PDA

View Full Version : mind bender

Mrgone
2012-09-06, 06:34 PM
K making a born blind mindbender gonna start him out bard to cover the entry requirements. Probably gonna grab blind fighting and improved blind sense for my flaw feats. He'll be human. Not sure how to optimize him if he's martial ill use the practised spell caster feat to make up the difference in caster level for entry my goal for bender is mindsight 100 ft all books are fair game

Snowbluff
2012-09-06, 06:52 PM
Well... be a Bardsader/abuse Inspire Courage. Song of the Heart, Words of Creation, get that Vest for bards... You'll be able to fight, that's for sure.

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-06, 09:14 PM
Words of Creation and Mindbender are mutually exclusive.

As a general rule, the five lost caster levels aren't worth the goodies Mindbender gives, but it's actually a pretty cool class on a less casting heavy base. Take a look in my sig for Frater Omnia Vincam, a bard/marshal/mindbender/evangelist that has some cool tricks... It has various effects to get enemies to stop fighting, a ton of Will save debuffs to soften enemies for Eternal Charm and Thrall, and a Diplomacy check good enough to convert them to fanatic.

eggs
2012-09-06, 09:22 PM
Blindness is pretty crippling for a D&D character, but if you can get something to compensate, the Mind Bender dip would fit pretty snugly into an Jade Ebon Phoenix Mage build. I'd see if Devoted Spirit could be swapped out for Diamond mind though: Hearing the Air sounds like it would make a cool fit on this character.

Mrgone
2012-09-06, 09:23 PM
I think i got her figured out 2 bard 3 warblade 1 mindbender warblade to cap practiced spell caster feat to cover the entry for mindbender so i can effectively see and the feat that stack bard and warblade for bardic music maybe rock some inspire courage aspects

Mrgone
2012-09-06, 09:26 PM
That's a pretty slick idea also eggs

Toliudar
2012-09-06, 09:50 PM
If you're relying on mindsight, and planning to engage in melee, you'll need to be ready to deal with two obstacles:

Blindsense only gets you the square that you're opponent is in. You'll have a 50% miss chance with every attack. Also, you'll never get to take AoO's. Maybe smarter players than I will be able to find a way for you to mitigate this.
Mindless creatures (and, if the DM is feeling uncharitable, anything with Mind Blank or similar effects) will be completely undetectable. Golems will be the bane of your existence.

It's a fun character concept. It would be easier, of course, to build a blind character that never had to make an attack roll - a summoner, buffer-bard or dragonfire adept, for example - but you probably know that. Good luck!

Mrgone
2012-09-08, 03:54 PM
i think a path finder cross over may have saved the day. i looked and couldn't find any hard rules for overcoming blindness through time only that it says some drawbacks can be overcome over time lol. ither way i found the oracles curses from pathfinder and seen this one. with some fluff it could work realy well. and save me from having to take mind bender all together.

Clouded Vision: Your eyes are obscured, making it difficult for you to see. You cannot see anything beyond 30 feet, but you can see as if you had darkvision. At 5th level, this distance increases to 60 feet. At 10th level, you gain blindsense out to a range of 30 feet. At 15th level, you gain blindsight out to a range of 15 feet.

it looks pretty good all around for what i'm trying to do with this character. and i think dm approval shouldn't be that hard. here is the question? should this be a feat with the prereq of blindness, should it be a 1 feat flaw. or should it be stand alone. feed back is appreciated

Fates
2012-09-09, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't waste a feat on blind fight. The Blindfold of True Darkness (MIC) gives constant blindsight, is relatively cheap, and occupies a rarely-used slot.

Twilightwyrm
2012-09-09, 11:01 PM
Words of Creation and Mindbender are mutually exclusive.

As a general rule, the five lost caster levels aren't worth the goodies Mindbender gives, but it's actually a pretty cool class on a less casting heavy base. Take a look in my sig for Frater Omnia Vincam, a bard/marshal/mindbender/evangelist that has some cool tricks... It has various effects to get enemies to stop fighting, a ton of Will save debuffs to soften enemies for Eternal Charm and Thrall, and a Diplomacy check good enough to convert them to fanatic.

The class is actually better for the Warlock than a full caster, since the lost caster levels can be made up with practiced spell caster, and all you would lose if you didn't would be some eldritch blast damage and a few invocations. Still hurts, but more likely to be worth the trade than 9th levels spells.