PDA

View Full Version : Horizion Walker question

TypoNinja
2012-09-06, 07:49 PM
So I'm going horizon walker, and I absolutely love the Dimension door ability it grants, but I'm curious, are there any ways at all to speed it up from 1d4 rounds? I'd love to get it up to once a round/at will if at all possible.

Roguenewb
2012-09-06, 08:13 PM
Considering that using it takes a standard action, and after you use it, you can't take any more actions that turn, why would you want to use it more often? If you use it every round, you'll never get anything done, just 'port around doing nothing.

TypoNinja
2012-09-06, 08:38 PM
Considering that using it takes a standard action, and after you use it, you can't take any more actions that turn, why would you want to use it more often? If you use it every round, you'll never get anything done, just 'port around doing nothing.

I plan on using it to power the Dimensional Dervish feat chain. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-dervish

It's a 3.5 game, but the DM is ok with pathfinder stuff on a case by case basis, so a solution based entirely in 3.5 would be preferred.

So far my leading contender for a solution is trying to talk the DM into allowing a "recover spell like ability" feat based off the Recover Breath feat from the Draconomicon.

deuxhero
2012-09-06, 08:50 PM
Don't forget to do 1d6 non-lethal damage as a falling object (you can do more if you get boots of cat fall) when DD pouncing.

rot42
2012-09-07, 08:59 AM
The Recover Breath feat (Draconomicon 73) specifies that it only works for breath weapons, but it might provide a balance point for creating a homebrew feat.

If you have time for a detour into Incarnum and can accept the reduced range, the Blink Shirt soulmeld could work.

Daftendirekt
2012-09-07, 09:31 AM
Well, if you manage to get it at will, you should look at the Telflammar Shadowlord in Unapproachable East -- its 4th level gives you Shadow Pounce, which allows to you full attack after every teleportation effect.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 10:03 AM
Easiest Way to get at-will Dimension Door (though on a much shorter scale) is to be an Azurin or another Race with Bonus Essentia and take the Shape Souldmeld (Blink Shirt) feat. Standard action 10+10ft/essentia at will DDoor, combine it with Tellflamar Shadow Lord for funsies

Spuddles
2012-09-07, 12:04 PM
Shadow hand school from book of fightin magic has teleport as standard move and swift actions. It's not supernatural for some stupid reason, but tagged as a [teleport] effect.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-07, 01:23 PM
Shadow hand school from book of fightin magic has teleport as standard move and swift actions. It's not supernatural for some stupid reason, but tagged as a [teleport] effect.

I thought it was superspeed.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 01:26 PM
I thought it was superspeed.

I don't have the book at hand; but I am pretty sure it is described as actual teletransportation, so think more Sunshin than Shumpo

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-07, 01:43 PM
I don't have the book at hand; but I am pretty sure it is described as actual teletransportation, so think more Sunshin than Shumpo

Yeah, but it needs line of effect as well as line of sight, so it always felt more like superspeed to me.

Answerer
2012-09-07, 02:28 PM
I believe the Shadow Blink/Stride/Jaunt maneuvers are, in fact, intended to be super-speed/stealth. They also do not have any (Teleportation) subschool, since martial disciplines don't have subschools in the first place. Pretty sure that by strict RAW, none of the maneuvers will trigger Shadow Pounce.

Daftendirekt
2012-09-07, 03:31 PM
They also do not have any (Teleportation) subschool, since martial disciplines don't have subschools in the first place. Pretty sure that by strict RAW, none of the maneuvers will trigger Shadow Pounce.

Wrong. I quote the Tome of Battle:

Shadow Jaunt
Shadow Hand [Teleportation]
Level: Swordsage 2

As part of this maneuver, you disappear in a cloud of darkness and teleport up to 50 feet away. You must have line of sight and line of effect to your destination. If you attempt to use this maneuver to move into an occupied space, you do not move and the maneuver is expended but has no effect.

Answerer
2012-09-08, 12:36 AM
Huh, right you are. Well then, carry on.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-08, 09:24 AM
Desert Wind also has the Leaping Flame counter, which is labeled as [Teleportation] as well and lets you instantly move up to 100 ft to be adjacent to someone who just attacked you.

Of course, that one is labeled as Su.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-08, 01:01 PM
Yeah, it is teleportation, I just can't understand why it needs line of effect.