PDA

View Full Version : Chaos mage spells

OblivionBlade
2012-09-06, 04:11 PM
I've been thinking of using a chaos mage {www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Chaos_Mage_(3.5e_Class)} in one of my campaigns, and i looked at the spell list. Upon considering the list given, i realized, hey, this list is waay too short. Over the past few weeks, I've whipped up a bunch of chaotic spells, and i'm seeking comments on em. Please don't leave one-word answers.

These spells are all meant to be used by someone who's completely lost it, and thus, are meant to be chaotic, and strangely effective.

Rain of Fruitcake

Spell level: 3 Arcane

Spell school: Conjuration

Range: 20 feet

Components: somatic, verbal, material

Material: A pinch of sugar

Description: Summons a cloud of stale holiday fruitcakes, encompassing a 10-foot diameter area. The cloud contains 10 + (1 per caster level) fruit cakes, 3 of which rain from the cloud per round. Objects struck by the fruitcakes take 1d6 + (1 per 3 caster levels, to the max of level 15) bludgeoning, magic damage. These fruitcakes disappear after the third round of touching the ground, and may be thrown for 1d3 damage bludgeoning, magic damage, and proficiency wise, they are stones.

Summon Beehive

Spell level: 3 Arcane

Range: 20 feet

Components: Somatic, verbal, material

Material: A spoonful of honey

Description: Summons a large, angry beehive full of bees, which swarm out and attack the nearest target for 2d6 + (1 per 5 caster levels) piercing, magic damage per round. The bees will swarm for 3 rounds, at the end of which the bees explode into a black-and-yellow powder, and the beehive becomes a mushy paste. The powder and paste have no unusual properties, besides tasting vaguely of cheese. The bees may be destroyed before the duration ends by an area-of-effect spell, however, the target will often be harmed in doing so. The bee stings have a 1 in 10 chance of becoming infected, dealing an additional 1d3 constitution damage. If a roll of cheese is within 40 feet of the beehive, the bees will always attack it, instead of any other target.

Ray of Silverware

Spell level: 1 Arcane

Spell school: Evocation

Range: 40 feet, ray

Components: verbal, somatic
Description: Shoots a ray of enchanted silverware at a target, (And an additional ray for every 5 levels) the ray has a 33% chance to be a spoon, a 33% chance to be a knife, and a 33% chance to be a fork. All silverware has the properties of doing 1d4 + (1 per 2 caster levels, maxing at level 6) silver, magic damage. Spoons deal bludgeoning, forks deal piercing, and knives deal slashing damage, as well. All silverware shot disintegrate 1 round after being shot, and have no value.

Fishcake

Spell level: 1 Arcane

Range: 10 feet

Components: verbal, somatic

Description: Summons a small trout, which flops around. After 1 round, the trout explodes, dealing 1d6 (+ 1 per 2 levels, maximum level 8) lightning, magic damage to targets within 5 feet of the fish. The fish will detonate earlier if slain, and is, to all identification, a common river trout, however, it constantly emits a ticking noise from its midsection. If the fish is near water, it will still flop around, on top of the surface of the water,
as if it were ice. Attempting to consume the fish is not recommended.

Power word: “Sombrero”

Spell Level: 1 Arcane

Range: 20 feet centered on the caster

Components: Verbal

Description: Upon uttering the word “Sombrero”, all targets within 20 feet of the caster, including the caster, have giant sombreros dropped on top of them. These sombreros turn into salsa after 3 rounds, deal no damage, and require a dc 14 strength check to lift, often pinning the weak down under the hats. These hats may be cut with weapons; however, due to enchantments upon the hats, they are immune to weapons that are below +1. The salsa is entirely edible, although it has a mild metallic taste, and is very, very spicy.

Flesh to copper

Spell level: 2 Arcane

Spell school: Transmutation

Range: Touch

Material: 1 copper piece

Description: Turns a portion of the target’s flesh into copper pieces, inflicting 2d4 + (1 per caster level) magic damage, and creating a number of copper coins equivalent to the amount of damage dealt. These coins have no magical properties, and may be used as currency, as long as the method of obtaining the coins is kept from the shopkeeper.

Flesh to silver

Spell level: 4 Arcane

Material: 1 copper piece

Description: Turns a portion of the target’s flesh into silver pieces, inflicting 2d6 + (1 per 2 caster levels) magic damage, and creating a number of silver coins equivalent to the amount of damage dealt. These coins have no magical properties, and may be used as currency, as long as the method of obtaining the coins is kept from the shopkeeper.

Flesh to Gold

Spell level: 6 Arcane

Material: 1 gold piece

Description: Turns a portion of the target’s flesh into gold pieces, inflicting 2d8 + (1 per 3 caster levels) magic damage, and creating a number of gold coins equivalent to the amount of damage dealt. These coins have no magical properties, and may be used as currency, as long as the method of obtaining the coins is kept from the shopkeeper.

Flesh to platinum

Spell level: 8 Arcane

Material: 1 platinum piece

Description: Turns a portion of the target’s flesh into platinum pieces, inflicting 2d10 + (1 per 4 caster levels) magic damage, and creating a number of platinum coins equivalent to the amount of damage dealt. These coins have no magical properties, and may be used as currency, as long as the method of obtaining the coins is kept from the shopkeeper.

Lesser Cone of Squid

Spell level: 2 Arcane

Range: 20 feet cone

Components: somatic, verbal
Description: The caster summons and fires immeasurable amounts of squid from his/her fingers, in a 45 degree cone in front of the caster. The cone impacts everything in range for 2d4 frost, magic damage, due to the squids exploding into frost. Targets struck by the squid must make a single dc 10 concentration check, or else receive a -2 ac penalty until the end of the next round.

Cone of Squid

Spell level: 5 Arcane

Description: The caster summons and fires immeasurable amounts of angry, mutant squid from his/her fingers, in a 45 degree cone in front of the caster. The cone impacts everything in range for 5d4 frost, magic damage, due to the squids exploding into frost and ink. Targets struck by the squid must make a single dc 18 concentration check, or else receive a -4 ac penalty until the end of the next round. Also, targets struck must make a dc 14 fortitude save, or be blinded for 2 rounds.

Greater Cone of Squid

Spell level: 8 Arcane

Description: The caster summons and fires immeasurable amounts of angry, mutant, giant squid from his/her fingers, in a 45 degree cone in front of the caster. The cone impacts everything in range for 10d4 frost, magic damage, due to the squids exploding into frost. Targets struck by the squid must make a single dc 18 concentration check, or else receive a -4 ac penalty until the end of the next round. Also, targets struck must make a dc 16 fortitude save, or be blinded for 2 rounds.

Summon Abomination

Spell level: 5 Arcane

Range: 5 feet

Material: A drop of blood

Description: The caster summons a monstrosity, which has an equal chance to either be a creature rating 8 beholder, a creature rating 10 mind flayer, or a creature rating 12 flaming kobold. Each summoned creature has no strange abilities, except for the kobold. The kobold gains an extra 1d6 fire damage, akin to flaming weaponry, with each attack, and has no penalties. Upon being summoned, there is a 1/5 chance of the summoned going berserk, gaining +2 to strength and constitution, and attacking nearby targets, including the summoner. The remaining chance simply summons the creature, which obeys the summoner as long as the summoner does not bid it to do something that would go against the creature’s nature.

Forgive the flesh to money spells for being repetitive, i wanted a unique series of spells with an interesting niche.

Noremak
2012-09-06, 10:55 PM
I love the chaos mage and have bunches of spells for them written down here somewhere...

Edit to add my thoughts:

Rain of Fruitcake - This is a funny spell, and I could see it being refluffed to be lots of types of food. What happens if a party tries to eat a fruitcake? After all even if they are not tasty, parties forget to bring food with them all the time.

Summon Beehive - Like it, not sure the thing with the cheese but hey, it is supposed to be random magic.

Ray of Silverware - At first I wasn't sure about this one, but thinking about it it is a good spell. It is random enough to fit in with the others and is actually a really good spell for a caster to have.

Fishcake - Exploding trout, not sure why, but again it is random magic.

Power word: “Sombrero” - This is a great spell, very funny. You might want to describe the condition the sombreros put the wearer in (pinned or stuck like a tanglefoot bag or what have you.) Could also be re-fluffed to be the magical top hat trick from yu-gi-oh, so thats a plus.

Flesh to Money - While I get where these spells are coming from I see a potential abuse of them from players, and item of flesh to money and a cave of goblins well, you get the idea. Not bad if you are making these for a villian or the like (or a mage on the path of the whore), but watch out for players abusing this set.

Cone of Squid - Ice Squid, I like em. Personally I'd have the squids entangle people then burst into ice damage over time, also making the groud icy slippery. This would raise the level of the spell, so maybe a lesser and greater version?

Summon Abomination - These seem strong, but I never summon stuff myself so I'm not sure.

OblivionBlade
2012-09-07, 11:12 AM
Every single spell i created was meant to be funny.

The rain of fruitcakes is meant to emphasize the hardness of stale holliday fruitcakes. You remember those bricks that get wrapped up in fancy paper and can't be dented by a chainsaw? Eating one of them will lead to a broken tooth, or worse. Plus, they desintigrate afterwards, meaning all the effort you take to consuming it goes to waste immediately after.

The beehive is a joke, many crazy characters in series i've seen all rave about cheese. Hence, i created a magical beehive that tastes of cheese.

fishcake is simply due to the sheer confusion that would result of someone summoning a trout in the middle of the enemy lines. Imagine everyone giving the trout a wry look, then continuing fighting. all of a sudden, the fish explodes...

The sombrero spell is both weaker, and stronger than a tanglefoot bag. It causes no arcane spell failure, has no debilitating effect, and does no harm. Targets trapped under the hat are able to buff themselves up, heal, even start playing solitaire. However, the hat lowers spell range to the max of the inside of the hat, is sound proof, and disallows targeting through the hat.

Flesh to money is a cruel, and evil spell given for villains. Anyone who is not evil, will be utterly disgusted by anyone who uses this spell, lawful, neutral, and good will turn on the caster, as soon as the spell is cast. It is cruel, and would likely cause a party to abandon the mage if he uses it frequently.

While the squids entangling is a good idea, I think them exploding into frost and ink more interesting, if you want, i can add a greater, and lesser version.
:edit
done anyway.

zegram 33
2012-09-07, 01:09 PM
what about a spell that has random effects?
so, roll a percentile dice and you gett ffects ranging from "summon more enemies" to "heal the target xd6" all the way up to "instant kill" at a roll of 100.
add in som truly wacky effects like th splls you've created, maybe transport everyone in 500ft to a random different plane fo X rounds before bringing thm all bck, an walla!

chaos magic

OblivionBlade
2012-09-07, 02:29 PM
what about a spell that has random effects?
so, roll a percentile dice and you gett ffects ranging from "summon more enemies" to "heal the target xd6" all the way up to "instant kill" at a roll of 100.
add in som truly wacky effects like th splls you've created, maybe transport everyone in 500ft to a random different plane fo X rounds before bringing thm all bck, an walla!

chaos magic

that could work, but it would require a massive wall of text. also, it would never have a real use, due to it isn't truly insane, it is just random.

Noremak
2012-09-07, 03:07 PM
Here are some spells I made for a CM I played in a short lived pbp.

Shimmering Armor
Shimmering Armor
Effect Element: Minor Transformation (DC 10)
Area Element: Single (DC +0)
Range Element: Self (DC +0)
Duration Element: By Minute (DC +10)
Save Element: Standard (+0)
Triger: Uncommon Trigger (DC -10)*
Final Casting DC: 10 + 10 + -5* = 15

Effect: The users skin shimmers as if covered in a fine layer of body glitter, in actuality the top layer of skin has been partially turned to diamond for the duration of the spell. This weave grants the caster a bonus to AC equal too +1/two CM Levels. This spell uses the uncommon trigger of the chaos mage being the target of an attack. The spell will activate if the mage is attacked in anyway, coffering its bonus to AC before the attack role is resolved.

Special*: This trigger would lover the casting DC of the primary element below half and is adjusted to comply with the spell trigger rules.

Frightful Display
Frightful Display
Effect Element: Minor Domination (DC 10)
Area Element: Burst (DC +5)
Duration Element: Instant (DC +0)
Save Element: Standard (+0)
Triger: No Trigger (DC -0)
Final Casting DC: 10 + 5 = 15

Effect: In a whirling display of mastery of both blade and chaos the user of this spell sends of an intimidating wave of energy that is meant to send would be attackers fleeing. All within the burst radius flee from the caster for 1d4 rounds. This spell is often used to break up crowds of mooks, or to cause civilians to flee from the caster while they move to their intended target.

Nothing But A Smile
Nothing But A Smile
Effect Element: Negligible Domination (DC 5)
Area Element: Single Target(DC +0)
Range Element: Close (DC +1)
Duration Element: Round (DC +5)
Save Element: -1 Penalty (+2)
Final Casting DC: 5 + 1 + 5 + 2 = 13

Effect: This is a quick little buff the caster can use to nudge a targets opinions in the right direction. The target of this spell receives a bonus or penalty to non-player character reaction checks, equal to +1 or -1 per two caster levels, to a maximum of +/-5.

Flash Dance
Flash Dance
Effect Element: Moderate Movement (DC 15)
Save Element: No Penalty (+0)
Final Casting DC: 15 + 5 = 20

Effect: This is a powerful spell that makes the caster a dervish in combat. It grants a target an extra attack when making a full attack action. When augmented in this fashion, the recipient’s base speed is increased by 1 feet per caster level.

Break A Leg
Break A Leg
Effect Element:
Raw Damage Effect (DC 10), Nonlethal (+2 DC), Minor Movement (DC 10*)
Area Element:
Burst (DC +5)
Range Element:
Close (DC +1)
Duration Element:
Instant (DC +0), By Round(DC +5*)
Save Element:
No Penalty (+0)
Triger:
No Trigger (DC -0)
Final Casting DC:
10 + 2 + 5* + 5 + 1 + 3* = 26

Effect: This is a powerful spell that helps to stop opponents from attacking. Those caught in its blast suffer subdual damage (1d8/CL) as the bones in their legs are cracked by the forces of chaos. Immediately there after they are slowed (5 feet +1 foot/CL) due too the impossibility of walking on their fractured bones. The fractures persist, but the unpleasant sensations that make it so hard to walk fade after CL rounds.

Leave 'Em At The Door
Leave 'Em At The Door
Effect Element:
Minor Movement (DC +10)
Area Element:
Burst (DC +5), Objects Only (DC +0), Chosen (DC +3)
Range Element:
Self (DC +0)
Duration Element:
Instant (DC +0)
Save Element:
None (DC +0)
Trigger:
None (DC +0), or Uncommon (DC -10)*
Final Casting DC:
10 + 5 + 3 = 18, or 13

Effect: After one too many barroom brawls a girl learns how to protect herself. This spell removes the threat of weapons from a fight. Up to 10xCL pounds of weaponry present in the burst area are teleported up to 20 + 5ft/CL directly away from the center of the burst (generally the caster). If in a particularly bad area this spell can be set up so that it triggers if weapons are drawn in aggression against the warded individual.

Special*: This trigger would lover the casting DC of the primary element below half and is adjusted to comply with the spell trigger rules.

Network
2012-09-07, 03:43 PM
There are at least three base classes labeled as ''Chaos Mage''. OblivionBlade spells are for the DandD Wiki homebrewed class, but Noremak spells are for the Mongoose class.

If new spells are useful to the latter as well, they will likely be used once and never again. The former spells could be added to the wiki, with using this thread for feedbacks. :smallwink:

Edit : This makes me wonder if I should make a thread for the Bloodcaster (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Bloodcaster_%283.5e_Class%29) spell list as well. Some people on GitP may come with really good ideas.

Rainbownaga
2012-09-07, 04:45 PM
Misread flesh to money as flesh-to-monkey. You've gotta have a flesh to monkey spell!

OblivionBlade
2012-09-07, 05:05 PM
Misread flesh to money as flesh-to-monkey. You've gotta have a flesh to monkey spell!

Flesh to monkey

Spell level: 5 arcane

Spell school: transmutation

Range: 20 feet ray

Components:Somatic, verbal, material

Material: 1 ripe banana

Description: Transforms one target into a chimpanzee (if they fail a dc 15 will save), lowering it's intelligence to 6 and increasing it's dexterity by 4. The target is treated as a passive animal, unable to take action, untill 3 rounds have passed. This spell only effects targets that are either not mammals, or have at least 7 intelligence. Mammals with less than 7 intelligence resist the spell entirely, simply shrugging it off as a failure.

Flesh to toaster

Spell level: 7 arcane

spell school: transmutation

Material: 1 toast

Desc: Target is subjected to a dc 18 will save, or else cease breathing, flop sideways, and become a toaster. The toaster is much like a normal toaster, except it does not need bread to function, oh, and because it is aware of it's surroundings. The toaster requires electricity, or electrical spells to continue functioning, and has a free will of its own. It retains 80% of the memories of the victim, and every day, is subjected to a dc 8 will save, to become it's old form.

just had to write those XD

urkthegurk
2012-09-08, 06:21 PM
Nothing But A Smile
Nothing But A Smile
Effect Element: Negligible Domination (DC 5)
Range Element: Close (DC +1)
Save Element: -1 Penalty (+2)
Final Casting DC: 5 + 1 + 5 + 2 = 13

Effect: This is a quick little buff the caster can use to nudge a targets opinions in the right direction. The target of this spell receives a bonus or penalty to non-player character reaction checks, equal to +1 or -1 per two caster levels, to a maximum of +/-5.

My version

Nothing But A Smile

Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V (see below), S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Effect: while naked, the target is hard to look at, and resistant to damage
Area Element: Single Target
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 min/lvl.
Saving Throw: Ref and Will (See below)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Effect: The caster strips off all the clothes themselves or their target (in a remarkably brief amount of time... were they wearing velco this whole time?) and runs around completely naked. While they are like this, enemies have a difficult time looking right at them. The target gets a +8 to hide checks, and if anyone actually spots them, the target receives Total Concealment unless the target makes a Will save. Even if they succeed, the target still has Concealment.

While in this state, the target has DR 15/lawful. Weapons wielded by policemen count as lawful for the purposes of overcoming this damage reduction. Also, any opponent may make a perform(comedy) check DC 10+targets HD to have their melee attacks count as Lawful for one turn. The caster may make the same check to count their melee attacks as chaotic.

The target gets the usual -2 to AC for being naked. Social rolls may also be affected as normal.

The spell ends when the caster puts on or is wearing clothes, except for hats.

This spell does not function as normal on armored opponents. A variation of this spell may be learned that allows the caster to steal items of clothes off someone wearing armor, or even someone wearing multiple layers (like stealing someone's pants out of their armor, or stealing their underwear out of their pants), but it can only work on clothes that have at least one layer of material over top of them. The caster does not have to learn this as normal, they can develop this spell themselves from greater understanding of this one, at the DM's discretion, with a DC 25 Skill Check.

OblivionBlade
2012-09-09, 05:35 PM
In response to ^.

will that result in this? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html :smallcool:

urkthegurk
2012-09-09, 06:42 PM
Its designed to ;)

OblivionBlade
2012-09-09, 07:22 PM
Its designed to ;)

honestly, besides ****ing maidens, there is no use for this spell.

urkthegurk
2012-09-09, 09:10 PM
It grants concealment. I think that's pretty useful. And it continues when attacking, unlike invisibility. Maybe it should be a lower level.

OblivionBlade
2012-09-10, 12:15 PM
It grants concealment. I think that's pretty useful. And it continues when attacking, unlike invisibility. Maybe it should be a lower level.

On the whole, i find it rather... off taste. strongly evil, plus, it seems... a bit campagn breaking. I'd prefer if that single spell was dropped.

:edit btw, what is PEACH?

urkthegurk
2012-09-10, 12:51 PM
I think stating the spell would most likely be used for '****ing maidens' is what's of poor taste. But hey, if you're that uncomfortable with nudity that's fine too. I'd just like to point out that nudity does not equal sex. And we're talking about a mage who is gogo bonkers here. You can see why they'd think running into combat naked would be a great thing to do.

You could also cast it on a fighter-type, to get the benefit of a thing like a woad warrior might have. Or you can just use it to strip someone's clothes off in the middle of a fancy party, embarrassing them in front of the other guests.

It might be too strong for level 3

EDIT: PEACH stands for 'Please Edit and Critique, Helpfully'

OblivionBlade
2012-09-11, 11:57 AM
I think stating the spell would most likely be used for '****ing maidens' is what's of poor taste. But hey, if you're that uncomfortable with nudity that's fine too. I'd just like to point out that nudity does not equal sex. And we're talking about a mage who is gogo bonkers here. You can see why they'd think running into combat naked would be a great thing to do.

You could also cast it on a fighter-type, to get the benefit of a thing like a woad warrior might have. Or you can just use it to strip someone's clothes off in the middle of a fancy party, embarrassing them in front of the other guests.

It might be too strong for level 3

EDIT: PEACH stands for 'Please Edit and Critique, Helpfully'

although i'd like to see other people's imput, what sort of person would invite a gogo- bonkers person to a fancy party?

urkthegurk
2012-09-11, 12:41 PM
The sort of person who values someone with a Flesh to Money spell?

Or the sort of mage that can cast Summon Wedding Cake 6 Tiers?

Or perhaps the chaos mage just casts this spell on themselves first, then sneaks into the party, and starts picking off the guests one-by-one...