PDA

View Full Version : So my gf is getting into D&D...

LanSlyde
2012-09-03, 03:26 PM
So as the title says, she knows next to nothing about the mechanics involved, but she says she wants to be some type of Dragonborn Ranger. So I made her base race Mongrelfolk, gave her great scimitars (her choice), Oversized TWF, Improved Crit, and Steadfast Determination to make up for a poor will-save.

Not gonna lie here folks, scouts and rangers aren't my area of expertise, but I eventually planned sending her into Lion of Talisid (Exalted Deeds). So does the playground have any tips for improving her ability to scout for the party and not end up dead?

Loki_42
2012-09-03, 03:37 PM
Well, for scouting, you can't go wrong with the nice, simple get your hide/move silently and spot/listen obscenely high, which is not hard to do from a ranger base. For feats, she should pick up Darkstalker, as it just makes hiding so much easier. Swift Hunter is excellent for the scout/rangers, as it allows them to progress the best parts of each. I suggest ranger focus, for the attack bonus, but scout skill points can be handy. Pick up a level in Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian for the pounce, and she can charge and activate skirmish with her full attack.

Lastly, while not entirely necessary, her combat potency can always be helped by dipping Tome of Battle, probably swordsage or warblade, or even just Martial Study/Stance. It's fantastic for multiclassing, and really hard to mess up, optimization-wise. Tiger Claw, in particular, jives with Two-weapon fighting, and can even help scouting by giving scent.

eggs
2012-09-03, 03:45 PM
Spell Compendium + Wands + Wand Chambers/Bracers give the ranger a lot of more powerful and fun things to do (pounce becomes fairly affordable, bonus damage boosts start cropping up, utility abilities like Burrow become feasible, etc.)

Private
2012-09-03, 05:04 PM
I honestly think you are introducing her to a side of the game that may be better saved for later. Let her start out with something simple, so that she can grasp the mechanics and enjoy the RP.

I miss the days when I didn't care about my Min-Maxing and Power Gaming, and I think starting someone out as a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk is going to throw her right into the trap so many of us have fallen into.

I know it isn't what you asked for, Just my 2 cp.

Yora
2012-09-03, 05:06 PM
I am with private. When you start with 3rd Edition D&D, start with PHB only for at least half a year. Even that is complex enough to take some time to understand what you are actually doing.
From getting a premade character sheet and someone telling you what you have to do, you don't learn anything.

LanSlyde
2012-09-03, 06:18 PM
I thank you all for your input. But the only thing I didn't like was dipping barb for pounce. It doesn't flow well enough for my liking.