PDA

View Full Version : Good bye to Darrell Lea shops...

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-04, 12:39 AM
Very Sad (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-03/part-of-darrell-lea-sold/4240428?section=business) :(

I love Darrell Lea. It's always a good failsafe for Father's Day and birthdays. I love their ice creams, and fudge that they made themselves. Too bad all the shops are closing.

You can still get the stuff at places, but no more shops.

Skeppio
2012-09-04, 12:46 AM
:frown: Awww...

Lady Moreta
2012-09-04, 01:06 AM
Awwww... they decided to close all the others shops I see.

The shop in my local mall had already closed (and there's already a new shop in there)... I read the sign that said they were closing the lowest performing shops. Then I kinda forgot about it... I'm not a huge fan of their stuff... though I will miss their dark chocolate. And Peregrine will miss the black cats I used to buy him.

I won't miss them though... hate the smell of aniseed...

Elemental
2012-09-04, 01:16 AM
I, on the other hand, love the smell of aniseed...
I shall miss the little shop they had at the local Westfields, it was always a delight to go into.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-04, 04:20 AM
I, on the other hand, love the smell of aniseed...

Weirdo :smalltongue:

I must admit, I'm not surprised the one at our local mall was one of the first closed - there were only ever people in it around Valentine's Day, Mother & Father's Days, Christmas and Easter... the rest of the time, it was practically empty. And this is the biggest mall in Perth (I think) and I suspect the rent was astronomical.

There's another one in the city that always had more customers though, that'll be sad to see go. Again, I won't miss the smell, you could smell that place from 10 metres away!

Rowsen
2012-09-05, 05:50 AM
I haven't been keeping up on this very much, what's caused them to take such a nosedive? I thought thier stores were still popular.

Skeppio
2012-09-05, 06:08 AM
I haven't been keeping up on this very much, what's caused them to take such a nosedive? I thought thier stores were still popular.

The one in the city on Swanston Street (Near the EB Games) looked like it wasn't doing so well for a while now... but I didn't really take much notice until it had closed down before last Saturday. :smallfrown:

Dr. Simon
2012-09-05, 09:42 AM
I must admit, as a Brit, I've only heard of them through a joke on Kath and Kim...

Lady Moreta
2012-09-05, 09:39 PM

The article doesn't really say, but from what I can gather, they just weren't making any money. At least the chocolate will continue to be made. I liked their chocolate more than anything else, and there's a newsagent not far from home who sells Darrell Lea products, so hopefully they'll sell the chocolate as well (I don't believe they currently do).

Rowsen
2012-09-06, 02:23 AM
The article doesn't really say, but from what I can gather, they just weren't making any money. At least the chocolate will continue to be made. I liked their chocolate more than anything else, and there's a newsagent not far from home who sells Darrell Lea products, so hopefully they'll sell the chocolate as well (I don't believe they currently do).
Oh cool, because the local newsagent stocks a lot of thier stuff and I was hoping it wouldn't vanish overnight. Sucks about the store closure though, one at a nearby shopping centre had a wooden monkey butler who held out the special of the day. It was awesome

Lady Moreta
2012-09-06, 02:25 AM
As I understand it, another company has bought the chocolate factory, so I assume all chocolate products will continue being made, and I guess anything else that was made in the same factory will keep being made... but all other products won't exist any more (so the actual lollies and things they made, like black cats etc I guess won't be available any more).

Skeppio
2012-09-06, 02:45 AM
Oh cool, because the local newsagent stocks a lot of thier stuff and I was hoping it wouldn't vanish overnight. Sucks about the store closure though, one at a nearby shopping centre had a wooden monkey butler who held out the special of the day. It was awesome

Probably should've asked if they wanted to sell it. :smalltongue: