PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a land speed of 380?

Delirium Darkan
2012-09-06, 01:54 PM
So a friend of mine in my party has been blessed with an ungodly land speed playing 3.5. He's already has 5 levels of cleric and is able to cast haste, and has a couple of levels in swift hunter I believe. Is there any feats, items, etc. that compliment something with this ridiculous land speed in the form of damage, skill tricks, or weird things like running around someone and hog tying them?

Ashtagon
2012-09-06, 01:55 PM
So a friend of mine in my party has been blessed with an ungodly land speed playing 3.5. He's already has 5 levels of cleric and is able to cast haste, and has a couple of levels in swift hunter I believe. Is there any feats, items, etc. that compliment something with this ridiculous land speed in the form of damage, skill tricks, or weird things like running around someone and hog tying them?

Ridiculous land speed? Hardly. It's much less than 9000.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-09-06, 01:58 PM
Tornado throw from ToB is fun with lots of speed, iirc.

Basically you run around and throw your enemies wherever you want, or you can throw one guy really, really far. I think the record is into the sun, i.e into outer space, where the lack of friction just keeps the poor target going.

kitcik
2012-09-06, 02:01 PM
What do you do with a land speed of 380?

About 173 mph if I am not mistaken.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-06, 02:20 PM
My guess is that, with a land speed of 380, what you do is you move 380 ft (76 squares) with your move action.

VGLordR2
2012-09-06, 02:24 PM
There's the spell Body Blaze, which leaves a wall of fire behind you as you run.

A level in Binder and the Improved Binding feat allows you to bind Paimon the Dancer, which will allow you to attack every enemy that you move next to each turn.

Also, are you absolutely certain that the various movement speed bonuses that the player is using will stack with each other? They usually don't.

laeZ1
2012-09-06, 02:53 PM
Also, are you absolutely certain that the various movement speed bonuses that the player is using will stack with each other? They usually don't.

This, please.

If they do, props to the player. Please share your secret.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-06, 04:49 PM
"Jumplomancer".

Red_Death01
2012-09-06, 04:54 PM
....Dervish? Begin your 76 full attacks each round on several opponents or even just one?

kitcik
2012-09-06, 04:55 PM
"Jumplomancer".

+1 for the correct answer to the OP's question.:smalltongue:

Delirium Darkan
2012-09-06, 07:37 PM
There's the spell Body Blaze, which leaves a wall of fire behind you as you run.

A level in Binder and the Improved Binding feat allows you to bind Paimon the Dancer, which will allow you to attack every enemy that you move next to each turn.

One of the things you do have to keep in mind is that, in this campaign, each character was central casted. So my friend rolled ridiculous speed and physical DR, which is still ramping btw. Was 320 and now 380.
This is his BASE land speed!!!

So what I'm seeing is the potential to be broken but don't see the godslayer potential yet. Do like the Tornado Throw idea.

Can he yo-yo between or step away and come back with opponents with the Binder Class? so when adjacent to an opponent with 76 squares he goes back 5 feet then comes in adjacent over and over for 38 attacks? Down side is the oppoonets would get his full attacks of opportunity though.

sonofzeal
2012-09-06, 07:45 PM
"Jumplomancer".
Yep. The moment I saw this thread, I was betting on how many posts it'd take for this word to come up. I'm shocked and dismayed it wasn't in the first 5.

zlefin
2012-09-06, 07:57 PM
a not very broken but still fun thing to do with super high move speed is to combine a non-swift source of pounce with the Hustle psionic ability.
So you get to charge in, full attack, then swift action walk away. Full spring attack from 380 feet would be fun.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-06, 07:58 PM
Take Travel Devotion and a level in Pouncebarian. Charge + Full Attack, Travel Devotion away, next round Charge again. Enemy will never reach you.

Challenge people to races and laugh.

Walk through the whole dungeon in a move action to scout it out.

Jump over buildings.

Novawurmson
2012-09-06, 08:00 PM
spring attack from 380 feet

Run up, punch them in the face, run away. It's a -1 to spot checks per 10 feet of distance, so good luck to them finding him with potentially a -38 on their spot check. Even better if you can break line of sight.

Medic!
2012-09-06, 08:31 PM
I don't remember dervish dance itself giving you extra attacks, I just remember it specifying that you are allowed to full-attack and move at the same time as long as you move at least 5 ft between attacks.

For my own mediocre contribution: Choose an enemy out of a group, grapple it to a pin, and run away with it to curb-stomp it with all your buddies a safe distance from its allies.

Dublock
2012-09-06, 08:55 PM
I just know if someone at my table had a speed of 380 feet per round that person is going to break out a recording of Super Smash Bros Brawl of Sonic's "You're to slow!" taunt and then play it, every time he moves.

That might lead to a quick player death :smallamused:

Endarire
2012-09-06, 09:02 PM
Chuck (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5788.0) E. Cheese.

Thump
2012-09-06, 09:25 PM
Take the Run feat and see how fast he can run across the world. Test the DM to see if you can run across water.

380 x 5 = 1900 feet per round, or more than half a KM per round. At 19000 feet per minute, that's 6.33 km per minute. Per hour, that's 379.8 km/hour. Assuming you ran for 12 hours/day, that's 4557.6 km per day. At about 40,000 km of circumference, it's a bit less than 8 days to run around the Earth.

Or, see how far he can jump. His speed would net him a +140 modifier. If he were a Thri-Kreen, he would have +170.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-06, 10:39 PM
Or, see how far he can jump. His speed would net him a +140 modifier. If he were a Thri-Kreen, he would have +170.

Warblade dip for the +10 Jump stance (which also means you don't need a running start), and the swift-action jump boost. Now you can probably jump ~20ft up standing in place. Take Battle Jump, so you can charge people for free by jumping/falling next to them. Pouncebarian dip so every one is a full attack.

Jump in place next to opponents and get free charge full attacks for every jump. Your only limit is the distance you can move in a round, which Jumping counts against, so, assuming each jump is 20ft, you can make 19 Full Attacks (twice that if you double-move), assuming you began your movement standing next to the guy. Also get a good Tumble modifier so you don't eat AoOs.

Then prepare to call an ambulance after your DM fractures your skull with a thrown DMG.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-06, 10:54 PM
One of the things you do have to keep in mind is that, in this campaign, each character was central casted. So my friend rolled ridiculous speed and physical DR, which is still ramping btw. Was 320 and now 380.
This is his BASE land speed!!!

So what I'm seeing is the potential to be broken but don't see the godslayer potential yet. Do like the Tornado Throw idea.

Can he yo-yo between or step away and come back with opponents with the Binder Class? so when adjacent to an opponent with 76 squares he goes back 5 feet then comes in adjacent over and over for 38 attacks? Down side is the oppoonets would get his full attacks of opportunity though.

The deuce is "central casted?"

I'm not at all familiar with such a mechanic.

Crasical
2012-09-06, 11:40 PM

Seconded. I'm not familiar with the phrase.

animewatcha
2012-09-06, 11:57 PM
Closest I can find is a Central Casting - Heroes of legends book. Probably 'roll and determine what superpower you have as a hero.'

Psyren
2012-09-07, 12:40 AM
Run up, punch them in the face, run away. It's a -1 to spot checks per 10 feet of distance, so good luck to them finding him with potentially a -38 on their spot check. Even better if you can break line of sight.

That'll work for precisely one attack - after that, they can ready actions to hit or cast at you. So you're not quite the Flash.

And yeah, I'd love to check the legality of this too.

TuggyNE
2012-09-07, 01:23 AM
Closest I can find is a Central Casting - Heroes of legends book. Probably 'roll and determine what superpower you have as a hero.'

So, what, the system that made AD&D psionics so ... "wonderful"?

Delirium Darkan
2012-09-07, 01:56 AM

Central Casting is a broad term but the earliest I know of is the AD&D "Heroes of Legends."
Central Casting give you a background (birth, family, lineage), Child hood and adulthood till the point you started playing, and personality traits.Sometimes all of these things are not assigned depending on your DM. One of the best is the "Heroes of Legends."
The one with the current party is we roll % for Bane Birth Bond and Blood + 10 more % and a d1000. Roll again on crits and roll another d10 if you got doubles and see if you got triples.
I got a crit on my blood roll and became a terran human instead of a regular human. I also acquired a glass ring I don't know anything about yet other than that it is magical.
Suggest this to your DM if this interests you and add another game mechanic that makes things interesting. You may get cursed, "altered," or dismembered in central casting, so you won't always get just awesome things.

Psyren
2012-09-07, 02:23 AM
Does any of that have anything to do with his speed?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-07, 02:29 AM
O_o

I saw a d1000 in there. I like precision, but that's a bit too precise. Anything you've only got a 1:1000 chance of getting would either be obscenely powerful or would make your character almost unplayable, I'd imagine.

Delirium Darkan
2012-09-07, 11:01 AM
Does any of that have anything to do with his speed?

O_o

I saw a d1000 in there. I like precision, but that's a bit too precise. Anything you've only got a 1:1000 chance of getting would either be obscenely powerful or would make your character almost unplayable, I'd imagine.

He rolled double 2s then rolled another 2 and got the speed.

Another party member got four 10s on the d1000 and got a scythe from a god without it being possesed. It isn't all too powerful as you would imagine, but is a good healing ability. I can on imagine if he rolled another 10 after ther d1000.
This campaign the dm wanted to give everyone something powerful to play with and the level ramp is basically a level a game. He's just playing with the idea of it is all.