PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Tabletops, my DM left the country...

Bloodgruve
2012-09-06, 12:06 PM
My DM has recently moved from the US to Japan. We had been running D20pro/skype for a couple months now but his new location/setup is not allowing us to connect up.

Does anyone here know of a virtual tabletop or other program that is maybe web based or not peer to peer and good to work with? d20pro has a nice system for combat but we don't need that specifically, just a table top to track position and have some idea of what the battlefield looks like.

Suggestions are appreciated, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Blood~

Babale
2012-09-06, 12:43 PM
http://www.idroo.com/

Idroo is basically a whiteboard for Skype. You drag images onto it and everyone who is connected can manipulate them. I DM over Skype, so I make a map with a grid, drag it into Idroo, and lock it. Then I drag tokens for the players and monsters. After that, each person moves his own tokens. You can even find templates of various shapes (like a 30 foot cone, for example) that you can drag in when your dragon breathes fire or something.

When someone takes damage, I put a red number on them (For PCs, its their hit points ATM. For monsters, its how much damage they've taken). I put up a white square for something like Web, or a green one for Entangle. I put a yellow circle around someone who is nauseated, for example. When someone is dead, I turn their token sideways. It's a headache at first, but you get used to it and it moves very fast.

darni
2012-09-06, 02:33 PM
roll20.net?

sdream
2012-09-06, 02:34 PM
I've been using roll20.net

Very nice, web based. Need a modern browser though (chrome, firefox, safari, IE9 (not IE8))

Bloodgruve
2012-09-07, 08:07 AM
Took a look at both sites. I'm sure we will be able to use one of them. Thank you for saving my game. I was afraid that our party would be eternally stuck in the depths of a Drow city...

Blood~