PDA

View Full Version : Unicorns!

Akto
2012-09-06, 08:12 AM
Hey there playground =)

I am looking to make a Healer (i know it's not the most optimal, but really like the fluff) I want to have a lot of focus on the unicorn companion part of the class, and like the idea of getting more unicorns, but have a hard time of finding out how to.

So far i've found the "Beloved of Valarian" prestige class, but as far as i can see the unicorn doesn't improve it's abities, so not sure it would be worth it in the long run. Also the feat tax is eech!

Another possibilty i have found is the wild cohort feat combined with the exalted cohort feat, but wild cohort seems a bit subpar in it self, and the exalted unicorn takes the companion down 6 more on the "abilities gained" table

So playground anyone have some awesome suggestions for me, or can say that i might have misunderstood some parts of these abilities

Roguenewb
2012-09-06, 09:59 AM
I dunno about this whole unicorn idea, but I will say this, Wild Cohort is not a bad feat. Remember how an animal companion is better than a fighter? Well, wild cohort is 1 hd below a druid's, big whoop.

Telonius
2012-09-06, 10:12 AM
The Leadership feat could get you an additional Unicorn. The cohort LA is +4, so combined with the HD, it's effectively a level-8 Cohort. The unicorn cohort can gain class levels; I believe this means it would out-perform your Companion Unicorn as far as hit dice goes (both number and possibly size, depending on the class it takes).

EDIT: Wild Cohort won't really help you get any more unicorns. It will only give you an Animal cohort, while Unicorn is a magical beast and also not on the Druid list of companions.

herrhauptmann
2012-09-06, 11:22 AM
If you do take Beloved of Valerian, rmember to play smartly with your unicorn. The thing is fragile.

Story:
A while back I was in a level 12 game where the healer rode her unicorn around everywhere. Including into melee range with some Tiamat themed brute type monster. The monster of tiamat was also inside a building with very little room to maneuver. :smallconfused: (we rolled very high on the random encounter table)
The unicorn didn't actually die from melee damage. It failed a save and died instantly from the Tiamat creature using a breath weapon on the grouped members of the party.

Akto
2012-09-06, 12:28 PM
EDIT: Wild Cohort won't really help you get any more unicorns. It will only give you an Animal cohort, while Unicorn is a magical beast and also not on the Druid list of companions.

As far as i understand exalted Companion should change that so you can get an Unicorn

Dayaz
2012-09-06, 05:42 PM
what level are you playing at? I can ask my friend for his build, he once made one from boredom that had 3-5 unicorns at... level 12? maybe 15?

(also, with a conjurer wizard you can Summon Monster a few in... yay for effective wizard healing!)

Roguenewb
2012-09-06, 08:07 PM
As far as i understand exalted Companion should change that so you can get an Unicorn

Teeeeeeeechinally Wild Cohort doesn't give you an animal companion, it gives you a very special thing that follows you, so Exalted Companion is qualified for.

metabolicjosh
2012-09-06, 10:42 PM
Dragon cohort gives 3 free LA and never specifies that the cohort must be a dragon...

Akto
2012-09-07, 01:46 AM
what level are you playing at? I can ask my friend for his build, he once made one from boredom that had 3-5 unicorns at... level 12? maybe 15?

(also, with a conjurer wizard you can Summon Monster a few in... yay for effective wizard healing!)

Game is at level 11

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-09-07, 01:59 AM

Summoning unicorns is done through Summon Nature's Ally. You can Summon Monster a fiendish rhinoceros, of course, and pretend it is a unicorn :smallsmile:.

CTrees
2012-09-07, 12:52 PM
Summoning unicorns is done through Summon Nature's Ally. You can Summon Monster a fiendish rhinoceros, of course, and pretend it is a unicorn :smallsmile:.

Dammit now I want to put a Hat of Disguise on a fiendish rhinoceros and try to pass it off as a unicorn.

Person_Man
2012-09-07, 01:01 PM
The Celestial Unicorn provided by the Healer class (miniatures handbook) is actually quite strong, and gets a wide variety of abilities as you gain Healer levels. The most important one is Share Spells. Ride your Unicorn, have it fight for you, buff or heal your allies, and anything you cast on yourself will be shared by the Unicorn. Since the Healer has tons of healing resources, it and you are unkillable unless enemies can one-shot it before you act.

If you're going Healer 20 or something like that to maximize your Unicorn's power, you should consider using one of the homebrew versions floating around the forum. A simple fix is to just give them purely Cha based casting (RAW relies on Cha AND Wis), with spontaneous spells (RAW is memorized), and add all Good spells to their spell list (especially the Exalted spells from BoED).

Akto
2012-09-07, 01:19 PM
The Celestial Unicorn provided by the Healer class (miniatures handbook) is actually quite strong, and gets a wide variety of abilities as you gain Healer levels. The most important one is Share Spells. Ride your Unicorn, have it fight for you, buff or heal your allies, and anything you cast on yourself will be shared by the Unicorn. Since the Healer has tons of healing resources, it and you are unkillable unless enemies can one-shot it before you act.

If you're going Healer 20 or something like that to maximize your Unicorn's power, you should consider using one of the homebrew versions floating around the forum. A simple fix is to just give them purely Cha based casting (RAW relies on Cha AND Wis), with spontaneous spells (RAW is memorized), and add all Good spells to their spell list (especially the Exalted spells from BoED).

You hit my plan almost spot on Good sir :) i was planning on taking healer all the way and trying to sweettalk my DM into allowing some Of the fixes, at the dame time my plan was to stat in the background gaving my unicorn fight for me and Them i found it fun to see if i could afd Even møre unicorn din to the mix, preferably unicorns that gained power as i di