PDA

View Full Version : Scifi Book CLub Questions

turkishproverb
2012-09-04, 11:42 PM
Is anyone here a member of/has anyone here been a member of scifi book club? I've been considering joining, but I had a few questions about their policies/service.

To start with, did you have any trouble with damaged packages?

Melayl
2012-09-07, 12:10 PM
I have been a member for >10 years now, and was twice before. Good customer service, no problems with damaged packaging or books. So far as I've been able to tell, just a great way to get relatively cheap books.

I have gotten some spam mail because of it, though. Things like BMG Music and such. A minimal amount over the years.

WalkingTarget
2012-09-07, 12:40 PM
Yeah, same here. I honestly don't get much from them (Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, and a copy of The Princess Bride and the Foundation Trilogy), but I generally haven't had a problem with damaged books. Their binding isn't as good as a standard hardcover, and they have a slightly smaller form factor, but I've had nothing but good service from them when I've needed it. Just make sure that you respond to the Featured Selections in a timely manner if you don't want them every month.

Edit - a specific example: I missed responding a few times in the last 13 years and was always able to just mail the books back, no questions asked.

turkishproverb
2012-09-08, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the help. How are they on changes of Address?

WalkingTarget
2012-09-09, 08:47 AM
I've never tried moving while I had any sort of shipment pending, but you can just go to your online account and update your address (and you can have multiple addresses set up for billing/shipping/etc.)

turkishproverb
2012-09-09, 09:53 AM
Good to know.

At this point my main debate is getting closer and closer to "what do I buy" and I'm resisting the urge to ask what the hidden price is on bundle (http://www.sfbc.com/pages/nm/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1075785959) packs (http://www.sfbc.com/pages/nm/search/searchResults.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=-1075792828767455331&sAction=QUICKSEARCH&sort=DEFAULT&resultView=LIST&newSearch=true&value=wizard+for+hire&term=keyword&search.x=0&search.y=0).

I'll ask: Any for recommendations on books/offers to get while joining it?

WalkingTarget
2012-09-09, 10:25 PM
Sorry, not much help there. I think I got the first three Song of Ice and Fire books as a package deal a few years into my membership (and that's what fulfilled my membership requirements). The signing bonus "free" books I got were something like the first 8 Wheel of Time books.

I'm not really sure that there are "hidden" costs. The idea is to get you to buy more books. They may be discounted, but I'm sure they're still making a profit off of any given book they ship to you.

Edit - oh, the prices are hidden unless you're signed in as a member...

If you decide you want to know, we can tell you.

turkishproverb
2012-09-10, 06:05 AM
Fun. Well, for my part I'm really tempted by the various Dresden Omnibi, which is why the big ten book pack and the four book pack (the four "Wizard" Dresden omnibi by Butcher) have me so curious. Nice to have less shelf space taken.

Melayl
2012-09-10, 05:17 PM
Having purchased many an omnibus edition, I have found no "hidden" costs -- unless the author is getting less money for them, and I don't know the answer to that question.

Looking at the link, it seems like just an "introductory package" -- incentive to join the club.

Also, they no longer send out monthly "Featured Selections". They only send you books if you specifically order them, not if you fail to decline them.

WalkingTarget
2012-09-10, 06:50 PM
Also, they no longer send out monthly "Featured Selections". They only send you books if you specifically order them, not if you fail to decline them.

Either that's a (very) recent change or it's not applicable to older members. I got something sent to me due to negligence on my part not 6 months ago. I still log in to decline them every month.

Also: the 10-volume set is
$132

turkishproverb
2012-09-11, 04:05 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. If I run into any other problems I'll be sure to ask you. :smallsmile:

Melayl
2012-09-12, 01:21 PM
Either that's a (very) recent change or it's not applicable to older members. I got something sent to me due to negligence on my part not 6 months ago. I still log in to decline them every month.

Also: the 10-volume set is
$132

I don't know how recent it is... I had rejoined more than 2 years ago. I can't recall if I joined and then was told they were no longer doing that, or if I joined after hearing they were no longer doing it.