, lesser - 3,000gp
Pearl of Power (1st) - 1,000gp
Goodberry Wine, 2 - 500gp

and some scrolls from the cleric list for our first aid kit.

BelGareth
2012-12-03, 03:18 AM
Okay, let's see. I'll go with the following:

Enveloping Pit - 3,600gp
Goodberry Wine, 2 - 500gp

and some scrolls from the cleric list for our first aid kit.

Nice, can't go wrong with a lesser rod of extend. or empower for that matter....oh and I have a wand of CLW and lesser vigor for when we do manage the rope trick.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-03, 04:19 AM
Nice, can't go wrong with a lesser rod of extend. or empower for that matter....oh and I have a wand of CLW and lesser vigor for when we do manage the rope trick.

I've also got lesser restoration. Hopefully we won't have to do a ton of healing mid-day.

Which reminds me, we have no revive undead incantation. *Scuttles off to homebrew laboratory.* *Lightning flashes.* *Evil laughter*

Awesome. If the rod is for my buffs, you can assume that I cast barkskin on Ravana and Ek'aan each morning. It gives a +3 NA enhancement bonus and lasts 14 hours; exactly the time we spend outside of the extradimensional space. I don't have many other buffs that would benefit from the rod; maybe mage armor. You? Oberon?

Is the Pearl of Power for that or for your use?

BelGareth
2012-12-03, 04:32 AM
I've also got lesser restoration. Hopefully we won't have to do a ton of healing mid-day.

Which reminds me, we have no revive undead incantation. *Scuttles off to homebrew laboratory.* *Lightning flashes.* *Evil laughter*

Awesome. If the rod is for my buffs, you can assume that I cast barkskin on Ravana and Ek'aan each morning. It gives a +3 NA enhancement bonus and lasts 14 hours; exactly the time we spend outside of the extradimensional space. I don't have many other buffs that would benefit from the rod; maybe mage armor. You? Oberon?

Is the Pearl of Power for that or for your use?

for ease of reference:
Spells I have access to, those bolded are spells that are buffs with range of non-personal.

0—acid splash, detect magic, disrupt undead, light, ray of frost, resistance

1st— accuracy, burning hands, chill touch, expeditious retreat, fist of stone, grease, hail of stone, lesser orb of acid, lesser orb of cold, lesser orb of electricity, lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of sound, mage armor, magic missile, magic weapon, obscuring mist, produce flame, shield, shocking grasp, true strike

2nd—acid arrow, bear’s endurance, blades of fire, continual flame, eagle’s splendor, fire trap, fireburst, flame blade, flaming sphere, fog cloud, fox’s cunning, glitterdust, gust of wind, ice knife, protection from arrows, pyrotechnics, resist energy, scorching ray, see invisibility, shatter, sound burst, web*, whirling blade

3rd—call lightning, daylight, dispel magic, fire shield, fireball, flame arrow, greater mage armor, greater magic weapon, ice storm, haste, keen edge, lightning bolt, poison, protection from energy, ray of exhaustion, resonating bolt, ring of blades, searing light, sleet storm, slow, stinking cloud, vampiric touch

4th—arcane eye, black tentacles, blast of flame, blistering radiance, contagion, dimension door, enervation, hallucinatory terrain, mass resist energy, orb of acid, orb of cold, orb of electricity, orb of fire, orb of force, orb of sound, phantasmal killer, shout, solid fog, spike stones, stoneskin, wall of fire, wall of ice

EDIT: I also have a 1st pearl and Metamagic rod of lesser empower.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-03, 05:41 AM
for ease of reference:
Spells I have access to, those bolded are spells that are buffs with range of non-personal.
*snip*
EDIT: I also have a 1st pearl and Metamagic rod of lesser empower.

Maybe greater mage armor? I think everyone but Ek'aan would benefit. I can also extend some of my shorter-term buffs, like invisibility, blur, and the like, but I'm not sure how big of a benefit that would be.

Oh, and I just remembered: Pearls of Power only work for prepared casting. For spontaneous you need Memento Magica (RotD)*, which cost 50% more. :smallfurious:

*Yes, the plural is the same as the singular.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-03, 08:37 AM
@Jeff Yes, the rod was for the buffs. The Pearl of Power is for you as well, since I'm a spontaneous caster. Or are you one as well?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-03, 10:11 AM
@Jeff Yes, the rod was for the buffs. The Pearl of Power is for you as well, since I'm a spontaneous caster. Or are you one as well?

I'm both. Archivist prepares from a spellbook and Beguiler is full-list spontaneous.

BelGareth
2012-12-03, 10:24 AM
So, you other guys going to post in the IC?

*looks at Guyfawkes*

:smallcool:

GuyFawkes
2012-12-03, 10:29 AM
@Jeff Well you can use it for your archivist spells then.

@Bel Dammit, I'm pressured to have an equally verbose first post as you two. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin: And yeah, I'm finalizing my sheet before leaping in (for both meanings).

Jeff the Green
2012-12-04, 02:16 AM
Protectar's a humanoid? :smalltongue: Maybe try Avariel or Raptoran.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-04, 07:12 AM
It's an outsider but has humanoid form, since Ravana is one as well. Does it have to be of humanoid type?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-04, 07:33 AM
Yeah. The ability specifiesA rakshasa can assume any humanoid form, or revert to its own form, as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has.
I think it's based on alter self, but it's just humanoids. Otherwise it wouldn't be great for disguising themselves.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-04, 08:50 AM
Oh, yeah. Well the original entry here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) is much clearer. I'll change it an avariel then.

Also, Ravana fell quite a distance before he changed so his transformation would not be seen.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-04, 01:02 PM
Also, Ravana fell quite a distance before he changed so his transformation would not be seen.

Doesn't matter. Davkhur's Spellcraft modifier is high enough to recognize the effects of any spell of 4th level or lower just taking 10, so he could tell if you were using alter self or polymorph even if he didn't see you cast it.

Lateral
2012-12-04, 03:07 PM
Just FYI, we're probably going to be joined by another player. Nothing will change, except that there will always have been a sixth PC. (Nothing has actually happened yet, so it's okay.)

Derjuin, if you know what kind of personality and basic abilities your character will have, please post with that information on the OOC and make an in-character post as soon as possible, before you finish the sheet. The longer you wait, the more the addition of an extra PC becomes disruptive.

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone.

My character concept is a gruff, rough-and-tumble half Orc druid/nature celebrant-type - very "The strong survive" ish. Although we're in Eberron, could I request some Forgotten Realms material (Greenbound Summoning, Rashemi Elemental Summoning)? If no, it's fine - I would just switch them out for feats with a different focus. She will probably be a Druid/Barbarian of some kind.

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 04:10 PM
Oops, forgot stat rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

How do we generate HP?

If by roll:

[roll7]
Forgot the first level is maxed, so 57 before Con mod.

Rerolls (if they're allowed):
[roll8] No 1s

Jeff the Green
2012-12-04, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone.

My character concept is a gruff, rough-and-tumble half Orc druid/nature celebrant-type - very "The strong survive" ish. Although we're in Eberron, could I request some Forgotten Realms material (Greenbound Summoning, Rashemi Elemental Summoning)? If no, it's fine - I would just switch them out for feats with a different focus. She will probably be a Druid/Barbarian of some kind.

FYI, summoning is my (Davkhur's) schtick. Maybe you could be wildshape focussed instead? Totem rager//Druid would fit your concept and be effective.

Lateral
2012-12-04, 04:22 PM
Greenbound Summoning is approved- Jeff is already using it. Rashemi Elemental Summoning is also approved. Like Jeff said, though, Davhkur is using summons heavily.

HP is max at all levels.

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 04:29 PM
FYI, summoning is my (Davkhur's) schtick. Maybe you could be wildshape focussed instead? Totem rager//Druid would fit your concept and be effective.

I'm not actually going to be focused on summoning; they're merely to make those summons I do use more powerful. If you'd like, though, I'll stay away from Greenbound summoning and use Rashemi Elementals instead.

Actually, I think I will go Wild shape focused instead.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-04, 04:48 PM
hi Derj. :smallsmile: 'sup?

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 04:58 PM
hi Derj. :smallsmile: 'sup?

Not much. How are you doing?

Lix Lorn
2012-12-04, 05:52 PM
Mostly good.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-04, 06:40 PM
I'm not actually going to be focused on summoning; they're merely to make those summons I do use more powerful. If you'd like, though, I'll stay away from Greenbound summoning and use Rashemi Elementals instead.

Actually, I think I will go Wild shape focused instead.

It's not a problem for me if you want to summon too, I just didn't want too much redundancy when you could fill another role if you want.

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 07:04 PM
Alrighty, here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=479170) is the sheet. I made a few changes, but edited my IC post to reflect them (mostly just that she's a Goliath instead of a half-orc). It's not totally complete (missing description and personality) but mechanically it should all be there.

BelGareth
2012-12-04, 07:10 PM
Hey its Derjuin!

GuyFawkes
2012-12-04, 10:38 PM
Ooh, another player. Hello!

Lateral
2012-12-04, 10:51 PM
Alrighty, here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=479170) is the sheet. I made a few changes, but edited my IC post to reflect them (mostly just that she's a Goliath instead of a half-orc). It's not totally complete (missing description and personality) but mechanically it should all be there.
Couple things:

You'll be limited to one Morphic Weapon per Warshaper level at a time, in addition to your normal natural attacks. Alternatively, you can do the weapon size thing; this counts as one extra natural attack and applies to all of your natural weapons, but you may only increase their size a number of times equal to 1/4 your character level (so, 2). For my sanity.
The party is filled with morally questionable (and, in one case, outright evil) characters, and you're going Exalted. I won't be holding you to anything beyond what I would expect from any other good character, since the whole Exalted thing is a pain in the ass for the party, but... just consider the fact that the primary motivation for this thing is a big heaping sack of money.

Hey, were the forums offline for like half an hour for anyone else?

BelGareth
2012-12-04, 11:10 PM
Couple things:

You'll be limited to one Morphic Weapon per Warshaper level at a time, in addition to your normal natural attacks. Alternatively, you can do the weapon size thing; this counts as one extra natural attack and applies to all of your natural weapons, but you may only increase their size a number of times equal to 1/4 your character level (so, 2). For my sanity.
The party is filled with morally questionable (and, in one case, outright evil) characters, and you're going Exalted. I won't be holding you to anything beyond what I would expect from any other good character, since the whole Exalted thing is a pain in the ass for the party, but... just consider the fact that the primary motivation for this thing is a big heaping sack of money.

Hey, were the forums offline for like half an hour for anyone else?

yeah the party's alignement is very heavy in the Blasse-Evil-moral-ambiguous area. Why not just use Drolyt's VoP fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) ?

OR your exalted goal in life could be to turn us all to the side of good, lol

Lateral
2012-12-04, 11:17 PM
yeah the party's alignement is very heavy in the Blasse-Evil-moral-ambiguous area. Why not just use Drolyt's VoP fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) ?
Hmm. On the one hand, you're a druid anyway, but on the other we have an archivist anyway and I think you're perfectly capable of keeping your melee shenanigans on par with the rest of the party, so it's approved. Feel free to use that one, it's less stupidly restrictive. Though, again, you'll need a reason why a druid with a vow of poverty wants to find a MacGuffin for a million-GP reward.

Derjuin
2012-12-04, 11:50 PM
Hmm. On the one hand, you're a druid anyway, but on the other we have an archivist anyway and I think you're perfectly capable of keeping your melee shenanigans on par with the rest of the party, so it's approved. Feel free to use that one, it's less stupidly restrictive. Though, again, you'll need a reason why a druid with a vow of poverty wants to find a MacGuffin for a million-GP reward.

I think at this point it might just be easier for me to make an entirely new character and edit my intro post - the orc just doesn't feel like it'll work (for me) anymore.

How close is the party to 9th level? I have a 9th level gestalt character sitting on the sidelines from a game that never started who would probably work for this game, though she can't really be lower than 9th level because of Gloura (7 RHD, 2 LA).

Lateral
2012-12-05, 12:07 AM
I think at this point it might just be easier for me to make an entirely new character and edit my intro post - the orc just doesn't feel like it'll work (for me) anymore.

How close is the party to 9th level? I have a 9th level gestalt character sitting on the sidelines from a game that never started who would probably work for this game, though she can't really be lower than 9th level because of Gloura (7 RHD, 2 LA).

Not close enough, but we can drop one RHD and one level of native Bard casting, and have you bring it up to seven at the first level-up. I know about the PGtF thing, but honestly, it's kind of pointless if you're going Gestalt. So is buyoff, by the way, since you're losing track from both progressions but only removing LA from one side.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-05, 12:10 AM
Though, again, you'll need a reason why a druid with a vow of poverty wants to find a MacGuffin for a million-GP reward.

Not that hard, actually. VoP characters can be motivated by money, just not greed. Think of it as fundraising for the poor, sick, and orphaned.

There are rules in... PGtF I think? for playing higher ECL characters than the rest of the party. It was meant to allow you to play aasimar, tieflings, and drow at lv. 1, but there's no reason you can't use it here. I think it's essentially a negative level until the rest of the party catches up. (You could even combine that with buy-off to start at lv. 6 + 1 LA + 2000 xp and one neg level so you'd catch up faster and wouldn't have the LA once we hit higher levels, where gloura isn't much better than plain-Jane bard. And then you could buy off the next LA at 9th.)

What's on the other side?

Edit: Found it. PGtF p. 190. For each negative level adjustment, you get -1 to:

Skill and ability checks
Attack rolls
Saving throws
Level checks (including CL checks)
DCs of spells and any other ability with a save DC
Any constant armor class bonus from race (e.g. natural armor)

Derjuin
2012-12-05, 12:30 AM
Not close enough, but we can drop one RHD and one level of native Bard casting, and have you bring it up to seven at the first level-up.

That'd be great!

Here are the sources for unusual/different things:

Deepwood Sniper (Masters of the Wild, 3.0 book - the class is pretty much 3.5-ready, except its Craft (Bowmaking) skill)
Targeteer (http://www.thirteen10.com/the6elements/setting/additional/Variant%20Fighters.pdf) fighter variant (at the bottom)
Glove of the Master Strategist (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=3624), wondrous magic item from Ghostwalk

If they are approved, then my character is pretty much ready (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464202). I adjusted her WBL for 8th level, and I'm pretty sure everything's correct.

Postmodernist
2012-12-05, 12:31 AM
I thought the original 16 requested that we stay below Tier 3. Now that I'm seeing druid and archivist class levels, I'm wondering about rehashing Ek'ann further, say by replacing those paladin levels with cleric or the like. Comments?

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 01:13 AM
Hmmm. Is it too late to change my character? It's not a major change, just a swap of what rakshasa version I'll be using. I'm thinking this Rakshasa version I'm using is more suited for a socially-focused campaign, and the rakshasa version from the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm) (MM) gives me better in terms of the direction of the game.

If that's approved, I get +7 LA, so I have one level more for a class. I'm thinking Mage of the Arcane Order for more utility.

Disregard the brainfart.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-05, 01:15 AM
I thought the original 16 requested that we stay below Tier 3. Now that I'm seeing druid and archivist class levels, I'm wondering about rehashing Ek'ann further, say by replacing those paladin levels with cleric or the like. Comments?

I don't remember that, actually; otherwise I wouldn't have made 'Teia a cleric. Cleric would definitely beef you up and would do two things to really synergize with me: A) you could take over some of the buffing and maybe dispelling so I can summon more and higher levels and B) it would make adding to my spellbook easier. So I definitely approve. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and speaking of spells, I'm tweaking my list. If anyone wants a particular divine buff, speak now. (No one but Oberon is Good and able to benefit from lumnous armor, right?) Also, I realized I have a better way to get down, and will edit my IC post accordingly. Edit: NM, I like the climbing better, even if flight is mechanically superior.

If that's approved, I get +7 LA, so I have one level more for a class.

Actually, it's 7 RHD and +7 LA, meaning it's ECL 14

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 01:22 AM
Oh, right. What you get for not reading. My bad. Don't mind that post.

EDIT: Actually, it'd be useful if I swapped out one Rakshasa level with one level of Mage of the Arcane Order. Would that be okay?

@Post, Having a cleric would make things easier. That'll let me discard some of my scrolls for other useful stuff.

BelGareth
2012-12-05, 01:58 AM
I think I might change my build too...:smallbiggrin:

lol, I'm starting to feel left out :smallwink:

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 02:05 AM
Lol. For you Bel, I won't be changing my build anymore. :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2012-12-05, 02:24 AM
Lol. For you Bel, I won't be changing my build anymore. :smallbiggrin:
I was only joking, feel free to, while the DM is still happy to let you!

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 02:30 AM
Nah. I thought I'd just lose a bit of SR and DR when changing levels, but looking at it, I'd be loosing 2 Con as well. And I already have a bad enough Fort save as it is. I'll just get it next level. Though I have to tweak my feats for the prerequisites.

Lateral
2012-12-05, 07:17 AM
Deepwood Sniper (Masters of the Wild, 3.0 book - the class is pretty much 3.5-ready, except its Craft (Bowmaking) skill)
Targeteer (http://www.thirteen10.com/the6elements/setting/additional/Variant%20Fighters.pdf) fighter variant (at the bottom)
Glove of the Master Strategist (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=3624), wondrous magic item from Ghostwalk

If they are approved, then my character is pretty much ready (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464202). I adjusted her WBL for 8th level, and I'm pretty sure everything's correct.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Hmm. Oberon and Titania.

I don't believe I said that; I did say not to overdo it, though. If you want to change your build, feel free.

BelGareth
2012-12-05, 07:29 AM
Hmm. Oberon and Titania.

How did i not see that?

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 09:22 AM
Maybe I should change Ravana's name to Puck, seeing as he is the playful one anyway. :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2012-12-05, 10:04 AM
Maybe I should change Ravana's name to Puck, seeing as he is the playful one anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, but who would be Theseus?

Lix Lorn
2012-12-05, 10:26 AM
Hmm. I want to modify the Radiant and the phoenix so that lat doesn't have to rule zero them, but I can't think of a way to nerf either of them in a way that makes the combination balanced, without making the single things weak...

Postmodernist
2012-12-05, 08:13 PM
I don't believe I said that; I did say not to overdo it, though. If you want to change your build, feel free.

I somehow seem to recall specifically toning down the build, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, some changes to the character will likely be forthcoming, most notably that he may no longer be a Vulkoor (Lolth) touched Drow. I'm thinking human, probably a Karrnathi, though the character's attitude will remain much the same as Ek'ann's. The name should probably change as well, but it's too late for that.

Modifications will be done this weekend. I doubt we'll have any serious by encounters then.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-05, 10:27 PM
Ah, there you have it. You now have Theseus. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2012-12-05, 10:56 PM
Modifications will be done this weekend. I doubt we'll have any serious by encounters then.

You might want to post how you're going to get to the bottom, though.

Lateral
2012-12-12, 12:18 AM
We're starting tomorrow. Postmodernist, if you're still here, you need to finish your sheet right away, or at least post OOC with the stuff you have done.

Lateral
2012-12-13, 12:21 AM
One tough, straight fight, to start things off. Roll initiative, make knowledge checks, draw up plans, go bananas.

BelGareth
2012-12-13, 12:34 AM
My init mod is +7, not sure who's is highest, in case mine is:

[roll0]

Derjuin
2012-12-13, 12:56 AM
[roll0] Initiative

@BelGareth: Nat20, woo! :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2012-12-13, 12:59 AM
Sooo... Dungeonographer just decided to start having issues with my computer. It might be a few days before you guys get a map.

On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone know of any other free mapmakers I can download? GIMP is good for editing maps, but I don't know how to use it well enough for it to be useful in actually drawing maps.

And no one has a higher initiative modifier than Derjuin, so her roll is the only one that counts, anyway. Sorry, Belgareth, but your natural 20 isn't going to matter here. You guys win initiative, anyway.

BelGareth
2012-12-13, 12:59 AM
[roll0] Initiative

@BelGareth: Nat20, woo! :smallbiggrin:

Woot! (even if it is 1 more than your's!):smallbiggrin:

Derjuin
2012-12-13, 01:06 AM
I don't think it can be downloaded, but I'm pretty sure the site roll20(dot)net provides free mapmaking services for campaigns and stuff. It might be helpful in this scenario; I've never actually used it to make maps, though.

BelGareth
2012-12-13, 01:08 AM
Sooo... Dungeonographer just decided to start having issues with my computer. It might be a few days before you guys get a map.

On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone know of any other free mapmakers I can download? GIMP is good for editing maps, but I don't know how to use it well enough for it to be useful in actually drawing maps.

And no one has a higher initiative modifier than Derjuin, so her roll is the only one that counts, anyway. Sorry, Belgareth, but your natural 20 isn't going to matter here. You guys win initiative, anyway.

I use D20pro which has a free client version, I just print screen it and then there is pyromancer.com

GuyFawkes
2012-12-13, 08:34 AM
Initiative!!: [roll0]

Lix Lorn
2012-12-13, 10:00 AM
>_>
<_<
(rolls initiative for the fun of it)
[roll0]

Jeff the Green
2012-12-13, 01:52 PM
*Looks disdainfully at Lix*
*Has more useful things to roll*

I really have no clue what Knowledge might be appropriate, so I'm just going to roll d20s and list my modifiers after.

Humanoidish thing: [roll0]
Flying centipede: [roll1]
+13 arcana, +14 dungeoneering, +6 (untrained) local, +11 nature, +14 religion, +11 the planes.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-13, 02:18 PM
Oh right, knowledge...
[roll0] Humanoid
[roll1] Centipede
+13 for religion, otherwise it's a +2 untrained.

Lateral
2012-12-13, 05:41 PM
*Looks disdainfully at Lix*
*Has more useful things to roll*

I really have no clue what Knowledge might be appropriate, so I'm just going to roll d20s and list my modifiers after.

Humanoidish thing: [roll0]
Flying centipede: [roll1]
+13 arcana, +14 dungeoneering, +6 (untrained) local, +11 nature, +14 religion, +11 the planes.
The centipede, you identify as a Remorhaz. They usually live in cold climates, but they're basically giant centipedes of fiery death. The humanoid, you identify as a fiend called a gelugon, but you can't quite recall what their abilities are, aside from that they're ice-related.

(You made the check for the Remorhaz, but you missed the check for the ice devil by one.)

Oh right, knowledge...
[roll0] Humanoid
[roll1] Centipede
+13 for religion, otherwise it's a +2 untrained.
You know exactly squat.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-13, 05:52 PM
"I don't need to know things. That's what I have underlings for."

Lateral
2012-12-13, 07:38 PM
"I don't need to know things. That's what I have underlings for."
If you call the rest of the party 'underlings,' pretty soon they'll be calling you 'phoenix-kebab.'

Lix Lorn
2012-12-13, 10:23 PM
She didn't mean the party. xD

Jeff the Green
2012-12-13, 11:15 PM
If it's going to be a while until you can do the map, Lateral, maybe you could give a description of how far we each are from the baddies and the ice sheet, and the dimensions of the ice sheet? So long as Davkhur's less than 75' from them I can take my turn without the map.

Lateral
2012-12-13, 11:43 PM
If it's going to be a while until you can do the map, Lateral, maybe you could give a description of how far we each are from the baddies and the ice sheet, and the dimensions of the ice sheet? So long as Davkhur's less than 75' from them I can take my turn without the map.

I can do that, yeah. The sheet is a level plane along the canyon- 50 feet long, spanning the width of the canyon (you guys are at the very edge, so the sides are very close together; in other places, it can be miles wide) and 25 feet wide. If we say that the canyon is oriented east-west (so the 25 feet of ice are on the X-axis and the 50 feet are on the Y), and that the X-axis goes A-E and the Y goes 1-10, then:

Lix is at B-7, five feet above the ice.
Oberon is at D-4, ten feet above the ice.
Titania is at E-4, ten feet above the ice.
Ravana is at A-9, fifteen feet above the ice.
Jeff is on the wall, fifteen up at G-0; that is, he's on the north wall, ten feet east and fifteen feet above the ice.
The enemy covers a 15-foot square, with corners at B-2 and D-4, thirty feet above the ice.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-14, 12:21 AM
In case you don't get it from the context, bolded, colored, italicized text means Davkhur is using his telepathy to "speak" to one or more people. unbolded, colored, italicized text means Davkhur is thinking to himself.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-15, 01:41 AM
Hopefully you guys don't have a problem with Ravana going first so everyone benefits from Crushing Despair and Good Hope.

Yes, please. I like it when bad guys can only save on a 19 or 20.

BelGareth, if the remorhaz fails his save vs my spell and does enough damage to the ice to crash through (and it should; huge monsters are 2-16 tons = 20d6 damage to a 39 HP wall), you might fire that arrow again as it wakes up from the damage. How far are we from the canyon floor, again? :smallamused:

GuyFawkes
2012-12-15, 08:24 AM
I believe the remorhaz is 30 feet above the ice and most of the flyers except Ravana are 10 feet up.

BelGareth
2012-12-15, 08:49 AM
Yes, please. I like it when bad guys can only save on a 19 or 20.

BelGareth, if the remorhaz fails his save vs my spell and does enough damage to the ice to crash through (and it should; huge monsters are 2-16 tons = 20d6 damage to a 39 HP wall), you might fire that arrow again as it wakes up from the damage. How far are we from the canyon floor, again? :smallamused:

This is a good idea, but I was going for the "YOU ARE GOING TO SLEEP NO MATTER WHAT" deal, but I guess it could make both saves....this is after all pbp on giantip.com:smallbiggrin:

What is best, make sure it goes to sleep or split it up and go for the gamble?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-16, 10:47 PM
So... we just waiting for Lix?

This is a good idea, but I was going for the "YOU ARE GOING TO SLEEP NO MATTER WHAT" deal, but I guess it could make both saves....this is after all pbp on giantip.com:smallbiggrin:

What is best, make sure it goes to sleep or split it up and go for the gamble?

They don't resolve simultaneously. If it fails one, it falls and then wakes when it hits the ice. If it fails both it wakes when it hits the ice and then is immediately put back to sleep.

By the way, how are you doing the arrows? Are they just normal arrows that you enchant on the fly or are they specially made?

Lix Lorn
2012-12-16, 10:50 PM
So... we just waiting for Lix?
Oh snap
Are we?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-16, 10:55 PM
I think so. Lateral's having trouble with the map, but he gave us coordinates.

Lateral
2012-12-16, 11:00 PM
Lix and Derjuin. Also Postmodernist, if he ever actually posts.

Lateral
2012-12-17, 12:30 AM
Okay, so I wasn't expecting you two to actually post until, like, tomorrow. I sent Postmodernist a PM earlier, telling him to post by the time they have. If he hasn't posted by... let's say Wednesday at the earliest, although I might not have time to post then, then I'll skip his turn.

GuyFawkes
2012-12-17, 12:40 AM
By the way, how are you doing the arrows? Are they just normal arrows that you enchant on the fly or are they specially made?

I think that's the pixie's supernatural ability.

BelGareth
2012-12-17, 12:45 AM
What he said ^

They don't resolve simultaneously. If it fails one, it falls and then wakes when it hits the ice. If it fails both it wakes when it hits the ice and then is immediately put back to sleep.

Good point. Normal arrows that I enchant on the fly.

Lateral
2012-12-20, 05:07 PM
Saves:

[roll0] <--- Crushing Despair (Remorhaz)
[roll1] <--- Crushing Despair (Gelugon)
[roll2] <--- Jeph's spell
[roll3] <--- Oberon's arrow

(Damage from falling, if one of the saves fails:)

[roll4] <--- Against wall
[roll5] <--- Remorhaz
[roll6] <--- Gelugon

Lateral
2012-12-20, 05:40 PM
Oh, yeah, right. Attacks of opportunity against Ravana.

[roll0]
[roll1] and save DC 23 vs. slow: [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4] plus grapple: [roll5] vs. [roll6]

If Ravana fails the save or the grapple check, his attack fails. In addition, if the grapple check fails, he takes [roll7] damage, plus... let's say a 50% chance of taking the fire damage from touching the Remorhaz, since there's a good chance that it would land on him if it's grappling him in its mouth.
[roll8] for [roll9] fire damage.

Edit: Two hits, and you take the fire damage, for a grand total of 76 damage. You're not grappled any more, though. No hits. Ravana's attack lands, they're Crushing Despair'd, Ravana takes no damage. When they fall, he gets an attack of opportunity.

Lateral
2012-12-20, 06:26 PM
Crit confirm:

[roll0]

Okay, so that's 57 damage to Lix.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-20, 06:59 PM
...OW.
So um. Bye guys she's leaving you to die. :smalltongue:

Lateral
2012-12-20, 07:20 PM
...OW.
So um. Bye guys she's leaving you to die. :smalltongue:

Bet I can convince her to stay in three words or less.

By the way, my computer decided to be a huge jerk and freeze up, so I might not be able to upload a map tonight. I do have one ready, though, I just can't upload it from the hipster iPad.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-20, 07:21 PM
Um, pretty sure that Ravana isn't directly under the remorhaz, and the AoOs didn't hit. Also, Ravana should might get an AoO against one of them as they fall.

Bet I can convince her to stay in three words or less.

"Attack," "of," and "opportunity"?

Lateral
2012-12-20, 07:31 PM
Um, pretty sure that Ravana isn't directly under the remorhaz, and the AoOs didn't hit. Also, Ravana should might get an AoO against one of them as they fall.
What? Yes, they did. His AC is 25, isn't it?

"Attack," "of," and "opportunity"?
Nope. "Million-gold reward."

Jeff the Green
2012-12-20, 07:49 PM

28. He and Ek'ann (if PoMo ever shows) have a CL 7 extended barkskin cast on them each morning.

Lix Lorn
2012-12-20, 08:03 PM

Nope. "Million-gold reward."
"Done."

Also, full disclosure, she wasn't going to. Quite apart from the boringness of my play then, she doesn't give up THAT easily. She would/will however bitch about it.

Lateral
2012-12-20, 08:10 PM
"Done."

Also, full disclosure, she wasn't going to. Quite apart from the boringness of my play then, she doesn't give up THAT easily. She would/will however bitch about it.

28. He and Ek'ann (if PoMo ever shows) have a CL 7 extended barkskin cast on them each morning.
Ah. Changing to reflect that. GuyFawkes, could you please put that in the character sheet?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-20, 11:34 PM
Hmmm... Would a wall with an 80 square-foot surface area encapsulate the remorhaz and gelugon against the wall? And do plant creatures (specifically Greenbound ones) have a language?

Lateral
2012-12-20, 11:59 PM
Hmmm... Would a wall with an 80 square-foot surface area encapsulate the remorhaz and gelugon against the wall? And do plant creatures (specifically Greenbound ones) have a language?

I think it's just the same as the base creature's languages.

And, no. Not even close.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-21, 12:25 AM
Looks like I'll need an item of speak with plants eventually.

Lateral
2012-12-21, 07:16 PM
Okay, I uploaded the map, so you guys can go ahead.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-22, 04:45 AM
An idea, Lateral:

Add numbers over each dot to help us do height, when we're in 3D mode. Maybe height in 5' increments, so 15' would be "3"?

GuyFawkes
2012-12-22, 10:38 AM
Ah. Changing to reflect that. GuyFawkes, could you please put that in the character sheet?

Ah, yes I forgot about that. Consider it done.

Lateral
2012-12-22, 05:22 PM
An idea, Lateral:

Add numbers over each dot to help us do height, when we're in 3D mode. Maybe height in 5' increments, so 15' would be "3"?

Will do on next map.

BelGareth
2012-12-28, 04:27 AM
I'm curious, is the devil still alive from Titanias rain of fury?

Lateral
2012-12-28, 11:38 PM
Yes.

Jeff the Green
2012-12-30, 02:50 AM
Hint for Lix: the Remorhaz has 23 HP remaining (assuming he's unmodified from the SRD), and the gelugon doesn't have natural flight. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2012-12-30, 08:09 AM
Ooooh. Is it my go?

Jeff the Green
2012-12-30, 08:30 AM
Well, everyone else has.

Lateral
2012-12-30, 12:55 PM
Rolls.

[roll0] (falling damage: remorhaz)
[roll1] (falling damage: gelugon)

Jeff the Green
2012-12-31, 02:22 PM
Ouch. I'm going to use an immediate action to initiate action before thought. Concentration: [roll0]

Whew. That halves it to 23, less cold resistance is 13. Much more manageable.

Edit:
What do you think about expanding the SNA lists in this fashion (either as a house rule or a feat)? SM got lots of love from splats, but SNA didn't. And it'd be nice to have a dire eagle or hawk at lowish levels rather than just the giant eagle and giant owl, which don't benefit from greenbound summoning.

GuyFawkes
2013-01-02, 06:19 AM
Oops, messed my attack roll for the immediate action:
Attack: [roll0]

The dispel was just 2 points off. Boo.

And I'll just roll my attack here for the next round:
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Jeff the Green
2013-01-11, 01:37 AM
Guys? You there? :smalleek:

GuyFawkes
2013-01-11, 02:17 AM
I think Lateral's off to somewhere for a couple days? Not sure.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-11, 03:15 AM
I think Lateral's off to somewhere for a couple days? Not sure.

Yeah, but it's not the baddy's turn. BelGareth, Derjuin, and Lix need to post their turns.

Lix Lorn
2013-01-11, 02:35 PM
Again?
Perhaps I should have put more options in my build...

Lateral
2013-01-11, 09:51 PM
Nope, still here. Busy, but here. And yeah, I'm waiting on those three.

GuyFawkes
2013-01-12, 10:45 AM
Oh. Right. Not being able to be online everyday makes it hard to remember stuff. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2013-01-12, 02:29 PM
...I really hope that hits... >_<

Jeff the Green
2013-01-13, 01:37 AM
...I really hope that hits... >_<

Don't think so. Gelugons have 32 AC. Also regeneration. :smallmad:

Lateral, I may have suggested this before, but every game I've been in/run that were successful has had a house rule wherein if a player doesn't post within 2 days, the DM NPCed you for a turn. Might be a good idea to institute that.

Also, if you didn't see it, what do you think about expanding the SNA lists a la this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11773709) idea? SM got a lot of love from splats, but SNA didn't.

Lateral
2013-01-13, 01:51 AM
Don't think so. Gelugons have 32 AC. Also regeneration. :smallmad:
Lucky for you that you're in the Mournlands, then.
Still not a hit, though.

Lateral, I may have suggested this before, but every game I've been in/run that were successful has had a house rule wherein if a player doesn't post within 2 days, the DM NPCed you for a turn. Might be a good idea to institute that.
I'll do my best, but I haven't exactly been able to keep up a decent schedule either. I'll shoot some PMs, but if they haven't posted by Monday night I'll try to write something.

Also, if you didn't see it, what do you think about expanding the SNA lists a la this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11773709) idea? SM got a lot of love from splats, but SNA didn't.

Do it.

Lateral
2013-01-17, 11:42 PM
Urgh. Sorry, guys. I'll try to have something up tomorrow, but it's nearly midnight and I still have a good hour-and-a-half of work left to do. :smallfrown:

Jeff the Green
2013-01-21, 02:35 PM
Also, I'mma be nice and make Titania go first, so you guys don't have to waste your spell slots/incantations.

What, you mean I wrote that description of blinding color surge for nothing? :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-01-21, 03:13 PM
What, you mean I wrote that description of blinding color surge for nothing? :smalltongue:

Well, it failed anyway, so yeah. :smalltongue:

GuyFawkes
2013-01-21, 10:44 PM
Or if you wanna go for overkill (that didn't work still), go ahead. :smallwink:

GuyFawkes
2013-01-25, 12:51 PM
Healing belts work, right?

Jeff the Green
2013-01-25, 04:00 PM
Yep. Psionics (except body adjustment), healing belts, temp HP, and goodberry wine are about the only functional methods of healing.

Lateral
2013-01-25, 11:41 PM
On another note, Could I remake Oberon, He's feeling a little under powered compared to the others, and well I'm not feeling him much.
[/SPOILER]

Sure. Try to keep appearance and basic feel the same, though. Also, any spells you've already used have to be usable by your new build (or, at the very least, something thematically similar), and they're still expended.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-26, 03:26 AM
On another note, Could I remake Oberon, He's feeling a little under powered compared to the others, and well I'm not feeling him much.

If you'd like some help/ideas, let me know. I like building mages. :smallsmile:

Jeff the Green
2013-01-28, 01:35 AM
one member of your party can't fly.

You're talking about Davkhur, yeah? He can, actually. I just preferred to blow Beguiler slots than wand charges or Archivist slots. Can you describe the layout a bit more explicitly, since my flight is very limited in duration?

Lateral
2013-01-28, 03:04 AM
You're talking about Davkhur, yeah? He can, actually. I just preferred to blow Beguiler slots than wand charges or Archivist slots. Can you describe the layout a bit more explicitly, since my flight is very limited in duration?

It's at least a mile below you.

(This pause is essentially a formality, but I didn't want to designate your method of obtaining flight, in case it becomes relevant.)

Lateral
2013-01-28, 03:06 AM

It's at least a mile below you. Maybe fifteen minutes' worth of flight time. It's a little far away to be able to tell much more.

Other than that, the top of the cavern is extremely craggy and covered with stalactites. Not much else.

(This pause is essentially a formality, but I didn't want to designate your method of obtaining flight, in case it becomes relevant.)

BelGareth
2013-01-28, 03:22 AM
So In managed to delete my sub to this thread. :smalleek:

Sure. Try to keep appearance and basic feel the same, though. Also, any spells you've already used have to be usable by your new build (or, at the very least, something thematically similar), and they're still expended.

Awesome, I'll to try to work something out so as not to step on any toes and be useful at the same time...

EDIT:
Does natural healing work in the rift?
Nevermind I figured it out from here (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mournland)...wait, that says different to what we are following...are these the official rules for the area, or are we following a 'different' version? (I'm cool with either, just curious)

Lateral
2013-01-28, 03:31 AM
The rift is... weird. I'm going to be cautious and say 'not usually.'

BelGareth
2013-01-28, 03:35 AM
The rift is... weird. I'm going to be cautious and say 'not usually.'

Roger.

So I'll assume that we did not heal through the journey south.
(also, I edited my question above, but I think you answered it)

EDIT:

Didn't change a whole lot, also I realized I have Improved Invisibility, which would have helped with hitting in the combat, ah well...

Oberon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=470305) Now with Rogue levels!

GuyFawkes
2013-01-28, 06:59 AM
Which one of us doesn't have flight?

Jeff the Green
2013-01-28, 09:09 AM
Which one of us doesn't have flight?
He was referring to me, though I do have limited flight capability (wand of gaseous form and celestial aspect)

end up at the ceiling of the canyon above it, but you encounter one small problem- the orb is still far, far below you, and one member of your party can't fly.
Okay, my brain still isn't working and I can't picture it. How are we at the ceiling of a canyon?

Also, XP? The calculator says that if the two were unmodified, it would be 3200 (3780 for Davkhur).

Lix Lorn
2013-01-28, 09:15 AM
Man, you're taking things too seriously.
[S] Descend More Casually

Jeff the Green
2013-01-28, 09:24 AM
"[s]"? Yada yada