PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Helping My DM With A Problem

Karoht
2012-09-04, 10:19 AM
My DM Jon is a bit of a junior DM really, but he's pretty decent.
In one of our longer running campaigns, we've recently hit level 17. After a few encounters which we completely trivialized, he sort of ran out of gas. Now, he might be out of story, or it could be that he no longer knows what to do with us.
Party:
Witch
Oracle (Life Mystery, Haunted)-Me
Wizard (Transmutation/Enchantment Focused)
Wizard (Illusion/Necromancy Focused)
Dwarf Shield Ranger
Gunslinger (DM PC)

I think his major issue comes with Mind Blank + Greater Invisibility. Pathfinder Mindblank is a touch different from 3.5 it seems, but he seems to be having difficulty locating us. Mind Blank makes one immune to quite a few things including some divinations it seems (I have not read the Mind Blank spell in great detail) and True Seeing is a Divination spell. At least I think this is one of the hitches.
We're also rocking 2 Wizards who can plane shift, I can plane shift, and we can go to the wizard's demiplane at almost any moment.
We can fully rest up at almost any time, we can engage/retreat at almost any time, and just about nothing seems to survive a surprise round.

So I was hoping to give him a few counters/pointers to try and throw at us, see if that jolts him back into continuing the game.

Any thoughts?

LTwerewolf
2012-09-04, 10:28 AM
Dispelling traps, Antimagic fields, blindsense, dimensional anchor, straight dispels, counterspells.

With blindsense and a dimensional anchor, you'd be stuck sitting there actually fighting them.

Alabenson
2012-09-04, 10:32 AM
While I'm not familiar with the changes made to the spell by Pathfinder, I will point out that there is some debate as to whether or not Mind Black negates True Seeing.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-04, 10:34 AM
mind blank (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mind-blank)

true seeing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/true-seeing)

As written in PF it does guard you from true seeing, and even specifies see invisible.

SimonMoon6
2012-09-04, 11:19 AM
Generally speaking, I find the best solution is to reverse the problem.

If I were the DM and I had difficulties, I'd switch it around and say, "Okay, there's a party that's JUST LIKE YOU. But they have an artifact that's going to destroy the planet (or kingdom or city or house or whatever) in a few days. Your job is to find them and stop them."

Then, I would note what clever tricks the PCs used against their dopplegangers. I would then take those tricks and apply them in future adventures. :)

Roguenewb
2012-09-04, 01:14 PM
High level high tier players are...hard. You need to start throwing fights 2 or 3 CRs above the party ECL (and thats monsters that are well cr-ed as opposed to way off). The reason is because each fight is probably going to be the only fight of the day. If it goes easily, they'll fight another one fight, but they have almost total control of fights per day, not the DM anymore.

After that, Dispels become a key part of high level D&D. Twin Greater Dispel Magic (any -1 reduction in metamagic will do it), should statistically strip all spells of any equal level foe. Hell, my dweomerkeeper spent basically all my level 8 slots on Quickened Greater Dispel Magic (Easy Metamagic). I used about 1 a round all day (but then again, my DM let me ready swift actions to counter). At level 17, you can easily go through a half dozen greater dispels easily enough. Some campaigns (mainly NPC driven ones instead of monsters) I can easily eat 15 a day.

They are shockingly good at dealing with persistomancers and such. It's also funny against people who have Polymorphed and walked into combat, and then poof, you're human again!

The Big Three Buffs are really annoying for DMs (Mind Blank, Freedom of Movement and Death Ward). It's hard to deal with players immune to 3/8ths of all spells in existence.

Karoht
2012-09-04, 01:34 PM
High level high tier players are...hard. You need to start throwing fights 2 or 3 CRs above the party ECL (and thats monsters that are well cr-ed as opposed to way off). The reason is because each fight is probably going to be the only fight of the day. If it goes easily, they'll fight another one fight, but they have almost total control of fights per day, not the DM anymore.

After that, Dispels become a key part of high level D&D. Twin Greater Dispel Magic (any -1 reduction in metamagic will do it), should statistically strip all spells of any equal level foe. Hell, my dweomerkeeper spent basically all my level 8 slots on Quickened Greater Dispel Magic (Easy Metamagic). I used about 1 a round all day (but then again, my DM let me ready swift actions to counter). At level 17, you can easily go through a half dozen greater dispels easily enough. Some campaigns (mainly NPC driven ones instead of monsters) I can easily eat 15 a day.

They are shockingly good at dealing with persistomancers and such. It's also funny against people who have Polymorphed and walked into combat, and then poof, you're human again!

The Big Three Buffs are really annoying for DMs (Mind Blank, Freedom of Movement and Death Ward). It's hard to deal with players immune to 3/8ths of all spells in existence.
Deathward, FoM, Blank, and Spell Immunity does take up rather a lot of the book.
We also all have wings for natural flight, so that reduces rather a lot of attack options he has. We each have an element that we are flat out immune to, and are likely to be highly resistant to the rest.

Oh, I forgot a party member, we also have a Monk.

Gamer Girl
2012-09-04, 06:09 PM
High level play can be fun, but also hard and also tricky. There are some things that can be done:

1. Go Beyond the Book. You won't find a Time Wraith on any page of any book, but it exists in My Game. They are undead temporal shades created by various Time gods to guard time. they are attracted to manipulations of time, spells like time spot. and they have cool and fun abilities.

2. Go around the book. Just look at what it says on the page and go around that. For example, note that Mind Blank only works vs divination devices and spells, as written it was no effect on supernatural abilities. Also note that it only blocks direct divination.

3. Low approach-MB might stop divination spells, but it does not stop sight. You can hire a spy to scout and find the targets. There are even plenty of ways to detect invisible creatures without divination.

4. Up the Fantasy. Make the multiverse more fantastic and not so mundane.

5. Go beyond the Rules. You say your group is immune to most damage types? How about Earth damage? Psychic damage? Or Temporal Damage?

Sucrose
2012-09-04, 11:24 PM
Another thing that might help is to make a few situations where the ten minute workday isn't an option, due to time constraints, if your wizard's demiplane doesn't have manipulated time. If it does, then resorting to San Dimas time, or creating issues within the demiplane itself somehow, might be useful.