PDA

View Full Version : For Gold & Glory OOC



Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Lix Lorn
2013-01-28, 09:32 AM
It's a reference to homestuck, a multimedia tour de force currently referred to as a webcomic. it starts off a little slow, but is wonderful.
===> Is used as the 'next page' button, and
[S] ===> Denotes a page with sound and animation.

BelGareth
2013-01-28, 10:01 AM
Imagine cave as this:

Behold my drawing skills!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tn0bJ6xDZ8I/UQaSsufdLjI/AAAAAAAACqg/wUphi68OQpg/s576/Example.jpg

GuyFawkes
2013-01-28, 10:51 AM
Hehe. Hehehe. Nice touch on the skelly.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-28, 07:34 PM
Okay, that makes sense. I'm going to need results of my Knowledge check to proceed, though.

Lateral
2013-01-28, 10:44 PM
Also, XP? The calculator says that if the two were unmodified, it would be 3200 (3780 for Davkhur).
Yeah.


===> Is used as the 'next page' button, and
[S] ===> Denotes a page with sound and animation.
Heh. Too bad there are five of you. What would that even be? "==>", maybe?


Okay, that makes sense. I'm going to need results of my Knowledge check to proceed, though.
It bears some resemblance to the manifestation of a Gate spell, though spherical and orders of magnitude larger. You've never heard of any phenomenon resembling this, though.

Derjuin
2013-01-29, 02:49 AM
Apologies for being slow to respond, I've not been to the forums as often recently (with all my other games dying or stalling...) and I'm actually not used to games that update so often.

Lix Lorn
2013-01-29, 08:01 AM
Heh. Too bad there are five of you. What would that even be? "==>", maybe?
...
Excuse me, I'm busy having a revelation.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-29, 09:29 AM
BelGerath mentioned healing earlier, which reminds me. First, we have an eternal wand of rope trick, so we do get natural healing. Second, we have a healing belt. Finally, I can summon a unicorn with its healing SLAs. So I think we should all be back to full health.

Lateral
2013-01-29, 07:25 PM
BelGerath mentioned healing earlier, which reminds me. First, we have an eternal wand of rope trick, so we do get natural healing. Second, we have a healing belt. Finally, I can summon a unicorn with its healing SLAs. So I think we should all be back to full health.
Yeah. Given the fact that it's taken you somewhere around a week and a half to get where you are now, I'm inclined to agree.


...
Excuse me, I'm busy having a revelation.
What do you mean? The thing where the number of equals signs is the number of player pairs? I didn't notice until I went back and reread Hivebent a few months ago.


Apologies for being slow to respond, I've not been to the forums as often recently (with all my other games dying or stalling...) and I'm actually not used to games that update so often.


update so often.

HA

HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

honk.

Lix Lorn
2013-01-29, 07:31 PM
What do you mean? The thing where the number of equals signs is the number of player pairs? I didn't notice until I went back and reread Hivebent a few months ago.
Ha.


honk.
OH GOG NO

Derjuin
2013-01-29, 07:41 PM
HA

HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

honk.

You should see the other games...one post a week is considered "good". :smallfrown:

HONK HONK

Lateral
2013-01-29, 08:29 PM
Davkhur continues to climb down the crevasse, onto the ceiling, and down to where the wall becomes vertical again.
Wouldn't work. Just to be clear, the crack has widened up width-wise- it's basically a giant cavern now. On all sides. There's nowhere for you to climb down.

honk.

@V: Delicious.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-29, 09:18 PM
Wouldn't work. Just to be clear, the crack has widened up width-wise- it's basically a giant cavern now. On all sides. There's nowhere for you to climb down.

Oh. I'll edit the post when I'm on a real computer. Done.



honk.

:smallconfused: Has someone transmogrified you into a goose? And if so, can I set you up on a dinner date with my friend that metamorphosed into an orange? :smallamused:

Jeff the Green
2013-01-31, 06:15 PM
Hmmm. How close can I get to the orb just climbing?

GuyFawkes
2013-01-31, 11:08 PM
Based on what I imagine, you'd be going further away if you go along the walls. The closest would be the current location. Better to hitch a ride on Vivian or use your magics.

Lateral
2013-02-02, 01:08 AM
I'd really like to move the game forward this weekend. Do you have a way of flying down?

Jeff the Green
2013-02-02, 01:27 AM
Of course, a couple different ways. But he's a bit paranoid about magical traps, which is why I asked how close he could get to the orb without flight. If possible, he'll examine it with detect magic (a 60' radius cone) while hanging from the ceiling. Otherwise he'll use celestial aspect for flight and examine it.

Spellcraft to ID school (DC 15 + level): Take 10 = 26
Spellcraft to ID spell already in place (DC 20 + level): [roll0]

Since I don't want to spend the 2 minutes it would take to take 20 Searching for any traps that don't ping on detect magic, I'll take 10 for 22.

If he can examine it hanging from the ceiling, he'll just use his wand of gaseous form to get down there, assuming it's safe.

Lateral
2013-02-02, 10:43 AM
School is Conjuration. You identify it as no spell in particular. Detect magic does not reach, because it's thousands of feet below you. You can't search for traps, because it's thousands of feet below you. Celestial aspect doesn't last long enough to get you there, because it's thousands of feet below you.

Those last two spell/wand slots are unexpended. Davhkur can see that they wouldn't reach.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-02, 10:52 AM
Ah. You never specified how far away down it was. Postinged IC.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-02, 11:57 AM
So if Davkhur crashes (which he shouldn't), he takes [roll0] damage.

Lateral
2013-02-02, 12:18 PM
He doesn't. The fall gets you there within a few minutes, but the others won't get there until after your flight has expired. Well, unless they do the same. Do you use Gaseous Form, or will the rest of you fall as well?

Also, the orb isn't at the floor of the cavern, but rather in the center, so there'd have been plenty of time for you to pull out even if you had stalled. Same goes for the rest of you.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-02, 12:28 PM
A few minutes? So it's miles down. How big is it? Under RAW (which is silly) it would have been a DC 1000+ Spot check to notice it.

Edit: They'd better fall, since gaseous form has a pretty short duration.

Edit 2: What about traps/detect magic?

GuyFawkes
2013-02-02, 12:48 PM
I don't think I have a Spot Check that can beat DC 1 Bazzillion, and yet I can see the stars. Or maybe I do?

And guys, let's enjoy our flight down, shall we? Just for the heck of it. :smallwink:

Lateral
2013-02-03, 12:01 AM
A few minutes? So it's miles down. How big is it? Under RAW (which is silly) it would have been a DC 1000+ Spot check to notice it.

Big. Very, very, very big. The size of a small mountain, maybe, if mountains were spheres.

...Yeah, I'm going with ridiculously large scales here. Whoops.

So, assume that you are all choosing to fall? Given the fact that you have huge amounts of space within which you can pull out of a stall, I'm going to say that you shouldn't even bother with the Reflex saves.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-03, 12:04 AM
They could probably take 20 if they had to. I vote for skipping that and moving to us all clustered around the sphere.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-03, 02:28 PM
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Both regarding the color change.

Lateral
2013-02-03, 02:36 PM
It looks like a Gate spell opening up. Given that you've never seen or heard of this thing before, that's about as close as you're going to get.

Lateral
2013-02-08, 02:18 PM
Just a heads-up, guys. My computer is broken. I'll post IC if I can fix it before Monday. Also, I'll be ludicrously busy next week and in Rome the week after, so don't expect a post between Monday and the 23rd.

GuyFawkes
2013-02-08, 02:30 PM
Oooh. Rome. When in Rome, don't bother with PbP. :smallwink:

Jeff the Green
2013-02-08, 05:02 PM
Ooh, Rome! If you get the chance, there's a gelateria near the Trevi Fountain called San Crispino's. It is the best gelato you will ever have. Any of the favors are amazing, but you should at least try il gelato di San Crispino, the one with honey and arbutus.

Lix Lorn
2013-02-08, 06:36 PM
Just a heads-up, guys. My computer is broken. I'll post IC if I can fix it before Monday. Also, I'll be ludicrously busy next week and in Rome the week after, so don't expect a post between Monday and the 23rd.
Good luck and have fun!

Lateral
2013-02-09, 12:29 PM
Thanks, guys. Fortunately, my dad lent me his laptop, so I can update today.

Edit: Annnnd... go. This'll be a more puzzle/riddle-ish room.

Lateral
2013-02-12, 09:48 PM
Detect magic. Spellcraft to ID auras, as needed, is take 10 for 24. Knowledge (arcana) for whatever he might know about the situation is take 10 for 33.

Also, Davkhur has Mindsight 100'. What's the arrangement of the party, and are there any other minds around?

It displays qualities of Solid Fog, but it's too big, and it only displays faint Conjuration rather than moderate. You detect faint Transmutation and moderate Conjuration (Teleportation) on the cube, and moderate Evocation on the daggers which you ID as Flame Strikes. (Might want to handle those carefully.) The chains and the torches are nonmagical.

You guys are spaced in a pentagonal shape, with each person exactly 30 feet from their two nearest neighbors. Going clockwise from furthest north, the order is Ravana, Titania, Davhkur, Vivian, Oberon. You sense no other minds within range.

Lateral
2013-02-14, 07:16 AM
Ravana

"I see. Avoid the dagger, got it. So, what about these symbols written on the cube? Let's see..." Ravana bent down to inspect the symbols closer.

Arcana: [roll0]

Do you mean the symbols on the chains?

@V: Yeah, sorry. I just realized that it was unclear.

GuyFawkes
2013-02-14, 07:17 AM
Ah, were they on the chain? I thought they were on the glass cube thingy. Well, wherever they are, it is them. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 05:17 AM
:smallconfused: Did you post something and then delete it, Lateral?

Lateral
2013-02-19, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I accidentally posted part of the update I was writing, but it wasn't finished.

Hey, by the way. This hotel has wi-fi, but I can't really write the next update on this thing- it doesn't do fonts well, and the next update uses a lot of them.

By the way, are any of you good at ciphers or puzzles?

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 03:34 PM
I can generally figure out scramble and substitution ciphers on my own, and I know how to break a few others using a computer.

(Also, what do you mean "doesn't do fonts well"? What are you on? Depending on the problem, you might be able to make a Google Doc and share it.)

Lateral
2013-02-19, 03:40 PM
I can generally figure out scramble and substitution ciphers on my own, and I know how to break a few others using a computer.

(Also, what do you mean "doesn't do fonts well"? What are you on? Depending on the problem, you might be able to make a Google Doc and share it.)

No, it's just that the Kindle Fire is a pain to use the Internet on. It's impossible to actually get it to click on what you want, both selecting and dragging lines of text is next to impossible, and it tends to move the typing line to the wrong place whenever you try to move it. It's bad enough just writing a post, but with the number of fonts I'll need to use, it would quite literally take hours.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I will never understand why people insist that Kindles/iPads/Windows tablets are okay for light word processing. Hell, the PalmPilot I had back in middle school was better for it than those, because at least it had a stylus with a point smaller than a peanut M&M.

Anyway, no worries, just post when you're able, and have fun.

Lateral
2013-02-20, 02:29 PM
You know nothing I haven't already told you all. You don't see any traps except for on the daggers, but you have no way of opening the cube to get at them.

BelGareth
2013-02-20, 04:00 PM
ok, im slightly confuzzled by the configuration of these cubes, anyway for an image maybe?

Jeff the Green
2013-02-21, 04:18 AM
You know nothing I haven't already told you all. You don't see any traps except for on the daggers, but you have no way of opening the cube to get at them.

That's for BelGareth, and once you're able you'll post the symbols on the chains, right?


ok, im slightly confuzzled by the configuration of these cubes, anyway for an image maybe?

I think I could manage tomorrow, since Lateral's not on a computer that could handle it. How are the daggers arranged in the cube?

Also, I'm guessing the cube blocks line of effect, yeah?

Lateral
2013-02-21, 04:29 PM
I think I could manage tomorrow, since Lateral's not on a computer that could handle it. How are the daggers arranged in the cube?

Also, I'm guessing the cube blocks line of effect, yeah?

They're arranged in cardinal directions, and the cube blocks both line of effect and line of sight- it's translucent, but not transparent. Besides, fog.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-21, 04:57 PM
Are the knives pointed in or out?

Lateral
2013-02-22, 02:14 PM
Points in, hilts out.

And, by the way, I'm back now. Been on a plane for about ten hours. Will write that update sometime today or tomorrow. Bleargh.

Lateral
2013-02-24, 01:42 PM
The knives are unusually long, with clean edges that taper to a point. They are all highly decorated in brass and silver, and each has a different symbol carved into the center of the blade.








The torches are carved from dershanan, a valuable Brelish hardwood that has a reddish-orange colour and often displays quilted or fiddleback figure. Aside from the unusually ostentatious wood used, the torches are very plain; they are just cylindrical shafts of wood, with the tops wrapped in burning, pitch-soaked burlap. The stand for the top torch is made of bronze, and depicts four dragons, with their wings covering each other and their heads looking up towards the burning end of the torch. The bottom torch hangs down in a harness attached to the bottom of the cube by four ropes spliced together above the torch. The stripes on the cube are, as far as you can tell, intrinsic to the cube rather than painted on. The arrangement is thus:

http://www.magic-squares.net/Image_object/cube-prime.gif

Lines 05, 32, 61, and 74 are black. (Or 03, 52, 76, and 41- you could orient it either way, since they're floating in space and are pretty much fourfold-rotationally symmetrical.)
The chains are inscribed with symbols of all different colors:

언덕q위에높이가요들송누워히요들송이누워외로운염e소aty을역임요들송이후희다헻죠札패뱁 멮l형태

부가음을빌새讀긒김a을f향가c새려찰鄕구결이두sd吏비롯4한국어e문장전체를표기다고는해 hg

자借에ㅎ호字방법은의미부g오기때문에만들e었다a길에서e바람으g로부s터쌓았다바람ad으 로h부s

입구터id문에만da가요들들었다길에워히gf요d들서x바람으로부터쌓았다바람으로부터jo 입구요언

Finally, the fog itself is extremely thick and is pitch-black, so as to entirely obscure objects at all but short distances. The cloud stops abruptly at the edge of the cube, though.

Description in finished form. You may note that the number of symbols has been greatly reduced in this version. That's... pretty much just because trying to set it up the right way would have taken several hours, so I simplified the puzzle a little.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-24, 02:46 PM
Okay... when I get home I'll do some preliminary work on this.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-24, 11:35 PM
Are those Roman characters in whatever the alphabet is for Eberron common?

Edit: And am I right that there are more than 26 different characters, or is my find and replace being wonky?

Edit2: And I'm guessing none of us recognize the script. (I mean, I know it's Korean, but presumably there isn't a Korea in Eberron.) FWIW, Davkhur speaks Common, Illumian, Goblin, Giant, Infernal, and Sylvan

GuyFawkes
2013-02-25, 05:10 AM
Okay, a cipher of some sorts. Let's see what I can do to help with this.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-25, 05:15 AM
I already tried a couple things. First I tried replacing the various symbols with letters so I could do frequency analysis automatically. That was promising at first because there were a few doublets and triplets that came up repeatedly. But there are way too many singletons, and more than 26 characters, plus the Roman ones and the single Arabic numeral. Then I tried just using the colors, but that was a no-go as well. There are only five of them, and they're too evenly divided to be letters.

Hence my questions to Lateral. I'm not quite stumped, but the answers will help me decide how to move forward.

Lateral
2013-02-25, 07:09 AM
Are those Roman characters in whatever the alphabet is for Eberron common?

Edit: And am I right that there are more than 26 different characters, or is my find and replace being wonky?

Edit2: And I'm guessing none of us recognize the script. (I mean, I know it's Korean, but presumably there isn't a Korea in Eberron.) FWIW, Davkhur speaks Common, Illumian, Goblin, Giant, Infernal, and Sylvan
The Roman characters are common, yes. Common uses the Roman alphabet. Yes, there are more than 26 characters. No, you don't recognize the script- as far as you can tell, they're unintelligible symbols.


I already tried a couple things. First I tried replacing the various symbols with letters so I could do frequency analysis automatically. That was promising at first because there were a few doublets and triplets that came up repeatedly. But there are way too many singletons, and more than 26 characters, plus the Roman ones and the single Arabic numeral. Then I tried just using the colors, but that was a no-go as well. There are only five of them, and they're too evenly divided to be letters.

Hence my questions to Lateral. I'm not quite stumped, but the answers will help me decide how to move forward.

Six colors, actually. Look a little closer.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-25, 07:12 AM
Six colors, actually. Look a little closer.

Actually, that was a matter of me thinking "F" was the fifth letter in the alphabet. :smallsigh:

Jeff the Green
2013-02-27, 10:14 PM
Okay, I'm a little stuck. It's not any cipher I'm familiar with. Any ideas, guys?

BelGareth
2013-02-27, 10:46 PM
Okay, I'm a little stuck. It's not any cipher I'm familiar with. Any ideas, guys?

I'm terrible at this kind of thing, but I'll take a crack at it tonight at work.

At DM:
Can we make in character int checks or something similar for hints?

Lateral
2013-02-27, 11:04 PM
I'm terrible at this kind of thing, but I'll take a crack at it tonight at work.

At DM:
Can we make in character int checks or something similar for hints?

Yes, you can.

GuyFawkes
2013-02-27, 11:32 PM
Okay, I'm trying to do something, but wow this is hard when you don't know where to start. :smallbiggrin:

@DM, these characters, 도차, for some reason, do not have colors. Was this missed or intentional?

BTW, looking into it, they are not all hangul and roman letters, there are some kanji/chinese characters mixed in there somewhere. Don't know if it makes it easier or more complicated. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2013-02-28, 07:12 AM
@DM, these characters, 도차, for some reason, do not have colors. Was this missed or intentional?

Missed.

BelGareth
2013-02-28, 07:40 AM
Some checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Sorry if i double posted k rolls, forgot I already tried those.

BelGareth
2013-02-28, 08:19 AM
For every ones perusal

1st line organized by color:

e















q
t






y















a
l










2nd line sorted by color

d















a
g




f




4
e
s






c
h









2 characters less



3rd line sorted by color

d















a
g




f




4
e
s






c
h









same amount as first



4th line sorted by color

d




a
d
d
o







g









f
i
j
x





















And all together

{table=head]1st|2nd|3rd|4th
e|d|d|d
다|가|가|람
언|부|부|서
요|을|을|언
워|장|장|워
을|해|해|a
이|결|결|d
패|긒|긒|d
가|기|기|o
누|는|는|들
덕|려|려|로
멮|문|문|로
소|빌|빌|바
송|吏|吏|쌓
이|한|한|에
임|향|향|입
q|a|a|g
t|g|g|들
뱁|가|가|부
송|롯|롯|았
외|전|전|터
요|찰|찰|다
이|f|f|문
헻|국|국|바
y|음|음|요
누|이|이|요
염|체|체|f
위|4|4|i
형|e|e|j
희|s|s|x
히|고|고|구
札|구|구|길
높|새|새|만
들|을|을|요
들|표|표|으
송|讀|讀|으
역|c|c|터
운|h|h|가
죠|김|김|구
태|다|다|다
a|두|두|들
l|를|를|람
들|비|비|부
로|새|새|었
에|어|어|에
요|鄕|鄕|입
워|||터
후|||히
[/table]


I bolded the table to better show the letters.
Some interesting patterns emerge, if not whole words...

I'll take a look at a analysing it later...hands hurt from copypasta....

GuyFawkes
2013-02-28, 10:59 AM
And I was going to do it on paper. Lol good thing you posted that and I saw it. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2013-02-28, 12:22 PM
For every ones perusal

I hadn't thought of separating by color. I'll see what I can do with those lists. If we get stuck, somebody post in-character, and then Davkhur will rest for eight hours and prepare spells to help out.

Lateral
2013-03-06, 10:38 PM
Yes, he reads (bad) romance novels for rest instead of sleeping. It's certainly not a "fairly demanding physical or mental task."

Assuming everyone got the same symbols (not a big assumption, I think), Davkhur casts comprehend languages, then touches the chains to read them.

Your translation:

High above the hills q lonely clusters lying wohi yodel yodel, press e cow salt served at y, yodel after huida het's mep l form paebaep short note

Added that bilsae read geup Kim a new ryeochal c f HyangGa Xiang nine-grain two sd minor official entire sentence including 4 Korean e notation dagoneun to hg

I No. word party borrow How to Import g silver tail in the door when e had to make a road from e to g robu s wind from ad to built the wind h Department s

Id statements only from the entrance da Are heard road surrounded Hebrews gf x d deulseo the wind built from part of the wind from jo entrance yoeon

Jeff the Green
2013-03-06, 11:48 PM
That is... less than helpful. Also not what I got just sticking it in Google translate with each character as its own word, so something to keep in mind.

Well.. let's move on to random checks.

Intelligence (general to figure out the code): [roll0]
Casting lore of the gods.
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
Knowledge (religion): [roll2]
Knowledge (dungeoneering): [roll3]
Intelligence (to figure out which, of all the Knowledges, would be best to use to figure this out): [roll4]

Lateral
2013-03-07, 12:04 AM
That is... less than helpful. Also not what I got just sticking it in Google translate with each character as its own word, so something to keep in mind.

Well.. let's move on to random checks.

Intelligence (general to figure out the code): [roll0]
Casting lore of the gods.
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
Knowledge (religion): [roll2]
Knowledge (dungeoneering): [roll3]
Intelligence (to figure out which, of all the Knowledges, would be best to use to figure this out): [roll4]

Hmm... it'd probably go under Arcana, even though it's nonmagical. With that result, I can pull your attention to a few things:

It's a variation on a classic cipher. Very classic. Pre-industrial, even.
The six colours of text on the chains match the six colors on the blades, and the symbols are Korean, like most of the chain text.
The colours on the chains go in a repeating order: Dark Slate Blue, Dark Green, Dark Slate Grey, Dark Red, Light Pink, Light Blue. Same order as the knife text.

Some of that may be helpful. All of those are relevant in some way.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-07, 12:16 AM
[LIST] The colours on the chains go in a repeating order: Dark Slate Blue, Dark Green, Dark Slate Grey, Dark Red, Light Pink, Light Blue. Same order as the knife text.

Wait, what? It doesn't look like it in the text you gave.

Lateral
2013-03-07, 06:32 AM
Wait, what? It doesn't look like it in the text you gave.

...That's because it's not true. Never mind, ignore that, I derped.

GuyFawkes
2013-03-07, 11:59 AM
Ah ha! So that's it guys! We arrange it in that order. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2013-03-08, 08:40 AM
So I've tried a few more things. Putting them in the supposed order by color then extracting the Roman characters. That revealed zip. Just putting it in order. Also zip.

A few more Knowledge (arcana):

Is the fact that it's Korean as opposed to Klatchian or whatever relevant? [roll0]
Which characters aren't Korean? [roll1]
What's up with that single "4"? [roll2]

Lateral
2013-03-08, 10:57 PM
So I've tried a few more things. Putting them in the supposed order by color then extracting the Roman characters. That revealed zip. Just putting it in order. Also zip.

A few more Knowledge (arcana):

Is the fact that it's Korean as opposed to Klatchian or whatever relevant? [roll0]
Which characters aren't Korean? [roll1]
What's up with that single "4"? [roll2]



Not especially.
札 讀 鄕 吏 借 字, plus all of the Roman letters and the 4.
Absolutely nothing.


Oh, and when I said that the colors go in order? That was a mistake on my part, but what I was misremembering was that, in fact, the colors go in two separate cycles of green, dark blue, gray and red, pink, light blue. To explain further, what I mean is:

If a character is, say, green, then the next character that is not red/pink/light blue must be dark blue.
If a character is, say, red, then the next character that is not green/dark blue/gray will be pink.

Et cetera.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-10, 09:13 AM
Oh, and when I said that the colors go in order? That was a mistake on my part, but what I was misremembering was that, in fact, the colors go in two separate cycles of green, dark blue, gray and red, pink, light blue. To explain further, what I mean is:

If a character is, say, green, then the next character that is not red/pink/light blue must be dark blue.
If a character is, say, red, then the next character that is not green/dark blue/gray will be pink.

Et cetera.

Okay, that gives me an idea. It could be something like DNA (which would be way older than the industrial revolution) and it's doublets or triplets that matter. I was up all night nursing a migraine, though, so I'll work on it when I wake up.

I stayed awake until 7 AM and it's still dark out. Stupid frickin' 45th parallel and DST. :smallannoyed:

Jeff the Green
2013-03-11, 10:42 AM
Damn, codons didn't work. More knowledge:

How old: [roll0]
Are the characters essential to the code? [roll1]
Do multiple characters stand for a single letter? [roll2]

Lateral
2013-03-11, 07:37 PM
Ooh, two natural ones. Nasty.


We're talking post-Roman, pre-industrial. Your 24 won't buy you much more than that, but there aren't that many Medieval/Renaissance/Enlightenment ciphers.
Don't you wish I would tell you that.
Yes, I suppose.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-11, 08:13 PM
Okay, another idea. The third question can be interpreted two ways. First that groups of characters code for a single letter (e.g. AMG = A, GMA = B, etc.) like DNA. The other is that a single letter can be coded for by one of a number of characters, like the nomenclator cipher. Which one were you answering yes to?

Lateral
2013-03-11, 08:14 PM
Okay, another idea. The third question can be interpreted two ways. First that groups of characters code for a single letter (e.g. AMG = A, GMA = B, etc.) like DNA. The other is that a single letter can be coded for by one of a number of characters, like the nomenclator cipher. Which one were you answering yes to?

Umm... both, sort of. Mostly the first.

BelGareth
2013-03-12, 02:21 PM
So, I have to say, I suck at things like these, that is why I have not been doing anything, I honestly have no clue....

Lateral
2013-03-12, 04:38 PM
Yeah, speaking of which. Are the rest of you guys still here?

...Oh, crap, that's right, Titania just flew up into the clouds.

Lix Lorn
2013-03-13, 06:58 AM
I'm still here. Vivian is probably curling up in the centre and looking paranoidly out at the edge.

This is the first non-good character I've genuinely enjoyed playing. She's just kind of a jerk!

Jeff the Green
2013-03-13, 11:04 PM
Ugh, I'm really stuck, and I don't even know what questions to ask. I'm going to do a little crowdsourcing and put it up in the Friendly Banter Board if that's alright.

GuyFawkes
2013-03-14, 01:36 AM
Damn. I've tried what little I know of ciphers. And I came up with nothing either. And my arcana checks are just about half of jeff's, so nothing I can get what he doesn't have already I guess.

Lateral
2013-03-15, 02:07 PM
What's your CL for the dispel check?

Ravana: They're making noises around you, in all different places. Where, exactly, are you jumping to?

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 06:08 PM
Seven. yeedledeedle

Lateral
2013-03-15, 07:24 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 08:55 PM
Ugh. As you can see from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276080), the rest of the playground is stumped too. I'm thinking we're going to have to just spend the week* needed to make the Decipher Script check to figure it out. With guidance of the avatar, divine insight, and taking 10, that's a result of 48.

*Since Davkhur doesn't need to sleep, that might be cut in third.

GuyFawkes
2013-03-15, 10:18 PM
What's your CL for the dispel check?

Ravana: They're making noises around you, in all different places. Where, exactly, are you jumping to?

Any one. I'm gonna go with random. 1 for Oberon, 2 for Vivian, 3 for Titania.

[roll0]

BelGareth
2013-03-15, 10:54 PM
wait....

are we each in a box with 6 daggers pointing towards each plane of the box or are we all in the same box?

Like this?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OVr_YEmeQTA/UUPs7CEOUII/AAAAAAAAC0E/IDxkP2RGjoA/s640/Gold%2520and%2520glory.jpg

I'm so damned confused....

Lateral
2013-03-15, 11:15 PM
Okay, I'm going to be as clear as I can here.

There are six 5-foot cubes. The cubes are transparent. There are six daggers floating inside each cube. You guys are each standing on top of one cube. There is no fog in a ten-foot-high, five-foot-on-side square column above each box, but everywhere else is full of it. There are four chains on each box. The chains hold the boxes up from above- you cannot see where they come from, but they hang down to each top corner of the box.

BelGareth
2013-03-15, 11:47 PM
Okay, I'm going to be as clear as I can here.

There are six 5-foot cubes. The cubes are transparent. There are six daggers floating inside each cube. You guys are each standing on top of one cube. There is no fog in a ten-foot-high, five-foot-on-side square column above each box, but everywhere else is full of it. There are four chains on each box. The chains hold the boxes up from above- you cannot see where they come from, but they hang down to each top corner of the box.

Ok, thats perfect.

Lateral
2013-03-16, 12:06 AM
I've posted a clue, and an apology, on your thread.


Look, I screwed up with this whole thing. I realize that now, but just trying to handwave it away at this point would be pretty much the worst thing I could possibly do.

...So I'm going to say this. Kalirren's 2nd response is on the right track, but 4 is a red herring. The translated meaning of the given symbols are a clue, but they aren't critical, and you're looking at the wrong ones. Hope that helps enough, and sorry about this whole mess- I assumed that this would be easier than it was because I was starting from the solution.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 08:59 AM
Got it!


-Combining symbols 1-3 gives the word "Bacon". So, the translation in that case is "Bacon's password" or "Bacon of the Cancer Arc".

You've got it! It's Bacon's Cipher! Split the code into groups of five:

01001 10111 01100 11000 01100 11000 11011 11000 10001 10100 00111 11010 10111 01110 11011 01101 11000 11111 10100 10100 01100 11000 11011 10100 10111 11001 11000 01100 11110 11011 01110 11011 01010 11011 11111 10100 11011 11100

And then 1 as A and 0 as B turns it into

WI T H T H E H O L Y F I R E S H A L L T H E L I G H T B E R E V E A L E D
or

With the holy fire shall the light be revealed.

Now we just have to figure out what to do.

Thank you everybody!

Now, the question is how do I solve it IC? Davkhur doesn't speak Korean and you have to touch an object to read it with comprehend languages...

Lateral
2013-03-16, 08:07 PM
Look, I'd like to move past this whole shebang, so let's do this quick and dirty. Make an INT check. If it's above 20, Davhkur figures out the answer. If not, just have him realize that the daggers are the key, then have him read the daggers' translation- for game purposes, let's say that Bacon's Cipher is called "The Unwritten Word," and that it was invented by the Daughters of Sora Kell.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 08:08 PM
Sounds good: [roll0]

Lateral
2013-03-16, 08:32 PM
All right, go ahead. Have Davhkur use that titanic possibly-rotting brain of his and figure out the answer. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 10:33 PM
Hey, he's not actually dead. His dad just did a sucky job of bringing him back from Dolurrh.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-18, 12:32 AM
Wanted to let you guys know that I'll be packing tomorrow and traveling much of Tuesday, so depending on time and whether I have service in the mountains (doubtful) I probably won't be able to post until Tuesday night or Wednesday.

I expect to have a solution to this puzzle by the time I return. :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-03-24, 11:05 AM
Hmm.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Where are you all standing/flying, exactly?

Jeff the Green
2013-03-25, 01:01 PM
I think we're all in our original spots, except Ravanna's on my cube, Oberon's up above his, and Titania's above hers.

GuyFawkes
2013-03-26, 01:03 PM
I think we're all in our original spots, except Ravanna's on my cube, Oberon's up above his, and Titania's above hers.

Second this.

Lateral
2013-03-26, 02:41 PM
By the way, you guys should all be 2240 XP above 8th, except for Davhkur who should be 2940 XP above 7th. I'm not sure I ever actually gave you the XP from that, so if not, do it now.

Also: loot.

Lateral
2013-03-26, 03:09 PM
It's not locked, and you find no traps.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-27, 02:41 AM
How big is the room, what's it like, and is there a floor?

Lateral
2013-03-27, 06:16 AM
About 120 feet from wall to wall and 30 feet up, it's empty except for the things I've already described, and the floor is about 30 feet below you.

Lateral
2013-03-29, 10:57 PM
There's a spell on the hourglass. Transmutation, faint. Aside from that, you see nothing.

Also, for clarity: when you say 'walls,' are you referring to the hourglass or the actual walls of the room?

GuyFawkes
2013-03-30, 02:03 PM
Rerolling botched Spot roll:

[roll0]

Jeff the Green
2013-03-30, 02:09 PM
There's a spell on the hourglass. Transmutation, faint. Aside from that, you see nothing.

Also, for clarity: when you say 'walls,' are you referring to the hourglass or the actual walls of the room?

A 30 should get me the exact spell, if it's identifiable.

Room, which GuyFawkes gathered.

Lateral
2013-03-30, 02:19 PM
It's not identifiable. And there are more plates behind the broken plate; these are less rusty on the front, but the edges are similar.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-01, 02:07 AM
I've got an idea, but I need to make sure two of my interpretations are correct. First, if Oberron were to cast something like scorching ray or a fire orb, would it melt the glass rather than shatter it? And if the sand were to become drenched, the adhesion and cohesion should stop the trickle of sand, yeah?

Lateral
2013-04-01, 05:55 AM
I've got an idea, but I need to make sure two of my interpretations are correct. First, if Oberron were to cast something like scorching ray or a fire orb, would it melt the glass rather than shatter it? And if the sand were to become drenched, the adhesion and cohesion should stop the trickle of sand, yeah?

Mmm... yes, but the glass is quite thick.

...But you still haven't actually checked for traps. (Hint, hint.)

Jeff the Green
2013-04-01, 01:58 PM
Okay, let's Search. Divide the room into three. Davkhur, Ravanna, and Oberon each take one third. Titania and Vivian Aid Ravanna and Davkhur. No time to take 20, so take 10 for 28, 22 (24), and 22 (24). That should get it done in 24 seconds.

BelGareth
2013-04-01, 02:29 PM
Okay, let's Search. Divide the room into three. Davkhur, Ravanna, and Oberon each take one third. Titania and Vivian Aid Ravanna and Davkhur. No time to take 20, so take 10 for 28, 22 (24), and 22 (24). That should get it done in 24 seconds.

Sounds good to me.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-01, 11:01 PM
Yep, that looks good.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-01, 11:28 PM
I forgot about that... If not, then probably split his area up between Davkhur and Oberron. It'll take a couple extra rounds, but that's not much.

Lateral
2013-04-01, 11:36 PM
Behind one of the panels on one part of the wall, you notice a small piece of un-rusted metal peeking through. Upon closer examination, it appears to be a large gear, and is attached to a rod in a cavity behind the wall of plates.

In addition, between many of the plates, you can see small round tubes poking out. The tubes at the location of Ravanna's actions contain traces of acid; however, looking further down the tubes, you can see much larger basins of acid at the other ends.

...Also, you don't find an exit. Just saying.

Oh, and the sand is about a quarter of the way down at this point.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-01, 11:58 PM
Well crap.

Would Vivan's gift of frost freeze water it came in contact with?

Lix Lorn
2013-04-02, 01:39 PM
Well crap.

Would Vivan's gift of frost freeze water it came in contact with?
It doesn't specifically say it should, but it's a bolt of cold, so fluffwise, yes.

Lateral
2013-04-02, 02:04 PM
...Yeah, I suppose.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-03, 12:39 AM
Uhm, what was Ravana supposed to look for again? :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2013-04-04, 01:06 PM
Whether there are tubes up there or not.

BelGareth
2013-04-04, 01:44 PM
Idea:

Oberon casts Empowered Protection from Acid on Ravana.

Ravana smashes through a wall.

If it doesn't work, it will still be freaking awesome.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-04, 01:45 PM
Actually, we could probably just rope trick our way out of this. Still, I'm pretty sure Davkhur's plan will hold us for a while.

Lateral
2013-04-04, 03:30 PM
There are, in fact, holes on the ceiling. (And I'd be careful before touching them, if I were you.)

@V: I just assumed that you were taking 10 for that. They're not hidden or anything, and at this point you know what to look for.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-05, 02:24 PM
Oh, right. Tubes. :smallbiggrin:

Search: [roll0]

Jeff the Green
2013-04-05, 10:34 PM
GuyFawkes, in case you missed it, Lateral edited his post to answer you.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-05, 11:06 PM
Ahh. Well holes and tubes, didn't get it right away. :smalltongue:

BelGareth
2013-04-06, 09:15 AM
@everyone: I will be on vacation for 10 days on the 8th-18th. Posting will be nonexistent during that time.

DM, please NPC me as necessary.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-07, 10:46 PM
Is Ravanna going to tell Davkhur about the tubes?

GuyFawkes
2013-04-07, 11:13 PM
Ah, sorry. Yes, I thought it was given he would so I didn't bother to post, but I'll do it now.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-08, 02:55 PM
Taking 10 nets me both Knowledge checks.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the mechanism. (My spatial reasoning skills are slightly worse than my cat's, and she has a tendency to leap into closed doors.) Is there a way you could be more explicit about it? If you lived nearby I'd loan you my Legos to build a model...

Lateral
2013-04-08, 03:32 PM
There is a pole fixed to the ground. The mechanism above is designed to cause the pole to spin. Ergo, the mechanism makes the floor turn.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-08, 03:48 PM
And that pole is behind the wall?

Lateral
2013-04-08, 04:15 PM
Exactly.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 03:13 AM
FYI, we need you to do something with Oberron, Lateral. He's the only one who can do anything with acid and BelGareth is absent.

Lateral
2013-04-10, 06:03 AM
I know. No time. This afternoon.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 08:12 PM
Does Davkhur have any time left on his spider walk? It would have lasted 70 minutes.

Lateral
2013-04-10, 08:21 PM
Yes, I believe so.

Lateral
2013-04-10, 09:17 PM
Uf, two nat 20's. At least the second doesn't count, and at least they're just daggers. Crit confirm:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Your save was enough for half, so that's 18 acid damage plus 37 from the fall and spikes, unless you can mitigate those.

@V: Ooh, lucky. It's a wind effect, though, so you're still affected- it affects objects. And the DC was 18 for both saves. That brings you to 48 damage.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 09:18 PM
What's the DC? And Davkhur's immune to anything requiring a Fort save.

Edit:
Also immune to crits, mercifully enough.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 09:55 PM
Oh, yeah. Davkhur had just moved so gets a 20% miss chance on all attacks. Low misses: [roll0] [roll1].

Don't know if it counts for traps, but it doesn't hurt to check. :smalltongue: Irrelevant anyway.

Edit: Also, what's the initiative?

Edit 2: I just thought of something. Davkhur has mindsight 100'; he should have had advanced warning.

Lateral
2013-04-10, 09:58 PM
Hmm, you're right. Well, it's a bit late to do anything about that now, sorry.

And:

Your initiative: [roll0]
Their initiative: [roll1]

Also, [roll2]

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 10:02 PM
Oh well. How high up are the sharks? How wide is the chamber I fell into? I'm guessing it's 60 feet tall based on the damage.

Lateral
2013-04-10, 10:08 PM
Sixty feet tall, fifty-foot diameter cylinder. Two of them are along where the wall and the ceiling meet, one is down near the bottom in the middle (about ten feet from your current skewered position), one is to the right and down halfway, and the one that blasted you is right near the hole.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 10:35 PM
I have to summon onto a surface that can support the creature. Does a shark count as a surface? :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-04-10, 10:36 PM
I have to summon onto a surface that can support the creature. Does a shark count as a surface? :smalltongue:

Hmm. I really should say 'no,' shouldn't I...

...Yes. Yes, it does. Go nuts.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-10, 10:49 PM
Actually, I may need to wait for the map before I summon. Stupid "Close" range.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-10, 11:01 PM
Uhm, the rest of us can take part in the fun too, right?

Lateral
2013-04-10, 11:04 PM
Well, yeah.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-10, 11:09 PM
Awesome! Let's get it on boys and girls!

Jeff the Green
2013-04-13, 09:37 PM
Do we have a map coming up? I wanna summon me some mutha****ing lions on top of flying sharks!

Lateral
2013-04-13, 09:45 PM
CRAP! i

Lateral
2013-04-13, 11:20 PM
Okay, map up.

Lateral
2013-04-13, 11:57 PM
You can only affect the lowest three. The second highest and the lowest are too far apart. Also, roll for duration.

And it takes place when you use that second standard action.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-13, 11:58 PM
Forgot about the "no two further than 25 feet apart" part. Oh well. [roll0] rounds.

Lateral
2013-04-14, 04:30 PM
Lix, Derj. Are you guys here? We're actually getting into combat.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-14, 06:50 PM
It might be best to aim for the higher sharks. The bottom three are almost certainly blinded, and with another round I can summon 1d3 lions on top of their backs.

Lateral
2013-04-14, 07:00 PM
Derj, what exactly are you doing?

Derjuin
2013-04-14, 07:43 PM
Derj, what exactly are you doing?

I moved over the hole, and am checking to find out if I can actually see them, but because I forgot I have Darkvision 60' I guess it doesn't actually matter :smalltongue:.

:durkon::clicksonDarkvision:

...I also forgot to include activating the wand of hunter's mercy in the wand chamber of my bow. Uno momento.

Sorry, I typed my earlier response in a hurry.

Lateral
2013-04-15, 06:33 PM
...I'm going to be reeeeally nice and let Ravana go first, so his morningstar doesn't dispel Net of Shadows.

Also, there's a lot of stuff going on. This might take a couple of posts.

[roll0] vs. 55 (Oberon- Scorching Ray)
[roll1] vs. 30 (Oberon- Scorching Ray)
[roll2] vs. 55 (Oberon- Scorching Ray)
[roll3] vs. 30 (Oberon- Scorching Ray)
_____________________

[roll4] <-- Crushing Despair (55)
[roll5] <-- Crushing Despair (40)
[roll6] <-- Crushing Despair (30)
[roll7] <-- Crushing Despair (20)
[roll8] <-- Crushing Despair (10)

[roll9] <-- Net of Shadows (30) (-2 if fails Crushing Despair)
[roll10] <-- Net of Shadows (20) (-2 if fails Crushing Despair)
[roll11] <-- Net of Shadows (10) (-2 if fails Crushing Despair)

[roll12] <-- Saving Throw (Ravana) vs. Acid Breath of 30ft. (1/2)(add +2 if Good Hope from Morningstar affects him- I don't think it does, though. Please tell me whether it does or not.)
[roll13] <-- Saving Throw (Ravana) vs. Wind Effect of 30ft. (or be blown back [roll14]x10 feet)
[roll15] <-- Saving Throw (Vivian) vs. Acid Breath of 30ft. (1/2)
[roll16] <-- Saving Throw (Vivian) vs. Wind Effect of 30ft. ([roll17]x10)
[roll18] <-- Saving Throw (Oberon) vs. Acid Breath of 30ft. (Negates)
[roll19] <-- Saving Throw (Oberon) vs. Wind Effect of 30ft. ([roll20]x10, [roll21] nonlethal)

[roll22]
It's a corpse!

Lateral
2013-04-15, 06:35 PM
...Whoa. Crit confirm: [roll0]
Crit damage: [roll1]

That's... that's a dead fish. That's a very, very dead fish.

Lateral
2013-04-15, 07:00 PM
[roll0] <-- Bite Attack (10 vs. Davhkur) Edit: Oof, a critical threat. Again. Lucky you're immune.
[roll1] (low miss)

[roll2] <-- Saving Throw (Ravana) vs. Acid Breath of 20ft. (1/2)(add +2 if Good Hope from Morningstar affects him- I don't think it does, though. Please tell me whether it does or not.)
[roll3] <-- Saving Throw (Ravana) vs. Wind Effect of 20ft. (or be blown back [roll4]x10 feet)
[roll5] <-- Saving Throw (Oberon) vs. Acid Breath of 20ft. (Negates)
[roll6] <-- Saving Throw (Oberon) vs. Wind Effect of 30ft. ([roll7]x10, [roll8] nonlethal)
[roll9]

[roll10] <-- Bite Attack (40 vs. Lix)

[roll11] <-- Charging Bite Attack (55 vs. Ravana)

Lateral
2013-04-15, 08:02 PM
Oh! Invisibility miss chance!

[roll0] (low miss)

Lix Lorn
2013-04-15, 08:16 PM
I forget, had we been healed up before now?

Lateral
2013-04-15, 08:26 PM
Given that you've gone days without combat, I'd assume yes.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-15, 08:36 PM
Actually, Davkhur's invisibility only lasts until the end of his turn. He'll use stay the hand on that bite attack. Will DC 19 [roll0] No, wait, he's got net of shadows so it has the same miss chance as invisibility.

Edit: Also, it's hard to tell who's been hit, etc. while everyone's running around. Could you name the sharks? I suggest Shirley, Edmund, George, and Rapunzel. S1, S2, S3, and S4 would work too.

Lateral
2013-04-15, 08:47 PM
Oh. Well, that works.

Mmm... I'm going to go "Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde." Have a new one up in a sec.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-15, 09:04 PM
Note, I forgot that Pinky had the miss chance from net of shadows so I don't need to blow that shot. Never mind, I'm an idiot.

So did I take damage? I'm confused. And which are blinded, which are damaged?

Lateral
2013-04-15, 09:18 PM
No, stay the hand worked. Inky and Pinky are blinded, Blinky is damaged. In addition, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde are Crushing Despair'd, and... mmm... Geromy is dead.

Lix Lorn
2013-04-15, 09:48 PM
Geromy is dead.
I warned you about pcs bro
I told you dawg

Lateral
2013-04-15, 09:51 PM
I warned you about pcs bro
I told you dawg

In my dream I am the flying, acid-breathing death shark?

Lix Lorn
2013-04-15, 10:02 PM
Vivian: caw caw motherhugger

GuyFawkes
2013-04-16, 12:08 AM
Good Hope affects Ravana as well, so that puts his Ref at 19. What's the DC for the breath? Also, for DR purposes, is the shark's bite magical?

Jeff the Green
2013-04-16, 06:34 AM
So not lions, since there's only one shark in range after the grapple. One medium storm elemental it is.

Lateral
2013-04-16, 11:24 AM
Good Hope affects Ravana as well, so that puts his Ref at 19. What's the DC for the breath? Also, for DR purposes, is the shark's bite magical?

18, so take [roll0] damage. No, it's not.

Also, the touch attack missed. Grapple fails.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-16, 11:44 AM
And I imagine my second attack fails as well. Friggin 1s. Good news, we get lions, right? :smallbiggrin:

All in all I get 18 damage from the breath plus 20-8= 12, so that's 30 damage. Ouch.

Lateral
2013-04-16, 12:03 PM
Hey, don't complain. Before you shut down the hourglass, the encounter was supposed to involve acid showers. :smallamused:

GuyFawkes
2013-04-16, 01:10 PM
What? Aren't we all getting said shower now? And with 5 sets of 50 rows of teeth as bonus. :smallcool:

Jeff the Green
2013-04-16, 01:41 PM
If the shark bites me, there's very little chance I can hold the spell.

Lateral
2013-04-22, 02:29 PM
Look, I can't remind you guys to post every round. Lix, Derj, you guys are online all the time, so I shouldn't have to. Subscribe to the thread or something, it's what I do.

BelGareth, you back?

GuyFawkes
2013-04-29, 03:13 AM
Well, that was a long one. So, where were we?

Lateral
2013-04-29, 06:02 PM
Heads-up: I'm busy this week. Really busy. I'll do the next round when I can, but it might be a while.

GuyFawkes
2013-04-29, 11:59 PM
No prob. Thanks for the heads up.

Lateral
2013-05-01, 03:18 PM
I might have time to do a real post tonight. Belgareth, we're also waiting on you.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-01, 03:28 PM
He hasn't returned yet in our other games, so I'm assuming go for controlling Oberon atm.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-05, 11:18 AM
Well, if he doesn't come back we can take turns controlling him, and then kill him off. We probably have enough damage potential.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-05, 12:23 PM
He'll be back. Just not sure when. In that note, if the DM sees the extended absence not to his liking, then it's his prerogative to do with the PC as he sees fit.

Lateral
2013-05-07, 08:33 PM
[roll0] (Clyde's AoO against Vivian)
[roll1] (damage)

Derj, can you specify which attacks are directed at which flying shark?

Derjuin
2013-05-08, 05:04 PM
Apologies; the first 2 are against Pink shark (20) and the last 3 are against Yellow shark (30).

Lateral
2013-05-08, 07:24 PM
Okay. We'll say that you're right in the hole, so 60 feet high.

Also, Davhkur: You can't step under Ravanna. You can step under Vivian. She's blue, Ravanna's grey.

...Hmm. From the positions they're in, Blinky couldn't've actually attacked Ravana. Never mind, Ravanna, you only take the 18 from the breath.

[roll0] (Vivian's reflex save vs. Clyde-breath)
[roll1] (Vivian's fort save vs. Clyde-breath)
If failed, [roll2]x10 feet.

[roll3] (Oberon's reflex save vs. Clyde-breath)
[roll4] (Oberon's fort save vs. Clyde-breath)
If failed, [roll5]x10 feet and take [roll6] nonlethal.

[roll7] (Ravana's reflex save vs. Clyde-breath)
[roll8] (Ravana's fort save vs. Clyde-breath)
If failed, [roll9]x10 feet.

Edit: Okay, so Vivian and Ravana take 3d8 damage.

[roll10]

[roll11] (AoO against Davhkur by Inky)
[roll12] (damage)

That won't affect your spell.

...But this will.
[roll13] (Bite vs. Davhkur by Inky)
[roll14] (damage)
[roll15] (miss chance; 1-20 miss)
[roll16] (Concentration check to avoid spell loss)

[roll17] (Claw vs. Davhkur by Inky)
[roll18] (damage)
[roll19] (miss chance; 1-20 miss)
[roll20] (Concentration check to avoid spell loss)

[roll21] (Claw vs. Davhkur by Inky)
[roll22] (damage)
[roll23] (miss chance; 1-20 miss)
[roll24] (Concentration check to avoid spell loss)

Edit: Wow, you get to keep the spell.

Annnd:

[roll25] (Bite vs. Titania by Blinky)
[roll26] (damage)

Edit: Negated by Daze.

Lateral
2013-05-08, 07:35 PM
Oh, yeah, Oberon!

[roll0] (touch- Orb of Fire vs. Blinky)
[roll1]
[roll2] (Fort vs. daze)

That should do it. Please remind me if I've forgotten anything.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-08, 11:12 PM
So the 16 from Ravana is a miss?

Lateral
2013-05-08, 11:31 PM
Crappy luck, huh?

GuyFawkes
2013-05-09, 12:39 AM
Not really. Just another day with me and this forum's dice roller. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2013-05-09, 08:02 PM
Lix, I'm gonna need you to be a bit more specific. Which attacks are aimed at which sharks?

Lix Lorn
2013-05-09, 08:13 PM
Both at the one who just hurt me.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-10, 08:39 AM
No map yet? Are any two sharks within 15 feet of each other?

Lateral
2013-05-10, 02:10 PM
Up in a bit. Just out of school. Typing from Kindle.

Lateral
2013-05-10, 03:53 PM
Map's up.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-10, 03:57 PM
Hmmm. I'll need to make a LEGO model to be certain, but I think how I described everything will still work.

No, this is not just an excuse to go steal my LEGOs back from my dad.

Lateral
2013-05-11, 05:35 PM
Ah... guys? I should probably mention this. After Davhkur's elementals attack, Blinky and Clyde are dead. They both go below 0 even if they make all saves, and the fall will almost certainly kill them. I'm not rolling for any of it yet, but since that's going to happen before anyone else actually does anything, that would influence whom your characters would actually attack.

Derjuin
2013-05-11, 05:47 PM
Ah... guys? I should probably mention this. After Davhkur's elementals attack, Blinky and Clyde are dead. They both go below 0 even if they make all saves, and the fall will almost certainly kill them. I'm not rolling for any of it yet, but since that's going to happen before anyone else actually does anything, that would influence whom your characters would actually attack.

Oooh. I'm slightly confused, which ones were Blinky and Clyde again? I looked back through the thread and for some reason my brain isn't matching names to colors anymore...:smallsigh:

Jeff the Green
2013-05-11, 05:50 PM
Oooh. I'm slightly confused, which ones were Blinky and Clyde again? I looked back through the thread and for some reason my brain isn't matching names to colors anymore...:smallsigh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Pacman_title_na.png/200px-Pacman_title_na.png

Wonka wonka wonka wonka wheeeew.

Edit:

Oh, and if Blinky and Clyde are dead, Davkhur will only ready an action to cast for when Inky tries to act. That way the spell won't be wasted if he dies quickly.

Lateral
2013-05-11, 06:12 PM
So you're readying to cast the minor image if he doesn't die by the end of the round?

Derjuin
2013-05-11, 06:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Pacman_title_na.png/200px-Pacman_title_na.png

D'oh.

Inky might not survive being shishkebabed by arrows :smallamused:

Lateral
2013-05-11, 06:32 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mmm... yeah, I'm going to call this there. Will post in a bit.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-11, 07:18 PM
So you're readying to cast the minor image if he doesn't die by the end of the round?

Yes. (Which means he doesn't cast it.)

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 10:20 PM
Summoning [roll0] owls.

Lateral
2013-05-12, 10:31 PM
The dome is on the ceiling. You can't really sit 'atop' it.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 10:35 PM
Oh, I thought it was on the floor. In that case, I summon it in the air such that its wing will touch the dome on the upstroke.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-13, 01:35 AM
OKay, so that's nothing happened when the summoned owl touched the orb?

Lateral
2013-05-13, 05:50 AM
Yes.

BelGareth
2013-05-14, 09:24 PM
Ok, so I'm back, if you'll still have me.

Sorry about the absence, life got in the way for a few. I'll read up and post tomorrow. (or tonight...)

Lateral
2013-05-14, 09:57 PM
No problem. Know how that is.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-14, 11:15 PM
Hey, good to have the little pixie back. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2013-05-16, 11:43 PM
Oh, almost forgot. Everyone except Davhkur gains 667 XP, Davhkur gains 875.

Lateral
2013-05-17, 07:32 PM
So, are you agreed on Vivian breaking the glass? Lix hasn't posted with anything.

BelGareth
2013-05-17, 08:12 PM
So, are you agreed on Vivian breaking the glass? Lix hasn't posted with anything.

Oberon is but a humble servant to his Lord Davhkur

Lix Lorn
2013-05-17, 08:56 PM
...I completely missed that last post! :smallredface:

Edit: I um. That escalated quickly. Sorry. ._.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-20, 07:41 AM
So, is Vivian going to respond to Davkhur's threats? :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-05-20, 02:41 PM
I would really like to get through with this. I'm quite proud of this next chamber, actually. :smallamused:

Lix Lorn
2013-05-20, 03:32 PM
See... I have no idea how to respond to that in a way that is in-character, but isn't a blast of frost to the face. And I'm assuming that wasn't the plan.

Lateral
2013-05-20, 04:44 PM
Intervention of a third party, probably. It looks like both characters could use a reality check.

Lix Lorn
2013-05-20, 05:36 PM
That's why I haven't posted yet. ^_^''

Jeff the Green
2013-05-21, 02:19 PM
Well, she could have attacked, if you didn't mind playing a dominated phoenix. :smallamused:

Lateral
2013-05-21, 08:56 PM
Titania's Listen check: [roll0]

Lateral
2013-05-22, 04:52 PM
To be clear, you guys'll be teleported in at the second combat round- there'll be one with just Titania. Also, the map might be a bit- I'm pretty busy.

Edit: Oh, and don't bother doing anything- Oberon's fireball shatters the glass and you're all teleporting in. I'm just not going to describe it until after this round, in case something relevant happens.

GuyFawkes
2013-05-25, 08:07 AM
So, I read through the Rakshasa homebrew I'm using and apparently, I missed this part right here:


A Rakshasa also gains a bonus to it's natural armor equal to it's charisma modifier.

So is it okay to change this before the next fight?

Lateral
2013-05-25, 08:44 AM
Yeah, okay.

Lateral
2013-05-25, 08:38 PM
Hmm.

[roll0] (jump)
[roll1]
[roll2] (attack)
[roll3] (damage, including Titania's DR)
[roll4] (FORT save vs. DC 20)
[roll5]
[roll6] (grapple check)
[roll7] (opposed)
[roll8] (damage, incl. Titania's DR)

Lateral
2013-05-25, 11:35 PM
[roll0] (touch attack)
[roll1] (Will save)

[roll2] (Ravana teleport placement- X)
[roll3] (Ravana teleport placement- Y)

[roll4] (Davhkur teleport placement- X)
[roll5] (Davhkur teleport placement- Y)

[roll6] (Vivian teleport placement- X)
[roll7] (Vivian teleport placement- Y)

[roll8] (Oberon teleport placement- X)
[roll9] (Oberon teleport placement- Y)

[roll10] (Extra teleport placement- X)
[roll11] (Extra teleport placement- Y)
(If there's a conflict.)

That should do it.

BelGareth
2013-05-25, 11:38 PM
I'm suddenly afraid

Lix Lorn
2013-05-25, 11:48 PM
Oh god. xD
(hides)

Lateral
2013-05-26, 12:44 AM
...That spell will last the whole fight. The big frog and little frog-man just took out your heaviest damage-dealer in one round, before the rest of you even got there. O_o

Speaking of which. Titania, I think we might need to talk about your damage output. If it weren't for this frog's obscenely high AC, it'd have gone down pretty much instantly. Do the rest of you have an opinion on this?

GuyFawkes
2013-05-26, 01:16 AM
Well, as you said, damage can be mitigated by high AC. Still not game-breaking for me, especially in this type of game where there are a lot of traps and puzzles. And aside from her, we don't really have any other reliable damage output anyway.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-26, 03:29 AM
We're talking outsider for the Oxymindrius and the horned one, and magical beasts for the little ones, I'm guessing. Identification checks:

Knowledge (planes) for Oxy: [roll0]
Knowledge (planes) for Horny: [roll1]
Knowledge (arcana) for Froggies: [roll2]


In particular I'd like to know what languages the horned one knows.


Speaking of which. Titania, I think we might need to talk about your damage output. If it weren't for this frog's obscenely high AC, it'd have gone down pretty much instantly. Do the rest of you have an opinion on this?

DR. Her damage output relies on multiple hits, so DR 5 will reduce her output by 25, DR 8 by 40, etc.

Lateral
2013-05-26, 11:04 AM
All right, if you guys don't have a problem with it then it's fine.

Knowledge (Nature) for all of them, actually.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]


Oxymindrius is an anthropomorphic frog. Such creatures have occasionally been created, whether through wizards' experiments or through magical phenomena. This place... probably counts.

Judging by the bony ridges and unusually large teeth, it's some form of dire toad. The unusually large size and horns indicate that it's... well...

It's half-minotaur. You don't even want to know how that works.

The toads are some kind of giant toad. That's... well, that's all you can tell with a roll of 12. Sorry.

BelGareth
2013-05-26, 11:18 AM
Oberon goes and cries in the corner...

"no real damage output, pffft, I'm a WARmage...." he says to himself....

Albeit not optimized to the extent of some of (most) the home brew in this game. I have felt slightly useless in fights sometimes, well not useless, but overshadowed or redundant, maybe it's because our roles overlap? I didn't complain, cause well, there was nothing to complain about, I just sucked it up and embraced oberons character, dealing with it.

But I do think the damage output is rather crazy (no complaint, jut observation) especially when a warmage is having hard time catching up or even competing, reason why asked to rebuild the character,but I've always loved warmages, and I maybe, perhaps shouldn't have kept the class during my rebuild.

/thoughts

Lix Lorn
2013-05-26, 11:40 AM
Darn. This would be the perfect moment to use Crescent blade. If I shot titania, the AoE would hit two small toads, the big one, and the king. :smalltongue:

GuyFawkes
2013-05-26, 12:17 PM
Uhh, do we forgo initiative for this?

Lateral
2013-05-26, 12:21 PM
Don't bother, you guys go first. They've already rolled, and it was pretty crap.

Jeff, Davhkur can't go to J15. Each square is double, so you can only move fifteen feet.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-26, 02:32 PM
Don't bother, you guys go first. They've already rolled, and it was pretty crap.

Jeff, Davhkur can't go to J15. Each square is double, so you can only move fifteen feet.

Ah, forgot that. He'll just move 5' south, then.

Also, let's put him going after Ravana so the crushing despair effect can soften Oxy up a little.

Derjuin
2013-05-27, 06:12 PM
It actually seems like we have a fair share of damage-dealers, so if anyone feels overshadowed and it's okay with Lateral, I could reroll after we finish our current adventure, should we continue after that.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-27, 08:42 PM
It actually seems like we have a fair share of damage-dealers, so if anyone feels overshadowed and it's okay with Lateral, I could reroll after we finish our current adventure, should we continue after that.

You mean encounter, right? I'd say let Lateral build an encounter that counters Titania a bit more than the last couple (high AC/DR but not touch AC), and then see how everyone feels.

Lateral
2013-05-28, 08:57 PM
Belgareth. Waiting on you.

Lateral
2013-05-30, 06:13 PM
[roll0] (Grapple)
[roll1] (opposed)

[roll2] (Oxysave)
[roll3] (spot check vs. Davhkur)
[roll4] (Oxysave) -2 for Crushing Despair still beats Davhkur's DC 21.

[roll5] (Frogsave-1)
[roll6] (Frogsave-2)
[roll7] (Frogsave-3)
[roll8] (Frogsave-4)
[roll9] (Dukesave)

So everyone except the Archduke has Crushing Despair. I'm not even going to bother rolling saves against that fireball.

Lateral
2013-05-30, 07:03 PM
[roll0] (Swallow Whole damage-adjusted for DR)
[roll1] (save)
[roll2] (poison)

[roll3] (jump)
[roll4] (grapple touch 3)
[roll5] (grapple check 3)
[roll6] (opposed 3)
[roll7] (damage 3)
[roll8]

[roll9] (grapple touch 1)
[roll10] (grapple check 1)
[roll11] (opposed 1)
[roll12] (damage 1)
[roll13]

[roll14] (grapple touch 2)
[roll15] (grapple check 2)
[roll16] (opposed 2)
[roll17] (damage 2)
[roll18]


[roll19] (Duke attack)
[roll20] (damage- adjusted for DR)
[roll21] (save)
[roll22] (poison)
[roll23] (grapple)
[roll24] (opposed)
[roll25] (damage- adjusted for DR)
[roll26] (save)
[roll27] (poison)

[roll28] (Duke touch)
[roll29] (grapple)
[roll30] (opposed)
[roll31] (damage)
[roll32] (save)
[roll33] (poison)

That should be it. Phew.

...Wow. Just... wow.

BelGareth
2013-05-30, 07:09 PM
[roll0] (Swallow Whole damage-adjusted for DR)
[roll1] (save)
[roll2] (poison)

[roll3] (jump)
[roll4] (grapple touch 3)
[roll5] (grapple check 3)
[roll6] (opposed 3)
[roll7] (damage 3)
[roll8]

[roll9] (grapple touch 1)
[roll10] (grapple check 1)
[roll11] (opposed 1)
[roll12] (damage 1)
[roll13]

[roll14] (grapple touch 2)
[roll15] (grapple check 2)
[roll16] (opposed 2)
[roll17] (damage 2)
[roll18]


[roll19] (Duke attack)
[roll20] (damage- adjusted for DR)
[roll21] (save)
[roll22] (poison)
[roll23] (grapple)
[roll24] (opposed)
[roll25] (damage- adjusted for DR)
[roll26] (save)
[roll27] (poison)

[roll28] (Duke touch)
[roll29] (grapple)
[roll30] (opposed)
[roll31] (damage)
[roll32] (save)
[roll33] (poison)

That should be it. Phew.

...Wow. Just... wow.

Wow is good right, Right? RIGHT????:smalleek:

Lateral
2013-05-30, 07:35 PM
Umm. Well, this encounter is still probably survivable...

Hey, wait! Ravana has enough DR that he takes no damage! Never mind, you guys should be OK.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-30, 08:40 PM
Oh, wait, forgot greenbound. That gives +3 attack and damage and +7 grapple. Also makes him immune to dazing. :smallamused:

Lateral
2013-05-30, 08:49 PM
...Yeah, I'mma have to give you some advice for next round. Both Oxymindrius and the Archduke have over 30 standard AC. I'd recommend touch attacks and forcing Reflex saves.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-30, 08:59 PM
...Yeah, I'mma have to give you some advice for next round. Both Oxymindrius and the Archduke have over 30 standard AC. I'd recommend touch attacks and forcing Reflex saves.

Hmm. Well, if Davkhur would have guessed that, maybe make the a touch attack and the bite damage only occurs on the successful grapple check?

Lateral
2013-05-30, 09:02 PM
Yeah, okay, I'll give you that. The dude's supposed to be hyperintelligent.