PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Help me search for a peculiar weapon

Darius Kane
2012-09-06, 05:29 AM
I want to make a character that's similar to Captain Kuro from One Piece. For that reason I need to find a weapon that would best represent a 3.P version of his weapons, which are gloves with katana blades on each finger.
Here's a picture:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/071/0/b/Captain_Kuro_by_skitchthewolf.jpg
I'm searching for a weapon, simple, martial or exotic, that either is or could be reasonably fluffed as what Capt. Kuro is using in the anime.
Alternatively, give me suggestions for a homebrew weapon.

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 07:12 AM
That looks like an (Asian) Indian bagh nakh (Oriental Adventures), except those blades are much longer.

You could probably take a bagh nakh and up the damage by one die step.

Hyde
2012-09-06, 07:19 AM
Call it a d6 slashing and be done with it. If you want, you can treat it as a modified (and slightly beefed) spiked gauntlet for the purposes of feats and what have you.

Darius Kane
2012-09-06, 07:20 AM
That looks like an (Asian) Indian bagh nakh (Oriental Adventures), except those blades are much longer.

You could probably take a bagh nakh and up the damage by one die step.
Maybe I could use a larger sized bagh nakh and take a feat for wielding larger weapons?

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 07:29 AM
You don't need my permission to homebrew.

Realistically, that weapon with katana-sized blades would break your wrist. Purely by coincidence, there is a Japanese weapon called a nekode (literally, cat-hand) that also resembles this except for the size of blades (and position, but I digress).

Rules-wise, any kind of oversized weapon fighting is ridiculously sub-optimal.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-06, 07:33 AM
Dragonslayer Claws from Dragon Magic are similar, but they fit over actual claws.

The Claw Bracer in the Arms and Equipment Guide is similar.

~

You aren't going to find anything that is exactly the same, since that type of weapon wouldn't even work properly in real life.

Darius Kane
2012-09-06, 07:39 AM
I don't ask for your permission. I avoid homebrewing unless there's no other way to do something within the rules in my games. Making the weapon larger and taking a feat like Monkey Grip is within the rules. I was just asking your opinion.

Realistically, that weapon with katana-sized blades would break your wrist.
This is D&D. Realism does often make place for cool stuff.

Maybe. But with a good build it can work. And it doesn't matter if it's underpowered or not when it's an NPC who's doing it, because I can always give him more levels if the need arises.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 07:43 AM

Realistically, that weapon with katana-sized blades would break your wrist. Purely by coincidence, there is a Japanese weapon called a nekode (literally, cat-hand) that also resembles this except for the size of blades (and position, but I digress).

I have to disagree, one or even two size increases are indeed sub-optimal; but if you really pile up the increases (Greater Mighty Wallop, Expansion, etc) you can get a lot of mileage out of big weapons (see the king of smack). You do need a weapon with a naturally big weapon damage to make the most out of it though.

Razanir
2012-09-06, 07:48 AM

Actually, I once built a Small character who fought better by using a M Shortsword as opposed to a S Longsword. (He wasn't proficient with martial weapons)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 07:52 AM
Actually, I once built a Small character who fought better by using a M Shortsword as opposed to a S Longsword. (He wasn't proficient with martial weapons)

Were you using the 3.0 weapon size rules? Because they changed in the transition to 3.5 and now a Medium Shortsword while identical stat wise to a small longsword would impose a -2 size penalty if used by a small character

Inappropriately Sized Weapons
A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

Darius Kane
2012-09-06, 08:06 AM
But short sword is also a martial weapon. Was he a Rogue or Bard?

Diarmuid
2012-09-06, 08:10 AM
Were you using the 3.0 weapon size rules? Because they changed in the transition to 3.5 and now a Medium Shortsword while identical stat wise to a small longsword would impose a -2 size penalty if used by a small character

Pretty sure he was...the -2 for size would still be better than the -4 for nonproficiency that he mentioned.

sdream
2012-09-06, 08:12 AM

I believe his point was that while a M short sword and a L long sword have identical stats, he was proficient in short sword, but not long sword.

Thus the -2 for inappropriate size was better than the -4 for unproficient.

I would use a weapon I was both proficient AND big enough to hold comfortably, but to each their own.

EDIT - viciously double swordsaged.

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 09:14 AM
I don't ask for your permission. I avoid homebrewing unless there's no other way to do something within the rules in my games. Making the weapon larger and taking a feat like Monkey Grip is within the rules. I was just asking your opinion.

Ah okay then. Within the rules, that weapon simply doesn't exist. Yet.

The grip is drawn wrong for it to merely be an oversized bagh nakh.

Darius Kane
2012-09-06, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I know it doesn't exist. I'm looking for a weapon that could be at least refluffed as it.
I couldn't find bagh nakh in Oriental Adventures (that's the 3rd ed book, with Rokugan as setting, right?), but I looked it up on Google images. Not pretty.

Answerer
2012-09-06, 10:12 AM
Change a spiked gauntlet's damage to Slashing. Or a Punchdagger. Whatever.

Make it a One-handed Weapon maybe if you want a damage-die increase. Doesn't work terribly well for TWF'ing. Alternatively, call it exotic and let it be Light and have the damage-die increase.

3.5's weapons are extremely simple. The system just doesn't care what your weapon looks like. Have it be whatever you want.

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I know it doesn't exist. I'm looking for a weapon that could be at least refluffed as it.
I couldn't find bagh nakh in Oriental Adventures (that's the 3rd ed book, with Rokugan as setting, right?), but I looked it up on Google images. Not pretty.

Sorry, should have been more specific. The fluff notes that nekode and bagh nakh are basically the same weapon, stats-wise.

Garagos
2012-09-06, 11:08 AM
Maybe check the stats on Bladed Gauntlets. They're an exotic weapon from Arms & Equipment Guide I think. If not there they existed in Sword and Fist from 3.0 but I know the crit range got changed from 17-20 to 18-20.

Keld Denar
2012-09-06, 02:39 PM
There is no way that weapon is even remotely useful against anyone with ANY amount of armor. There is simply no way to put any force behind them. They are more likely to break your fingers when you try to hit something than actually cut someone. They need to be supported up the arm, each one, more like a katar. These things are even more ridiculous than a spiked chain, and that's saying something!

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 03:02 PM
There is no way that weapon is even remotely useful against anyone with ANY amount of armor. There is simply no way to put any force behind them. They are more likely to break your fingers when you try to hit something than actually cut someone. They need to be supported up the arm, each one, more like a katar. These things are even more ridiculous than a spiked chain, and that's saying something!

Hush. You're making the catgirls cry :smalleek:

Answerer
2012-09-06, 04:49 PM
There was the female-Wolverine in one of the X-Men movies who had similar claws. Adamantium-reinforced, specially-modified skeletal structures might be able to solve those problems.

For a normal human? Nah. But then, D&D doesn't care about things like that. A level 1 Barbarian can break every sprinting record on the books... while wearing a chain shirt, in the middle of combat, across uneven ground, and he can keep it up for distances that would never otherwise qualify as a sprint. Anyone limited by the restrictions of the human body in D&D is an NPC. A low-level one, at that.

doko239
2012-09-06, 05:17 PM
Not really 3.5, but the Pata (paizo.com%252FpathfinderRPG%252Fprd%252FultimateC ombat%252Fcombat%252FgladiatorWeapons.html) from Pathfinder could be refluffed really easily. It's essentially a short sword blade strapped to a gauntlet. 1d6 damage, x3 crit, +10 vs disarm. You could ask your GM if you can import it.

Darius Kane
2012-09-07, 12:49 AM
I'm the DM.