PDA

View Full Version : What, exactly, is Rebuke Plants good for?

Jeff the Green
2012-09-05, 08:55 PM
I'm playing a gestalt Charisma SAD archer cleric, and have a metric f***ton of turn attempts that I use to fuel DMM Quicken. I traded my plant domain's power for spontaneous restoration, but then I got it again from Holt Warden.

What can I do with these rebuke plant attempts? This is a dungeon crawl and there aren't a ton of plant creatures that live underground...

animewatcha
2012-09-05, 08:57 PM
Got room for plant devotion?

Jeff the Green
2012-09-05, 08:59 PM
Got room for plant devotion?

Unfortunately no; as an archer I'm a bit feat starved. Plus, contrary to all sense, rebuke plant attempts doesn't fuel Plant Devotion, only turn/rebuke undead. :smallyuk:

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-05, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately no; as an archer I'm a bit feat starved. Plus, contrary to all sense, rebuke plant attempts doesn't fuel Plant Devotion, only turn/rebuke undead. :smallyuk:

He means trading the plant domain for plant devotion, which you can only do twice.

Urpriest
2012-09-05, 09:08 PM
If you worship a Plant-focused deity, perhaps you can get some plants via Planar Ally, then use Rebuke to keep them around.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-05, 09:18 PM
Go buy some plant monsters at the local monster mart. If your setting doesn't have one of those (it should, you just need to go looking in different planes), then go on a quest specifically to find and rebuke plant creatures. If your party has crafting down time, that would be the perfect couple of weeks to go into a swamp and look for Battlebriars and Nighttwists.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-05, 09:22 PM
He means trading the plant domain for plant devotion, which you can only do twice.

Ah, still no. I wasn't clear enough. Holt warden doesn't actually give you the Plant domain, just Rebuke Plants. (And domain slots, and the spells to put in them. But not the domain. :smallconfused:)

If you worship a Plant-focused deity, perhaps you can get some plants via Planar Ally, then use Rebuke to keep them around.

Hadn't thought of that. I'm a dryad and effectively worship myself (Plant and Charm domains, natch). It's a good idea (especially since this is Eberron and I can call an ally from Lamannia) if a few levels off.

Edit: Oh boo. (Lesser/Greater) Planar Ally only calls elementals and outsiders.

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-05, 09:22 PM
Or get a friendly druid to awaken some trees for you.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-05, 09:31 PM
Go buy some plant monsters at the local monster mart. If your setting doesn't have one of those (it should, you just need to go looking in different planes), then go on a quest specifically to find and rebuke plant creatures. If your party has crafting down time, that would be the perfect couple of weeks to go into a swamp and look for Battlebriars and Nighttwists.

Or get a friendly druid to awaken some trees for you.

Alas, also not options, at least not for the foreseeable future. This is planned to be a dungeon crawl campaign, entirely within a massive ruin in Xen'drik. Also, you rebuke as a cleric of your Holt Warden level, which in my case will be 2-4 for most of the mid-teens.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-05, 09:39 PM
Is it outsider or extraplanar? Because there are 4 extraplanar plant-monsters.

Bloodthorn (FiendFolio)

Dread Blossom Swarm (MMIII)

Ironmaw (FiendFolio)

Plague Brush (MMIII)

Jack_Simth
2012-09-05, 09:41 PM
Alas, also not options, at least not for the foreseeable future. This is planned to be a dungeon crawl campaign, entirely within a massive ruin in Xen'drik. Also, you rebuke as a cleric of your Holt Warden level, which in my case will be 2-4 for most of the mid-teens.
Well, if you can't seek out low-level plant creatures, and you can't buy them, and you're not going to find them, and you've already traded the domain, then... you've got a useless class feature. One of... apparently quite a few.

And yes, it's very explicitly "elemental or outsider" on the Planar Ally line.

Anxe
2012-09-05, 09:46 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm These two beauties are both found in nearly every underground environment. Your DM may have been forgetting to add them. Just give him a friendly reminder and you will soon have a Violet Fungus army following behind you.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-05, 09:49 PM
It's specifically "elemental or outsider." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarBindingLesser.htm)

And even if I convince my DM to waive that, there's still the problem that even getting a 22 on my turning check would allow me to command a 3 HD plant.

Well, if you can't seek out low-level plant creatures, and you can't buy them, and you're not going to find them, and you've already traded the domain, then... you've got a useless class feature. One of... apparently quite a few.

I was hoping there was a divine feat I was missing that might be useful and didn't specify turn/rebuke undead. Oh well, I entered the class for the boost to saves over more levels of cleric and the 1/day heal. It's not like I'm giving up useful stuff from cleric for a few useless/marginally useful class features.

zlefin
2012-09-05, 09:50 PM
i see two plans;
plan a:
rebuke a few shriekers
put them in bags of holding
???
profit

plan b:
find some of THESE
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phantomFungus.htm
mmm, greater invisibility minions

Knight13
2012-09-06, 08:37 AM
Rebuke Plants is awesome for gardening. Just use it every couple days to command the weeds not to grow. You can also use it to make your shrubs grow in whatever shape you like.

Novawurmson
2012-09-06, 01:21 PM
Rebuke Plants is awesome for gardening. Just use it every couple days to command the weeds not to grow. You can also use it to make your shrubs grow in whatever shape you like.

Talking to your plants helps them grow. REBUKING THE PLANTS WITH THE POWER OF YOUR OWN HOLY MIGHT is not recommended by most gardeners.