PDA

View Full Version : Making a Meat Shield, of sorts. [Pathfinder]

13ones
2012-09-05, 11:35 PM
I've got a game right around the corner. While I'm making an Arcane class, I've also been tasked with making a Tank character. I don't know ANYTHING about Melee characters, let alone Tanks or Meat Shields. So...in terms of pathfinder (With The Core rules, Ultimate Combat and Magic, Advance Race Guide, Advance Players Guide being the texts we're allowed to use) how would I go about choosing what class, race, feats, skills, attribute spread, weapons and gear?

I literally know nothing about anything outside of Arcane casters.

ericgrau
2012-09-06, 12:47 AM
I did a life oracle with shield other, selective channeling and energy body that worked nicely. Later would come life link and a quickened cure ("combat healer" I think). Primary ability score is constitution not charisma, though gnome is nice for both. Also look into fast healer (APG) for +6 free hp per round (you cast 3 heals per round), toughness, reach spell and the talent that lets you apply free +1 metamagic to one spell, to get free reach on your shield other. Later grab the Holy Vindicator prc to empower your quickened cure, after combat healer (if that's what it's called).

The standard pathfinder ways might involve a reach weapon, combat reflexes and either stand still or improved trip. If you're indoors in tight spaces a lot you might not even need a reach weapon and then a shield might be better. As maligned as it is stalwart defender is very handy when you can block the way. And when you can't just don't use the stance, duh, come on people. If you're in dungeons a lot it's still a good choice. Outdoors less so, but at least it gives nice stats even when you're not using the stance. Once you start getting hurt you can save your life with combat expertise AC. Before that point you may want to save your attack bonus for attacks of opportunity unless you're in a 5 foot hallway.

I'd probably do the 2nd way if you expect a lot of dungeons and the first way if you expect a lot of wilderness.

jmelesky
2012-09-06, 10:57 AM
Also, there are a couple specific tactics you can use to distract enemies from your squishier allies:

The Antagonize (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/antagonize) feat allows you to make skill checks to either force enemies to attack you for a single round, or give them an incentive to attack you for a minute.

The Compel Hostility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/compel-hostility) spell is a handy way to redirect enemy attacks. It's available to most of the melee casters (though, oddly, not the Magus).

the clumsy bard
2012-09-06, 12:58 PM
This archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-orc/scarred-witch-doctor-witch-orc)

+

this:

Retribution (Su): A witch can place a retribution hex on a creature within 60 feet, causing terrible wounds to open across the target’s flesh whenever it deals damage to another creature in melee. Immediately after the hexed creature deals damage in melee, it takes half that damage (round down). This damage bypasses any resistances, immunities, or damage reduction the creature possesses. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the witch’s Intelligence modifier. A Will save negates this effect.

At early levels you are a high strength orc and put most of your points into constitution (shocking!!!)

You can then have fun being a tank of sorts by taking fun witch spells and maybe this hex:
Prehensile Hair (Su): The witch can instantly cause her hair (or even her eyebrows) to grow up to 10 feet long or to shrink to its normal length, and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her Intelligence score. Her hair has reach 10 feet, and she can use it as a secondary natural attack that deals 1d3 points of damage (1d2 for a Small witch). Her hair can manipulate objects (but not weapons) as dexterously as a human hand. The hair cannot be sundered or attacked as a separate creature. Pieces cut from the witch’s elongated hair shrink away to nothing. Using her hair does not harm the witch’s head or neck, even if she lifts something heavy with it. The witch can manipulate her hair a number of minutes each day equal to her level; these minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments. A typical male witch with this hex can also manipulate his beard, moustache, or eyebrows.

The imagery of a bearded orc witch who's beard is tangling up the opponents is a little fun / hilarious.

watchwood
2012-09-06, 01:03 PM
If you're looking into something that's still partly an arcane caster, consider a Bard or Magus build. I'm particularly partial to the Kensai Magus, as they get a lot of nice abilities.

jmelesky
2012-09-06, 02:24 PM
.... This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the witch’s IntelligenceConstitution modifier....

...and can manipulate her hair as if it were a limb with a Strength score equal to her IntelligenceConstitution score....

Editing, in case it wasn't clear. The Scarred Witch Doctor gets to use Con instead of Int for these powers (and any other hex powers that mention Int).

doko239
2012-09-06, 04:56 PM
Probably the most powerful meat-shield possible is the Synthesist Summoner (paizo.com%252FpathfinderRPG%252Fprd%252FultimateM agic%252FspellcastingClassOptions%252Fsummoner.htm l) archetype from Ultimate Magic.

Essentially, you bond with your eidolon, gaining all of its evolutions and physical stats, while retaining your own mental stats and spellcasting ability. You also get the eidolon's HP as temporary hit points, and can share HP between yourself and the eidolon.

It has some big achilles heels (antimagic field is your kryptonite, for example), but for sheer durability and versatility you won't find anything better tank-wise in PF.

If you go this route, I'd recommend Half-Elf for the base race, as the extra evolution points will really add up.

grarrrg
2012-09-06, 05:23 PM
I've got a game right around the corner. While I'm making an Arcane class, I've also been tasked with making a Tank character. I don't know ANYTHING about Melee characters, let alone Tanks or Meat Shields. So...in terms of pathfinder (With The Core rules, Ultimate Combat and Magic, Advance Race Guide, Advance Players Guide being the texts we're allowed to use) how would I go about choosing what class, race, feats, skills, attribute spread, weapons and gear?

Just making sure, you are making 2 separate characters right?
Not that you need an Arcane-Meatshield character.
Although that is somewhat doable.
The Summoner on its own is solid (you don't need Synthesist), the Summoner does the casting and the Eidolon does the smashing. For Tank purposes, I'd go Biped for the improved Reach.
Or, you could always go Sorcerer 1/[full bab]4/Dragon Disciple for smashy and casty.

Assuming 2 characters this gets a LOT easier, and/or a lot more involved.
You said you know Arcane, so I'll move onto Tank.

First off, the "classical" role of Tank does not generally apply to DnD or PF, due to the fact that it's hard to "draw aggro". That being said, there are some possibilities.

Again, Summoner is solid with or without Synthesist for providing a Meatshield.

Paladin+Oracle=Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13120545#post13120545)
Take Oracle with the Life Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/life) for 3 levels, grab the Channel and Life Link revelations.
Then take Hospitaler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/hospitaler) Paladin for 4 levels.
The gist of the build is that the Life Link will draw all the damage to you (over time), and you only need to occasionally Swift Action Lay on Hands yourself to, effectively, heal everyone.
You also have 4+CHAx2 uses of Channel Energy for group heals.
The beauty of the Oradin is that it only needs 3 stats, STR, CON, and CHA (can swap DEX for STR if desired). Wear Heavy Armor, and choose your attack style. You can be the group healer without 'wasting' valuable actions healing anyone/everyone.
After level 7 you are free to take more Oracle or Paladin, or you can PrC into Holy Vindicator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/holy-vindicator) for a mix of both.

Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) can fill just about any role, and is able to use Judgment to boost his AC, Saves, get Fast Healing, etc... so is quite flexible in the type of Defense that is needed. Also has 2/3 Spontaneous Divine casting.

13ones
2012-09-06, 10:01 PM
Yes, it is two separate characters. Turns out we may have someone who is much better than I am playing an arcane role, and I was told by my GM that we still need something with plate armour that does a lot of damage and can basically be a meat shield. I've never done Marshal classes before so the whole idea about attack roles and the like seems far more confusing then just tossing out a bunch of spells.