PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Dwarf (Gish build, WIP, PEACH)

RFLS
2012-09-04, 02:30 PM
Okay, I'm working on a gish build for a new-ish campaign. We're starting at level 6, so I can have some early levels that don't work too well. I'm interested in playing a dwarf with a draconic theme, specifically earth and fire based elemental powers. Here's the build I've got so far; I'll update it every few hours as it gets more fleshed out.

Warning: My op-fu is...minimal at best, and I occasionally miss really obvious things. I expect at least 1 massive mistake in this build.

Gold Dwarf
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0| Crusader 1

2nd|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Sorcerer 1

3rd|
+2|
+2|
+0|
+3| Sorcerer 2

4th|
+3|
+3|
+0|
+3| Crusader 2

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+3| Sorcerer 3

6th|
+4|
+6|
+1|
+5| Runesmith 1

7th|
+5|
+8|
+1|
+5| Jade Phoenix Mage 1

8th|
+6|
+9|
+1|
+5| Jade Phoenix Mage 2

9th|
+7|
+9|
+2|
+6| Jade Phoenix Mage 3

10th|
+8|
+10|
+2|
+6| Jade Phoenix Mage 4

11th|
+9|
+10|
+2|
+6| Jade Phoenix Mage 5

12th|
+10|
+11|
+3|
+7| Jade Phoenix Mage 6

13th|
+11|
+13|
+3|
+7| Deepstone Sentinel 1

14th|
+11|
+14|
+3|
+7| Deepstone Sentinel 2

15th|
+12|
+14|
+4|
+8| Deepstone Sentinel 3

16th|
+13|
+15|
+4|
+8| Deepstone Sentinel 4

17th|
+14|
+15|
+4|
+8| Jade Phoenix Mage 7

18th|
+15|
+16|
+4|
+8| Jade Phoenix Mage 8

19th|
+16|
+16|
+5|
+9| Jade Phoenix Mage 9

20th|
+17|
+17|
+5|
+9| Jade Phoenix Mage 10[/table]

Casting as a 12th level Sorcerer.
13 Maneuvers Known
6(3) Maneuvers Readied
4 Stances Known (Discounting bonus stances)

If I could, I'd like to get the JPM and the Deepstone Sentinel capstones in the same build, but that's impossible as far as I can tell. Obviously, I can swap levels around to get the JPM capstone instead of the Deepstone Sentinel capstone; that's not set in stone, so to speak.

Suggestions for feats, other PrCs, spells, and whatnot are more than welcome. Suggestions such as "play a cleric," or "play a {fullcaster}" are not- I'm playing an arcane gish, preferably with initiator levels, focused on Stone Dragon strikes and fiery casting. If there's a way to get more earth-based casting and focus on the Desert Wind discipline, I'd be open to that.

Sidenote- I've received special dispensation from the DM for Runesmith's ability to allow spontaneous casting. The fluff is that I scribe generic, powerful runes and draw the spell's structure from them.

RFLS
2012-09-04, 02:32 PM
On closer inspection, it makes more sense to take the 10th level of JPM instead of the 5th of Deepstone; I get 6th level spells that way.

eggs
2012-09-04, 02:51 PM
If the goal is to get both capstones by level 20, the trick is getting 9 Concentration ranks by level 5. (But it's probably not worth much if you're starting at ECL 6.)

If you don't want a book thrown at your head (or at least want it thrown gently), Primary Contact for a Religious Organization (see Cityscape) should do the trick.

If you're asking for suggestions on other classes and PrCs that could be useful, I'm always fond of Runesmith/JPMs. Runesmith is usually treated as a dip, but its level 3 and 5 abilities are also fantastic (prepare a Bite of the Werebear or Antimagic Field for your buddy the Barbarian or turn Greater Planar Binding into a viable combat option).

RFLS
2012-09-04, 03:41 PM
If the goal is to get both capstones by level 20, the trick is getting 9 Concentration ranks by level 5. (But it's probably not worth much if you're starting at ECL 6.)

If you don't want a book thrown at your head (or at least want it thrown gently), Primary Contact for a Religions Organization (see Cityscape) should do the trick.

If you're asking for suggestions on other classes and PrCs that could be useful, I'm always fond of Runesmith/JPMs. Runesmith is usually treated as a dip, but its level 3 and 5 abilities are also fantastic (prepare a Bite of the Werebear or Antimagic Field for your buddy the Barbarian or turn Greater Planar Binding into a viable combat option).

Aha! That's where it is. Hmm....that's a bit of a feat tax. I'll talk to the DM about it; he's pretty lenient if you're asking for fluff reasons. Runesmith+JPM does seem to go fairly well; I've already got the 1 level Runesmith dip at 6.

Apart from the obvious pyrokineticist, are there any fire or earth themed PrCs out there? Fire themed caster progression for preference.

Gwendol
2012-09-04, 03:42 PM
Races of Stone might have some earth related feats for consideration. My recollection of them is underwhelming though.

docnessuno
2012-09-04, 04:15 PM
Unless you really want to go deep stone sentinel i'd suggest you to ditch that PRC and substitute it with Abjurant champion. By postponing the last JPM levels you can still get 8th level manouvers, but you also get 8th level spells alongside the awesome abjurant champpion abilities. Also this build allows you to reach CL 20 with praticed spellcaster.

Build:
Crusader 2 / sorcerer 3 / Runesmith 1 / JPM 4 / Abjurant champion 4 / JPM +6
BAB 16, 8th level spells, one 5th level stance, one 6th level manouver, one 7th level manouver and one 8th level manouver

RFLS
2012-09-04, 10:08 PM
Races of Stone might have some earth related feats for consideration. My recollection of them is underwhelming though.

Just checked; good recommendation. Sadly, not as many as you might wish =/

Unless you really want to go deep stone sentinel i'd suggest you to ditch that PRC and substitute it with Abjurant champion. By postponing the last JPM levels you can still get 8th level manouvers, but you also get 8th level spells alongside the awesome abjurant champpion abilities. Also this build allows you to reach CL 20 with praticed spellcaster.

Build:
Crusader 2 / sorcerer 3 / Runesmith 1 / JPM 4 / Abjurant champion 4 / JPM +6
BAB 16, 8th level spells, one 5th level stance, one 6th level manouver, one 7th level manouver and one 8th level manouver

I do indeed really wish to go Deepstone Sentinel, or at least something of a similar flavor. Abjurant Champion is the obvious gish-in-a-can PrC; it completely lacks what I'm going after (earth/stone and fire based abilities).

I'm fairly convinced that Crusader 1/Sorcerer 2/Crusader 1/Sorcerer 1/Runesmith 1/JPM 6/Deepstone 4/JPM 4 is what I want to do, picking up both fire and earth based spells with my casting, and perhaps Energy Substitution for spells with effects I want that don't (by default) deal fire damage.

Anyone have suggestions for feats? Obviously, Scribe Scroll at 1 or 3, and Stone Power before level 13.

EDIT: Changed the chart at the top to match what I'm thinking right now.

RFLS
2012-09-05, 01:03 PM
Currently my feats list is Scribe Scroll, metamagic of some sort, Energy Substitution (fire), Stone Power or Power Attack (Leaning towards Stone Power; I can get bonuses to attack other ways). That leaves me with 3 open feat slots, assuming no flaws. Suggestions? Preferably thematically appropriate for the character.