PDA

View Full Version : Etherscope plot advice? :S

Scarey Nerd
2012-09-04, 05:27 AM
I don't know how many of you have played Etherscope, but it's a Steampunk/Cyberpunk setting set in 1984 in an alternative universe where the fifth state of matter, Ether, was discovered, and humanity now uses it as an almost Matrix like other world, a cross between the Matrix and the internet in Futurama. Except with Demons.

Anyway... I'm hoping some of you have played it, because I really need some help with a plot. What I have so far is thus:

A cybernaughtic implant manufacturer has called for test subjects for their new implant, and the PCs are all attending for various reasons. The implant is basically a Scope Jack (Lets you jack into the Matri Scope) but with an additional function: It lets you upload objects as programs directly, rather than having to write a program specifically. Hold a handgun and activate the implant, it writes a program based on the handgun, when you jack in you can access that program if you wish. What the subjects aren't told is how it works: It's actually a remote link to an artefact unearthed in Bolivia by a British expedition that looks to be Inca in origin (It's actually far, far older, it was built by the Lemurians, Etherscope's "fey").

After the surgery, as the players are unconscious, they each have a nightmare, a terrifying nightmare, based on their own experiences but includes a recurrent them, a person: A man with a cane and bowler hat, wearing an immaculate black suit. They don't know, but it's a Scope Agent, one of the mysterious creatures that seems to attack individuals seemingly at random, or at least with a pattern not evident to us.

Yes, I know it's very Matrix, but the amount the game rips from those films is startlingly, I couldn't help myself :smalltongue: From there, though, I'm at a bit of a loss, I can't think how to draw the players into a plot, or indeed a plot to draw them into... I know that the artefact has a knock on effect, it damages the wall between realities, and Scope Demons are leaking through. I know that that's the direction I want to go with, hopefully culminating with them either journeying to the Bolivian rainforest and destroying the artefact and saving the world, or getting there through the Scope and destroying its counterpart in the raw Etherscape.

Sorry about the length, but... yeah. Any suggestions? :smallsmile: