PDA

View Full Version : Mafia-themed video games

Cikomyr
2012-09-04, 02:18 PM
I am in the middle of watching a Monk episode where Mr. Monk is working for the Mafia, and I got thinking about Mafia-themed games. Or actually, any Organized Crime-themed game.

I know of a 2004 game named "Gangland". I tried playing the demo at the time, but it kept crashing down on me. It was pretty fun for what I played.

I also heard of another 90s' game named "Mafia", I believe. Someone has other suggestions?!

And please, don't mention the Facebook's Mafia War. :smalltongue:

The_Jackal
2012-09-04, 02:39 PM
GTA (http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto/) in any of its incarnations is a splendid place to start, as is the Mafia (http://www.mafia2game.com/) series. They're cut from the same cloth, basically driving games with some gunplay mixed in. Mafia is definitely a less tongue-in-cheek title.

If you can stand the dated graphics, my personal favourite GTA issue is the utterly brilliant Vice City, borrowing on classic influences like Scarface and Miami Vice. This is worth playing just to appreciate the voice work alone, which is amazingly star-studded: Ray Liotta, William Fichtner, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, Danny Trejo, Gary Busey, Lee Majors, Debby Harry, Lawrence Taylor. And make sure to give a listen to the talk radio channels, they're basically a comedy reel, quite funny.

Cikomyr
2012-09-04, 02:50 PM
Oh, I know GTA. I should have mentionned them, indeed. But I always saw them more as action games themed with mafia flavors.

I wanted a bit more of a strategy game. I guess the wanky Saint Rows is a bit like it, but again, it's more of an action RPG game...

Damn, I am being difficult... :smalleek:

Cespenar
2012-09-04, 03:12 PM
There was a strategy game called Gangsters: Organized Crime back in '98, and it was fairly good, that is, if you could stomach clunky interfaces.

Maxios
2012-09-04, 03:15 PM
There's a few Godfather games which I hear are pretty awesome and hey, The Godfather

JSSheridan
2012-09-04, 03:33 PM
Mafia: The City of Lost Haven was released back in 2004.

It had a really great story. Controls and graphics were good at the time as well. I think it's available on Steam, and I recommend it.

Cikomyr
2012-09-04, 04:35 PM
City of Lost Haven? Is that a shooter? a RPG? a Strategy-game?

Maxios
2012-09-04, 04:40 PM
An action game similar to GTA, but serious. And with more Italian accents.

Bouregard
2012-09-05, 02:39 AM
City of Lost Haven? Is that a shooter? a RPG? a Strategy-game?

Shooter for the most part, but a very intelligent one and the story is just great.
It feels like The Godfather breaths down your neck the whole time. Really good characters too.

The game is for the most part shooting and driving, however the cutscenes and your allies make it look more like a interactive movie.

It's a game everyone has to play in my opinion. The second part, released last year, however is not as good as the old game. Still decent but the story feels a bit hollow.

Brother Oni
2012-09-05, 06:45 AM
There's a couple of Scarface games (The World Is Yours and Money. Power. Respect.) which got decent to mediocre scores on review.

I'm not sure what the first game is (I suspect a third person shooter), but Wikipedia reports the latter is a turned based strategy game.

Sipex
2012-09-05, 12:46 PM
From what I've seen, Godfather 2 sounds like your best bet (although I have to admit, I don't know Godfather 1 at all).

It's based on the Godfather 2 movie, which is pretty mafia in itself, but it's also a game about managing your businesses and crime rings and becoming the best Don there ever was.