PDA

View Full Version : What is the Strongest Plant Creature?

metabolicjosh
2012-09-05, 07:31 PM
So i want to find a plant that can kick my players butts!
It should be as lethal as possible, and I do not want to use templates.
(I have my own in mind)

Anyone know of any ideas? Why? I am making a lycanthopic Plant and it needs to make them underestimate it. I will post the final creature for you guys.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-05, 07:34 PM
specific level, or strongest possible?

Example: Battlebriars aren't bad for a CR 15. You can even give it a few class levels and give it the ability to alter self and make it look pretty pathetic.

Edit same book there's an ancient night twist CR20 which is pretty nasty.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-05, 07:47 PM
Cr 14 is the butter zone!

Silus
2012-09-05, 07:56 PM
I know you said no templates, buuuuuuut....

1. Take a base creature that can use weapons.
2. Give it the "Woodling" template from Monster Manual 3 at the max spell cap level...thing.
3. For funsies, give it the Pathfinder Spriggan's "Size Alteration" as a free action.

At will as a standard action, a spriggan can change his size between Small and Large. Weapons, armor, and other objects on the spriggan’s person grow proportionally when he changes size (objects revert to normal size 1 round after a spriggan releases them). When a spriggan becomes Large, his speed increases to 30 feet, he gains +12 Strength, –2 Dexterity, and +6 Constitution, and he takes a –2 size penalty to his AC. While Large, a spriggan cannot use his sneak attack or his racial spell-like abilities (although if he possesses either from class levels or templates, he retains their use in both sizes).

4. Add class levels as needed.
5. If not meeting the CR needed, add several of the creatures.

Invader
2012-09-05, 08:11 PM
Try this website http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/

Orcwort is also a CR 20 but there's a few in the CR 14 range.

Roguenewb
2012-09-05, 08:21 PM
They've suggested all the good ones, but Orcwort is hilarious. It's a tree that grows orcs. Hilarious.

Venger
2012-09-05, 08:23 PM
Ironmaw. FF p104.

he is probably one of the toughest monsters in the game to fight with (provided he is able to get close enough to the party, though his racial bonus to disguise himself as a tree should make it a lot easier) he's got a ton of abilities and will absolutely destroy a party that's not able to fly up and snipe at him from range (it had better be far as well)

Novawurmson
2012-09-05, 08:37 PM
Mu Spore (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/muSpore.htm)?

sonofzeal
2012-09-05, 08:48 PM
Ancient Night Twist (MM3) and Orcwart (MM2) are both CR 20 plants. Plague Brush (MM3) is CR 17, too.

awa
2012-09-05, 09:29 PM
orc wort is massively over cred its super slow and has no ranged attacks. a level 1 warlock can solo it in an open field

LeshLush
2012-09-05, 09:52 PM
orc wort is massively over cred its super slow and has no ranged attacks. a level 1 warlock can solo it in an open field
Don't put it in an open field.

killianh
2012-09-05, 10:23 PM
According to the monster index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=plant&tablesort=5) the strongest without a template would be an Treant, Elder at CR 25

awa
2012-09-05, 10:30 PM
with a hide check of -3the party will see it from a long distance away and then it's 10 speed and no ranged attacks means the party can just kill it or avoid it at their leisure. its just a giant bucket of hp.

the orc wort is in no way worthy of it's cr 20

LeshLush
2012-09-05, 10:39 PM
It's probably not worth a CR20, but a good DM should be able to find creative, sensible way to use it that doesn't involve "You see an Orcwort from really far away."

awa
2012-09-05, 10:58 PM
sure if a dm did enough stuff he could make it a threat but why bother their are better designed plant monsters anyway.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-05, 11:01 PM
most interesting thing I think would be to homebrew yourself up one for CR14, but have it have an awaken spell like ability and then the ability to rebuke plants. Oh look at that, one single plant to kill. Oh gnomes, it summoned itself an army!

metabolicjosh
2012-09-05, 11:03 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13849670#post13849670
New question

Darrin
2012-09-06, 06:13 AM
Sporebats.

15 HD, CR 10, but oho, what's this? Enervation Ray once every other round, as cast by a 12th level sorcerer. It's like the Adamantine Horror of the plant world. So they're plants. That fly. And have claws. And a life-sucking *LASER*. Individually, a short little scary WTF, but put a flock of about 8-10 together, and bust out the bodybags.

GreenSerpent
2012-09-06, 06:32 AM
sure if a dm did enough stuff he could make it a threat but why bother their are better designed plant monsters anyway.

You seem to be forgetting the Wortlings it'll send to grab them and tear them to pieces.

sdream
2012-09-06, 08:28 AM
It's not as interesting as some of these others, but I've always like the synergy between a plant that heals from lightning, and something that calls some lightning AoE in.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/plants/treant/lightning-treant-advanced

A few of those might do nicely up to CR13

I think spells that produce lines and cones usually give the caster the option to include their square in the area of effect. (if the lightning starts at your fingertips, put you hand behind your head and wiggle your fingers). Gives a little healing when they use their attacks.

I think they are pretty nasty for CR 11 - tough to spot in a forest, tough to hurt (lots of HP, high AC, immunities, fast healing, and a way to actively heal as they attack) and MEAN.

awa
2012-09-06, 10:55 AM
by the time you are high enough level that you can get xp from an orcwort the wortlings are so weak as to be irelavent. and they lack ranged attacks or abbility to target flying creatures as well

Manly Man
2012-09-06, 12:47 PM
An ancient Night Twist has been mentioned already, but I second it. And even if they somehow through sheer luck manage to kill it, there's still the curse that they get from killing it.