PDA

View Full Version : Cleric-Shaman ??

MysticMind
2012-09-06, 05:24 AM
Do you think i can give Spirit Shaman the cleric spell list instead of the Druid ?
If yes, can you tell me what abilities should be banned, in order to maintain class balance

HunterOfJello
2012-09-06, 06:41 AM
The question is more likely, "what else should be added?" rather than, "what should be taken away/banned?"

The Cleric spell list is one that works well for a prepared caster, but doesn't work too great for spontaneous casters. They have tons of awesome utility spells that work great on a once/day fashion, but aren't worth toting around on a spontaneous caster. It might end up a bit of an improvement compared to the Favored Soul though.

Urpriest
2012-09-06, 09:28 AM
What in particular are you aiming for here? I think it would likely be viable, but it seems like a bizarre choice when there are lots of classes that do what you're aiming for.

Roguenewb
2012-09-06, 09:54 AM
I think you'd be okay. The cleric spell-list is considered (up for debate) to be a better spell-list than the Druid one. On top of that, Spirit Shaman is already a really good casting mechanic. It's arguably the best casting mechanic printed. You get perhaps one less spell per level access per day than a druid, but you can mix and match them during the day. If they had ever printed a Spirit Shaman with the wizard spell list...wowser. Might have been the best tier 1.

I believe that Shaman would easily be tier 1 with the cleric list, as it's casting mechanic is easily as good as the cleric's. The class abilities are a little less (mainly cause it's hard to qualify for anything with them).

What might be more fair would to swap druid casting with the spirit shaman casting mechanic.