PDA

View Full Version : Magiconferencing - Or keeping your shady organization well connected

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-04, 05:39 AM
Had a bit of a bizarre idea, very costly to pull off but effectively creating an autonomous conferencing system, I could just custom build a magic item but rules-wrangling is more fun. I'm not sure entirely how to make it best work rules-wise but here goes:

Magiconferencing system:

A number of locations with an identical or near identical layout, probably best to have it as an O shaped table, in the middle there is a crystal ball and a creature

This is simply in essence, a chain of creatures scrying and relaying what they see and hear via major image. Creature A uses a Crystal ball to scry on creature B, it sees creature B and everything within 10' it then projects that around itself. creature B does the same with creature C, so now creature A can see creature B's surroundings, and the illusion of the surroundings of Creature C, the chain continues until the last creature in the chain scries on creature A so all surroundings are projected in all locations.

This chain of illusions ensures that all images being projected are the same and accurate, if one is altered for whatever reason then the change will quickly propagate around the chain, alerting the attendees that something is up.

Ideally the creature scrying and projecting should be mindless, either an undead or construct so it can't accidentally pass the will save on major Image, the main problem is how to get Major Image onto a mindless creature? I thought about a spellstitched skeleton with its wisdom boosted to 14 but then realised that was necromancy, conjuration or evocation only:smallannoyed: Are there any other templates that would grant major image or a 3rd level arcane spell?

SiuiS
2012-09-04, 05:42 AM
That's a fascinating idea. Could you perhaps set it up as a spell turret?

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-04, 06:52 AM
That's a fascinating idea. Could you perhaps set it up as a spell turret?

I don't think so, a spell turret can't really scry on anything to relay the information can it? Even mindless creatures can still see and hear things and should be able to use a crystal ball.

Actually thinking about it the creature doesn't really need to be mindless, as it could be argued that scrying on an illusion wouldn't really count as interacting with it so they won't get a save. In which case all we need is a bunch of 5th level wizards to cast the spell, I would have preferred undead or constructs as they can work 24/7 and you don't have to worry about eavesdropping or loyalty.

TuggyNE
2012-09-04, 02:22 PM
Actually thinking about it the creature doesn't really need to be mindless, as it could be argued that scrying on an illusion wouldn't really count as interacting with it so they won't get a save.

No need to worry about that, just have them concentrate on failing the save. Willing suspension of disbelief anyone?