PDA

View Full Version : [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.



Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

BlasTech
2013-01-19, 06:57 AM
Intra-group conversation seems to be slowing, shall we be underway?

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-19, 10:03 AM
Intra-group conversation seems to be slowing, shall we be underway?

Yeah, that was why I had Crown start packing up his tent. I'm alright with moving on.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-19, 06:10 PM
Sounds good to me.

Balmas
2013-01-19, 07:25 PM
Sounds good.

BlasTech
2013-01-20, 12:56 AM
Ravian?

He better not have forgotten about the RP because he's reading Wheel of Time :smalltongue: (That's my excuse for slow posting already!)

Balmas
2013-01-20, 03:02 AM
Ravian?

He better not have forgotten about the RP because he's reading Wheel of Time :smalltongue: (That's my excuse for slow posting already!)

It's not a good sign when the Dungeon Master forgets about his RP...

Maybe I ought to follow the crowd and see what Wheel of Time is about.

BlasTech
2013-01-20, 03:32 AM
I'm not forgetting about my RP, I'm researching source material! :smallwink:

Balmas
2013-01-20, 03:40 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6891439104/h73237D8C/

Ravian
2013-01-20, 09:45 PM
I'm here, tell me though what's this wheel of time about? I need another fanfic to read.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-20, 10:59 PM
Well for my part, I've been caught up in other RPGs. In particular, I just started a D&D campaign today and I'm feeling pretty RPG-ed out at the moment. I'll try to get a decent post up before I go to bed, though, but only after my head clears out.

Balmas
2013-01-21, 01:46 AM
I'm here, tell me though what's this wheel of time about? I need another fanfic to read.

My list of Fics that everypony should read:

Fallout: Equestria. Seriously, in my top three pony-fics ever.
Background Pony. At least, the first chapter. You don't have to read the 400K words of the rest of it.
Contraptionology. Engage that urge for mad science and background ponies!
Pony Psychology Series. An engaging look at just how dysfunctional these ponies are, deep inside.
The Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog. I know, it sounds weird, and it's got some vulgar language, but it's brilliant and funny.

BlasTech
2013-01-21, 04:31 AM
I'm here, tell me though what's this wheel of time about? I need another fanfic to read.

It's a book series, epic high fantasy. It's kind of like Lord of the Rings, good vs evil leading up to the last battle for the world kind of thing. I'd definitely recommend it, but only if you can stomach the slower pace of the writing and worldbuilding.

Seriously, it's pretty dang long. It's fourteen books in total. But the scope of the storytelling really pulls together the feel of an entire world at war. Three main characters, three main plotlines, scores of secondary ones, legions of tertiary, dozens of nations.

Anywhoo, I find it very hard to put down.

Balmas
2013-01-21, 05:53 AM
It's a book series, epic high fantasy. It's kind of like Lord of the Rings, good vs evil leading up to the last battle for the world kind of thing. I'd definitely recommend it, but only if you can stomach the slower pace of the writing and worldbuilding.

Seriously, it's pretty dang long. It's fourteen books in total. But the scope of the storytelling really pulls together the feel of an entire world at war. Three main characters, three main plotlines, scores of secondary ones, legions of tertiary, dozens of nations.

Anywhoo, I find it very hard to put down.

May I make a small request? Please don't give me more stuff that sounds super fun and interesting. Right now, I'm doing my best to work my way through the backlog of pony fiction. With the entirety of The End of Ponies, the Articles of Faith, Her Majesty's Wizard, and others all rotting in my Nook, eight paperbacks on the shelf, four more Clive Cussler books on a different bookshelf, plus six other novels on the third bookshelf...

...Yeah. I think I may actually read more on my college off-track than I do during my on-track.

Ah well, toss that on the pile of books to read.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-21, 12:53 PM
Ok, I wound up not posting before bed (obviously), but I can at least make the Repair check here so Grease has something to work off of in her next post.

Mind 5+ Repair 4 -4= 5
Roll of 4+5= 9

So she didn't pass.

BlasTech
2013-01-21, 03:35 PM
Even with another four points from mechanic, that wasn't enough. What a horrible horrible tradg--

I mean, carry on. Nothing at all going on here :smalltongue:

(Also, anyone recognise my new avvie? :smallbiggrin:)

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-21, 04:22 PM
I did indeed, and was about to comment on it. Hi, Iggy!

Now we get to see how long it takes before the sled crumbles...

BlasTech
2013-01-21, 11:57 PM
I'll do the scene change once Ravian posts or tomorrow, whatever's earlier. Unless anyone objects, of course.

Balmas
2013-01-22, 01:20 AM
I'll do the scene change once Ravian posts or tomorrow, whatever's earlier. Unless anyone objects, of course.

I imagine that there will be some conversation between the two colts during the travels, but I've no objection to skipping to where the plot demands.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-22, 08:16 AM
I imagine that there will be some conversation between the two colts during the travels, but I've no objection to skipping to where the plot demands.

Same with me.

BlasTech
2013-01-22, 05:45 PM
Gotcha.

Writing up the next post now. I'll skip to just ahead of the next obstacle so you have some time for IC conversation as you walk up to it.

Balmas
2013-01-22, 07:49 PM
I'm going to roll for energy here, so that I can properly write my post. If I recall correctly, you mentioned that we regained two energy for our night's sleep.

If so, the math works out to +7 current energy, -2 from pulling the stretcher for a total of +5. Not the best, but far from the worst. Slightly better than 50-50 odds.

[roll0]

EDIT: *blows a raspberry at the universe*

That drops my energy to four.

Balmas
2013-01-22, 07:57 PM
Wait, I get a second roll from Tireless!

[roll0]

Much better. Disregard the above post.

BlasTech
2013-01-22, 08:10 PM
I was about to mention that talent. Lucky DB :)

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-22, 08:51 PM
Aye, it was two points of Energy.

That puts Crown at 3 Energy, with a total of +1 to his roll from carrying the stretcher. Here goes nothing...

Energy: [roll0]

Crown Cork is at 0 Energy. Should I sideline him now, or when we get closer to the obstacle?

EDIT: Ah, crud. I could've spent either Willpower or XP to boost that save.

I'm not raising a fuss, as it seems a story/thematically appropriate failure.

BlasTech
2013-01-22, 09:22 PM
Hmm, I think it makes more sense for his energy to give out during the climb (assuming you guys end up choosing to climb the ridge, that is). At least that way you can roleplay him running out of steam so it's not like he just suddenly collapses while walking along flat ground. Also, it's far more dramatic if he swoons and potentially falls off the ridge, leading to someone else having to save him (of which DB or Soot would be best placed to react in time).

Plus, we did timeskip to just before the obstacle, so mechanically that makes sense too.

That sound good to you?

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-22, 09:35 PM
I suppose I'll put my roll here, too.

My roll is the same as Balmas's, sans the reroll. (Unless Strong applies, which I am not sure whether it did before or not.)

3+5=8

So unless she gets a reroll, Grease is at 5 Energy.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-22, 09:47 PM
Hmm, I think it makes more sense for his energy to give out during the climb (assuming you guys end up choosing to climb the ridge, that is). At least that way you can roleplay him running out of steam so it's not like he just suddenly collapses while walking along flat ground. Also, it's far more dramatic if he swoons and potentially falls off the ridge, leading to someone else having to save him (of which DB or Soot would be best placed to react in time).

Plus, we did timeskip to just before the obstacle, so mechanically that makes sense too.

That sound good to you?

Sounds good to me. More chance for interaction, plus I think I've got the proper visuals in mind for when it happens.

EDIT: Balmas, if you have something in mind, just ask. :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-01-22, 09:59 PM
Sounds good to me. More chance for interaction, plus I think I've got the proper visuals in mind for when it happens.

EDIT: Balmas, if you have something in mind, just ask. :smalltongue:

It would probably be more dramatic for him to collapse on the way up the ridge; it also forces a decision between saving the supplies and saving the minor annoyance who is, nevertheless, a pony.

And, you know, rapid decisions are DB's strong point. ^^

BlasTech
2013-01-22, 09:59 PM
I suppose I'll put my roll here, too.

My roll is the same as Balmas's, sans the reroll. (Unless Strong applies, which I am not sure whether it did before or not.)

3+5=8

So unless she gets a reroll, Grease is at 5 Energy.

Fraid not, for an endurance challenge, the appropriate talent is Tireless.


Sounds good to me. More chance for interaction, plus I think I've got the proper visuals in mind for when it happens.

EDIT: Balmas, if you have something in mind, just ask. :smalltongue:

Cool. :smallbiggrin:

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-23, 01:18 AM
Fraid not, for an endurance challenge, the appropriate talent is Tireless.



Cool. :smallbiggrin:

Figured. Oh, and because I can't numbers Grease is actually at 4 Energy.

Ravian
2013-01-23, 07:37 AM
If I remember correctly Soot hasn't lost any energy. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me
[roll0]
Well never mind then.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-23, 01:14 PM
Sorry for the super long delay in posting. Been very busy with some stuff that's popped up. I'll get a post up within the next few hours. :smallsigh:

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-24, 01:22 AM
I suppose I'll put the Mind check here.

18+7=25

For clarity's sake, what "stuff" is this check allowing us to notice?

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 02:06 AM
It's one of those tiered checks. Higher you get, more you notice sort of thing.

At 15, including the +2 bonus, you spot a faint light coming from between the dunes a bit away from the ridge line.

At 20, including the bonus, you can discern movement in the way the light and shadows play out on the faces of the dunes.

Higher outcomes past 25 omit the bonus due to the obviousness of the light at night.

Balmas
2013-01-24, 02:40 AM
I believe that the wary talent applies in this situation, correct?

[roll0]
[roll1]

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 03:30 AM
I believe that the wary talent applies in this situation, correct?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Yes, wary applies.

As do any other bonuses you can convince me of :smallwink:

Balmas
2013-01-24, 03:36 AM
Well, you know, DB is kind of hungry, so Home Cooking definitely applies. :smallbiggrin:

You know, I've noticed that I spend a lot of time and words in saying, "DB thinks a bit and then doesn't do anything."

There are certain difficulties in playing this kind of hesitant intellectual.

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 03:53 AM
Home Cooking?

Hmmm ... nah :smallbiggrin:

I should mention that the light is orange.

As to the hesitancy, I suspect learning that he sometimes has to [i]act[/] is a potential lesson for the future.

Balmas
2013-01-24, 05:36 AM
You'll note that I said difficult, not bad. I quite enjoy it.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-24, 11:48 AM
Roll to notice stuff: Mind 3 + 2 for lighting - 2 for exhaustion

Mind Check: [roll0]

See, now he rolls well. Cork never ceases to prioritize the relatively meaningless. :smallwink:

Ravian
2013-01-24, 01:36 PM
Mind 4+ 2 lighting

[roll0]
[roll1]

...And Soot is apparently too busy ranting about sand to focus on anything else...

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 05:29 PM
That puts Crown at 3 Energy, with a total of +1 to his roll from carrying the <snip>

Although this might disrupt some planned collapsing, but I was just checking through my notes and noticed that I had cork down as 4 energy at the start of today.

If so, he should be staggering along at 1 energy.

Balmas
2013-01-24, 10:20 PM
But... But... No swooning and collapsing? No heroic drop-the-sled grab-the-Cork action?

http://www.deviantart.com/download/268700880/sad_apple_bloom_2_by_mysticalpha-d4fz6xc.jpg

You make me sad.

Is that bad?

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-24, 10:57 PM
Although this might disrupt some planned collapsing, but I was just checking through my notes and noticed that I had cork down as 4 energy at the start of today.

If so, he should be staggering along at 1 energy.

Did you account for the fact that he lost the first round of Energy chicken last night?

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 11:51 PM
Did you account for the fact that he lost the first round of Energy chicken last night?

*slaps forehead*

No I didn't, carry on!

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-25, 12:14 AM
*slaps forehead*

No I didn't, carry on!

Right, just tell me when he runs dry. I'm not 100% sure when it should happen.

BlasTech
2013-01-25, 12:30 AM
Right, just tell me when he runs dry. I'm not 100% sure when it should happen.

Okay, well ahead down the ridge aways is a section where the path gets narrow, probably leading to a balance check of some sort, so unless you want to do it before then and claim vertigo, you can treat that check as a trigger for an auto-critical-fail.

Balmas
2013-01-25, 07:51 PM
Random thought: When the medic is away on a scouting mission would also be a good time to fall unconscious. :smallwink:

This is assuming that DB is sent to scout, of course. If we keep walking, disregard this message.

BlasTech
2013-01-25, 08:16 PM
Well, I'm sure you guys can figure out a game plan without the need for my input. :smalltongue:

That said, feel free to discuss things here.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-25, 11:25 PM
Hmm. That would actually fit with what I was thinking for Crown. He'd see no reason to push Rinda to disobey or modify orders - that'd be out of character with his views on leadership and authority - so sending Dive Bomb off to scout would be an acceptable compromise.

That, and I'd be amused to watch the other ponies attempt first aid without the medic on hoof. :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-01-26, 12:53 AM
I love it when Crown gets dramatic. It's so much fun to read your posts. ^^

With that said, I think it would be in character for DB to get the input of the others before flying off. As such, I'll wait for the others to post before doing anything.

BlasTech
2013-01-26, 04:48 PM
And there he goes :smalltongue:

Well, I'm feeling particularly evil this morning, does anyone have any objections to me doing evil things at evil times to poor Cork and co?

Speak now, or forever hold your peace ---- oh who am I kidding, I'm gonna do it anyway. :smallbiggrin:

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-26, 04:57 PM
All I'll say is not to make it too evil. I had a DM once where a nat 1 at the wrong time meant dramatic effects on the whole campaign. And in hindsight, that's a bit frustrating. On the other hand, these things should have some sort of penalty, so some bad stuff ain't bad.

I guess what I'm saying is to shoot for that balance of evil where it's evil, but not unfair. :smalltongue:

BlasTech
2013-01-26, 05:01 PM
Well, post is up, see where you think it lands on the scale of evilness. :smalltongue:

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-26, 05:14 PM
Ooooooh, that's some good evil right there. :smalltongue:

The key here (and with a lot of evil, I imagine) is that it's ultimately recoverable. We stand to lose time, some supplies, and a bit of Crown's Fortitude, but that all depends on our choices and actions. At worst it's bad enough to change the tone of this final day's hike, and at best it's still a hindrance. Either way, we still have a believable shot of reaching Sanctum City by sunup.

My only thought is this: Didn't Crown just unhook himself from the stretcher to go grab a bit of water? Or, in the landslip, did his hoof get entangled again?

BlasTech
2013-01-26, 05:20 PM
An unlucky, or lucky, stumble. At least they have something they can save him with.

Balmas
2013-01-26, 08:47 PM
I shall continue the noble tradition of making rolls here and writing accordingly.

Roll for I-Spy-Eyeing: +5 mind - 4 lighting rolled twice for Wary
[roll0]
[roll1]

The Part where we hope these griffons are of the dumb variety.
I think that I'd argue that Aerobatics applies somewhat, if he's trying to fly quietly. If it does, he gets an extra +5 to the roll below.

[roll2]

Ravian
2013-01-27, 12:08 AM
Oh god looks like Soot needs to save Cork from certain peril, what's her willpower at right now? I know she recently got some from kindness and her max is nine but I can't recall the current level and this seems the kind of thing where that and some exp would be necessary.

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 12:43 AM
I've got soot at 7 willpower.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 01:16 AM
I believe you mentioned that the top of the sand dune is around 25-ish feet from the ground, right?

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 01:36 AM
Yarp ?

Balmas
2013-01-27, 01:58 AM
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of damage a 25 foot fall would do; it all depends on how he lands, how big the supposed ponies are--three foot or five-ish at the shoulder--, and what the effects of the stretcher are.

The stretcher I can see either mitigating or exacerbating the fall; either it could slow down on the sand, or it could make it worse by landing on him.

Also, it depends not a little bit on how well he rolls. :smallbiggrin:

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 02:12 AM
Oh right, well lucky for Cork that although the Dune is about 25ft high from tip to toe, the immediate drop is not as far due to the slope.

In other words, painful, but not fatal.

Also, my next post will be delayed, sorry. The rolls are there though, unfortunately acrobatics doesn't really apply to the roll; it's more for stunts, speed and stability rather than stealth.

Also, the griffon will be relying more on sight than sound anywhoo.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 02:24 AM
Ah well. Now both Crown and DB are in interesting situations. ^^

Balmas
2013-01-27, 02:37 AM
Wait: where is the griffon camp relative to the party? It makes sense for it to be either north or south of their line of travel, if it was off to the side.

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 02:43 AM
South. About 300m away. Cork just toppled off the north face.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 03:35 AM
Very important to know which way to run when, as the spoony bard, you've found some new "friends" for the party.

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 04:23 AM
Post updated, curse you and your natural 20 making me have to do art. (Incidentally, sorry for the cruddy quality of the picture, I really need to get me one of those tablet-and-stylus setups if I want to draw more)

Balmas
2013-01-27, 05:29 AM
Post updated, curse you and your natural 20 making me have to do art. (Incidentally, sorry for the cruddy quality of the picture, I really need to get me one of those tablet-and-stylus setups if I want to draw more)

I do what I can. ^^ Also, a good (free) art program is Inkscape.

And, oh, you have no idea how tempted I am to pull an Odyssey reference. In fact, I think I'll do that. ...But DB is usually pretty honest. And he has no poker face to speak of.

I think that I've been telling myself that he's the party bard that part of that is beginning to rub off in how I want to play him.

Now, to go make up some creative 'traditional' pegasus exclamations. Post will probably come in the morning. Actually, it's up now. Changed my mind.

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 07:31 AM
Right, well, by bolting, DB has engaged cinematic mode.

There's a three-round flight race between him and Tarn (the scrawny griffon) to reach Rocky. There is also a two round delay before the other three griffon arrive at the ridgeline. Anyone who looks in the direction of the light will notice them, but I'd expect most people to be focused on Cork right now.

Here's the current status of all the PC's

DB is flying for his life
Soot has an action
Grease is unhooking herself from the harness?
Cork is regaining consciousness (as a free second wind, since he was still in narrative mode when he blacked out)

Finally ...

What do you mean by an Oddessy reference? :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-01-27, 11:08 AM
I was thinking about staying and trying to bluff that he's by himself, maybe call himself Nemo. :smallwink:

DB truly is shaping up to be the spoony bard of the group; the last time we got into cinematic, it was also because of Dive Bomb. :smallbiggrin:

"Cork!" Soot shouted as the ground gave away beneath her employer/friend, she grabbed at him with her telekinesis and pulled with all her might despite the unstable footing.
Mind 4 + Willpower 7 - footing 2 = 9
[roll0]
((whoo! Crit! What happens now?))



Critical successes are when things go so fortunately that it often makes the situation better in some way, and are explained in more detail later. Any Willpower spent is restored, as are any other assets which may have been consumed.

Quite a nice time to get a critical.

Were I to invest three XP on a situational bonus, how long does the "scene" last? Until cinematic disengages?

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-27, 01:28 PM
Two questions:

1) How come I get a free second wind? And what does that leave my Energy at?

2) Cork is waking up this current round, right? Waking up, but unable to take actions?

Balmas
2013-01-27, 03:58 PM
Right now, DB is attempting to lead away the griffons so that they don't notice / go after his friends on the ridge. When he sees that this initial attempt has failed, he'll probably attempt something a little risky: a midair fireworks ignition.

Now, I expect that this will probably impose a penalty on his opposed body/aerobatics roll, since he can't focus his entire attention on speeding away. Maybe 2-4 would be fair?

Alternatively, an aerobatics roll could be expected to pull something from his saddlebags.

Either way, it would probably take two or three turns to get it to go off; one to finagle the stuff out of the bag and get the sparkler to light, one to ignite the rocket and try not to get his face burnt off.

Thoughts?

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 04:22 PM
Ravian:

Mechanically, the effects of the critical mean you regain the point of spent willpower. (So you stay at 7WP).

Narratively, you'll have just single-hoofedly stopped both Cork and the Stretcher from falling off, as well as provided a big bonus to helping pull him back up next round.


Were I to invest three XP on a situational bonus, how long does the "scene" last? Until cinematic disengages?

Correct, or until about 20 minutes elapses.


Two questions:

1) How come I get a free second wind? And what does that leave my Energy at?

2) Cork is waking up this current round, right? Waking up, but unable to take actions?

1) You get a free one because the 'once per cinematic mode' rule for second winds and restoring faith doesnt apply here, since Cork zeroed out on energy prior to cinematic mode commencing. I thought it would be unfair to make him suffer simply because we'd delayed when he passed out.

Consequently, since neither Soot nor Cork are Loyal/Magic aligned, it's the lower of Body and Mind that's restored. Regardless of who you want to attribute the revive to, Cork is now at 2 energy.

2) Yes, this is correct. He can scream if he wants :smalltongue:


Right now, DB is attempting to lead away the griffons so that they don't notice / go after his friends on the ridge. When he sees that this initial attempt has failed, he'll probably attempt something a little risky: a midair fireworks ignition.

Now, I expect that this will probably impose a penalty on his opposed body/aerobatics roll, since he can't focus his entire attention on speeding away. Maybe 2-4 would be fair?

Alternatively, an aerobatics roll could be expected to pull something from his saddlebags.

Either way, it would probably take two or three turns to get it to go off; one to finagle the stuff out of the bag and get the sparkler to light, one to ignite the rocket and try not to get his face burnt off.

Thoughts?

Two rounds of flying to get it retrieved and then lit/tossed. (You're short circuiting the race effectively). There will be a moderate penalty to the flight rolls in that time, and if Tarn wins both rounds he'll catch you before you can toss it.

I'm inclined to ask for a seperate body roll to actually pull the thing out of your bags and not drop it too. It'd be low difficulty, but at a penalty. Essentially DB is trying to doing two things at once here.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 04:54 PM
2) Yes, this is correct. He can scream if he wants :smalltongue:

How very generous of you. :smalltongue:


Two rounds of flying to get it retrieved and then lit/tossed. (You're short circuiting the race effectively). There will be a moderate penalty to the flight rolls in that time, and if Tarn wins both rounds he'll catch you before you can toss it.

I'm inclined to ask for a seperate body roll to actually pull the thing out of your bags and not drop it too. It'd be low difficulty, but at a penalty. Essentially DB is trying to doing two things at once here.

Not entirely sure what you mean by short-circuiting the race, but okay. I'm going to be spending three XP to get the +6 situational bonus.

Rolling stuffs!
Opposed check: Body 3 + Aerobatics 5 + Situational Bonus 6=+14, minus whatever penalty is assessed for mid-air gymnastics.

[roll0]

Body check to retrieve a sparkler and a firework: Body 3 + Situational Bonus 6=+9, minus whatever penalty is assessed for flying.

[roll1]

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 05:07 PM
-2 penalty on each due to divided concentration.

Gonna have Tarn's roll up after your next post. Fun fact, Griffon are pretty strong fliers, even after my NPC nerf, due to not having access to weathercrafting.

DC on retrieving the item was 10.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 05:45 PM
Is there a roll to avoid blowing his face off? I believe that we agreed that Improvised Explosives would help him in making bombs, but not defusing them. Would it provide a bonus in lighting them? is there even a check for that?

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 06:01 PM
That'll be the check next round.

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 07:20 PM
Welp, gonna wait for OTS to make his post before I do anything further, but if it helps he can roll his "get out of the harness" action into whatever he does in the second round.

Balmas
2013-01-27, 08:29 PM
I can wait. I'm not always impatient to post. *hits f5 again on the other browser window* Usually, but not always.

Balmas
2013-01-28, 01:10 AM
So, what kind of check are we talking about? Mind? Body? Imp. Explosives?

For the purposes of getting the post out before I go to sleep, since I have to sleep before work, I'm assuming that it is the same kind of body check as before.

Rolling rolling rolling Rawhide
Fleeing: +14, same as before. Also, I'm glad I spend the extra point of XP, if the griffon has a +13 unaided in the sky. Sheesh; kind of makes me want to play a griffon character.

What did my keys just type? What are you doing to me?

Ahem. Roll.
[roll0]

Roll to avoid dropping the fireworks in the process of ignition: +3 body +6 situational bonus, same as before.

[roll1]

BlasTech
2013-01-28, 01:14 AM
It'd be a body/imp explosives check to light and toss it while flying. -2 penalty for distractions as before, but I think you rolled high enough to pass anyway.

Balmas
2013-01-28, 01:26 AM
Cool. Post should be up soon.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-28, 07:10 PM
If you're wondering why I haven't kept up with the OOC thread, it's because I've been convention-going this weekend and I only had the IC thread open on my phone. I don't think I missed anything important for my posts, except maybe needing a roll to get out of the harness.

Oh, and what art were you referring to?

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-28, 07:43 PM
Should I be posting next, or should I be waiting for the results of the rocket?

BlasTech
2013-01-28, 09:19 PM
Post is up, round three is a go.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-28, 09:39 PM
Rolling for Courage damage:

Courage 6 - 2 for oh dear gosh what the hay = 4 total
Roll: [roll0]

Crown continues to be unflappable.

EDIT: Question: Are they actively brandishing their weapons at us, or simply holding them ready?

BlasTech
2013-01-28, 09:46 PM
At the ready, although the sword is getting waved about a little right now.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-29, 01:42 AM
Grease's Courage check: (Courage is at 8)

5+8=13

Grease is surprised by the explosion but not frightened.

Balmas
2013-01-29, 02:12 AM
Heh. When I read Gunter's reaction, all I could think of was it being said in this accent. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=36lSzUMBJnc#t=56s)

BlasTech
2013-01-29, 05:10 PM
Heh. When I read Gunter's reaction, all I could think of was it being said in this accent. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=36lSzUMBJnc#t=56s)

Any similarities to TF2 classes amongst your opponents is completely coincidental and likely only a product of the fact that I've given them distinctive classes of their own.

That said, the scrawny guy is totes the scout. :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-01-29, 05:30 PM
That said, the scrawny guy is totes the scout. :smalltongue:

It must also surely be a coincidence that you sent the scout after the sober demoman? Great matchup, there. ^^'

Ravian
2013-01-29, 07:56 PM
If I recall corectly any courage Soot has lost has been regained by now, once more correct me if I'm wrong
[roll0]

BlasTech
2013-01-30, 04:53 AM
If I recall corectly any courage Soot has lost has been regained by now, once more correct me if I'm wrong
[roll0]

*checks notes*

Looks right to me.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-30, 09:15 AM
Rolling Courage:
6 Courage - 2 for shiny sword = +4 bonus
Roll:[roll0]

Crown is at 3 Courage

BlasTech
2013-01-30, 05:18 PM
Hmm, the big dillemma in my last post was weather to make the fight between DB and Tarn a contested roll, or a flat DC.

I went with flat DC in the end, similar to a monster attack. Slightly inconsistent with the racing I guess, but after I went and statted up these guys, I figured I might as well use it.

For reference, a contested roll DC to avoid the attack would've been at least;

[roll0]

EDIT: Oops, had to rejig the modifier to account for his injury.

Edit #2. Huh, Tarn is a pretty rubbish roller.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-30, 05:38 PM
Well, one obvious tactic strikes me: Dive Bomb is a pegasus, capable of blowing up winds. Griffons lack this capability. Furthermore, there is a ton of gritty, stinging sand all around them, just waiting to be blown into a hapless griffon's eyes. Made all the easier by the fact that he's too enraged to do anything but charge straight at him.

As for us in the party, I didn't quite expect us to distract them so easily. Any thoughts there? With the right spell from Soot, we may be able to disarm them and turn the tables on them.

*forgets which spells Soot has*

Balmas
2013-01-30, 06:19 PM
Well, one obvious tactic strikes me: Dive Bomb is a pegasus, capable of blowing up winds. Griffons lack this capability. Furthermore, there is a ton of gritty, stinging sand all around them, just waiting to be blown into a hapless griffon's eyes. Made all the easier by the fact that he's too enraged to do anything but charge straight at him.

As for us in the party, I didn't quite expect us to distract them so easily. Any thoughts there? With the right spell from Soot, we may be able to disarm them and turn the tables on them.

*forgets which spells Soot has*

In either situation, I was thinking of using shock-and-awe with something else.

That is a genius idea. I had two ideas, both of which capitalize on Tarn's speed and anger.

Idea one: wave the flare in his face, using the light to temporarily blind him. In effect, he's shining a light in his face to throw off his aim. It could also serve as a distraction so Tarn doesn't notice Dive Bomb subtly changing his position. See Idea two.

Idea two: position--retroactively if possible--DB with his back to Rocky. Then, jump out of the way at the last second and watch Tarn do an impression of a bird hitting a window. This has the nice side effect of possibly getting Rocky involved, though with whom it would side is perhaps a sticky bit.

Idea three: Wildly out of character, but fun to contemplate: Screw dodging! We're gonna go up there and shove a flare down his throat! We've already drawn first blood, men--er, ponies! Let's go up there and show how they do it in Cloudsdale! Clerics: CHAAAARGE!

Idea four, and probably the one I'd choose: combine ideas one and two, while apologizing for, you know, setting him on fire with an ill-aimed incendiary device.

If DB gets a penalty to avoid taking damage from an opponent's knife, would it be fair for the flare to grant a bonus for his roll to escape getting hit by the knife?

Also, if he's attempting to dodge at the last minute, I think that falls closely enough under stunts and flying tricks to have Aerobatics apply.

If both bonuses apply--I'm assuming something like +2 for blinding him with a flare or blowing sand in his eyes--then DB has a slightly better than even chance of dodging the knife.

(I think so, anyway. That's +6 exp +3 body +5 Aerobatics + 2? flare = +16, which means he'd dodge it on 12/20 rolls of the die. In other words, that's a 60% chance of success. This can be further bettered by using some willpower, though I'm not sure about that. I believe I'm at either six or seven, right now.)

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-30, 06:22 PM
Ooh, now I'm torn. Should Grease take advantage of this oppurtunity or not? It would be the ideal time to act. Though thinking about it more, she has been trying to avoid a direct conflict, or at least delay it until Rinda got there.

Ok, I've made up my mind (in the process of writing up this post). Grease isn't going to react until Soot casts her spell. It makes sense that Soot would be quicker on the draw, anyway. Since this is her plan and all.

I feel I should mention that I was considering rolling Courage to decide whether she would attack or not.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-30, 09:08 PM
Well, it seems that Grease is going for the physical approach. Motherly instincts kicking in, perhaps?

I assume that this is a Body roll with a decently high DC. I'll roll it here.
20+4=24

:smalleek:

:smallbiggrin:

I don't think I could have asked for a better time for a nat 20.
And I swear by the Royal Pony Sisters that I did not fudge that.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-30, 09:27 PM
This makes it a good day for all of us then, because-*foams at mouth*

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4125/crowncorkheadshot.png

Commision courtesy of this fine young lady (http://laceymod.tumblr.com/).

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-30, 09:59 PM
This makes it a good day for all of us then, because-*foams at mouth*

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4125/crowncorkheadshot.png

Commision courtesy of this fine young lady (http://laceymod.tumblr.com/).

Yay! It's Corky!

Coincidentally enough, I too have commissioned an art of my character. It's not done yet, but when it is you guys will be the first to know.

Ravian
2013-01-30, 10:03 PM
This makes it a good day for all of us then, because-*foams at mouth*

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4125/crowncorkheadshot.png

Commision courtesy of this fine young lady (http://laceymod.tumblr.com/).

Oh Sweet Celestia that's awesome...

Now the only question is who I can find to do Soot... suggestions?

BlasTech
2013-01-30, 11:17 PM
If DB gets a penalty to avoid taking damage from an opponent's knife, would it be fair for the flare to grant a bonus for his roll to escape getting hit by the knife?

If wielded as a weapon, the flare counts as an improvised tool, +1. Geo-effects are seperate.


This makes it a good day for all of us then, because-*foams at mouth*

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4125/crowncorkheadshot.png

Commision courtesy of this fine young lady (http://laceymod.tumblr.com/).

Hiya Corky!

That looks pretty sweet, as does Garion. The artist has a rather unique style for the ears and eyes.


Yay! It's Corky!

Coincidentally enough, I too have commissioned an art of my character. It's not done yet, but when it is you guys will be the first to know.

And when we're all done, we can commission a group photo! :smalltongue:


Oh Sweet Celestia that's awesome...

Now the only question is who I can find to do Soot... suggestions?

I'd say browse DA a bit and see if you find anyone whose art style you like who is open to comissions. I only got Iggy done because of one particular artist doing a commission drive.

Balmas
2013-01-30, 11:50 PM
This makes it a good day for all of us then, because-*foams at mouth*

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/4125/crowncorkheadshot.png

Commision courtesy of this fine young lady (http://laceymod.tumblr.com/).

Wow! I like. Somehow he seems more down to earth than I ever imagined him being, more relaxed than usual.

I commissioned a picture of Dive Bomb. Back in October. And reminded the artist a week ago. Still nothing. >.<


So, if I understand correctly, the flare grants a +1 to the dodge roll, for a total of +15. Dive Bomb will also spend a point of willpower to gain a +6 to the roll, for a total of +21.

[roll0]

EDIT: Almighty Dice god, I thank you for your mercy and marvel at your sense of humor.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 12:19 AM
Wow! I like. Somehow he seems more down to earth than I ever imagined him being, more relaxed than usual.

It's Cork in his element. He is the most important pony in the room, he knows it, and he's loving every minute of it.

@BlasTech: Crown will be trying to trip Gunter, figuring that the blunderbuss griffon wouldn't dare shoot into his allies. If he's opting for a low charge-headbutt at where he last figured his legs/ample gut was, what sort of roll would that be?

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 12:49 AM
Well, it'd probably be a body roll.

However, the griffon was hovering, and Cork was on his back last I recall? The chance of Cork catching him before he flies off is relatively low.

Heck, by all rights Grease shouldn't be able to hit a thing either, what with the darkness and everything, but a nat 20 is a nat 20.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 12:59 AM
Well, it'd probably be a body roll.

However, the griffon was hovering, and Cork was on his back last I recall? The chance of Cork catching him before he flies off is relatively low.

Heck, by all rights Grease shouldn't be able to hit a thing either, what with the darkness and everything, but a nat 20 is a nat 20.

Wait, seriously? I though they were on the ground this whole time. :smallconfused:

This is...going to change what I'm doing. And I may need to sleep on it now, except now I'll feel awful for holding up the action. Gah. :smallsigh:

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 01:08 AM
Roll me a 20 and I'll retcon him being in range for you too.


I commissioned a picture of Dive Bomb. Back in October. And reminded the artist a week ago. Still nothing. >.<


EDIT: Yeah, I actually commissioned a few pieces in November myself, helping out one of our fellow ponythreaders actually, but the artist has yet to get time for them. :smallfrown:

Also, you lucky lucky pegasus Dive Bomb. Good thing you piled on all those bonuses.

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-31, 01:12 AM
Huh. I thought they were on the ground, too. Grease wouldn't have charged in, otherwise. But I guess Leo was close to the ground?

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 01:21 AM
Huh. I thought they were on the ground, too. Grease wouldn't have charged in, otherwise. But I guess Leo was close to the ground?

For a nat 20, I'll play with the definition of "hovering". English language is wonderfully vague at times.

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 01:22 AM
Roll me a 20 and I'll retcon him being in range for you too.

Yeah...not gonna take that chance, shockingly enough. :smalltongue:

It makes tactical sense for them to not land, it just never really occurred to me that they stayed in the air. I'll get a quick edit-post up now, and spruce it up properly in the morning.

EDIT: And we're fixed. Crown will be hightailing it out of here, expecting the others to do the same.

Balmas
2013-01-31, 03:37 AM
Also, you lucky lucky pegasus Dive Bomb. Good thing you piled on all those bonuses.

I remember thinking, "Hah! With a +21, there's really no way that he'll get stabbed!"

The next thought, after pressing "Submit Reply" was, "You troll dice, you."

Balmas
2013-01-31, 09:44 AM
Courage 6 +6 exp= +12.

[roll0]

Balmas
2013-01-31, 12:43 PM
Beginning work on a new song about going forward! This one is going to be based off of A Modern Major General. Thing big, bouncy lyrics; as such, I think that Cork ought to be the main singer therein. Be back later with lyrics!

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 01:56 PM
On a random note about this round: Do you think it'd be a better bluff as is, or something more like, "Gunter, no! It's a trick! Dive, now!" I figure there are enough rocks around the area that it's a conceivable fib that something could be going on involving them, but I'm just not sure.

Balmas
2013-01-31, 02:48 PM
I think it works like it is. It's vague enough and urgent enough of a command to make them want to just obey the command.

On a side note, it's very difficult to find rhymes for entrepreneur.

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 03:31 PM
On a random note about this round: Do you think it'd be a better bluff as is, or something more like, "Gunter, no! It's a trick! Dive, now!" I figure there are enough rocks around the area that it's a conceivable fib that something could be going on involving them, but I'm just not sure.

Hmm

Soda Job counts, giving his voice the bark of command. Painter, skill or job, doesn't, emotional responses there are visual.

Can't see a politician benefiting from that skill when barking orders in a fight.

You get a +2 bonus due to the confusing situation. Unfortunately, Cork doesn't have any acting skills to throw his voice, so DC is 20.]

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 04:51 PM
I think it works like it is. It's vague enough and urgent enough of a command to make them want to just obey the command.

On a side note, it's very difficult to find rhymes for entrepreneur.

Pompadour? :smalltongue:


Hmm

Soda Job counts, giving his voice the bark of command. Painter, skill or job, doesn't, emotional responses there are visual.

Can't see a politician benefiting from that skill when barking orders in a fight.

You get a +2 bonus due to the confusing situation. Unfortunately, Cork doesn't have any acting skills to throw his voice, so DC is 20.]

Have I mentioned that you're good at rolling with the shenanigans we come up with? Because you are quite good at rolling with the shenanigans we come up with.

Two last important things: Does Charismatic apply for this? Because if it does, the Extra Talented trait I picked up gives me another little boost. And is it too late to spend Willpower on this roll?

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 05:01 PM
Charismatic applies. And I won't prevent people from using willpower on rolls. The only time it's too late is after you've rolled.

Good practice is to tell me you're going to use it before I announce the DC though :smalltongue:

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 05:11 PM
Charismatic applies. And I won't prevent people from using willpower on rolls. The only time it's too late is after you've rolled.

Good practice is to tell me you're going to use it before I announce the DC though :smalltongue:

Yeah, not gonna lie, I feel scummy using it now, because it takes it to an "auto-succeed unless you nat 1". That being said, this is the sort of situation where Crown would dig deep and give it his all, which is really what spending Willpower means to me. Those situations where your back is to the wall and you're at the end of your rope. That, and I still have to spend resources to get my chances up that high.

So in the future, I will try extra-hard to remember Willpower before asking for a DC, my apologies.

Rolling!
Mind 3 + Situational 2 + Soda Baron 2 + XP Bonus 5 + Extra Talented 1 + Willpower 7 = +20

Good grief am I blowing the bank on this roll. >.<

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

EDIT: You know what's the amusing part about all this? With those rolls, I would've had juuuuuust enough to meet the DC if I had spent no XP or Willpower on the roll.

The dice gods have been in rare good form as of late. :smalltongue:

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 05:16 PM
I'll say.

I set this encounter up to test you guys, but between all the XP and the Willpower and some freakish nat-20's, you're ploughing through it :smalltongue:

Or maybe I'm just lulling you into a false sense of security. :smallamused:

TheAmishPirate
2013-01-31, 05:36 PM
I'll say.

I set this encounter up to test you guys, but between all the XP and the Willpower and some freakish nat-20's, you're ploughing through it :smalltongue:

Or maybe I'm just lulling you into a false sense of security. :smallamused:

Arguably both. :smalltongue:

One Tin Soldier
2013-01-31, 08:24 PM
So to be clear, am I rolling Body or Fortitude to avoid damage? It's not clear.

Well in any case, I'll make the roll now. Body is 4 and current Fortitude is 6.

Roll is... a 2.

Very funny, dice gods.

Either way, Grease is getting hit.

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 10:44 PM
Normally it's fortitude to avoid the damage.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-01, 01:58 AM
I just wasn't sure, since it could have been fluffed as dodging the blow. It mattered even less than I thought since she was actually only at 4 Fortitude. Now she's at 2. :smalleek:

Balmas
2013-02-01, 02:42 AM
Wait, when did she take fortitude damage before this?

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-01, 08:41 AM
Wait, when did she take fortitude damage before this?

During the fight with Rocky. There was no mention of healing that overnight, just the Energy.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-01, 04:10 PM
I'm currently stumped as to what Cork might do this round, so I may be a bit delayed in my actions. He's no combat fellow, and I don't think the same vein of trick will work twice in a row. The best I've thought of so far was to have Crown pull a Brier Rabbit and plead the big, bad griffon not to chuck his sword at him, then immediately dodge.

Balmas
2013-02-01, 09:12 PM
I suggest you be sure of your ability to dodge, or we'll have a nice case of shish-ka-Cork.

Er. Crown-ka-bob?

Ravian
2013-02-02, 12:32 AM
Rolling Soot's body check for the tackle

[roll0]
:smalleek: ...crap
This is not going to end well...

Balmas
2013-02-02, 02:10 AM
Ouch. I'm sorry, Ravian, but this is probably going to suck.


And what's more, now I need to review my character sheet and those five words and decide what the true in-character action would be.

Motivation rant
On the one hoof, it makes sense to defend himself. After all, he's just tried to defuse the situation, and it failed. Falling under Principles, his morality has been satisfied. He's done something to peacefully resolve the situation.

However, has he done all he can? The more important question, can he afford to do more? Looking at it from a meta perspective, we know that one more hit is likely to bring him down.

On the other hoof, we find a quiet, apprehensive, insecure and inexperienced pegasus, unsure of what he's doing. This is new ground, and he's got no frame of reference.

Straying from the 25 words a bit, we come to his history and desires. He's generally a good guy, with a bit of a stubborn streak when he's focused or angry.

He's angry right now. He dislikes being touched at all, and this certainly counts as a bit more than that. Is he angry enough to disregard what he normally wants?

As a result of being somewhat sheltered by his older brother, he's got little experience in standing up to bullies; he's never gotten into a fight. As a result, I find it hard to imagine him actually fighting back wholeheartedly--or at all--unless he's absolutely sure that there's no other option.

I suppose at the core of it is the question: could Dive Bomb bring himself to willingly hurt someone else? To stare into those eyes, see violence, and respond with violence to protect himself? To say, "Yes, you're a sentient being; in a moment, I'm going to turn you into a sentient being doing a remarkable impression of a roast chicken."

Gah. I feel like he'd only do something like that if he were desperate. Even then, when things had quieted down, he'd want to find a quiet corner to be by himself and reproach himself for it until it had been repressed to a bearable level.

TL:DR Not sure whether DB can bring himself to willingly hurt another. Much angst.

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 02:17 AM
Ouch. No, not a good time for a dramatic failure.

Well, it's definitely going to have some negative consequence, so I'll let you have your pick from the wheel of doom. In order from least to most dramatic.

Soot hits Gunter's body, which is surprisingly solid. Taking some fort damage and shorting out her darkness field. This may then lead to an attack by Gunter next round.

Soot hits Gunter's sword, resulting in some fort damage and blood(!). Darkness field stays up, allowing her to limp away. I'm thinking a glancing hit only, not a Soot-ka-bob.

Soot trips, misses and ends up falling off the ridge. Leading to fort damage and taking her out of the fight for a bit.

Id be partial to option 2, mostly because its the most dramatic, but it's your character so I'd like some input. I'm also open to any other suggestions for a dramatic failure outcome.

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 02:25 AM
TL:DR Not sure whether DB can bring himself to willingly hurt another. Much angst.

Let DB do what DB would do. That's my only advice.

Also, I think angst means I'm doing my job right? Score!

Balmas
2013-02-02, 02:52 AM
Let DB do what DB would do. That's my only advice.

Also, I think angst means I'm doing my job right? Score!

Your quiet sympathy and sage words of advice mean a great deal to me, and I thank you for your kindness. :smalltongue:

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-02, 09:03 AM
Ouch. I think our DM spoke a little too soon about how well we were doing in this encounter. I think the take-away here is that our party is really not built for combat. :smalltongue:

On the Mind check, would my Painter Job apply for picking out details? I seem to remember finagling that bonus before.

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 02:44 PM
Yeah. Job, but not skill.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-02, 03:25 PM
Rolling away!
Mind 3 + Painter 3 + 5 Temporary bonus - 2 Nighttime, rolling twice because Cork can think of Creative hiding spots and that totally counts for his Creative Talent right guys? = +9
Mind Check: [roll0]

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 05:02 PM
*checks notes*

that'll net you a hiding place and one improvised weapon.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-02, 05:26 PM
I'll roll my listen check here and just reserve it for when I do post, since I'm honestly not sure what Grease can do at the moment.

Mind 5 - 2
1+3=4

Nat 1. Great. Well, Grease is thoroughly disoriented.

Incidentally, about a week ago I lost my dice set, so I just went and got a new one. This was the first roll I have ever made with that die. This concerns me.

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 05:27 PM
Should've pre-rolled the 1's out of it. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0099.html)

EDIT: Anyway, with a dramatic failure there, be prepared to misidentify people.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-02, 05:39 PM
Man, this is just not our round by any means, is it?

Ravian
2013-02-02, 05:44 PM
I think Soot's going to just miss entirely and just roll down the hill. Rather not get hit by a sword or lose the Light's out right now.

BlasTech
2013-02-02, 05:49 PM
I think Soot's going to just miss entirely and just roll down the hill. Rather not get hit by a sword or lose the Light's out right now.

Okie dokie. Have a nice flight! :smallbiggrin:

Balmas
2013-02-02, 05:50 PM
I shall refrain from pondering the sudden dearth of good numbers; after all, Chance is an illusion sustained by those who hope to cheat the system and those who know how to work it.

With that said, I think I'll go begin some faux-latin chanting and tumbling dice around in a cup as a... let's call it a devotional of sorts.

Ravian
2013-02-02, 09:28 PM
I am now reminded of how the players in the home game I DM all avoid one of the d20s like the plague. They are convinced that it exists only as a tool of the DM and will smite their characters if they ever attempt to roll it.

Still managed to hand it to them causually when they need to roll for something, only realizing after the fact that they have rolled it.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-03, 03:04 AM
Oh, I have way too much fun playing up dice superstitions. Although one of my characters does get screwed over way too often by poor dice rolls for me to be entirely joking about it.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 06:03 AM
I tend to use online dice rollers alot, but I'm convinced one particular website is weighted towards rolling lower numbers, even though it should all be theoretically random due to being software determined.

Anyway, I've got to get back to looking up the thesaurus for synonyms of "painful", should have enough of them ready by the time Grease and Soot's next posts are up. :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-02-03, 10:42 AM
Out of curiosity, what dice superstitions do you have? Any useful tricks to getting that lucky crit?

For me, I have three or four sets of dice. When first we sit down to the table, I roll the D20s from each three times, and use the set that has the best average result. Then, before each use, I rub the top number clockwise seven times and set them up in order of size along the board, with the top number facing up.

Not superstitious at all. :smalltongue:

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-03, 09:08 PM
In terms of things I actually do? Well recently I've taken to the habit of keeping the dice from rolling until I'm actually rolling "for real." I usually place them with the 20 facing up. (Or the 10 for when I'm playing World of Darkness.) Either that or a 1, depending on which superstition I'm favoring that day.
Though like I said, some of my games/characters just seem to be cursed. My Werewolf in particular consistently fails rolls that he should pass easily. To the point where he has a reputation in his pack for being unreliable, even though he should be pretty competent.

I also like for all of my dice to have the same general color scheme, though that's less of a superstition and more of a way to easily identify which dice are mine.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 10:40 PM
That awkward moment when you realize your character hasn't been speaking with their accent.

Balmas
2013-02-03, 11:28 PM
That awkward moment when you realize your character hasn't been speaking with their accent.

I was going to say! The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps he'd hit his beak too hard on Rocky and lost a few teeth.

What's the process for an attack roll? It doesn't even have to be accurate; all I want is to splash him with the alcohol.

...I just realized what you meant when you said that he was the scout. My mental image has been amended to include an earpiece and an attitude.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 11:33 PM
So DB is tossing his bottle?:smalltongue:

Well if DB is doing that you can either make the roll ic and ill tell you the dc and results in my next post, or we can discuss bonuses/penalties here first and you can then incorporate the outcomes in your next ic post.

Balmas
2013-02-03, 11:37 PM
More like splashing it. Think of it like tossing wine on someone's shirtfront, or throwing it into an obnoxious waiter's face.

I assume it's a Body roll.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 11:40 PM
Yup. The griffon is still a few meters away so tossing the contents accurately would involve a body roll.

Balmas
2013-02-03, 11:42 PM
Wait, a few meters? I'd assumed he was still in arm's reach, if he'd gotten close enough to punch earlier.

Maybe tossing it grenade-style would actually work better, then.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 11:49 PM
He didnt pursue when DB fell over, so there's a bit of space between them again.

Balmas
2013-02-04, 12:03 AM
Well, whether or not he hits will influence what he says, so I'll probably roll here.

From what I can see, we have +3 Body, +6 situational bonus, +1 for improvised tool. Can't think of any benefits from skills.

Balmas
2013-02-04, 12:17 AM
Now, the moment of truth!

[roll0]

Just need to know whether it hits, and to what degree.

BlasTech
2013-02-04, 12:32 AM
Well, whether or not he hits will influence what he says, so I'll probably roll here.

From what I can see, we have +3 Body, +6 situational bonus, +1 for improvised tool. Can't think of any benefits from skills.

Yeah, unless you were going to spend willpower or anything. Once I start telling you penalties and DC it's too late to alter the bonuses you bring to the table.


Now, the moment of truth!

[roll0]

Just need to know whether it hits, and to what degree.

Speaking of which ... DC was 25. Tarn was waiting for the toss, ready to dodge.

24 makes for a partial success, so you catch his tailfeathers but not his body proper.

Balmas
2013-02-04, 12:36 AM
Fair enough. Posting now.

BlasTech
2013-02-04, 06:46 AM
Well, I clearly need to play more physical dice rolling games, since the only superstition is regarding how I toss it.

Unrelated: anyone else appreciate the irony that Soot just fell off more or less the same cliff she saved Cork from?

I should probably stop rubbing it in :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-02-04, 07:52 AM
...I hadn't, until you pointed it out. Thank you for that. :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-02-05, 03:29 AM
Congratulations, Principles! You've been chosen from a list of five words to represent our character tonight! How do you feel?

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself! Even if the action gets us shot, it's the right thing to do!

Awkward? Inquisitive? Reserved? What have you to say?

...
...
...
Anything?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 10:53 AM
Dang. That is some good character post right there. Good job!

In other news, Crown continues his efforts of trying to beat the campaign solely through Art. :smallbiggrin:

Balmas
2013-02-05, 02:17 PM
And we continue to watch it work.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 02:25 PM
And we continue to watch it work.

When all you've got is a paintbrush, the world is full of empty canvases.

This fact will not, however, satisfy your traveling partners when they ask why you painted their faces in their sleep.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 03:44 PM
Welp, this just isn't Soot's encounter, is it? :I

Maybe Soot can get a re-roll if that was the incorrect check? [/falsehopes]

Ravian
2013-02-05, 03:50 PM
Welp, this just isn't Soot's encounter, is it? :I

Maybe Soot can get a re-roll if that was the incorrect check? [/falsehopes]

Can't see how climbing up a slope is anything but a body check...

I think the lesson that we need to learn here is that Soot should focus more on subtlety and magic and just leave the badflank ninja stuff to umm...

Who here can actually fight? http://i.imgur.com/cUkh2.png

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 04:22 PM
I think the lesson that we need to learn here is that Soot should focus more on subtlety and magic and just leave the badflank ninja stuff to umm...

Who here can actually fight? http://i.imgur.com/cUkh2.png

The other lesson here is that none of us PCs can actually fight. :smalltongue:

BlasTech
2013-02-05, 04:26 PM
I think that is the pertinent lesson :smalltongue:

Grease is really the only one with natural fighting prowess due to her strength. The good news is that any of you who have dealt or received fort damage from fighting in this encounter would be eligible to put some Xp in a brawling skill or something similar after tonight.

Assuming you all survive of course. :smallwink:

Ravian
2013-02-05, 04:33 PM
Maybe Soot should look into some sort of battle spell, I mean I originally planned to use the shrouded sight spell for fights but now something more direct seems more appealing.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 04:41 PM
I just might have Cork put some ranks into some sort of feinting skill, or perhaps something to help command in the heat of combat/other such tense and quick situations. He doesn't strike me as the sort who would take up brawling, even after being in a fight.

BlasTech
2013-02-05, 05:13 PM
Maybe Soot should look into some sort of battle spell, I mean I originally planned to use the shrouded sight spell for fights but now something more direct seems more appealing.

Yeah, we can possibly workshop a spell of some kind; have a look over the aspects lists and come up with some ideas for effects.


I just might have Cork put some ranks into some sort of feinting skill, or perhaps something to help command in the heat of combat/other such tense and quick situations. He doesn't strike me as the sort who would take up brawling, even after being in a fight.

Not even to impress his sweetiekins? :smalltongue:

Sorry, I just have this image of Cork with a lassoo, must be the AJ in him.

Anyway, that's fine too. Don't forget that there's always alternatives to fighting, even when the scene seems to naturally call for it like this one.

Maybe what he really needs is to brush up on his running and endurance skills

Balmas
2013-02-05, 06:55 PM
I think that is the pertinent lesson :smalltongue:

Grease is really the only one with natural fighting prowess due to her strength. The good news is that any of you who have dealt or received fort damage from fighting in this encounter would be eligible to put some Xp in a brawling skill or something similar after tonight.

Assuming you all survive of course. :smallwink:

Well, Dive Bomb might qualify as the secondary fighter, if it weren't for two things: he's rather squishy, and he seems to be progressing rather rapidly down the pacifist's road.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-05, 08:31 PM
Not even to impress his sweetiekins? :smalltongue:

...fellow party members? Take heed, for BlasTech has stumbled into the greatest way to get Crown to do anything ever; invoke the sweetiekins.

Seriously, if she asked him to take up wrestling because she felt unsafe, he'd do it. This would probably be after he hired personal bodyguards and she finally hammered it through his thick skull that she wanted to know he was capable of defending himself, of course.


Sorry, I just have this image of Cork with a lassoo, must be the AJ in him.

It would be a tad bizzare if she asked him to take up the rope for self-defense, but he'd probably do that too. :smalltongue:


Anyway, that's fine too. Don't forget that there's always alternatives to fighting, even when the scene seems to naturally call for it like this one.

Crown's build pretty much relies on alternatives to fighting. It just so happens that most of those alternatives involve art in some way. I will note that if he continues successfully solving his problems with his brush and pen, then that will start having an effect on his character/personality.


Maybe what he really needs is to brush up on his running and endurance skills

I have no idea how you'd draw such a conclusion. :smallwink:

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-05, 08:53 PM
So to clarify, can Grease see Harrin? The post implied that she could, but I wanted to make sure.

BlasTech
2013-02-05, 09:01 PM
Yes she can, I'm assuming the darkness field only makes it pitch black beyond a short distance, Ravian can correct me if this is too unfair.

But I figure it has to allow ponies to see where they are and a short distance around them, otherwise it's going to be a blinding spell on anyone in an area, which is a bit overkillish.

Balmas
2013-02-05, 10:01 PM
...fellow party members? Take heed, for BlasTech has stumbled into the greatest way to get Crown to do anything ever; invoke the sweetiekins.

Now we just have to find out about her!


I have no idea how you'd draw such a conclusion. :smallwink:

Eh, puns have been a bit drawn out in humor. Such displays show a somewhat sketchy sense of humor.



Do you ever worry about making characters look too good? I feel that Dive Bomb has developed a kind of saintly vibe; I mean, a pacifistic healer, wants to perfect the world, and who refuses to defend himself against a foe who's repeatedly threatened his life?

Maybe I need to play up the insecurity more, show his weaknessses more.

BlasTech
2013-02-05, 10:40 PM
Do you ever worry about making characters look too good? I feel that Dive Bomb has developed a kind of saintly vibe; I mean, a pacifistic healer, wants to perfect the world, and who refuses to defend himself against a foe who's repeatedly threatened his life?

Maybe I need to play up the insecurity more, show his weaknessses more.

For a messanic character, he sure gets everyone beaten up alot :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-02-05, 11:18 PM
For a messanic character, he sure gets everyone beaten up alot :smalltongue:

Fair enough. :smallbiggrin:

From Handel's The Spoony Bard comes The Curiosity Chorus

(to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus)
Hoooooly Cra-ap!
Hooooooly Cra-ap!
There's a monster!
And it's scary!
It's time to lead it home!

Shiiiiiny Button!
Preeeess the button!
Gonna find out
what it does
And then we get to run!

BlasTech
2013-02-06, 04:08 AM
Hey, looks like you guys aren't the only ones who can roll dramatic failures! :smalleek:

Balmas
2013-02-06, 04:40 AM
...Critical failures are good. I like critical failures.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just quietly scream incoherently in the corner before collapsing from nerves. Cheerio!

ASDFLKJ: ERHMAHGERD I CAN"T BELIEVE THAT WORKED:LKDFS *thump*

Balmas
2013-02-07, 10:00 AM
I am so happy right now.

Three dollar commission from the mod of Ask Pitch Patch.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/9f633574bcd066a016912b4843ce0ddd/tumblr_mhrhjro6ya1rz2yv5o1_1280.png

In retrospect, I should have perhaps given her a reference image that didn't obscure his cutie mark with a wing. Still, *squeeee*.

BlasTech
2013-02-07, 03:22 PM
Oh cool ^^

Now you just have to colour it! :D

Anyway, post will be up in a few hours. Just woke up and got a couple of things on this morning unfortunately.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-07, 06:30 PM
Drat. Well, it's the argument Cork would make, and if the ambassador is unconvinced, then I shall have great fun with dropping Cork's opinion of the old bird. :smallamused:

Mind 3 + Extra Talented 1 - 2 for Poorly received argument = +2

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

Aaaaaaaaaand I'm so sorry everypony for stealing all the luck I had no way of knowing auuuuuugh

BlasTech
2013-02-07, 07:18 PM
I find it somewhat amusing that the most dangerous foe our party has faced tonight is the sandy cliffside. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously; it nearly got Cork, it took out Soot, and now it's going after Grease. :smalleek: It's like an all-consuming sandy pit of doom.

EDIT: After tonight, I suspect that ponies are part lemmings.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-07, 09:59 PM
The pit is actually a Sarlaac in disguise. It is the only explanation.

I'll make the Body roll here. And I think I'll actually spend Willpower on this, since I have enough of it to make a difference, and Grease only has 1 point of Fortitude remaining.

Body 4 + Willpower 9 - 2
(Come on, new d20, don't fail me now)
4+11=15

Ok, that's twice in a row now that I have just made the DC on a check. I think my new dice are just trolls.

EDIT: Also, I am assuming that it was Rinda who grabbed Grease? I will correct my post if I am wrong.

Ravian
2013-02-07, 10:23 PM
Well glad Soot got out of there then, that could have been messy.

BlasTech
2013-02-07, 10:24 PM
EDIT: Also, I am assuming that it was Rinda who grabbed Grease? I will correct my post if I am wrong.

It was Iggy.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-07, 11:26 PM
It was Iggy.

Oh, I thought it was a gryphon. Changes away!

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-08, 12:40 AM
You know, I also just realized that we have well and truly split the party. Quite thoroughly.

Oh, we are so doomed.

BlasTech
2013-02-08, 01:10 AM
You know, I also just realized that we have well and truly split the party. Quite thoroughly.

Oh, we are so doomed.

Split and on 1 Fortitude each.

It's like Christmas came early! :smallbiggrin:

Balmas
2013-02-08, 05:43 AM
Split and on 1 Fortitude each.

It's like Christmas came early! :smallbiggrin:

Three fortitude, thanks.

So we have the expert, the rogue, and the maybe-artificer split up from the bard. How to rectify this? Hopefully, in the five or six rounds it takes for him to get back, nobody will have killed another yet.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-08, 07:03 PM
So I find it somewhat amusing/interesting that the Scout of the group seems to have a Cockney accent, not a Boston one.

BlasTech
2013-02-09, 02:21 AM
So I find it somewhat amusing/interesting that the Scout of the group seems to have a Cockney accent, not a Boston one.

I've been practicing accents with these guys, so the fact that you were able (sorta) recognise it makes me quite happy :smallbiggrin:

No idea if you can pick the other two.

Balmas
2013-02-09, 04:44 AM
You know, I could swear that there used to be an OTS post between myself and Amish. Am I hallucinating?

BlasTech
2013-02-09, 09:11 PM
No idea, here's hoping the forum didn't just eat it. :smallconfused:

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-10, 11:55 AM
Question about this round's actions: Since Cork was holding onto the rock, preparing to throw it, could that count as a sort of readied action? I'd like for him to chuck the rock at Harrin, then pick up the stick and charge him to ensure he doesn't get a shot off, and I want to know how much Cork can do this round.

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-10, 12:49 PM
You know, I could swear that there used to be an OTS post between myself and Amish. Am I hallucinating?


No idea, here's hoping the forum didn't just eat it. :smallconfused:

Do you mean from last night/this morning? At the top of the current page? Because I can still see it fine.

The forum appears to have put it after Amish's post, despite the fact that it is timestamped earlier.

BlasTech
2013-02-10, 04:22 PM
Question about this round's actions: Since Cork was holding onto the rock, preparing to throw it, could that count as a sort of readied action? I'd like for him to chuck the rock at Harrin, then pick up the stick and charge him to ensure he doesn't get a shot off, and I want to know how much Cork can do this round.

One action per post please, adding "if" conditionals in a single roll can make things messy. Two posts might be viable in one round in some circumstances (such as to represent the outcomes of two rounds of work).

Here though, the timing of them leaving the bubble is such that it doesn't make much sense to resolve both throw and charge at once. Cork could break cover once Gunter passes and toss his rock as he runs at Harrin, but the outcome of the charge would need to wait for the next.

TL:DR : readied or not, Cork is not the Flash :smalltongue:

Balmas
2013-02-10, 06:25 PM
Gosh dang it.... We're not even going to have to pretend that the griffons beat us.


...

I mean, because I have total faith in you, and you're going to trounce the armed, trained griffons with your one fortitude each.

Yeah. That's totes what I mean.


So, what do I do for the three posts it will take to get there? Just narrate flying?

BlasTech
2013-02-10, 06:30 PM
For now, flying and conversation will be fine, unless there's anything else you want to try or do or want more specific detail on?

As far as the scene around DB goes, high level wise;

He's on a ridgeline about 500m away from the party
Rocky is there, and is still watching the two fliers.
Tarn is just taking off, has his back turned to you.
You've got half a flare, and a broken dagger blade nearby, Tarn never recovered it, so that's still there. Looks like he kept the hilt though.
Um ... yeah, open to ideas?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-10, 06:36 PM
One action per post please, adding "if" conditionals in a single roll can make things messy. Two posts might be viable in one round in some circumstances (such as to represent the outcomes of two rounds of work).

Here though, the timing of them leaving the bubble is such that it doesn't make much sense to resolve both throw and charge at once. Cork could break cover once Gunter passes and toss his rock as he runs at Harrin, but the outcome of the charge would need to wait for the next.

TL:DR : readied or not, Cork is not the Flash :smalltongue:

Sure sure, I just wanted to know where he'd be at the end of this post.

So, to get my actions clear, here's what he'll be doing:
1) Chucking the rock at Harrin to hopefully screw up his shot; the Griffon is injured, unmoving, and Crown is essentially catching him off-guard. I imagine he'd be preparing to chuck the rock at Gunter, before the glint of the steel rifle barrel caught his eyes.
2) After his throw, he'll pick up the stick and start running towards Harrin. At the end of the round, his position will be fairly close to the rock, just starting to break cover, correct?

BlasTech
2013-02-10, 06:37 PM
Correct .

For additional flavour, Gunter and Highwind would be running past your spot on the right.

Balmas
2013-02-10, 08:12 PM
For now, flying and conversation will be fine, unless there's anything else you want to try or do or want more specific detail on?

As far as the scene around DB goes, high level wise;

He's on a ridgeline about 500m away from the party
Rocky is there, and is still watching the two fliers.
Tarn is just taking off, has his back turned to you.
You've got half a flare, and a broken dagger blade nearby, Tarn never recovered it, so that's still there. Looks like he kept the hilt though.
Um ... yeah, open to ideas?

I might retcon that he grabs the dagger blade, if that's alright.

Ravian
2013-02-10, 09:08 PM
Hmm and now Soot has options...
She can't see what's going on but can hear it. It's definately a good chance for a sneak attack from the darkness. However how she goes about that is another question since I don't want her to have a second visit to the sand pit.

Need some more thought, probably wait for the others to go.

Hmm... Maybe something with telekinesis...

BlasTech
2013-02-10, 09:45 PM
I might retcon that he grabs the dagger blade, if that's alright.

No need for a retcon, he can scoop it up as he heads after Tarn.

BlasTech
2013-02-11, 10:30 PM
Heh, good news guys, got a couple of new surprises for you in the works. Hope to show at least one of them off soon.

Balmas
2013-02-12, 01:04 AM
Oh! I know! It's a commie!

Er, do you mean a commissio--

I know what I said.


Also, you know that something's got a good product when you're thinking about it of your own volition to figure it out. I just spent two hours at work thinking about Turnabout Storm, only to be proven wrong when I came home and checked the evidence.

Time well spent. ^^

BlasTech
2013-02-12, 01:23 AM
I'm up to case 3 on the IOS version of Phoenix. All due to watching Turnabout Storm on the weekend.

I now get so many of the in jokes.

Balmas
2013-02-12, 02:59 AM
The problems of not having a single iOS device... Now I have to find a DS emulator of some sort.

So, any theories on Turnabout Storm, and how twas done?

Balmas
2013-02-12, 03:47 AM
Found one.


...This is severely addicting.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-12, 01:13 PM
Hey BlasTech? Can I get a roll and appropriate modifiers for Crown throwing the rock? Thanks!

BlasTech
2013-02-12, 03:17 PM
Coitainly!

DC 10 to peg a stationary, unmoving target. -2 penalty for night.


The problems of not having a single iOS device... Now I have to find a DS emulator of some sort.

So, any theories on Turnabout Storm, and how twas done?

I'll need one of those too, if only to play past the first game. Only one has been released on IOS. :smallfrown:

As for Turnabout Storm:

At this point, I'm fairly certain I know how Ace died, I'm still not final on the why though.

The How: I believe that he found Pinkie's golf club and was carrying it in his mouth when the cloud discharged the second bolt. Lightning rod = fried pegasus, despite the suit.

The Why: I don't know for sure, maybe he accidentally pushed it into the cloud while trying to move it, or potentially was attacking Sonata for bailing on him when it struck the cloud by accident (which would explain why the knobbily bit on the end broke off).

Barring any major revelations in the last day of the trial (of which I'm sure there will be one) I am starting to lean away from the intentional homicide route.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-12, 07:48 PM
Let's roll!

2 Body - 2 Conditions + 5 Temporary bonus = +5 total

Roll: [roll0]

Wait a sec, would the penalty for night still be in effect if he's right up next to the dome o' darkness? It'd be a tricky angle if he weren't, seeing how the dome nearly takes up the whole width of the ridgeline. Any light that's there would reflect off of him, making him stand out in stark contrast to the magical darkness behind him.

BlasTech
2013-02-12, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure I follow your argument here. The dome is a bubble of black is my understanding. There wouldn't be any light to reflect off it to make Harrin stand out any more.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-12, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure I follow your argument here. The dome is a bubble of black is my understanding. There wouldn't be any light to reflect off it to make Harrin stand out any more.

That's the thing; it's a griffon against a pure black, non-reflective background. Any light in the scene - stars, moon, or what have you - is bouncing off the griffon and coming to Crown's eyes. Ordinarily, the light would be low enough that determining the difference between the griffon and the nearby environment would be difficult. There wouldn't be that much intensity, and as such, the colors and shapes are muted. However, since he's against a pure black background, that provides contrast. Even though the light hitting Harrin is low in intensity, it's large compared to no light at all.

So even though he may not be able to make out details, there should be a contrast between Harrin and his backdrop, thus allowing Crown to see where he is.

EDIT: I'll admit, I may be failing physics hard here. I'm just not 100% sure how a purely non-reflective surface would act with an object in front of it. My gut says it'd make the object stand out more, but I don't know if that's just the cold/fever talking.

Balmas
2013-02-12, 11:02 PM
I think I understand what you're saying. In the same way that a dark silhouette--like a building or a skyline--shows up starkly against the evening sky, a lighter silhouette shows up against a pure, dark mass better than on the night sky alone.

Taking it a bit further, we have the fact that there's plenty of light around; it's night in the desert, which means no clouds. That means that the stars and moon are free to shine on everything.

Furthermore, Cork already saw the griffon. He knows where he is.

Ravian
2013-02-12, 11:26 PM
I'm waiting to post after all this is resolved since Soot's actions are rather dependent on whether the griffon with the gun is distracted or not.

BlasTech
2013-02-13, 06:57 AM
Not sold, sorry.

Given the blackness of the background, any contrast it would give to Harrin is marginal and not enough to overcome the fact that is is still nighttime. Maybe if Soot's spell gave off some light I'd be more partial to the argument.

In short; penalty stands, I'm afraid.

In other news, You'll be happy to know that you just caused me to walk around my backyard for ten minutes at night >_>

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-13, 11:16 AM
Not sold, sorry.

Given the blackness of the background, any contrast it would give to Harrin is marginal and not enough to overcome the fact that is is still nighttime. Maybe if Soot's spell gave off some light I'd be more partial to the argument.

In short; penalty stands, I'm afraid.

In other news, You'll be happy to know that you just caused me to walk around my backyard for ten minutes at night >_>

Fair enough. I'll accept the judgement, and hope that Iggy can bust out a spell and save the day for once. :smalltongue:

BlasTech
2013-02-13, 04:58 PM
Fair enough. I'll accept the judgement, and hope that Iggy can bust out a spell and save the day for once. :smalltongue:

A general rule of this game; It's usually a safer bet to rely on PC's first before NPC's to save the day :smalltongue:

Speaking of which, Soot still has her turn. So I'll wait a little longer before doing the next post.

If you need the outcome of the rock-throw's details, looks like Cork clips him, but doesn't hurt him. He'd be momentarily distracted by the projectile before turning towards Cork and trying to bring his gun to bear next round.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-13, 05:37 PM
If you need the outcome of the rock-throw's details, looks like Cork clips him, but doesn't hurt him. He'd be momentarily distracted by the projectile before turning towards Cork and trying to bring his gun to bear next round.

That makes me feel much better. I was scared that missing with the rock meant that somegriffon (or more likely given their positions, somepony) was getting a face-full of booming pain. And when you only missed by a measly two...yeah, that'd be frustrating.

For Soot: Remember that she's still in the darkness bubble, and she'd have to poke her head out to see what was going down.

BlasTech
2013-02-13, 06:04 PM
She does have her detect life spell up, and could have seen the last few minutes with the ambassador.

And yeah, this is MLP, a face full of blam isn't happening. What's more likely is significant fort and courage damage from a 'near miss'.

Balmas
2013-02-14, 12:43 AM
DB is going to push himself to fly faster back to camp. Would a successful Body+Aeronautics check allow him to get there a round earlier than he normally would?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-14, 01:21 AM
Alright, making the roll now, then sleeping on my action:

3 Courage + 5 Temporary bonus + 6 Willpower = +14

Courage check: [roll0]

And thus, the story has spoken. Rather definitively, at that. Crown is sidelined at zero Courage.

BlasTech
2013-02-14, 01:28 AM
DB is going to push himself to fly faster back to camp. Would a successful Body+Aeronautics check allow him to get there a round earlier than he normally would?

I'll have a think and get back to you. Initial thought is that you're talking a textbook sonic rainboom style move here, but I feel that that's facilitated by drawing on either a cutie mark talent or a guiding element. Racing or Loyalty for Rainbow, not sure how it works for a pegasus like DB, whether he's even capable of that kind of flight.


Alright, making the roll now, then sleeping on my action:

3 Courage + 5 Temporary bonus + 6 Willpower = +14

Courage check: [roll0]

And thus, the story has spoken. Rather definitively, at that. Crown is sidelined at zero Courage.

Catatonic or screaming, you can pick ^^

At least he has three or four others coming to get him back up.

Balmas
2013-02-14, 02:07 AM
I'll have a think and get back to you. Initial thought is that you're talking a textbook sonic rainboom style move here, but I feel that that's facilitated by drawing on either a cutie mark talent or a guiding element. Racing or Loyalty for Rainbow, not sure how it works for a pegasus like DB, whether he's even capable of that kind of flight.

Fair enough. It could also be something as simple as trading altitude for speed.

As far as sonic rainboom level flying... yeah, that's not happening. Even on a nat 20, I don't think he could pull it off; sure, he's in shape, and knows more tricks than the average pegasus, but he's no RD.

If I had to pick a dominant thought right now, it's that "My friends need me." This is, itself, more Loyalty than magic, so it doesn't really help.

Also, profanities. Those are in his head too. :smallbiggrin:

Whatever happens, I'll stand by your decision.

BlasTech
2013-02-14, 04:13 PM
Well, outside of a rainboomesqe move, he can probably make it back in two rounds if he pushes himself like he did before. I'm not going to say that such a move is impossible, but dc is gonna be high (or a nat20) for DB to pull it off and get back next round.

How's your luck feeling? ^^;

I did have an interesting thought though; how does a pony's guiding element influence their skills? What king of tasks would a pony say their element would empower them to do?

Racing to save your friends when they need you - loyalty
Drawing on the power of your friends to banish discord - magic

What about the other four?

Also, do you think the element assists in the task, or makes it possible at all? Could kindness fire the elements of harmony, for instance?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-14, 04:36 PM
Honesty I'd see as influencing social abilities, though there's also something to be said for "giving it a good, honest try." There's a sense of self-discipline that comes with the element that could make the pony better at not lying to themselves about their own level of effort.

Also, for the purposes of making sure I don't hold things up, Crown will be falling catatonic this round. Just in case Soot needs that for reference. Had a Career Fair today, and I need a bit of time to get this post in order.

BlasTech
2013-02-14, 05:05 PM
Speaking of rolling nat-1's on resistance checks ... I think I'll make it official that it imposes an additional point of damage on the failure, similar to how a nat 20 reduced it by one earlier. Doesn't make much difference here, but just sayin'

Back on topic;

Given that this is set in the Dangerous Business verse, maybe Honesty as the ability to, on occasion, pierce illusions or lies? AJ showed hints of that ability, but she was an element, rather than just an attuned pony.

Alternatively, there's plenty to be said for "Strive like Applejack", as she seems to have a determination to push herself further for her own sake and so as not to dissapoint friends with her performance (which is slightly different to loyalty, who pushes so as not to let her friends down)

Balmas
2013-02-14, 06:44 PM
Well, outside of a rainboomesqe move, he can probably make it back in two rounds if he pushes himself like he did before. I'm not going to say that such a move is impossible, but dc is gonna be high (or a nat20) for DB to pull it off and get back next round.

How's your luck feeling? ^^;

Hmm. See, I know that it's going to be a high DC, so I kind of want to spend Willpower. At the same time, I as a player will be lucky to break even will all the resources I'm tossing around.

It's in character to press just that little bit more, though...

I'm going to go for it, sans Willpower, and hope that the DC is 30, instead of 35 like it possibly is.

That's Aeronautics 5 + Body 3 + exp 6 for +14.

[roll0]

...Very funny, dice. Go back and do it right.


I did have an interesting thought though; how does a pony's guiding element influence their skills? What king of tasks would a pony say their element would empower them to do?

Racing to save your friends when they need you - loyalty
Drawing on the power of your friends to banish discord - magic

What about the other four?

Also, do you think the element assists in the task, or makes it possible at all? Could kindness fire the elements of harmony, for instance?

Hmm.

Kindness, from what we've seen, could possibly be influencing others to do the right thing. Victi- er, examples include the dragon from Dragonshy, the cockatrice, Manny Roar, and Discord himself. (However, these could simply be the universe bowing to the d'aaww of Fluttershy.)

Generosity seems to involve pushing your own limits in order to help others.


Honesty I'd see as influencing social abilities, though there's also something to be said for "giving it a good, honest try." There's a sense of self-discipline that comes with the element that could make the pony better at not lying to themselves about their own level of effort.

So, more about pushing yourself to the extremes?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-15, 12:04 AM
I hope I don't get sidelined too often. It's far too tempting to go full prose mode like this last post. :smalltongue:

If I ever wax on too much, do me a favor and slap me silly.


So, more about pushing yourself to the extremes?


Alternatively, there's plenty to be said for "Strive like Applejack", as she seems to have a determination to push herself further for her own sake and so as not to dissapoint friends with her performance (which is slightly different to loyalty, who pushes so as not to let her friends down)

BlasTech's got it. It's pushing yourself to extremes, but for different reasons then say, Loyalty would.

BlasTech
2013-02-15, 01:27 AM
Kindness, from what we've seen, could possibly be influencing others to do the right thing. Victi- er, examples include the dragon from Dragonshy, the cockatrice, Manny Roar, and Discord himself. (However, these could simply be the universe bowing to the d'aaww of Fluttershy.)

Generosity seems to involve pushing your own limits in order to help others.


Totally agree with Generosity there.

As for Kindness ... hmm. I always thought it was making people feel better about themselves, whether it be about doing the right thing or simply being there for them.

Related song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn3caYBZLyc)

BlasTech
2013-02-15, 01:31 AM
I hope I don't get sidelined too often. It's far too tempting to go full prose mode like this last post. :smalltongue:

If I ever wax on too much, do me a favor and slap me silly.


The lesson I'm learning here is; If sidelining Cork leads to excellent drama for the RP, then I should really do it more often. :smallwink:

Balmas
2013-02-15, 04:52 AM
The lesson I'm learning here is; If sidelining Cork leads to excellent drama for the RP, then I should really do it more often. :smallwink:

Seconded. That post was incredible. Whereas I just ripped something out of TvTropes, edited in Dive Bomb, and called it a post. :smallbiggrin:


Totally agree with Generosity there.

As for Kindness ... hmm. I always thought it was making people feel better about themselves, whether it be about doing the right thing or simply being there for them.

Related song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn3caYBZLyc)

So, let me recap:


Generosity: Push yourself to do more for others.
Kindness: Be extra nice so others will feel good and push themselves.
Magic: Push yourself to trust others
Loyalty: Push yourself because your friends need you.
Muffins: Push yourself to be awesome.
Laughter:... Morale? I got nothing.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-15, 05:34 PM
The lesson I'm learning here is; If sidelining Cork leads to excellent drama for the RP, then I should really do it more often. :smallwink:


Seconded. That post was incredible. Whereas I just ripped something out of TvTropes, edited in Dive Bomb, and called it a post. :smallbiggrin:

Oh. Ooh. Um. Ah. Well. Gee.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120919141555/mlp/images/7/74/Applejack_blush_S02E14.gif

Ya'll are making me get the mileage out of this gif, aren't you?

"If you could cease your prattling for just a moment, I need to lodge a grievous complaint! Namely, against the sacrifice of my most exquisite and dashing well-being for the amusement of others. Are we mere barbarians, hooting in brutish pleasure at the sight of a beautiful animal laid low by cruel fate? Have we fallen so far as to forgotten our last vestiges of civilization? Is there no mercy left-"

Hush, magical talking horse. The adults are talking.

*sputter*

One Tin Soldier
2013-02-16, 02:26 AM
Hmm. See, I know that it's going to be a high DC, so I kind of want to spend Willpower. At the same time, I as a player will be lucky to break even will all the resources I'm tossing around.

It's in character to press just that little bit more, though...

I'm going to go for it, sans Willpower, and hope that the DC is 30, instead of 35 like it possibly is.

That's Aeronautics 5 + Body 3 + exp 6 for +14.

[roll0]

...Very funny, dice. Go back and do it right.



Hmm.

Kindness, from what we've seen, could possibly be influencing others to do the right thing. Victi- er, examples include the dragon from Dragonshy, the cockatrice, Manny Roar, and Discord himself. (However, these could simply be the universe bowing to the d'aaww of Fluttershy.)

Generosity seems to involve pushing your own limits in order to help others.



So, more about pushing yourself to the extremes?

They do tend to get similar results in the heroics department, don't they? I guess the real difference is the why. So I'd say Loyalty is about being there for your friends, Honesty is about holding yourself to a higher standard, and Generosity is about helping those in need.

Magic, Kindness, and Laughter are a bit less innately inclined towards the classic heroic model, at least in the sense of athletic/bodily sense.


Oh. Ooh. Um. Ah. Well. Gee.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120919141555/mlp/images/7/74/Applejack_blush_S02E14.gif

Ya'll are making me get the mileage out of this gif, aren't you?

"If you could cease your prattling for just a moment, I need to lodge a grievous complaint! Namely, against the sacrifice of my most exquisite and dashing well-being for the amusement of others. Are we mere barbarians, hooting in brutish pleasure at the sight of a beautiful animal laid low by cruel fate? Have we fallen so far as to forgotten our last vestiges of civilization? Is there no mercy left-"

Hush, magical talking horse. The adults are talking.

*sputter*

I, too, will add in my slightly belated praise for your writing. Well done sir, well done.

BlasTech
2013-02-16, 02:41 AM
I think kindness and laughter are more external than the others. More about exhorting those around you.

Balmas
2013-02-16, 04:28 AM
And Magic continues to be somewhat ambiguous to me. Is it more about putting your trust in others, or encouraging people to act together as a team? Helping others to develop their talents? Depending on others?

...Is it a bit ironic that I'm trying to find a way to demonstrate the magic of friendship without relying on the actions of others?

Yes, I think it is.

BlasTech
2013-02-16, 07:29 PM
Bit of both I think? That's kind of how I've been thinking of Magic when relating to regaining willpower.

In terms of doing awesomestuff™, I think Magic happens when you have your friends behind you, and draw on it to accomplish something.

The "Channel Friendship" prime effect, in other words; roasting windigoes, banishing Discord, etc etc.

Anywhoo, Amish, anything you wanted to post this round?

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-16, 07:39 PM
Bit of both I think? That's kind of how I've been thinking of Magic when relating to regaining willpower.

In terms of doing awesomestuff™, I think Magic happens when you have your friends behind you, and draw on it to accomplish something.

The "Channel Friendship" prime effect, in other words; roasting windigoes, banishing Discord, etc etc.

Anywhoo, Amish, anything you wanted to post this round?

Hmm, I can toss up a quick little flavor post this round, but I'm happy stepping aside until Crown is brought back into the action.

BlasTech
2013-02-16, 07:49 PM
Hmm, I can toss up a quick little flavor post this round, but I'm happy stepping aside until Crown is brought back into the action.

I think, mechanically, Soot is the first on scene to revive you, so use her as the base for how much courage you get.

I'll work on my next post, you have a while before I'll be ready though.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-16, 10:36 PM
I think, mechanically, Soot is the first on scene to revive you, so use her as the base for how much courage you get.

I'll work on my next post, you have a while before I'll be ready though.

Wait, is Cork getting revived now? Is that an automatic thing? I thought that had to be declared.

BlasTech
2013-02-16, 10:51 PM
Wait, is Cork getting revived now? Is that an automatic thing? I thought that had to be declared.

It does, I'm kind of assuming Ravian's intent here though.

TheAmishPirate
2013-02-16, 11:11 PM
It does, I'm kind of assuming Ravian's intent here though.

Hmm. Either way, Crown is out for this round, so no harm done in moving on for now. I'll revive him next round if that is the case.

Balmas
2013-02-17, 03:08 AM
Can I get a reminder of how exactly second winds work?

As I understand it, a friend can restore faith in their friends. This takes a depleted resistance and boosts it to either the lower of the two ingredients in that resistance, or potentially the higher if the friend has the appropriate element. I believe we discussed the possibility of having one revive per person, yes? Do we still need to spend Willpower to do so?

Either way, I'll delay my response until Ravian has a chance to post.

BlasTech
2013-02-17, 03:21 AM
As I understand it, a friend can restore faith in their friends. This takes a depleted resistance and boosts it to either the lower of the two ingredients in that resistance, or potentially the higher if the friend has the appropriate element. I believe we discussed the possibility of having one revive per person, yes? Do we still need to spend Willpower to do so?


This is essentially correct; The self-revive is once per scene and doesn't cost Willpower.

Ravian
2013-02-17, 11:23 PM
Just found the uplifting attitude thing, Soot doesn't have to spend willpower to restore faith once per scene. Very nice considering I'm running low on it. Seriously I need to be more conservative with this stuff.

Her element doesn't help with the restoration, but seeing as Cork's heart and mind stats are equal it's all fine anyway.