PDA

View Full Version : advice on where to go, new dm...game jurnal.

morkendi
2012-09-03, 06:35 PM
I have played 3.5 about a year now and 2nd edition and such for years. Never really tried my hand at DM, but a couple friends and I decided to rotate games some everyone gets a chance to play. I wanted some help with ideas for plot and such from other experienced players and dms, so I figured I would ask here. just dealing with the game I am running.

Players are all 5th lvl now, We have the following. Dwarf warrior who is sword and board build type, stand still, cleave, power attack and such. Second is grey elf druid with wolf companion. Third is Dwarf cleric. He is strait build focused on undead with extra turning and such. Last is wizard 1,cleric of Baccob 3, Mystic thurge 1. He has precocious apprentice to qualify early.

I modified an old module I got years ago into 3.5, the caves of caos just for a basis. I set it in the bloodstone lands in Fearun. I took time to rewrite every mob in the module to current rules and creatures. The following is where it has gone so far.

The party was hired to guard the supply caravan to the keep. Once there, the contract was compleat, so they went to the tavern and such. Listening to rumors, they decide to venture to these caves that the heard about in town. A few farmers had gone missing as well as any party that has investigated so far. There is also a bounty for the ears of different creatures.

They make there way there over the next 3 days with a few random encounters that don't matter. The make it to the valley which is full of caves. They decide on the first cave to the right and enter. Being the fighter, the dwarf decides to lead. 30 feet in, he makes friends with the pit trap he failed to see. Its only a 10 foot drop, so 1d6 damage is no big deal. Needless to say, all the kobolds hear it and come running. I changed the mobs here making most warriors 3rd lvl and a few sorcerers in the mix as they are kobolds. The dwarf spend most the combat stuck in the pit as a smart kobold greased it. Party managed to pull through as it is healer intensive. Mage greased the mobs and the spells battle started. The party burnt through all there spells to survive long enough to get the dwarf out and retreat. The went back into the woods to regroup and camp after a brief chase. They head back to town to regroup as they feel they underestimated what they were going against with the kobold casters. They came back and avoided the pit and moved in. The dwarf proved enough to turn the tide this time as they moved through the complex. They got to the common room where the women and kids are being protected buy 18 warriors, and 2 rouge that are 4th lvl. They get trough this eventually, the highlight being when the mage charmed a thief and told him the bossed feared him and hired one of the other to kill him. The charmed one looks around and decides it is the other thief who was going to do it and attacks. When the women and children are the only ones left, they proceed to murder them which gives the charmed on another save that he makes and manages to get away to warn the chief. They notice that 3 of the children are white with pink eyes. When searching, they notice and glow from the hall. The Chief and his guards rolled out some barrels of oil and lit them in the passage. The Chief is also an albino, and he is a 6th lvl barbarian. He guards are 2 fighters lvl 4 and another sorcerer plus the thief that got away. The dwarf tries to jump the fire, but comes up short. They manage to get him put out and have a pretty drawn out battle, but manage to survive. The dwarf falls, only at -1, but they manage to get him healed. They search the complex and find the chiefs room which has his woman and what they think is his son. They try to talk to them to find the loot or the key for the chest. They threaten to kill the boy, so the woman attacks. The boy is a psion and cast cloud mind on the mage an?d then wall walk. He climbs the wall and cast cloud mind on only person with bow. He then perceeds to cloud mind every party member and walks out. They loot everything and barricade them self in to rest. They manage to rest with a couple little encounters. They decide to head to town and lvl an train.

They return and head for the next cave which is filled with orcs. They walk into this hall that has a bunch of heads in alcoves. Upon further inspection, the notice one head is an orc who pulls his head out of the hole when noticed. They then hear this drum and every orc comes. The back up to a T intersection and prepare 20 orcs come as well as the orc chief who is an 8th lvl psi war. The orc says he will take them himself, but fails a will save to the mystic thurge casting hold with the roll of a 1. The orcs try to rush forward to get their leader and pull him out. The MT starts greasing the hall where they are at trying o drag off the chief. Couple color sprays, grease, and such and they have it under control. They burn though spells and kill the chief. Thing is because of the drum, they run. They make it back to the keep again and decide train again.

After a few weeks to compleat the training, an alarm goes off from the gate. Walking up to the gate is 2 giants and a little blue goblin with a white flag. He request a parley with whom ever is in charge. The commander picks some guards and the dwarf to go out with him to meet this goblin. The goblin hand the commander a scroll, which he reads. The dwarf sees the commanders eyes go wide and look to the cliffs around the keep. Surrounding them are 10 giant sized catapults maned by 6 hill giants each, but they are not attacking. The note further reads that individuals from this keep have attacked their homes and cut the ears from several of there kin. Those responsible have been tracked back to the keep. Any further trangrestions will be considered an act of war wich will not be tolerated. The keep will recognize our community as a sovernty, and stop and further actions against them. They have 2 days. The keep sends out some scouts at night to see the catapults and such. They see several orcs, knolls, goblins, hill giants, and such to a point they are out numbered.

The next day, the alarm goes off again. Several farmers are walking to the keep. When questioned, large groups of orcs and such came to their farms. Little blue goblins step forward and tell them to leave. The charm the farmers and force them, but not a single person is hurt. One farmer has a scroll that reads," Now you know how it feels when people invades your lands and take your stuff." The commander is stunned, he says this is BS, at wich point he is handed the second scroll that states the farmers may return if the terms mentioned the day before are met. The commander calls for a meeting. It is decided to give into the terms for now.

The Blue returns the next day. When they agree, the blue looks at the catapults and the giants start to dismantle them and leave.

The things the party doesn't know. The bad guys are trying to build power. Psionics are a big part of this. The blues are smart. They are tired of living in caves and such as fodder for adventures to try their blades on. They have managed to capture all adventures who came until now to keep everything under wraps. When the party managed to return, they felt they had to move. Normal reaction is attack, so they decide to act civilized instead to put the keep off guard with a simple display of power. They made a point not to hurt anyone and return everything they take.

Things the party has discussed. The psionic creaters and such seem to be in charge. The normal orcs and such act like every other orc they heard off, but their leaders are acting different. This organization and such are not normal. they wonder how deep this runs.

What I need help on. What kind of creatures can kind of influence the genetics of other creaters to produce more offspring that may be psionic. Any ideas on where the plot should go from here. The next step may be the goblins are going to mind wipe the prisoners from previous adventuring parties and return them as a "show of good faith." in return, they ask to enter trade agreements to use the keep as a point to get their goods to market. One of the blues is a thralheard, he will send a thrall back with the prisoners.

morkendi
2012-09-03, 06:37 PM
sorry, my spell check not working, and kids keep stopping me.... oh well...