PDA

View Full Version : Level one toys?

silverwolfer
2012-09-07, 04:32 AM
So am a level one crusader, with about 60 gold left to spend, after armor and weapons and the like.

I was wondering what sort of mundane items, you usualy wander about with, (besides food and sleeping bag).

Myself, am looking at maybe marbles and a vial of acid, ontop of some healing potions.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-07, 04:34 AM
Complete MacGyver (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0).

falloutimperial
2012-09-07, 05:55 AM
Tricorns are only fifteen gold. Bicornes are fifty. Do what must be done. Either is the best choice of anything, ever.

Socratov
2012-09-07, 06:14 AM
well, let's see:

rope
hook
Have you boughtenough rope allready?
bottle (for all those fairies :smallamused: )
more cowbell rope!
caltrops
did I mention rope?
anything that can solve some situation you can find yourself in that's cheap
are you sure you have enough rope?
when in doubt, buy more rope

and don't forget to invest a few ranks in use rope :smallcool:

prufock
2012-09-07, 06:45 AM
Level 1? Two guard dogs and a mule.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-07, 06:50 AM
Darkberry and Fog rock from Magic of Faerun. Each costs only 5gp and has negligible weight.

Broken or crushed darkberry it creates circle with 5ft diameter of darkness that lasts 2 rounds.
When you drop fog rock into fresh water it produces 10ft cube of mist (which disappears normally). Salt water has no effect on fog rock but it must be kept damp with brine or will become regular stone (I wonder if it's consumable :smallannoyed:).

Gnorman
2012-09-07, 07:16 AM
Tricorns are only fifteen gold. Bicornes are fifty. Do what must be done. Either is the best choice of anything, ever.

You're going to have to explain this tricorn-related obsession. I'm not seeing the advantage.

Socratov
2012-09-07, 08:26 AM
well, 2 tricorns provide material for 3 bicorns (?), so 30gp can be made into 150 gp (??), if done enough you can hava awesome stuffs at lvl 1 (???)

Gnorman
2012-09-07, 08:32 AM
I can already do that without spending all that time on needlework. It's called "ladders."

Socratov
2012-09-07, 08:35 AM
I can already do that without spending all that time on needlework. It's called "ladders."

but what if your character likes needlework and hates woodwork? :smallbiggrin:

Gnorman
2012-09-07, 08:37 AM
It's not even woodwork. It's just smashy time.

qwertyu63
2012-09-07, 08:43 AM
To answer the OP, take a look at Dungeonscape page 30. There are some fun items there.

watchwood
2012-09-07, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty fond of Bear Traps, personally. Especially for the first couple of levels.

chaotician375
2012-09-07, 05:22 PM
Crowbar.

I kid you not I could have saved like an hour of real time trying to force my way through a door a couple weeks ago and i would have had it in one go if I had only had a Crowbar.

And I agree with Socratov, you never have enough rope and you feel realy dumb when you forget it at the dungeon entrance and realy need it half way through.

White_Drake
2012-09-07, 08:55 PM
You really want silk rope if you've got the money, hemp weighs too much.

falloutimperial
2012-09-08, 10:18 PM
You're going to have to explain this tricorn-related obsession. I'm not seeing the advantage.

See my sig'd topic for hats in general. Tricorns are superior to other hats in terms of style and utility, and they really leave a mark on a character. It's like the eye patch of hats. Imagine a character you're playing. Now imagine him or her with a tricorn. Completely different.

That reminds me. Eyepatchs are also a good investment.

TuggyNE
2012-09-08, 11:38 PM
See my sig'd topic for hats in general. Tricorns are superior to other hats in terms of style and utility, and they really leave a mark on a character. It's like the eye patch of hats. Imagine a character you're playing. Now imagine him or her with a tricorn. Completely different.

I'd repeat Gnorman's question.:smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2012-09-09, 01:17 AM
If you can free up another 40 gold, you can afford a bottle of Shapesand.

silverwolfer
2012-09-09, 01:34 AM
If you can free up another 40 gold, you can afford a bottle of Shapesand.

it is a cool toy, but how exactly useful is it?

Vizzerdrix
2012-09-09, 01:36 AM
Every mundane weapon, armor or equipment. Whenever you want it.

*Note: Some items may require more than one bottle. Like a fortress.

Gnorman
2012-09-09, 05:20 AM
Shapesand is the second coolest toy ever (the first being marvelous pigment).

robertbevan
2012-09-09, 06:08 AM
flasks of oil? torches? we usually resort to burning something down at least once a session.

JellyPooga
2012-09-09, 06:14 AM
To all those advocating Rope, I'm going to throw in a counter argument with Canvas. 1sq.yrd costs 1sp and weighs 1lb. Buy it in separate sheets of this size. Roll it along the diagonal and you have an effective length of (probably) about 5' (after rolling and a twist). Lose another foot or so tying the ends (giving you 4' for 1sp and 1lb.) and you can end up with something very usable as rope (or, of course, just buy it in 4.5'x2' increments; 45'x2' costs the same as 50' of hemp rope). It won't hold as much weight as a proper hemp rope, but how often do you need your rope to hold that much weight? 50' of canvas "rope" will set you back about 12sp and weigh 12lb. comparable weight and cost to hemp with the added bonus of being a sheet of canvas, so can also be used as a bivvy, blanket, tent, rug, cloak, turban, bandages, hammock, net, begger disguise amongst other uses.

Salanmander
2012-09-09, 10:43 AM
To all those advocating Rope, I'm going to throw in a counter argument with Canvas. 1sq.yrd costs 1sp and weighs 1lb. Buy it in separate sheets of this size. Roll it along the diagonal and you have an effective length of (probably) about 5' (after rolling and a twist). Lose another foot or so tying the ends (giving you 4' for 1sp and 1lb.) and you can end up with something very usable as rope (or, of course, just buy it in 4.5'x2' increments; 45'x2' costs the same as 50' of hemp rope). It won't hold as much weight as a proper hemp rope, but how often do you need your rope to hold that much weight? 50' of canvas "rope" will set you back about 12sp and weigh 12lb. comparable weight and cost to hemp with the added bonus of being a sheet of canvas, so can also be used as a bivvy, blanket, tent, rug, cloak, turban, bandages, hammock, net, begger disguise amongst other uses.

I'm sorry, but if you're buying your canvas in sq. yard sections, you're not going to be making an effective tent out of it.

JellyPooga
2012-09-09, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry, but if you're buying your canvas in sq. yard sections, you're not going to be making an effective tent out of it.

With the right rigging, you could fashion a kind of 'panelled tent' sort of affair. I will admit that it's unlikely though! :smallbiggrin: