PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on what to call my system

Yitzi
2012-09-03, 09:15 PM
As I've mentioned before, I'm working on a system rework for 3.5; thing is, it's different enough that it really needs a new name, and it does not fulfill the requirements to be covered under the d20 system license (so I can't call it anything involving D&D or d20). So I need a new name, and I'm horrible at naming. Thus, I'm wondering if anybody here could help me come up with ideas.

wayfare
2012-09-03, 09:22 PM
As I've mentioned before, I'm working on a system rework for 3.5; thing is, it's different enough that it really needs a new name, and it does not fulfill the requirements to be covered under the d20 system license (so I can't call it anything involving D&D or d20). So I need a new name, and I'm horrible at naming. Thus, I'm wondering if anybody here could help me come up with ideas.

Is it heroic fantasy, another genre, or gurps style open? The genre is always a good start.

Do you have a setting? Naming it after that is a successful idea.

Random Thought: d20-Advanced!

bobthe6th
2012-09-03, 09:55 PM
somthing in the x&x fashion... like Warriors & Wizards? shortened to W&W?

Yitzi
2012-09-03, 10:12 PM
Is it heroic fantasy, another genre, or gurps style open? The genre is always a good start.

Genre is heroic fantasy, same as D&D.

Do you have a setting? Naming it after that is a successful idea.

No, it's designed to be setting-neutral.

Random Thought: d20-Advanced!

As I said in the OP, anything with "d20" can't work, as "d20" (as the name of a game system) is trademarked and my system doesn't fit the conditions of the license. (Also, I'm planning to replace the d20 with a modified 3d6.)

Although "3d6 fantasy adventuring system" might work, though it's a bit long.

somthing in the x&x fashion... like Warriors & Wizards? shortened to W&W?

Interesting idea, but I'm not quite sure what to use. (W&W doesn't work well, as warriors are an NPC class.)

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-03, 10:19 PM
Heroes and Harpies?
Caverns and Champions?
Wyrms and Wizards? Wizards and Wyrms?

bobthe6th
2012-09-03, 10:20 PM
oh, oh, PLATEMAIL! huh, huh, huh?

Yitzi
2012-09-03, 10:27 PM
Heroes and Harpies?
Caverns and Champions?
Wyrms and Wizards? Wizards and Wyrms?

None of those really seem right. They seem more like "trying to imitate the D&D name" than something that really fits.

If you can think of something to go with "adventures" it might work (as the idea of adventures rather than encounters as the important unit is pretty significant); otherwise, I think something descriptive might make more sense.

oh, oh, PLATEMAIL! huh, huh, huh?

I don't get it.

rudy
2012-09-03, 10:35 PM
Crossroads of Adventure (subtitle: A 3d6 fantasy gaming and role-playing system)

(alternately "Heart of Adventure")

bobthe6th
2012-09-03, 10:36 PM
riff on chainmail...

Ardvarks&Adventures?
Adventures & Adventurers?
Assassins & Adventures?

Amechra
2012-09-03, 10:44 PM
D&D originates from a war game called Chainmail.

I would suggest something like Heroism (might be too close to the Hero system), or something similar.

rudy
2012-09-03, 10:45 PM
More Alternates:

Arcane Adventures (though this may imply a more magic-focus setting than you wish)

If it's exploration heavy:

Sights Unseen (subtitle: A 3d6 fantasy adventuring system)

rudy
2012-09-03, 10:47 PM
Or "Spirit of Adventure". Duh, Rudy. Though that sounds like someone maybe already copyrighted it. No idea, though.

razorback
2012-09-03, 11:17 PM
Donjons and Dragoons?

Yitzi
2012-09-04, 10:14 AM
Crossroads of Adventure

Interesting...doesn't seem quite right, but I think you're on the right track.

"Adventures of legend" has a nice ring to it, though.

rudy
2012-09-04, 10:23 AM
"Adventures of Legend" sounds a bit... kiddyish? to me, to be honest.

Yitzi
2012-09-04, 10:55 AM
"Adventures of Legend" sounds a bit... kiddyish? to me, to be honest.

I suppose...so then I'm still looking for ideas.

RedWarlock
2012-09-04, 01:51 PM
Basically, figure out what concepts of your setting/system you want to emphasize. For instance, if you're pushing for mundane elements, then use terms from those (IE, Castles and Crusades suggests a D&D clone ('X & X' name) centered on historic elements). If you've got a magic system you're proud of, emphasize for that. Find the major element you think makes your system more interesting than others. 'Generic fantasy' gets you nowhere, and leaves you with nothing to stand out from the pack. Pick something and go.

For my own 3.5 rework, the setting for which has elements of strong divine influence (not just FR-esque divine overload, but actual divine influence resulting in physical changes. Servants of the elf-spider god become more elflike, then eventually gain spider features, same with a wolf-god worshipped by the goblins, etc.) I used the name Blood of the Gods, shorthand Godsblood, named such for the divine influence on the blood of their followers.

Yitzi
2012-09-04, 03:31 PM
Basically, figure out what concepts of your setting/system you want to emphasize.

Problem is, there are a number of important concepts in my system, and I'm not sure which ones to emphasize. (Some of the most important are the idea that different classes excel at different things (i.e. no tier 1) and various things designed to discourage the "hack slash kill" mode of gaming in favor of a more strategic/tactical/innovative approach. And a very strong emphasis on in-character thinking and the prerequisite worldbuilding.)