PDA

View Full Version : How would you give a Plant the Animal type?

metabolicjosh
2012-09-05, 11:01 PM
So I want to make a Goliath-Shambling Mound Lycanthope.

But i need to turn the SM into a animal.

Venger
2012-09-05, 11:51 PM
So I want to make a Goliath-Shambling Mound Lycanthope.

But i need to turn the SM into a animal.

just to clarify:

you want a goliath, whose lycanthrope form is a shambling mound, right?

you don't want a shambling mound who gains the humanoid type and then turns into a werex, you want an already humanoid were-shambling mound?

metabolicjosh
2012-09-06, 07:37 AM
Yes. But both are ok.

Venger
2012-09-06, 08:00 AM
I'm not entirely sure that's possible. I do enjoy a challenge in this game, but I'm not sure how "RAW" Savage species' pyramid type is. I know that it's not really new rules so much as it is a compilation of existing ones, but I don't know of a way that a plant can gain either the humanoid type or the animal type. come to think of it, I can't think of any way for someone of any type to gain the animal type

I'll let you know if I think of something, but I'm unfortunately drawing a blank atm.

Uncle Pine
2012-09-06, 08:16 AM
There is the monstrous lycanthrope template from Advanced Bestiary, which lets you create were-any living creature. There's an example of a tiefling were-hell hound warrior and a box about weretreants.
The idea of a were-shambling mound interest me: I'll try to build one later and post it, in case you don't have the book.

Venger
2012-09-06, 08:22 AM
There is the monstrous lycanthrope template from Advanced Bestiary, which lets you create were-any living creature. There's an example of a tiefling were-hell hound warrior and a box about weretreants.
The idea of a were-shambling mound interest me: I'll try to build one later and post it, in case you don't have the book.

I know very little about pathfinder, that would likely be valuable to OP. well done.

Uncle Pine
2012-09-06, 12:12 PM
I know very little about pathfinder, that would likely be valuable to OP. well done.

Just to clarify: I don't think that the Advanced Bestiary is Pathfinder. I'm not actually sure about it, but I always used it as a 3.5e supplement and it always worked fine, so I'm pretty confident.

Here is a list of what a goliath were-shambling mound would get:

+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con (normal form) or +14 Str, -2 Dex, +8 Con (monster and hybrid form);
Medium size (normal form) or Large size (monster and hybrid form);
Monstrous humanoid (shapechanger);
Land speed 30 ft (normal form) or land speed 20 ft and swim 20 ft (monster form) or land speed 30 ft and swim 10 ft (hybrid form);
8 racial HD (8d8+24 hp);
+2 natural armor (normal form) or +13 (monster and hybrid form);
BAB +6;
+2 Fort, +2 Refl, +6 Will;
(2+Int modifier, minimum 1)x11 skill points (class skills: Hide, Listen, Move Silently);
Iron Will, Power Attack and Weapon Focus (slam) as bonus feats*
2 slam attacks (2d6, monster form);
Curse of lycanthropy (Su) (only natural lycanthrope, monster and hybrid form**);
Alternate form (Su) (as a "normal" lycanthrope from MM1);
DR 10/silver (monster or hybrid form);
Lycanthropic empathy (Ex): +4 racial bonus on Cha-based checks made to influence shambling mounds;
Improved grab, constrict, darkvision 60 ft, immunity to electricity, low-light vision, plant traits, resistance to fire 10 (as a shambling mound, monster form);
Powerful build, mountain movement and acclimated (as a goliath, normal form);
+2 on Sense Motive checks (normal form) or +4 Hide (+12 when in a swampy or forested area), Listen and Move Silently checks (monster form);
LA +7

*You actually get gain the feats of the normal version of the were-creature, plus Iron Will if it doesn't has it. Thus, you would gain these 3 feats (normal shambling mounds already have Iron Will). A very poor choice of feats, in my opinion. You could ask your DM to use a custom selection of feats (that would grant you 3 bonus feat + Iron Will).
**By RAW, monstrous lycanthropi (?) does gain a bite attack and claw attacks in hybrid form only if they have them in monster form. Also, in order to spread the curse, the werecreature must hit his opponent with a bite while in monster or hybrid form. By RAW, shambling mounds don't have a bite attacks, which bring us to a paradox because were-shambling mounds shouldn't exist (unless we say that "a wizard did it" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt)). I would rule that were-shambling mounds can spread lycanthropy with their slam attacks. :smallwink:

metabolicjosh
2012-09-06, 05:43 PM
I have the book and cant find the template...

Uncle Pine
2012-09-07, 04:03 AM
I have the book and cant find the template...

"Monstrous lycanthrope", from p178 to p183.