PDA

View Full Version : Contingentificer?

Tvtyrant
2012-09-04, 09:48 PM
The feat Craft Contingent Spell allows you to instill a number of contingencies in an ally (including yourself) up to the characters HD. An Artificer can take the feat to make them, but I don't know if the Artificer's ability to emulate spells using UMD for the sake of item making works with CCS.

Does anyone have a weigh-in on whether an Artificer can use their Item Creation ability on Contingent Spells?

Snowbluff
2012-09-04, 09:51 PM
Well ,it is a Craft feat, is it not? I would say so. Then again, I am not too familiar with the Artificer. :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2012-09-04, 09:57 PM
Well ,it is a Craft feat, is it not? I would say so. Then again, I am not too familiar with the Artificer. :smalltongue:

That was my logic, but the idea worries me because it allows the Artificer access to every buff or area spell without having to take the actions to use it. For instance, talking is a free action, and I can make my contingencies go off using keywords. Take that casting!

Snowbluff
2012-09-04, 10:08 PM
That was my logic, but the idea worries me because it allows the Artificer access to every buff or area spell without having to take the actions to use it. For instance, talking is a free action, and I can make my contingencies go off using keywords. Take that casting!

This sort of thing is probably one of the reasons Arties are considered T1! :smallsmile:

Tvtyrant
2012-09-04, 10:33 PM
This sort of thing is probably one of the reasons Arties are considered T1! :smallsmile:

Very true. It would be pretty fun to have a series of Prismatic Sphere contingencies. Bam! Instant impermeable barrier that kills anyone trying to get in.

Snowbluff
2012-09-04, 10:48 PM
Lol, or you could do something stupid on purpose, like using that BoED spell that kills you when you use it! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Then contingent revivify yourself upon death by that spell. No level loss!

Tvtyrant
2012-09-04, 10:50 PM
Lol, or you could do something stupid on purpose, like using that BoED spell that kills you when you use it! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Then contingent revivify yourself upon death by that spell. No level loss!

"When a spell would drop me to less than -10 HP, activate this spell that would kill me!"

Seeing the DM's face would be great.

Snowbluff
2012-09-04, 10:56 PM
"When a spell would drop me to less than -10 HP, activate this spell that would kill me!"

Seeing the DM's face would be great.

Well, when your DM realizes what you just did to only cast an Exalted Fury or Phoenix Fire, he'll laugh.

"I cast Exalted Fury! THey take 250 and I die."
"That was kind dumb why not just-"
"CONTINGENT REVIVIFY!"
"Ugh. You didn't. This is stupid (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111216011132/mspaintadventures/images/6/6c/This_is_stupid_Large.gif)."

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-04, 11:17 PM
There's a reason that feat is considered one of the most broken feats in 3.5 you know.

In spite of how they function, the contingent spells crafted by the feat are "magic items" for adjudication purposes, IIRC, and as such are perfectly valid for an artificer's craft item class feature.

Do it in a game and, in all probability, books will begin spontaneously flying at your head. :smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2012-09-04, 11:23 PM
There's a reason that feat is considered one of the most broken feats in 3.5 you know.

In spite of how they function, the contingent spells crafted by the feat are "magic items" for adjudication purposes, IIRC, and as such are perfectly valid for an artificer's craft item class feature.

Do it in a game and, in all probability, books will begin spontaneously flying at your head. :smallbiggrin:
So the Contingentificer would work. Good to know.

I tend to be pretty tame in RL games, I just wanted to know if this worked by RAW. (My one Artificer was a Gnome.)