PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Radiant Servant and/or Morninglord

herrhauptmann
2012-09-05, 05:57 PM
Currently in a PF campaign where the DM is willing to allow non-PF gods, and wanted to make a cleric as a backup character.
Houserules:

Wild magic (affects arcane). He has a chart from somewhere that describes what happens on wild surges.
Basic cure spells are swift or move actions. Can be upgraded to a standard by affecting more targets, or just healing more. (DM doesn't like how the healer usually loses all his actions and doesn't get to contribute as much to the fight itself)
Feats are pretty much PF only.
Uses a crit deck, but not a fumble deck. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes not.
Can't take metamagic feats. Not sure if this will be an issue with Radiant servants metamagicked healing.
Enemies deal extra damage. 25 or 33% extra.
Sort of sandbox with extra bonuses and penalties added on by DM. They're sorta random, but they fit. Like when a PC dies, the characters who knew him longest take a penalty until they can bury him properly.

Anyway, I'm planning on taking PF Cleric, and going into either Radiant Servant, or Morninglord prestige classes.

Radiant Servant needs Sun domain (I think a sub-domain should quailify as well), and extra turning. But PF uses a different turning mechanic, so I'm not sure how the 'greater turning' from the 3.5 sun domain would work.
And then there's extra turning which doesn't exist, but should be easy to include in the game.

Morninglord requires Improved Turning. Also doesnt exist in PF, and I'm not sure how it should work if it is included. Would a level 6 cleric channel energy for 4d6 like a level 7 cleric? Is that even worth a feat? (Not asking whether imp turning was worth it in 3.5)

What sort of alterations should I suggest for the prereqs? If I don't offer reasonable ones, the DM will not let me take either PrC.

edit: Added two more houserules I forgot about.

Corlindale
2012-09-05, 06:10 PM
Extra Turning is simply Extra Channel - that's easy enough.

Improved Turning could likewise become Improved Channel - doesn't add damage, but ups the save dc. An ok feat if you are using channel offensively - which I assume, given domain and class choices.

herrhauptmann
2012-09-05, 06:29 PM
Extra/improved channeling?
You'd think I'd have thought to check the SRD for those...
Thanks. That's one issue fixed.

Campaign is sometimes undead heavy. But there's another houserule I forgot to mention. Enemies tend to deal extra damage. Extra 25 or 33%. So we really need healing sometimes.

grarrrg
2012-09-05, 07:22 PM
Anyway, I'm planning on taking PF Cleric, and going into either Radiant Servant, or Morninglord prestige classes.

Radiant Servant needs Sun domain (I think a sub-domain should quailify as well), and extra turning. But PF uses a different turning mechanic, so I'm not sure how the 'greater turning' from the 3.5 sun domain would work.
And then there's extra turning which doesn't exist, but should be easy to include in the game.

As far as general conversion goes, the Skill Pre-Reqs should be Heal 2 Ranks, Knowledge Religion 6 Ranks.
Could also argue that the HD should be d8's.
Also, if a PF deity is wanted, Sarenrae (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Sarenrae) is the closest, having the Fire, Glory, Good, Healing, and Sun domains, and a NG alignment.

Neither of the PF-Sun Sub-domains fit the "anti-undead" flavor of the 3.5-Sun domain. So I'd use it "as-is".

As far as Greater turning...that's a little harder, as PF-Channel pretty much does that already (damage/destroy Undead).
I got a couple options, see which one you like.

You could have Radiant Servant grant the Turn Undead (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/turn-undead--final) Feat, and a 3+CHA channel pool that can ONLY be used for Turn Undead. This seems a little weak though.

Have Radiant Servant double the level 1 power of the Sun Domain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/sun-domain). You'd add DOUBLE your Cleric/Radiant Servant levels to the damage.
Quick Note: Make sure Radiant Servant levels "stack with Cleric for all effects related to Channel Energy, and your granted Powers from the Sun Domain"

Something to improve the Sun Domain's 2nd granted power. Double rounds sounds "meh" but maybe it becomes Minutes per level instead of Rounds/level?

Normal Channeling advances +1d6 every 2 levels. Maybe have Radiant Servant count +1d6 EVERY level, but only if used to harm Undead? So a Cleric 10/Radiant Servant 10 would Channel Heal for only 10d6, but Channel Harm Undead for 15d6+20 (the +20 is from the Sun Domain ability).

Side Note: The "Positive Energy Burst" ability gained at 8th level is pretty much worthless with how Channeling is in PF. Could possibly just drop the ability entirely, or turn it into a "super-channel". Then again, between the PF-Sun domain, and some of my suggestions above, you ALREADY have a Super-Channel.