PDA

View Full Version : Lord Scenario

theorclord
2012-09-05, 05:27 AM
Hi all.

I have been working on a rule set that would allow players to take on the role as rules of a subset of an entire kingdom.

I have, however, run in to a large problem. There is of course a lot of minor changes to be done, but the biggest problem lies with creating a fast paced massive combat system.

The players will control armies ranging from 500-2000 characters, and the max level for each individual character will be level 6.

My current thoughts on this system is to use formations of up to 100 characters as a single unit. They will have bonuses and deal damage according to thier size, but they will only require a single attack to figure out how much damage the enemy takes.

If anyone have some ideas that could help me i would be mst grateful.

Edit:
If anyone wants to have a look at the complete rules, send me a message. I would like feedback and suggestions for improvements. The reason i don't post the rules, is that the document currently is 42 pages long.

Yitzi
2012-09-05, 10:20 AM
Each army has a power equal to its equivalent in first-level characters (so first-level characters are worth 1, second-level are worth 1.4..., third are worth 2, etc.) Special troops such as generals add modifiers. When two armies fight, each rolls a d6 and multiplies by their power divided by 10. This is the damage dealt to the opposing force, after which the process repeats (unless one side chooses to retreat, in which case it takes but does not deal half damage one more time and then the battle is over). If the ratio between the armies changes (as compared to the starting one) by a factor of at least 2 (this factor can be modified by special troops and buffs/debuffs), the army that's lost a higher percentage is routed (automatically retreats, taking full damage from that last attack).

bobthe6th
2012-09-05, 11:48 AM
make a few units (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=m4ku4k7mh0mqmjgpmfo9ugo335&topic=10466.0)?

then have most of the armies be units of massive proportion, and smash them against each other.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-05, 11:58 AM
Perhaps you can throw in an upkeep factor. As in the amount of units you can accumulate and sustain depending on the amount of land and resources available.

theorclord
2012-09-05, 02:15 PM
General comment:
Currently there is a system for hiring soldiers and for maintaining them.
There also is an idea regarding how units would function in formations in mass combat. The problem is, that a session would include 4-6 players, who could all individually engage in combat, not necessarily connected. This means that combat should be resolved smoothly, without the involment of the game master, and quite fast.

@Yitzi:
This could be an idea. However, i do not think it scales very well.

@bobthe6th:
This might actually solv some of the problems, and it is also very close to my current solution. The only fear i have that it would not be fast enough to function in a session.

@TheWombatOfDoom:
This have already been done. Each soldier have an upkeep related to level and class assigned to them. However, in order to solve another problem, the army sizes have been increased from 500 to 2000.

Yitzi
2012-09-05, 10:18 PM
@Yitzi:
This could be an idea. However, i do not think it scales very well.

Actually, it should scale very well with regards to the pace. Because the dice don't change with the army size, you have to roll the same number of dice per "round" either way, and because the damage is proportional to army size, a 1 million vs. 1 million battle shouldn't take any more rounds than a 100 vs. 100.

theorclord
2012-09-07, 06:46 AM
Actually, it should scale very well with regards to the pace. Because the dice don't change with the army size, you have to roll the same number of dice per "round" either way, and because the damage is proportional to army size, a 1 million vs. 1 million battle shouldn't take any more rounds than a 100 vs. 100.

How would you take into account unit formations, different terrain, flanking and the like. This might be oversimplified and make units only important in amount.

The idea is still to have combat be dependent on how you equip your army and how strong the individual fighters are. However, at the same time, there should be a semi-quick resolution to the battle.

Yitzi
2012-09-07, 08:48 AM
How would you take into account unit formations, different terrain, flanking and the like. This might be oversimplified and make units only important in amount.

Formations and single-army flanking occur on the tactical, rather than strategic, level; as such they aren't really under the control of the ruler of the area, but rather the general. So add a bonus dependent on the skill of the general, and leave it at that.

Multi-army flanking (hammer and anvil strategy) can be done by a rule similar to D&D flanking (a fixed bonus if one army is flanked by two other armies), plus possibly added bonus done to a retreating army that was flanked.

Terrain would also be a bonus to the attacker or defender, depending on terrain type.

The idea is still to have combat be dependent on how you equip your army and how strong the individual fighters are.

Say that each fighter has a power, equipment gives a (usually small) percentage bonus to that, and then add them up for army power.