PDA

View Full Version : Downtime

Mynxae
2012-09-04, 08:58 AM
Hey,

I had some downtime for about five-six hours during the usual maintenance tonight, instead of the usual half hour - hour I usually get. Why would this be? It kept coming up with the 'site is down for maintenance, try again in 30 minutes' thing every time I tried loading the site. :/

Elemental
2012-09-04, 09:06 AM
If you were simply refreshing the page, then that might be the issue.
My suggestion is you just close the tab and proceed to the Forums when maintenance is over.

Mynxae
2012-09-04, 10:07 AM
@^ I restarted my browser, closed and re-opened tabs, restarted my computer, it still kept coming up with the same message.

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-04, 01:53 PM
@^ I restarted my browser, closed and re-opened tabs, restarted my computer, it still kept coming up with the same message.

Perhaps Rawhide was doing glorious battle with a hoard of Server Gremlins at the time, and during a moment of righteous fury he charged down his foes and accidentally knocked a cable loose?

The site is a bit delicate, we know this. There was probably just a problem that needed fixing. If the site doesn't work, take that time to peruse some of the many other wonderful sites the internet has to offer, and just come back later.

Maxios
2012-09-04, 04:07 PM
I am TOTALLY making a picture of that in Inkscape right now!

And done!
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/maxios5/RawhidetheAwesome.png

Rawhide
2012-09-04, 06:17 PM
Hey,

I had some downtime for about five-six hours during the usual maintenance tonight, instead of the usual half hour - hour I usually get. Why would this be? It kept coming up with the 'site is down for maintenance, try again in 30 minutes' thing every time I tried loading the site. :/

How were you trying to reload the site? If you kept refreshing or opening the page telling you it was down, that's not going to work, as it has actually changed the URL and will thus always load that page.

If you were manually typing the URL in, did you try clearing your cache?

I am TOTALLY making a picture of that in Inkscape right now!

And done!
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/maxios5/RawhidetheAwesome.png

Awwww, where's my puppy?

Mynxae
2012-09-05, 06:51 AM
How were you trying to reload the site? If you kept refreshing or opening the page telling you it was down, that's not going to work, as it has actually changed the URL and will thus always load that page.

If you were manually typing the URL in, did you try clearing your cache?

I was refreshing it and when that didn't work, tried to type in the url manually, it still didn't work. :/ (also, as Ele just pointed out a possibility, I was not refreshing the forum backup page. I was refreshing www.giantitp.com/forums)

I didn't think of clearing my cache..

Mercenary Pen
2012-09-05, 12:52 PM
Awwww, where's my puppy?

For the sake of added drama and tension, lets say he's off to the left of the image shown, facing the other half of the horde.