PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a Lunar!

TimeWizard
2012-09-06, 05:37 PM
You guys know the drill by now! help me build a one , I don't know how they work appreciate any tips and what are good charms for an awesome martial artist. What are the best tactics, strategies , and useful (perhaps broken) abilities, tricks and builds? Tje character has 200xp and wants to shapeshift into an omen dog (is that possible?) The caste is something you pick right? What is the caste most like a Zenith? How do you make a wise leader/ warrior type? The character concept is like the tauren chiefton of Warcraft, a mighty but reluctant warrior who thinks about the situation before engaging. Thanks for the help!

Friv
2012-09-06, 06:05 PM
1) In combat, Relentless Lunar Fury is a necessity. Just, flat-out needed.
2) Taking a spirit shape with Strength >6 is basically the easiest way to break the system in existence, so don't do that.
3) Caste-wise, you pick your caste more on your methods than your goals. Warriors are generally Full Moons, socialites are Changing Moons, and thinkers are New Moons. A mighty but reluctant leader is probably going to be a Full Moon who also favors Charisma. (As a rough guide, Full Moon is sort of Dawn/Night, Changing Moon is Zenith/Eclipse, and New Moon is Twilight/Night.)
4) Tattoo armor is wildly powerful, so pick up a two-dot one of those unless it makes you feel bad about yourself to have ten extra soak with no drawbacks.

The_Snark
2012-09-06, 06:18 PM
4) Tattoo armor is wildly powerful, so pick up a two-dot one of those unless it makes you feel bad about yourself to have ten extra soak with no drawbacks.

Just wanted to add the caveat that tattoo armor can make stealth and disguise tricky; it's harder to hide than regular Lunar tattoos, because it stays visible in every form. Normally, a Lunar can shapeshift into a dog or a hummingbird whatever and be completely innocuous. But if you have a tattoo artifact, you'll be a dog/hummingbird with moonsilver tattoos.

It is good, don't get me wrong; but if you want to keep a low profile you'll have to take extra measures to conceal it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-06, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to add the caveat that tattoo armor can make stealth and disguise tricky; it's harder to hide than regular Lunar tattoos, because it stays visible in every form. Normally, a Lunar can shapeshift into a dog or a hummingbird whatever and be completely innocuous. But if you have a tattoo artifact, you'll be a dog/hummingbird with moonsilver tattoos.

It is good, don't get me wrong; but if you want to keep a low profile you'll have to take extra measures to conceal it.

Really? I thought the regular tattoos also stayed (albeit requiring a much higher Dodge MDV to spot), and that Hide of the Cunning Hunter was practically Charm tax.

Sanguine
2012-09-06, 07:53 PM
Really? I thought the regular tattoos also stayed (albeit requiring a much higher Dodge MDV to spot), and that Hide of the Cunning Hunter was practically Charm tax.

Regular tattoos remain visible in all of your True Forms, but not your Heart's Blood Forms. Tattoo Artifacts remain visible in all forms.

As for shifting into an Omen Dog, it is very easily doable. Either pick an Omen Dog as your Spirit Shape or put at least one point into the Heart's Blood Background.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-06, 08:06 PM
Regular tattoos remain visible in all of your True Forms, but not your Heart's Blood Forms. Tattoo Artifacts remain visible in all forms.

Right. I was thinking of Tell. -_-

Just get Hide of the Cunning Hunter, then.

The_Snark
2012-09-06, 08:39 PM

Right. I was thinking of Tell. -_-

Just get Hide of the Cunning Hunter, then.

Unfortunately, Hide of the Cunning Hunter doesn't help with tattoo artifacts. The background specifies that only Charms and Knacks explicitly capable of hiding artifacts will work.

Treasure as Trash Misdirection is the only way I can think of off the top of my head, though there's probably more out there.

TimeWizard
2012-09-06, 09:36 PM
The player does not want to hide the tattoos, ever, so it doesn't matter what covers them or doesn't.

what are knacks? What charms turn a normal lunar into a mega-were-army ruining Mr.Hyde?

Sanguine
2012-09-06, 09:44 PM
The player does not want to hide the tattoos, ever, so it doesn't matter what covers them or doesn't.

what are knacks? What charms turn a normal lunar into a mega-were-army ruining Mr.Hyde?

Knacks are Lunar only abilities that enhance or refine their innate shape-shifting. Their closest general system parallel would be Charms.

As for the second question. I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-06, 09:50 PM

You... don't know what Knacks are? And you're trying to help someone build a Lunar?

As for the second... if you're talking about big warform hybrid guy (which doesn't come with personality change), that's not Charms, that's Knacks.

Also, take Twin-Faced Hero if you want a good human disguise without killing someone and nerfing your physical stats.

The_Snark
2012-09-06, 10:19 PM

In that case, tattoo artifacts are pretty boss and you(r player) should go for them.

As for your second question... that's kind of a broad question, isn't it? It's not like there's only one Charm or set of Charms that'll make you into a killing machine, any more than there's one set of Charms that all Solar warriors take. Check out Strength, Dexterity, and Stamina Charms, there's plenty of fun stuff there. Wits and Perception have some good stuff too.

As a preliminary, here's a list of Charms and Knacks I recall being reasonably good, all aimed generally at making you into a rampaging beast-warrior:

Knacks
Towering Beast Form
Hybrid Body Rearrangement
Deadly Beastman Transformation
Terrifying Beastman Alteration
Devastating Ogre Enhancement
Strength
Claws of the Silver Moon
Impressions of Strength
Unstoppable Lunar Wound
Burrowing Devil Strike
Dexterity
Golden Tiger Stance
Wary Swallow Method
Wind-Dancing Method
Flowing Body Evasion
Stamina
Steadfast Yeddim Meditation
Unstoppable Juggernaut Incarnation
Relentless Lunar Fury
Bruise-Relief Method
Halting the Scarlet Flow
Armor-Forming Technique
Perception
Eyes of the Cat
God-Cutting Essence
Wits
Meerkat Alertness Practice
Furious Unhappy Recourse
Hungry Eagle Method
This is by no means a complete list, nor should you assume that they all work well together. It's just a starting point when looking through the book.
As always, don't get so caught up in cool-but-specialized Charms that you forget to take Excellencies. Lunar Excellencies are Attribute-based and therefore tend to be widely applicable; with 200 xp to spend, it's not a bad idea to buy an Excellency in every Attribute you have a decent rating in. Strength, Dexterity, and Stamina are all good in a fight. As a leader, you probably want at least one social Excellency, possibly more. Mental Excellencies can be useful too: Perception for perceiving things, Intelligence if you want to be good at scholarly rolls, Wits to assist with Join Battle and other miscellaneous rolls.

meschlum
2012-09-07, 11:18 AM
A wise leader tends not to be an 'army ruining Mr. Hyde', but that just means you need to use Fair Folk to justify your diversified personality.

Skull of the Behemoth

Once upon a time, a daring Lunar ventured deep into the Wyld and slew a beast larger than Creation itself. The stuff of Chaos caught this tale and rewarded the hero, giving her the Skull is the fallen creature. Serving as a convenient hatpiece, the Lunar discovered that the unspeakable might of its erstwhile owner was now hers to call and wield. Even when she discarded the bony item, it continued to manifest about her head, and grant her power, when her temper was sorely stressed.

4-dot Behemoth (12 comitted motes)
Assumption of the Person's Heart - the Skull manifests as a bestial skull, worn like a helmet by its choen bearer. Even if the helmet is discarded, it persists as a Wyld taint until needed, when it appears again.
Assumption of Beast Form - as its bearer grows more powerful, the Skull takes on more features of the creature it once was.
Knife Hand Dream - the Skull and its bearer can cut through mundane materials, or deflect blows, without difficulty.
Opalescent Gossamer Raiment - the Skull is unusually hard to damage, and the same applies to its bearer
Surpassing Excellence - the Skull is expert in the use of its natural weapons.
Armement of Flesh - and those weapons are ludicrously lethal to start with.
Glorious Hero Form (x2) - the Skull is naturally stronger, tougher, and more agile than it seems.
Hundred Hand Style - the Skull can strike at a phenomenal rate.

Mechanically, this grants the Lunar bearing it the following (all effects can be activated or dismissed at will, at no cost):

- Natural Soak bonus of (23 + Essence) for Lethal and Bashing.
- +1 die (from Charms) to Strength, Stamina, and Dexterity.
- (Essence) points of mutations, typically spent to get as much size as possible.
- A natural weapon that behaves like the specfied 3-dot artifact of your choice, dealing Lethal damage (even if the original artifact does Bashing) with an extra +2 Accuracy, +2 Defense, +2 Rate, and another (Essence) to spread between Accuracy, Defense, Damage, and Rate (maximum of +4 to any, stacking with the +2 base). At Essence 3+, add +5 Damage. At Essence 5+, it becomes Aggravated.

Now that the system and number abuse is out of the way, how about something interesting?

Banner of Wrathful Brews

A hulking green standard depicting a flagon full of potent brews, the Banner was created when a noble Raksha lost its temper and became angry and unpleasant. The reason for its perfectly justified wrath were the persistent attacks being made by the troops of the local ruler, for no better reason than the fact that the army was disturbed by the Raksha's impressive size, color, and tight pants.

The armies were scattered, of course, and thrown t the ends of the earth.
Even now, the Banner serves as a powerful tool for those of a more military bent. Its true workings were a closely kept secret, but are revealed here for the first time: the Banner itself, though potent, only works ni conjuction with another artifact of its original owner - the Purple Pants or Power!

When the two are used together, the angry brews banner with purple pants becomes a military nightmare and long term threat. An ever increasing and utterly loyal army gathers to serve the Banner, an army that is unusually large, strong, and capable of using Essence. When battles break out, the Banner's troops give in to their wrath and become far more destructive than before.

1-dot Oneiromancy (3 committed motes)
Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Banner is angry.
Adored by All the World - the owner of the Banner always has allies at hand, no matter how many have died before.
Gossamer Wing Flight - the wearer of the Purple Pants can jump incredible distances, as though flying.
Mad God Mien - no force can stop the wrath of the Banner.
Elemental Transformation - when truly consumed by rage, the Banner becomes an elemental being of destruction.
Endless Yawning Void - simply being near the angry Banner is painful.

1-dot Oneiromancy (3 committed motes)
Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Pants are purple.
Behemoth Forging Meditation - followers of the Banner grow larger, stronger, and tougher, and have their essence awakened.
Manacles of Virtue - admirers of the Purple Pants will be consumed by rage in battle, gaining an incredible number of dots in Valor.
Mad God Mien - the Pants cannot be destroyed.

Mechanically and silliness aside, this gives you unlimited Allies (for a slowly growing army). As your allies get close, they gain Awakened Essence, the Large mutation, and possibly a few delusions convincing them to trust you. So you want to wait as long as possible before going to war, as you have a constant inflow of skilled and loyal berzerkers.

On a personal level, you get wingless flight, inflict damage to those close to you, and pick up (Essence + 3) points of mutations (such as looking like an Omen Dog) as a transformation which costs nothing to use.

For martial arts excellence, I'd suggest looking up the Panoply of the Invincible Daughter, though it does go into the domain of "I punch you into a duck".

Cognative
2012-09-08, 12:04 PM
Hey there you beautiful people you!

I'm the player who is actually building this Lunar. Yes, we have very messed up combat rules compared to the book.

If you have any questions about this character that would help you help me, feel free to ask!

TimeWizard
2012-09-08, 03:31 PM
1) In combat, Relentless Lunar Fury is a necessity. Just, flat-out needed.
Now we got the ball rolling.

2) Taking a spirit shape with Strength >6 is basically the easiest way to break the system in existence, so don't do that.
I totally, totally won't suggest this to him. No way.

Check.

As for the second question. I'm not quite sure what you are asking.
The question: "Become an army ruining mega were-thing Mr Hyde" generally meant "What are the great shapeshifting knacks/charms for combat"