PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magic Items on Familiars?

Vanvidum
2012-09-04, 02:24 PM
I've been toying with the idea of building up or enhancing a familiar rather than simply grabbing the Improved Familiar feat. In my current campaign, my character's raven familiar has a personality and interacts with the party, competing with one of them for shiny things, and bickering/mocking another for talking like he's 'just a bird'. Getting outwitted by 'just a bird' is a fine source of humor for everyone.

So I'd like to keep my familiar as a character. However... There is this nagging idea of turning him into a flying harbinger of death with permanent buffs, magic items, and so on. I'd love to have a raven familiar enlarged to the point that my wizard can ride him, for example.

But permanency aside, magic items would be necessary for those sorts of ongoing buffs. Problem is, I have no idea what the rules are or would be for an animal familiar wearing or benefiting from magic items. What sort of magic item slots would it have? What couldn't it benefit from?

If it helps, my wizard would be able to craft wondrous items specifically for his familiar at his current level, though rings will have to wait for the feat. This is all theoretical for me at the moment, but it'd be nice to have something to point to or ideas worked out that my DM can rule on (or amend) rather than putting all the onus on him.

Larpus
2012-09-04, 05:23 PM
I'm not quite sure if you're allowed to do that.

But a sort of answer might come in a similar question: do animal companions have magic item slots?

If the answer is also a negative, then it'll be an "ask your DM" deal.

Personally though, if I were to allow it (and animal companions don't have them), I'd throw in the same clause that Summoners have: sure your familiar can, but it shares your slots.

Cieyrin
2012-09-04, 07:06 PM
An old series of WotC articles that brought us the Wild Cohort also gave us animal magic item slots (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a). Scroll to the bottom, read and be enlightened. Savage Species and the Draconomicon also cover it somewhat, but you'll have to adapt the slots to your animal with your DM's assistance on what's fair game.

Vanvidum
2012-09-05, 10:21 AM
An old series of WotC articles that brought us the Wild Cohort also gave us animal magic item slots (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a). Scroll to the bottom, read and be enlightened. Savage Species and the Draconomicon also cover it somewhat, but you'll have to adapt the slots to your animal with your DM's assistance on what's fair game.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Granted, it's not for Pathfinder, but adapting it shouldn't be too hard.

Should also be useful for the party's ranger and his animal companion... When he gets a new one, anyway.