PDA

View Full Version : Can a warlock become a lich?

Admiral Squish
2012-09-03, 04:29 PM
So, the creating a phylactery rules say the character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of at least 11th level. However, it doesn't specify any specific spell. At 12th, a warlock gets imbue item, which says they can fake a spell required for creating an item with a UMD check. But it doesn't require a spell, it requires the ability to cast spells.

So, relatively simple question. Anyone?

Also, if it's impossible, are there any other ways to become immortal that CAN be accomplished by a warlock?

Yora
2012-09-03, 04:34 PM
Raw says no. However, if he would take one level of wizard he would be able to cast spells and able to become a lich. Which obviously is nonsense and so it makes sense to allow an 11th level warlock to become a lich.

Also, the phrase "must be able to cast spells" was written down at a time when there was no other type of magic than spells. So it does not indicate that the writer meant "classes that use different mechanics to do magic than spells are excluded". At that time, he did write "all classes that do magic are able".

shadow_archmagi
2012-09-03, 04:36 PM
Yes. Warlocks have a caster level and can qualify for prestige classes that require a caster level.

EDIT: D'oh! Missed that "must be able to cast spells" bit. I'm sure any DM would allow it, though. At least, if they were going to allow Lich to begin with though.

Flickerdart
2012-09-03, 04:36 PM
Also, the phrase "must be able to cast spells" was written down at a time when there was no other type of magic than spells. So it does not indicate that the writer meant "classes that use different mechanics to do magic than spells are excluded". At that time, he did write "all classes that do magic are able".
Incorrect. Spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities already existed at the time the Lich template was written. If having access to those qualified you, it would have said so.

Fouredged Sword
2012-09-03, 04:49 PM
There is a feat somewhere that lets you cast a first level spell. It allows you to qualify. I see no fluff reason why a warlock couldn't become a lich.

Yora
2012-09-03, 05:03 PM
The line "The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher" is confusing.
It does not say that you have to be able to cast spells with a caster level of 11th. So 1 level in a spellcasting class plus a spell-like ability of caster level 11 or higher would enable a character to become a lich. But I think it is very unlikely that they specifically wanted to have it work this way.

I think it's quite safe to say that the intention was "you have to be able to cast spell at a caster level of 11th". Which would mean No Warlocks!

But now the warlock does have a class feature that is specifically made to allow him to create magic items even without being able to cast spells. And there is nothing about the phylactery tied to casting spells, nor does the lich templates affect spellcasting. There is no reason why a lich would have to be a spellcaster.
However, in all the years that warlocks have been around, I don't know of a single case of there ever being a warlock lich in any official publications. Which is admitedly weak, but still evidence that they are not supposed to.

So basically: Ask your DM for what he feels is right for the campaign.

SaintRidley
2012-09-03, 05:13 PM
Really, it should be pretty simple. Either a a reasonable, if not strict, reading of the rules would work and we just apply the template as is or we can look at the example of the Lichfiend in Libris Mortis.

The Lichfiend (designed for evil outsiders, but easily retrofitted for Warlocks) is pretty simple: 5 at will spell-like abilities, Craft Wondrous Item, and caster level 11 to qualify. The only difference they make to the template itself is to change the damage reduction to DR 15/good and bludgeoning.

For the Warlock, just take the basics of the Lichfiend, change the damage reduction to DR 15/Cold Iron and Bludgeoning, and call it a day.

And when the changes are that minimal, you may as well just let anyone with a caster level and the feat take the template. The whole point is using your magic to extend your life. No reason it should discriminate.

Invader
2012-09-03, 05:42 PM
I'm AFB at the moment but that rule is specifically creating the phylactery. Is there a rule that says the character must create his/her own phylactery? Couldn't a character effectively just hire an appropriately leveled caster to make the phylactery and perform the ritual on him?

ericgrau
2012-09-03, 05:52 PM
Yes

Each lich must make its own phylactery

Though IMO the DM should just let a level 11 warlock be a lich. If it makes you feel better give him all the same abilities but call them lich-like abilities :smalltongue:.

mattie_p
2012-09-03, 06:24 PM
Yes

Though IMO the DM should just let a level 11 warlock be a lich. If it makes you feel better give him all the same abilities but call them lich-like abilities :smalltongue:.

Isn't that lich-loved? Sorry I'm not familiar with lich-liked :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-09-03, 06:35 PM
Isn't that lich-loved? Sorry I'm not familiar with lich-liked :smallbiggrin:
It's a lot like lich-friendzoned.

SaintRidley
2012-09-03, 06:42 PM
It's a lot like lich-friendzoned.

It really is better that way. You really don't want to become familiar with anything involving po-lich-amy.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-09-03, 07:35 PM
If you follow the stock fluff of Warlock this should be impossible or at least much harder than being a regular lich. The dark powers want that soul and wouldn't like it getting locked away in a phylactery. Exceptions could be made for Warlocks that a directly doing their bidding though.

Psyren
2012-09-03, 08:32 PM
Warlock 11 with Magical Training. Bam, Warlock lich.

Vizzerdrix
2012-09-04, 02:01 AM
I say Baaah to lichdom! Being a Brain in a jar is the way to go, after all.I think that's the proper color...

But honestly, If you want to be immortal get turned into a necropolitain, then Haunt Shift (BoVD spell) a six armed glassteel statue. Or a sammich, your call.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-04, 04:29 AM
Warlock 11 with Magical Training. Bam, Warlock lich.

I think it needs to be Warlock 12, since you need to craft the phylactery

Fable Wright
2012-09-04, 04:38 AM
I think it needs to be Warlock 12, since you need to craft the phylactery

No, you just need Craft Wondrous Item. Since you don't have any spells to replicate, Warlock 12 is unnecessary.

Clovis
2012-09-04, 06:56 AM
Being an undead warlock can be fun. Richard!
See http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/1