PDA

View Full Version : Beverly Hills Cop

Kyberwulf
2012-09-07, 02:15 AM
So get this, I heard that there is a TV series in the works. Does this get anyone else kinda jazzed?

Traab
2012-09-07, 06:28 AM
Not really, I mean, what I liked about the movies was Axel Foley spent the entire thing conning the hell out of everyone. It wouldnt really work long term as a series imo. And plus, we already have so damn many cop mystery type stories on the air that another one, even one with similar humor to the movies, would just be kinda swallowed up.

Fragenstein
2012-09-07, 06:31 AM
I'd rather see Pluto Nash get a show. I realize that's never going to happen as I seem to be the only person in the universe who really liked that movie, but still...

MLai
2012-09-07, 06:40 AM
The "streetwise black in naive white man's town" humor is pretty dated nowadays. Besides, it's kind of already played out by Will Smith when he was Fresh Prince.

It was edgy back when Eddie Murphy was Fresh Prince's age. For someone today to think that this is still a good idea for a TV show in 2013, shows a severe disconnect with the current-day African American vibe/culture. Maybe he hasn't yet noticed who the President is.

Parra
2012-09-07, 06:49 AM
Maybe he hasn't yet noticed who the President is.

Michael D. Higgins?

The Glyphstone
2012-09-07, 06:50 AM
Maybe he hasn't yet noticed who the President is.

Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Yora
2012-09-07, 06:50 AM
The "streetwise black in naive white man's town" humor is pretty dated nowadays. Besides, it's kind of already played out by Will Smith when he was Fresh Prince.

It was edgy back when Eddie Murphy was Fresh Prince's age. For someone today to think that this is still a good idea for a TV show in 2013, shows a severe disconnect with the current-day African American vibe/culture. Maybe he hasn't yet noticed who the President is.

Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock on Inside the Actors Studio are really interesting about that thing, talking a lot how they started in the 70s and 80s respectively.

Beverly Hills Cop worked in the 80s because it was also a social commentary about the situation of that time. And you can still enjoy it today by remembering that it is a movie from a time when things were different. Though I guess the contrast between Detroit and Beverly Hills is still the same... :smallamused:

Do I care about a new show? No.
I am not even angered or disappointed. Everything from the 80s gets remade because none of the big companies want to try something new and just keep doing again what worked before.

Fragenstein
2012-09-07, 07:05 AM
Arnold Schwarzenegger?

I was elected to lead...

http://content7.flixster.com/question/56/37/17/5637173_std.jpg

Not to read.

felliciaryan
2014-05-22, 01:37 AM
I love Eddie Murphy and his comedy he made me laugh when i was watching Beverly Hills Cop and while laughing i saw one thing more that is his stylish bomber jacket i love it and now i found it on FilmStarJackets for my husband :smallcool:

Avilan the Grey
2014-05-22, 02:49 AM
This.

Is.

A.

Horrible.

Idea.

...Also, why are they taking everything good about my childhood away? *Sad Panda Eyes*

MLai
2014-05-22, 05:43 AM
This.

Is.

A.

Horrible.

Idea.
It really really is.
And it's not just a horrible idea because Eddie Murphies don't grow on trees, so there's no way a TV show today would match the greatness of the original movie.
The above alone is horrible enough. But the true horror is that some suits are socially out of touch enough to think this is a good idea in 2014. Part of the reason the movie transcends its collection of jokes is that yes, it is social commentary about the 80's.
To just say "Let's transplant it to 2014! What do you mean, outdated social commentary? It's just an IP about black funny man that will make me money right?" is insulting almost on a racial level.

Avilan the Grey
2014-05-22, 05:56 AM
It really really is.
And it's not just a horrible idea because Eddie Murphies don't grow on trees, so there's no way a TV show today would match the greatness of the original movie.
The above alone is horrible enough. But the true horror is that some suits are socially out of touch enough to think this is a good idea in 2014. Part of the reason the movie transcends its collection of jokes is that yes, it is social commentary about the 80's.
To just say "Let's transplant it to 2014! What do you mean, outdated social commentary? It's just an IP about black funny man that will make me money right?" is insulting almost on a racial on every level.

Didn't really need fixing, but anyway.
And I definitely agree on all points.

Killer Angel
2014-05-22, 06:05 AM

I wonder who will be the actor that will accept a comparison, lost from the start...

Avilan the Grey
2014-05-22, 06:32 AM
I wonder who will be the actor that will accept a comparison, lost from the start...

Cris Rock, as usual?

Fragenstein
2014-05-22, 08:01 AM
Hold on. Did this thread just get resurrected by spam? My apologies if I'm wrong, but registered today to make one post promoting a website?

fellicia, you have my personal permission to stuff a banana up my tailpipe if I'm off-base.

Metahuman1
2014-05-22, 03:28 PM
It really really is.
To just say "Let's transplant it to 2014! What do you mean, outdated social commentary? It's just an IP about black funny man that will make me money right?" is insulting almost on a racial level.

Well, there's always the possibility that it's like the G.I. Joe, Transformer, TMNT movies and there just trying to cash in on 80's nostalgia and don't care about social commentary at all, they just care about cash in on 80's nostalgia.

Heck, if they set it in the 80's it might make it a whole 2 seasons before falling apart at the seems if they can find a really funny up and coming comedian and just let him cut loose.

Besides, everyone know's the president is Steven Rogers, in a landslide, even though he wasn't even on the ballot. XD!

MLai
2014-05-22, 09:02 PM
Hold on. Did this thread just get resurrected by spam? My apologies if I'm wrong, but registered today to make one post promoting a website?
LOL I didn't even notice. It has finally happened; I've been outsmarted by a spambot.
Skynet here we come.

comicshorse
2014-05-22, 09:20 PM
LOL I didn't even notice. It has finally happened; I've been outsmarted by a spambot.
Skynet here we come.

Does this mean it just passed the Turing test ? :smalleek:

Traab
2014-05-23, 10:33 AM
Does this mean it just passed the Turing test ? :smalleek:

If it is turing tests you are looking for, then look no further! At www.notalinkdagnabbit.com You will find the solution to all your turing test needs. Also free movies!

MLai
2014-05-23, 12:39 PM
If it is turing tests you are looking for, then look no further! At www.notalinkdagnabbit.com You will find the solution to all your turing test needs. Also free movies!
I clicked on that link.
Only after I did that, did I realize what I was doing.
*SHAME* :smallfrown:

Traab
2014-05-23, 01:05 PM
I clicked on that link.
Only after I did that, did I realize what I was doing.
*SHAME* :smallfrown:

Now I have to decide if I am honored to be so trusted people will willingly click on my random links, or scared. :smallamused:

pita
2014-05-29, 01:40 PM
Back on subject:
What the original had going for it was Eddie Murphy. When the screenwriters were in a jam and needed to get Axel Foley in a room with the villain, they just told Murphy to wing it and he did so brilliantly. He did it the entire movie. Beverly Hills Cop is the reason Eddie Murphy can make Norbit and still be considered one of the greatest comedic geniuses of our time.
Trying to recreate it, even with someone as gifted as Donald Glover, is a terrible mistake.
Of course, you could also say that about Hannibal and Anthony Hopkins, but Mads Mikkelson proved me wrong...

tomandtish
2014-05-29, 03:51 PM
More importantly, this series is going nowhere. CBS passed on it back in May, 2013 (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-rejects-beverly-hills-cop-520895), and there's no indication that anyone else is interested in it.

Metahuman1
2014-05-29, 04:13 PM
That's probably a good thing.

Fragenstein
2014-05-30, 08:31 AM
That's probably a good thing.

There was likely some good material left in the concept as long as they drop the 'Beverly Hills' part. I could easily some stories coming out of Detroit, where a wise-cracking, con-man-undercover-cop operated. Sort of a solo Leverage act.

It would change the theme of the entire franchise, sure. But I think they'd gotten everything they could out of the streetsmart Murphy outwitting the dumb Hollywood scene.