PDA

View Full Version : When do certain skills top out?

silverwolfer
2012-09-03, 09:10 PM
So am making a character that is sort of tight on skills due to being MAD, I am aware of balance being only really needing 5 points, is their any other skills that start showing lesser, or no returns once at a certain level?

Snowbluff
2012-09-03, 09:15 PM
Once you get 19 UMD total (from ranks and CHA), you can use any wand, IIRC.

5 ranks in Balance keeps you from being flat footed while balancing.

Tumble can never be too high. :smallcool:

Tvtyrant
2012-09-03, 09:20 PM
Once you get 19 UMD total (from ranks and CHA), you can use any wand, IIRC.

5 ranks in Balance keeps you from being flat footed while balancing.

Tumble can never be too high. :smallcool:

I don't know, I would crank balance for a bit longer. Afterall, the easiest way to get 10ft. steps (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a) has balance problems.

Snowbluff
2012-09-03, 09:23 PM
I don't know, I would crank balance for a bit longer. Afterall, the easiest way to get 10ft. steps (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a) has balance problems.

So Balance soft caps at 5 ranks and 16 total (don't forget your 1 from your terrible d20 rolls lol)

19 total UMD is a soft Cap as well. Scroll levels only go up so high, for the most part anyway, making a hard cap.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-03, 09:30 PM
Tumble usually stops once you can get a solid 15 every time. Getting it a bit higher is good if your DM remembers that each person you pass after the first increases the DC by +2.

Use Magic Device stops at a DC 30.

Open Lock stops at DC40. You can take 20 on an Open Lock attempt and if you use Masterwork quality tools you get a +5, so the max you need in the skill is really 15.

Diplomacy stops around 50.

Disable Device stops around 29, but I think they can get higher so a Rogue should be careful.

Appraise goes up to 25+, so you should be good at 30.

Knowledges all really just require 1 rank. If you want full knowledge of something, aim for the full 30.

Control Shape stops at 25.

Escape Artist goes to about 40.

Uhtred
2012-09-03, 09:48 PM
Jump and climb are skills I feel can go up pretty infinitely without capping; I had a Centaur once with a Str mod of 14 and maxed out jump. When he Leap-Attacked he could go a pretty crazy distance. And with that Str Mod and maxed-out Cimb he was able to scale a sheer castle wall. A Centaur. Hauling his 3000lb self up the side of a castle. And the DM allowed it, because I was able to beat the DC's by significant margins despite the crazy logistics.

silverwolfer
2012-09-03, 09:50 PM
That falls under feats of heroic chance I think.

shadow_archmagi
2012-09-03, 10:01 PM
Survival tops out at 15 if you're not tracking, 20 if you are. Sleight of hand maxes out at 20, since you only get an opposed spot check under "Close Observation"

Spellcraft maxes out at 24 if you only care about identifying spells being cast.

TuggyNE
2012-09-03, 11:32 PM
Sleight of hand maxes out at 20, since you only get an opposed spot check under "Close Observation"

Cheesy free action uses, if you're into that, require higher modifiers, since you take -20 penalty to your check.