PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Tattoos: Giving the Monk a Little Love

wayfare
2012-09-03, 02:23 PM
Hey All:

I am working on a redesign of the Monk for my Dogs of War project, and I wanted to give the class a way of compensating for all the cool enchantments warrior types get to benefit from. So here is my solution -- its not perfect, but I think it helps.

Enchanted Tattoo

An enchanted tattoo is a mystic pattern inscribed on a characters flesh, empowered by their life energy. Enchanted tattoos duplicate the enhancements found on weapons and armor, but are literally writ onto the characters flesh and modify the characters natural attacks and armor (if any).

Enchanted Tattoos are inscribed on animal hide in a process that is identical to Enchanting a Weapon or Suit of Armor and requires the same costs and feats. Once inscribed, the hide can be given to an individual who must mediate on the Tattoo for 8 full hours. At the end of this meditation, the Tattoo transfers itself from the hide and to onto the characters skin. Characters are subject to all the normal limits of enchanting weapons and armor when adding mystic tattoos to their body.

Crafting an Enchanted Tattoo requires at least 10 ranks in Craft: Tattoo. This expertise increases the cost of a given tattoo by 15%.

Enchanted Tattoos are fueled by the characters life-energy and thus cannot be dispelled or disjoined without a ritual -- any attempt cancels the tattoo's effects for 1 round before the flow of life-energy restores the tattoo's effects. An anti-magic field does cancel a Mystic Tattoo while the character remains within its boundaries.

An Enchanted Tattoo can be removed via a dispelling ritual that costs 1/10th the price of the tattoo to be removed. This ritual can be performed by anybody with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, and takes a full 8 hours to complete. For a full day after the Enchanted Tattoo is removed, the character is Exhausted.

----

Well, anyhoo, that's my effort. Any thoughts?

Network
2012-09-03, 02:31 PM
There is already a necklace to fulfil this role.

Two, to be precise. One of them is in the Savage Species (don't remember the name, sorry).

wayfare
2012-09-03, 04:07 PM
There is already a necklace to fulfil this role.

Two, to be precise. One of them is in the Savage Species (don't remember the name, sorry).

But that takes up one of your magic item slots. This doesnt.

bobthe6th
2012-09-03, 09:53 PM
the cost hike is funky... I would ditch it.

also, I would make the tattoo easy to add/remove, or easy to cycle through.
like you can add n tattoos, but to change tats takes two move actions, or a move and a free with quick draw.

but in general a nice enough fix for all monks wearing gauntlets.