PDA

View Full Version : How would you spread stats for skillmonkey cleric?

silverwolfer
2012-09-04, 02:19 AM
How would you spread out 32 point build, for a skill monkey cloistered cleric?

I will be taking kobold domain + trickery, am I spreading myself to thin?

killianh
2012-09-04, 03:56 AM
A little bit, but its doable.

You're going to want high INT, WIS, and DEX in that order I would say. But to that end I would also say you should be a beguiler instead for the caster/skill monkey type

silverwolfer
2012-09-04, 02:47 PM
Thin am gong to be messing with 14 acrossed the board?

8,14,14,14,16,12?

ericgrau
2012-09-04, 02:54 PM
Ability scores help skills but they only make a small difference. I wouldn't make those ability scores too high. I'd just be a regular wis/con spellcasting cleric who happens to have some good skills. Maybe 12 int & dex, but see what you can spare.

I made a similar mistake on a turning cleric before realizing that charisma barely helps. I'm not saying skills or turning are bad to have, but you simply cannot focus on them and expect much in return for your efforts. Focus on something else and get your skills as well.

Another thing you might branch out into for your concept would be utility cleric. Get scrolls of everything. You are now the first aid kit for every monster special ability and you can find secret doors or understand languages or etc. too. But while this might disrupt some gear plans on a melee cleric (which cloistered is not) it won't hurt a casting cleric much, so you can still cast too.

eggs
2012-09-04, 03:04 PM
With all the Cleric's crazy skill-boosting spells, there's not a huge need to have high modifiers spread around. It's probably most efficient to go with the normal Wis>>Con/Cha>Int/Str/Dex route and to drop Guidance of the Avatar and Divine Insight every now and again.

...Not that you'd screw anything up going a different way, so long as Wisdom is squeezing decent DCs and bonus spells.

silverwolfer
2012-09-04, 03:49 PM
So I have sort of been sidelined, saying I need to make a gesalt .....

Taking those stats into consideration and my needs, what do you think, Dragonfire adept?

ericgrau
2012-09-04, 04:06 PM
You already have skills covered with 6 + int points per level and cleric buffs. What are your other goals? Utility? Buffer?

I might say artificer for even more scrolls and wands like a wand of divine insight. Prepare the spell as well, using the wand when you run out. Cast it in the morning and keep recasting it every time you expend it (except during fights). Now you can consistently make ridiculous skill checks. Try to have at least 1 rank even in your secondary skills, unless they can be used untrained.

Gavinfoxx
2012-09-04, 04:08 PM
My example skillmonkey cleric is 32 point buy...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292794

docnessuno
2012-09-04, 04:26 PM
If it's an option you might consider going archivist with the academic priest feat, making you entirely Int-SAD for spellcasting.

With that setup you can go:
10 16 14 16 8 12

Str 10: Enough strenght to make use of your armor proficiency without your DM raising his eyebrow and checking your encumberance.
Dex 16: Good for a skillmonkey, and the perfect Dex to sit on a mithral full plate later on. Also helps out in the first level making you a decent xbow archer.
Con 14: NEVER dump Con.
Int 16: Skills, Casting, Knowledges.
Wis 8: High will and insane buffs means it's a safe dump.
Cha 12: Some social prowess is always good on skillmonkeys, plus more turn attempts when you PRC to acquire them.

silverwolfer
2012-09-04, 06:04 PM
Won't my Dc's still be based on Wis, if i took that feat?

docnessuno
2012-09-05, 04:45 AM
Won't my Dc's still be based on Wis, if i took that feat?

Archivists have the DC and max spell level set by Intelligence and the bonus spells set by Wisdom. The Academic priest feat switches the bonus spells (and max spell level, but that's redundant) to Int.

Note that archivist forgego domains and don't gain turn undead (altought that can be fixed with a PRC dip), but they do get a plethora of nice class features and can pick up any divine spells if they find a scroll. This means they can get theyr hands on domain spells, druid spells, discounted ones from semi-casters (paladin, bard, adept, divine bard, PRCs...)