PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Assassin/Equipment Questions

Regal Kain
2012-09-05, 09:42 AM
A thread akin to this has been made several times, but most/all of them fall under the 6week rule, so I didn't want to thread necro something, my apologies if that was a mistake, I've lurked the forums for awhile but first time actually posting.

(Going to spoiler some things to avoid huge wall of text post.)

So to the point at hand, my roommates and I are going to run a 3.5 caimpagn to give me a break from DMing BESM, we're starting at level 5 and my DM says almost anything is a go, just clear it with him first, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions if that's alright as I'm getting rather confused with somethings.

We're all capable of power-gaming, but generally try to avoid it in 3.5 because it makes it extremely boring quickly for us. We like playing "mortal" characters as it were. (The other systems we play are hyper-powered characters so D&D is a nice setback to reality so to speak.)

First off the questions I have about equipment, it's mostly in pricing things etc.

I understand the basic premise of a +1 Flaming Dagger= 8302 GP (IF I've figured this up wrong please let me know, as the price/cost for things is what's confusing me.)

Shields/Armor (Again if I'm incorrect please let me know.) For a say +1 Buckler of Arrow Catching= 4315GP

These are made obvious by the Price:+1Bonus or plus X bonus on them, things that confuse me are let's say I want to put Shadow on something (As per DMG Pg 219) It says Price: +3,750

So this throws me off quite a bit, because if I recall reading through here, some things like "blueshine" are a base cost added to the item, and don't require a magical set of armor etc to be applied. Is 3750 then applied as such? For the example we'll use Chainmail.

Chainmail =150 MW=300 +1= 1000 Shadow= 3750 Total=5200
This is sort of assuming that it's not a (+2) item as it were. Since Shadow doesn't say it gives a Price of +XBonus.

Or does it work like blueshine? In the sense it's a flat rate added to the base cost of an item? In which case it'd be 4200, or 3900, based on whether or not it needs Masterwork/ +1 On it before Shadow can be applied. The reasoning behind such detail of how cost works is, I'm only a level 5 character, and while I'm trying not to power-game my stats etc to badly, I'd still like to have a couple of cool features on my Warforged.

As for the character itself. I'm using the Assassin Core class as per Assassin's Handbook (Greenronin) (Starting Pg3)

Stat block=
Str 17
Dex 17-+1(Level)=18
Con 16 +2 (WF)=18
Int 15
Wis 12 -2(WF) =10
Cha 14 -2(WF) =12

rolled the statblock infront of my DM, he allowed me to keep it despite it being a bit higher just because I generally have several negatives on my statblocks, so this was a pleasent suprise.

Feats-
Mithral Body
Combat Reflexs
Two-Weapon Fighting
Stone-Cold Killer.

Again not power-gaming, the feats are more for flavor then practicality. ^_^ The only thing that's really throwing me for a loop, is the armor, DM is giving us 10K to spend on equipment special stuff etc, as long as we can afford it, we can buy it no matter what the item is. Depending on how the armor thing works on, I was originally thinking.

Mithral Body- Blueshined + Shadowed = 5250
Shadow Dagger= 3000 GP T= 8250
Cloak of Resistance= 1000 T= 9250

Other 750 for standard stuff I believe all characters should have and carry. (IE: Rope, chalk, a small mirror, a small bell, some twine etc.)

The other idea was.

Mithral Body- Shadowed= 3750
Shadow Dagger= 3000 GP T= 6750
Hat of Disguise= 1800 T= 8550
Cloak of Resistance(+1)=1000 T= 9550

I'm not really sure what set of items to go with, mostly because if the armor cost is more then I'm thinking, that's obviously going to change drastically. Any thoughts/opinions? :)

Diarmuid
2012-09-05, 10:17 AM
The only thing I think you may have wrong is that the flat cost enhancements also have a requirement of being put on an item with at minimum a +1 enhancement (not a +1 equivalent, an honest to god +1 hit/dmg for weapon or +1 AC for armor). So your Mithril Body would have to get +1 before you could add the Blueshine and the Shadowed.

Also, the price for MW armor/shields is only 150 as compared to the 300 cost for MW weapons.

Regal Kain
2012-09-05, 10:24 AM
My apologies for the mistake in MWing items and their costs.

And yeah, that was my initial question, perhaps I worded it poorly. I was trying to see if armor "needed" a +1 on it before it could accept Blueshine/Shadow, if it does, that changes their prices by 2K respectively, I just wasn't sure because they don't really call themselves a +1 bonus etc.

If someone could give me an affirmative yes or no on this, it'd be really appreciated, thank you in advance. ^_^

Keld Denar
2012-09-05, 10:39 AM
It has to be at least +1 before you can put special abilities on the armor. Keep in mind that armor costs are half of what what weapon costs are. +1 armor only costs 1000 g plus base, rather than 2000 g.

You might wasn't to look at Bunko's Bargain Basement for ideas for misc magic items. Some things, like Anklets of Translocation, are pretty awesome and cheap.

Regal Kain
2012-09-05, 10:54 AM
Thank you very much for the snappy reply everyone, just to make sure I have this right and I'm not seriously derp-herping off. And to clear up one more thing. We'll use chain-mail as the example again.

MWChainmail= 300 +1Bonus=1000 Blueshine= 1500 T= 2800?
And if that's the case, if these don't count as a seperate bonus, but stille require a +1 on it, does that mean that.
MWChainmail= 300 +1 Bonus= 1000 Blueshine= 1500 Shadow= 3750 T= 6550?

Sorry if I seem stupid for wanting to clarify this so much, I just don't want to make a mistake when calculating things. ^^;;

Keld Denar
2012-09-05, 11:20 AM
Why are you bothering with armor? You have Mithril Body. It grants an armor bonus that does not stack with actual armor, and provides more protection than chain shirt...

Regal Kain
2012-09-05, 11:24 AM
Well I was under the impression (From my DM) that Warforged "plating" can be enchanted equivalent to armor, and they are incapable of wearing armor. If that's wrong, well then this whole thread seems rather silly, haha. But that's how he is running it in any case, hence the questions for indepthness.

Also, I don't care about armor, I want the Blueshine/Shadow for more obvious reasons, I'm a warforged so rust/acid=Ow Shadow gives me a +5 to hide, and it looks awesome how I picture it in my head. ^_^

I'm mostly wanting blueshine because one of my teammates, is seriously considering looking into getting a rust monster mount. (Forget the book that details getting one.) and in this group of evil-ish characters, I'd rather not be killed by a mount of a fellow cohort. :)

Diarmuid
2012-09-05, 12:53 PM
You would need to make your Mithril Body +1 before you could stick Blueshine and/or Shadow on it. You do not need a +1 for each of them, the armor simply needs to have a +1 enhancement on it before any other magic abilities can be added.

+1 = 1000
Blueshine = 1500
Shadow = 3750

Total Cost for enchantments = 6250

This same thing would be the case for an actual suit of armor, but then you would need to include the normal cost of the armor, plus 150gp for making it MW (unless you were using a special material, in which case the MW component is generally included in the extra cost for the special material).