PDA

View Full Version : Isles of the Small Folk OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

hoverfrog
2012-09-07, 08:20 AM
Original thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254734).
IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13862613)

Time to start! I'll set up the IC thread once we sort things out here. Some rules I propose for the IC thread:

1) All dice rolls are spoilered.
2) Spoken text is in quotes, thoughts are in italics.
4) Everyone gets a colour for speech and thoughts. NPCs will use colours not already selected by players. If two or more NPCs are speaking I'll switch colours between them.
5) All rolls, including mine, are public. That is apart from secret rolls list a listen check to see if you are aware of something. I don't want to give something away by getting you to roll. No fudging of dice.
6) Minimum post once every other day. You won't get kicked from the campaign, 'cause hey, stuff happens, but you will get NPC'd if people are waiting for you to act.
6) Maximum post, none. I personally don't want to post all the time for two reasons. I work for a living so generally post early morning and evening (I'm GMT), and furthermore, I want to give everyone their chance to participate, so if someone doesn't have internet access for one day, they don't come back and find themselves in the start of a battle with everyone waiting on their initiative when the last they knew they were talking to the innkeeper.
7) Experience I'll try to calculate in the official D&D way. Leveling up should occur betweeen fights and with a minimum of one full day of uninterrupted rest and reflection\practice\what have you.
8) Metagaming in here is fine. Discuss strategies and whatnot. I assume you all would talk about strategy out of combat (like, as characters).
9) Regarding combat, I've found that play can really stall if we stick strickly to the initiative order so I'm going to use the following method for combat.
Roll initiative at the beginning of the combat and declare your actions, roll dice, etc. If you have more than one attack roll it at this time. Roll for criticals at the same time and roll for damage at the same time. Put rolls in a spoiler.
i.e.Attack with a sling [roll0]
Confirm Crit 20 x2[roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Quickdraw to reload and Rapid Shot to shoot again with the sling [roll3]
Confirm Crit 20 x2[roll4]
Damage [roll5]Or Rage +4 STR, +4 CON, -2AC and charge at the ugly human with the cutlass (-2AC) (AC now 12 for this round)

Attack with a heavy flail [roll6] includes +2 for charging and +2 for rage
Confirm Crit 19-20/×2[roll7]
Damage [roll8]
Cleave someone nearby if I take him down [roll9] (no longer charging so it drops to +7)
Confirm Crit 19-20/×2[roll10]
Damage [roll11]

Don't forget that previewing a post or adding rolls after a post stops the roll engine from working (as in the examples above).

After everyone has declared their actions I will post NPC actions and summarise the outcomes in initiative order. The benefits of doing it this way is that everyone can act without having to wait for someone who has a test the next day or something. The drawback is that your action is often dependent on the outcome of other people's action. If this is the case then post alternative actions in a spoiler. i.e.

Jacques the druid casts Summon Nature’s Ally V to conjure a large Fire Elemental to fight the evil cleric.
If the warriors from the Horn of Valhalla that are charging in are stopped by a barrier like Protection from Good then I cast Stoneskin on Valcrag the Ranger instead.If your action is completely spoiled by something in play that you would have been aware of then say something and I'll ask you to redeclare your action.

So that you don't feel that the NPCs are always getting to act last I'll give some indication of their actions for the next round in the end of round summary. i.e the three warriors that survive the fireball pick themselves up and start to move apart, cranking their crossbows as they do so.

I'll update a map at the end of every round and post it in the IC thread in a spoiler. Don't expect a work of art and you won't be disappointed. Let me know in this thread if I've read your action wrongly.

Next round you all declare your actions in the same way.
10) Could you start off your post with your character name in the colour that you have chosen, at least until we get used to one another's names.

Anything else, let me know.

A repeat of information from the initial thread:

d20srd (d20srd.org/index.htm) is a great resource and includes all the basic rules that you need including prestige classes.

Isle of the Small Folk P.E.A.C.H (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13834398#post13834398) that provided the initial idea.

Notes

System: D&D 3.5e
Player Count: 5
Style of Play: Roleplay mainly with some action thrown in
Allowed Content:



PHB
DMG
d20srd


Character Creation:



Backstory: Everything is peaceful and calm on the star isles. People make their way in life as fisherfolk, crabbers, farmers, herdsfolk, even traders. They are good and honest people for the most part and live well together. Sometimes a beast comes out of the deep or from one of the dark and unexplored forests on the larger islands and the local people have to fight it off but these are rare events that have the isles gossiping for years.

Beyond the isles there is nothing but open sea. There is a story, often told to frighten the children around their camp fires, of a brave man who sailed into away from the isles for a year and a day. He returned with wondrous treasures that can still be seen on the homes of the very wealthy and stories of fearsome giants and wicked beasts. The isles are safe and nobody bothers the people who live there.

At least until now...

Experience: Start at 1st level
Wealth: WBL so starting money rolled in this thread.
Ability Scores: As in PHB - 4d6b3, reroll if modifiers total 0 or lower, or if highest score is 13 or lower. No point buy.
Hitpoints/Health: As in PHB - full at first level, roll from then on.
Alignment: Any non-evil unless you have a really good reason to be evil and will still work towards cooperating as a party.


Other Notes:

The Big 16

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Homebrew game based on islands of halflings living in harmony and having their world turned upside down by human slavers. The humans have their own language and superior weapons, armour and magic. They are bigger, stronger, faster and more powerful and they have a callous disregard for the way of life of the people of the isles.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 5. I'm happy to have a reserve or extend to 6 if there is sufficient interest.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Here on the OOTS forum. Please start with a character sheet on http://www.myth-weavers.com or similar.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 1st level, maximum starting hit points. Technology is limited to that which would be found on islands in the middle ages but the halfing people are not warlike so metal armours and weapons of war are a curiosity at least initially.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Roll for wealth by class

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Standard d20srd classes only, no homebrew classes, no other books.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? My preference is that you would start as halflings. If you have a good reason to be another race then let me know but they should be limited to PH races only. I am happy to change this if characters are killed and you want to introduce a replacement later.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? As in PHB - 4d6b3, reroll if modifiers total 0 or lower, or if highest score is 13 or lower. No point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Please try to be non-evil unless there is a good reason for playing an evil character.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Standard PHB rules on multiclassing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Please use the forum dice roller i.e. [ roll ] 1d20 + mod [ /roll ] but without the spaces. All rolls will be public unless there is a reason for them being secret

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Nope, nothing really.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? A minimum of a paragraph. Please try to blend one another's back stories together so that you know at least one other character. Characters should be halflings who inhabit a series of islands (large and small) who are beset by human slavers. Other races could be available if there is a very good back story and justification for it.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A bit of everything. I tend to be verbose on roleplaying by preference. If you're chomping at the bit for a fight then PM me and I'll move the action on.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? PHB, DMG and d20srd. Try to avoid psionics please.

Background

Everything is peaceful and calm on the star isles. People make their way in life as fisherfolk, crabbers, farmers, herdsfolk, even traders. They are good and honest people for the most part and live well together. Sometimes a beast comes out of the deep or from one of the dark and unexplored forests on the larger islands and the local people have to fight it off but these are rare events that have the isles gossiping for years.

Beyond the isles there is nothing but open sea. There is a story, often told to frighten the children around their camp fires, of a brave man who sailed into away from the isles for a year and a day. He returned with wondrous treasures that can still be seen on the homes of the very wealthy and stories of fearsome giants and wicked beasts. The isles are safe and nobody bothers the people who live there.

At least until now...

One day in the northern isle of Star Point giants landed. They were shaped like the simple fisherfolk around them but were twice the size and had steel skin and coarse hair on their faces. They carried away the people who they found and burned their boats. They left on huge floating islands with weapons on all sides that spat fire and death at the free folk when they tried to rescue their friends and family.

Who are these monsters and what do they want? How can the small folk fight them when they have powerful magic at their disposal? What happens if they return?

Social structure:

The isles are made up of halflings that is largely peaceful. They are being invaded by human slavers with superior technology and magic. Hardly any halfling advances as an adventuring class in the isles and even those who do rarely get past fifth level. Access to healing is in the form of potions and scrolls from the priests and druids who support the various independent islands. More powerful magic and magic items are almost unheard of, though a few weapons, armours and such exist from long ago where a few adventurers left the isles and returned with their treasure. These have been handed down through the generations or acquired by collectors.

There is no centralised ruler for the isles. Each isle has a between one and dozen leaders with various titles from mayor to king. They rarely wage war on one another so they've had no need to band together for protection or to build large walled cities. Life is good and peaceful which is why they are so poorly prepared for an attack.

Language

The natives islanders only speak their own tongue. I can't see a reason why they would need to speak any other. Priests have two sacred languages for the two factions. Druidic (for Druids) and Celestial (for Clerics). There is a langauge of ancient magic, Draconic. Rarely the small folk trade with intelligent sea creatures so Aquan is available. There is an ancient language of the forest folk as well so Sylvan is also available though the few who speak it generally do so only among themselves. If anyone has additional slots for languages I'm happy to keep them open so that they can learn the Common tongue or one of the other languages of the of the slavers later.

Gods and Goddesses

There is a simple pantheon revering nature, the sea, home life, fertility, etc. The priesthood is made up of men and women who interpret the signs, keep a record of births, deaths and marriages, arrange foster care where required, collect and distribute alms for those in need, arrange and hold holy days and festivals and perform largely social functions within society.

There are some minor miracles that the priesthood is able to perform, some healing for injuries and help in labour, the creation of water and food for those who come as supplicants, etc. The sort of thing an adept, cleric or druid of 1st to 3rd level could perform. They also patrol and defend the isles from sea monsters and the occasional wild animal attack. They also protect the isle of the dead from the curious.

The two factions of the priesthood are druids and clerics or the Orders of the Sea and the Mist. Druids, the Order of the Sea is the largest, spend time travelling the isles and ministering to the needy, tending crops and helping wiht births, both halfling and animal. The clerics (the Order of the Mist is the largest) typically confine themselves to the Isle of the Dead or travel to tend the sick and administer funeral rites.

Geography of note

There are a few key features:

The Isle of the Dead is a sacred site where the dead are interred along with the possession that they'll need in the afterlife. Some food, a spear or fishing rod, clothes, perhaps a favourite pipe or mug. The priesthood patrol the isle to protect the dead from thieves but also to protect would be thieves from the dead who sometimes become restless and wander the mists in search of the living.

Old Alk is the largest and most central of the islands dominated by an active volcano known as the Angry Mother. The volcano itself sometimes puts out a gout of smoke when the Mother is angry or a spills a stream of lava when making a new isle. She has not been violent (or angry) is centuries. Old Alk is a fertile island and the centre of crop production and civilisation for the small folk. Major festivals are held at the capital, Alkton, a town of some 5000 permanent residents.

The Concept

The game should be one of defending against the incursions of a powerful force, rescuing those stolen, retrieving lost items of power, either from their owners through negotiation or by finding their way to the Isle of the Dead to recover something from the undead there. There should also be monster attacks and quests. The humans come every 4-5 months for more slaves. There is an opportunity for players who want to play other races to be escapees or turn cloaks from the slavers or even just honest traders caught up on the wrong side of the slave trade and looking for a way out.

Classes

Barbarian - Some halflings prowl the jungle isles or embrace the raw power of the sea. They are rare and often distrusted.
Bard - Bards are always popular among the islands. They carry news from place to place, act as repositories of obscure knowledge and provide entertainment that makes them welcome anywhere.
Cleric - The Order of the Mist is the largest clerical denomination. They worship the pantheon of gods the same as the druids but also care for the ancestors of the islanders who reside on the Isle of the Dead. There are other factions too and players are free to build these as they see fit.
Druid - The Order of the Sea is the largest Druidic sect. They worship the same pantheon of gods as the clerics but alse revere nature as a force in itself.
Fighter - There is a tradition of slingers and rock skippers among the halflings as well as guards, hunters, defenders of the faith and other cobat focussed roles that fit fighter well.
Monk - Monks do not really fit the flavour of this game but if someone really wanted to play a monk then it is always possible to fit in a strange hermit on a distant isle who could have trained them or even a small monostary.
Paladin - Affiliated with the Order of the Mist, paladins are nevertheless a rarity. Few things threaten the isles and the need for a holy warrior is slight.
Ranger - Relatively common and usually part of the Order of the Sea, rangers act as guides between and through islands and protect the forests and lands and those who live there from the few threats that nature sends their way. Favoured enemy will typically be undead, animal, vermin or plant. Given the nature of the campaign I'm happy for any rangers to hold back their first favoured enemy until after the first few encounters.
Rogue - The small folk like nothing more than demonstrating their skill at silently sneaking up on someone, clambering up a steep slope or tree or just playing hide and seek.
Sorcerers & Wizards - Both are rare. Wizards spend long years studying a few moldering scrolls, typically alongside the Order of the Mist or independently if they are wealthy. Sorcerers occur more spontenously and powers often emerge from birth or puberty. Recently the number of sorcerers born has increased though noone knows why beyond the fact that this power tends to run in families.

Equipment & Magic

The Isles are relatively primitive. They don't make much use of metal armours which are impractical and downright dangerous for a seafaring race.

Similarly magic and magic items are rare in the isles beyond a few tricks and things to make life a little easier. The slavers are equipped with powerful offensive magics and area of effect spells like colour spray and sleep that are useful for capturing slaves.

Economics

Both the slavers and halflings use the standard gold, silver, copper for money though they mint the coins differently. The slavers have proper coins with the head of their king on one side as there only means of payment. Not that they pay for anything on the isles. The halflings use something called hacksilver for day to day transactions. Hacksilver is simply banded silver or bracelets of silver that are broken or cut for weight. Expensive goods are paid for in gold or platinum strips or in worked gold that has a higher value.

I did consider splitting the group into two groups of four or running one group of six and two reserves. Then I thought, what the heck let's risk a large group and see how it goes.

Map of the region, Star Isles:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/IslesMap-1.jpg
Key of map:
The large island in the south east is Old Alk with the red blob for the Angry Mother. It is about 20 miles across north to south and 30 east to west. It's about 4 or 5 miles to the nearest large island. Alkton is on the north western half of the island on a fertile plain surrounded by farmland.

Just over the horizon to the west and north is the Isle of the Dead (with the perpetual mist) which is the second largest island in the isles. The mists can be seen on a clear day from most of the surrounding islands.

The large islands to the north are known as the six sisters collectively. East to west they are: Small Sands, Big Sands, Pale (for the unusual lack of colouration of much of the wildlife in contrast to Plume), Plume (named after the vague bird shape of the island and the preponderance of avian life), Eastlyn, and Westlyn.

West of Small Sands is the remote island of Shark's Luck. Most of the other islands have small isles off the coast that natives use to rest and island hop in their small boats. Shark's Luck has nothing for 10 miles except fish and what preys on them.

North are the Twain islands which mark the northern most populated islands of any significant size. These are North Star and Brother Star but most people just call them the Twains.

Just south of the Isle of the Dead there's an island (Dead South), and south of that are two very small islands (Tiny West, Tiny East) collectively known as the Tiny Islands. On either side of those two small islands there's a pair of somewhat larger islands (Small West, Small East ).

I haven't yet named the other islands to the south or included all the islands so if you want to select one and provide some details please feel free to do so and I'll incorporate them. There are other islands, some are smalls, only a few miles across and some I just haven't added because I haven't thought what to do with them yet. The reports of slavers come from the furthest islands to the north, the Twains, over a hundred miles away from Alkton. Those who have travelled that far have island hopped along the six sisters, gone around the Isle of the Dead and made their way to Old Alk. A journey of several weeks.

hoverfrog
2012-09-08, 02:59 AM
{table]Image|Player|Character|Class|Colour
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/c244dfd9-f076-47f6-a64b-b6d337294bde_zps013b9071.jpg|Newcomer|Ever Barrowfoot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442163)|Halfling Ranger|Green
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/effe1f3f-504b-4056-8a08-010918e0abab_zps94dc41f5.jpg|Vesth|Athedru Namecarver (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442120)|Halfling Sorcerer|Dark Orchid
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/b54f9986-1583-4b33-9671-31e7989ba8a8_zps9ce0176d.jpg|Dancing_Shadows|Devka Thorn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442259)|Halfling Barbarian|Dark Orange
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/e21f4c4c-cb34-42ad-82dd-b43dd868b07e_zps798b4dd9.jpg|Avi235&258|Graorin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442581)|Human Druid|Red
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/bef49a8c-a517-4aad-95fa-7b3556e9d23b_zpseb8f2c84.jpg|OzzyKP|Kevst (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442301)|Halfling Rogue|Blue
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/89341e47-0a5c-4dc0-9eee-fe06b686a039_zps0011ae9d.jpg|Delia2531|Young Ben (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=443311)|Halfling Rogue|Indigo
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/171c08f0-1e7c-4500-ae84-cd820842ba4a_zps60250f27.jpg|Mr. D|Artho (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=533476)|Halfling Fighter|Dark Slate Blue
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Unknown_zpscc72dc21.png|Leolo|Nygdath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442240)|Halfling Bard|DarkRed
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Unknown_zpscc72dc21.png|Shotaro|Bula Mistwalker (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442940)|Halfling Cleric|Red[/table]

Vesth
2012-09-08, 04:05 AM
I'll go with Darkorchid :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-09-08, 07:06 AM
Ranger talk in green, please.

Delia2531
2012-09-08, 10:15 AM
Young Ben

Easy to imagine that Kevst and Ben were orphans together; I'm happy to change Ben's background to a corrupt group in an orphanage.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-08, 11:31 AM
[Dark orange It doesn't look similar to anyone elses so i don't have to worry

OzzyKP
2012-09-08, 01:02 PM
What is the point of having different colors for each of us? It isn't like I'm going to be posting dialogue for Newcomer or vice versa, so there is no need to differentiate between them. Why don't we all just pick one color to use for all dialogue (or just bold it). It seems like it'd just get confusing (and cluttered) if we've got 8 different colors, plus different colors for each NPC.



I took Graorin's background and assumed that it was Athedru that you were talking about so had you together on Brother Star Isle in the Twains. A group of halflings responding to the slavers captured the human and sent him and his friend south for questioning. Some island leaders feared reprisals and sent them further south, some questioned him and then sent him south for others to do the same. After nearly a month you've found yourself in Old Alk. The curious crowds and shouted questions are familiar to you now.

Did you read my background? I connected my history to Athedru so he should probably start out on Old Alk as well. Considering the large volcano on the island it makes a lot of sense that there would be plenty of caves around. A huge part of the background I wrote involves our meeting.

Delia2531
2012-09-08, 01:29 PM
What is the point of having different colors for each of us? It isn't like I'm going to be posting dialogue for Newcomer or vice versa, so there is no need to differentiate between them. Why don't we all just pick one color to use for all dialogue (or just bold it). It seems like it'd just get confusing (and cluttered) if we've got 8 different colors, plus different colors for each NPC.

Having used it before it makes it easier when reading a bunch of updates as you soon get used to reading each colour as a voice.

OzzyKP
2012-09-08, 01:55 PM
I mean, I understand the point of making dialogue be a different color, so it stands out from the other text, but I really don't get the point of having 8-12 different colors. It just seems like it'd be cluttered. If we all just picked red or something it'd be clear and simple.


But for now I guess I'll play along. Kevst will be Blue.

Avi235&258
2012-09-08, 03:23 PM
I guess I'll go with Cyan.

A note about my OOC availability: I will in general be able to post once a day on a reliable basis at this hour (11:15 pm) every day. In addition, I can post during my morning/afternoon on most days when I need to stop trying to code and do something else for a few minutes. However, being Jewish, I will not be available from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday under any circumstances.

I am seven hours ahead of EST and two ahead of GMT, for comparison.

hoverfrog
2012-09-08, 03:58 PM
Did you read my background? I connected my history to Athedru so he should probably start out on Old Alk as well. Considering the large volcano on the island it makes a lot of sense that there would be plenty of caves around. A huge part of the background I wrote involves our meeting.I did but didn't see that you'd indicated a specific island so just picked one that would tie in to the story. Not that it matters particularly.

Delia2531, you don't need to be an orphan too but if you want to change things a bit that's fine with me. To be honest from your backgrounds I see Kevst as a petty crook scraping a living in a world that treats him with contempt and Young Ben as a different class of thief, a confidence trickster and huckster. They move in different worlds but both have a part to contribute. If that's the case it'll pan out during play as your characters develop and if not then you'll go in your own direction.

Avi235&258, thanks for letting us know your availability.

Delia2531
2012-09-08, 04:32 PM
...

Delia2531, you don't need to be an orphan too but if you want to change things a bit that's fine with me. To be honest from your backgrounds I see Kevst as a petty crook scraping a living in a world that treats him with contempt and Young Ben as a different class of thief, a confidence trickster and huckster. They move in different worlds but both have a part to contribute. If that's the case it'll pan out during play as your characters develop and if not then you'll go in your own direction.
...

the idea in my head is a confidence trickster/forger who started from Artful Dodger-type street urchin. Orphan/runaway was always on the cards, "Young" is an affectation that he picked up in the street gang.

Delia2531
2012-09-09, 08:59 AM
Why outcome are we aiming for here? Are we trying to form a group in the courtroom?

OzzyKP
2012-09-09, 11:21 AM
I suspect hover is waiting to hear from Shotaro before he moves the action forward.

Delia2531
2012-09-09, 11:37 AM
I'm not looking to hurry us up, just making sure we know where we want to get to.

Good start so far.

hoverfrog
2012-09-09, 04:54 PM
Why outcome are we aiming for here? Are we trying to form a group in the courtroom?I hope so but we'll see how it goes.

Newcomer
2012-09-09, 07:03 PM
I'm still checking in, I just think Ever is just going to stand there and watch things unfold for the moment.

OzzyKP
2012-09-09, 07:05 PM
I'm still checking in, I just think Ever is just going to stand there and watch things unfold for the moment.

Yea, same here.

Also, I'll be on the road most of tomorrow, but I'll check in before I leave.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 02:18 AM
I've rolled several sense motive checks as there are several groups/areas in the room with things going on.

I didn't specify an order, I'm happy to let Hoverfrog decide which roll relates to which individual/group.

P.S. awesome diplomacy check if I do say so myself!

hoverfrog
2012-09-10, 06:35 AM
Here is what you know of the attacks and the "giants" so far.

They began a few months ago on the Twains in the far north. The first attack was against the fishing village of Northreach on North Star Isle. The raiders came by rowboat and landed a mile from the village where they then marched to the village and began to take captives. A defence was mounted but quickly quelled. Most people fled when the violence started. A dozen halflings were captured and half that killed. Several buildings and fishing boats were set alight.

Two days later a trading town known as Roan was attacked on Brother Star Island with similar results.

Rangers on these islands have dispatched messages by bird and by boat to the other islands and that information has found its way south to Old Alk and the other places where you are from. Information is limited and often no better than hearsay. The short messages from the rangers indicate several dozen giant ships moored off Shark's Luck and reports of halflings pressed into service building some sort of fort.

Word of raids on all six sister isles has also reached the southern isles.

The rangers number less than a hundred in total and most have duties that keep them pretty busy. The organisation is loosely defined but all agree that something needs to be done.

The priesthood is about the same size as the rangers but is largely concentrated on the Isle of the Dead. Those few with any kind of divine connected are already busy with the undead and cannot be spared. Druids are difficult to get hold of at the best of times but the Order of the Sea has pledged to aid in any way that it can. Several island kings, lords, mayors, maesters, etc have done the same and the king of Old Alk, King Boric the Devout, has pledged the aid of the court enchanter in the defence of the isles.

Most information to reach the common folk is third or fourth hand, little better than hearsay. Reassurances from those in power have come late or not at all and nobody really seems to have a plan on what to do. The isles have always been loosely ruled with each isle having its own laws and leadership. They are independent but generally cooperative of one another.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 08:55 AM
... Reassurances from those in power have come late or not at all and nobody really seems to have a plan on what to do. The isles have always been loosely ruled with each isle having its own laws and leadership. They are independent but generally cooperative of one another.

Sounds like the islands are in dire need of a group of plucky individuals to step forward and save the day. If only there were such a group to be found somewhere nearby!:smallbiggrin:

hoverfrog
2012-09-10, 09:12 AM
Sounds like the islands are in dire need of a group of plucky individuals to step forward and save the day. If only there were such a group to be found somewhere nearby!:smallbiggrin:If only. :smallsmile:

OzzyKP
2012-09-10, 10:30 AM
Ah! I refresh the page dozens of times yesterday waiting for posts discouraged that no one was posting, and then I wake up having missed a huge flurry of them! I guess I need to start waking up earlier.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 10:47 AM
It probably isn't too important at the moment as we are still trying to form the party and the interaction is a bit individual; but how are we going to manage the process where people have different times/frequencies where they can post. Whilst we don't want to hold everything up following a strict order, it would be easy for people to feel that they were being excluded/marginalised by those who can post more frequently.

I think Hoverfrog covered it a little in an earlier post about him summarising actions at the end of a round (to allow for posting out of initiative order) but what about when we aren't in combat?

hoverfrog
2012-09-10, 11:00 AM
I'm playing it by ear really. If anyone feels that I'm moving too quickly or too slowly please let me know. I plan on updating usually every day or when I feel that the game is stalling or at least every other day. The more frequent posts at the beginning are to try to set the background and get you together.

I hope that the current action allows you to ask questions and deliver testimony in any reasonable order. You don't have to wait for Bula and Athedru to finish. You can just ask a question of any of the witnesses. I'll assume that the formalities of the court move witnesses and questioners around. I can summarise things at the end if it gets confusing (unless I get confused :smallsmile:)

Avi235&258
2012-09-10, 12:16 PM
I hope that the current action allows you to ask questions and deliver testimony in any reasonable order. You don't have to wait for Bula and Athedru to finish. You can just ask a question of any of the witnesses. I'll assume that the formalities of the court move witnesses and questioners around. I can summarise things at the end if it gets confusing (unless I get confused :smallsmile:)

Well, then, I guess our only recourse is to confuse you.

Delia2531
2012-09-10, 12:19 PM
No complaints so far, just don't want people to get left out/behind if they aren't in he fortuous position of being able to post more than once per day.

Keep up the good work!

Newcomer
2012-09-11, 05:12 PM
Still a case of my character doesn't really have much to contribute right now.

How exactly does it work if you try to Sense Motive on someone who isn't bluffing? Is that the "hunch" use of Sense Motive?


Hunch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm)
This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.

Hunch is DC 20, which seems steep, but does that mean you really can't tell one way or the other unless you beat 20? Let me know if I'm asking too many questions. I try to fully understand how the rules work, but sometimes it's not clear what the intent of the rule is for some situations.

hoverfrog
2012-09-12, 01:31 AM
Sense motive allows you insight into what is going on that isn't readily apparent. Is the merchant trying to sell you faulty goods, is the captive lying to you, is someone trying to hide something from you? That sort of thing.

In the court room nobody is trying to hide anything (yet), a few people are unwilling to speak (Graorin has given reasons for this in his comments) and there is a general feeling of helplessness and inaction among the officials. It isn't that they don't want to act but that they genuinely don't know what to do.

Given that nobody seems to be hiding anything and you're good at reading people here is a brief summary of the motives of the people present:


Wain o' Waintown Upon the Hill seems to think that he has performed his civic duty by bringing a fearsome monster to the law.
Captain Rosby is being officious and passing the buck to the mayor.
Mayor Tomas is running this trial but the charges are flimsy and he seems to know this.
Athedru Namecarver is concerned for his friend.
Devka Thorn looks uncomfortable at being in a crowd and a bit angry.
Graorin seems resigned to his fate and discontent with the law but doesn't seem to be hiding anything.
Nygdath is worried, apparently about the slavers, and suspicious of the "giant" but you don't think that he's convinced of his guilt either.
Kevst just wants to get out of the court room and away from the legal system.
Bula Mistwalker seems to want to resolve the situation properly and uncover the truth.
Young Ben also wants to get out of the court room but seems to be looking for an angle where he can gain from the events.


Some of this is obvious even to those less skilled in reading people.

OzzyKP
2012-09-12, 10:59 AM
Can't argue with your assessment of Kevst. :smallsmile:

Avi235&258
2012-09-12, 05:30 PM
Nor I for Graorin. He's just going to wait patiently until he's addressed.

OzzyKP
2012-09-12, 05:35 PM
Kevst is tired of being patient. He's going to have his fun with or without y'all. :wink:

Avi235&258
2012-09-13, 04:12 AM
Graorin's basically pointed at somebody random in the crowd - but it's not going to be Kevst, who's not there; Ben, who's already known to be a thief; Athedru, who he knows; or Bula, who's openly taken the side of "let's hear the giant out". Nygdath isn't being pointed to either because he's a deep halfling as opposed to a regular one (you'll see why that makes a difference to Graorin soon).

If either of the other two PCs (Ever or Devka) want to happen to be the one being pointed to, that's great, especially as having attention drawn to you in the crowd will make getting the group together more easily achievable, and at the same time it will start up an interesting relationship dynamic between your character and Graorin. If neither of you want to, I have no problem with it being an NPC.

hoverfrog
2012-09-13, 04:43 AM
Hopefully a random NPC will do but if anyone wants to be sitting next to him and answer please jump in.

I see what you're up to, Avi235&258, and I heartily approve.

Delia2531
2012-09-13, 04:58 AM
I like the approach, I hadn't spotted it though (probably due to being unable to rolla spot-check!:smalleek:)

Lesson to learn, don't try to make dice rolls whilst balancing a baby on your lap; your attention to detail isn't great.

As it happens, I didn't intend to "spot" anyone but the sense motive to try to understand what was going on was what I really wanted.

Leolo
2012-09-13, 05:05 AM
What language does Graorin speak?

Avi235&258
2012-09-13, 07:50 AM
He's speaking the local language, which he was taught by Athedru as part of his backstory (and which I spent two valuable skill points to obtain :smallbiggrin:). He probably has a lousy accent.

Delia2531
2012-09-13, 11:31 AM
That might explain why Ben is listening so keenly!

Avi235&258
2012-09-13, 03:00 PM
I'm posting my action right now, but what if anything should I be doing in response to the sense motive rolls? I don't want to roll an opposed bluff check because Graorin's not bluffing, but I can't think of anything appropriate.

hoverfrog
2012-09-13, 03:09 PM
Nothing really, just describe what you're doing and thinking.

Newcomer
2012-09-13, 03:34 PM
I just posted Sense Motive to get an idea of how well Ever's following the situation. How I wish I were playing a quick, witty character for this scene!

This is only my second D&D campaign, and my real-life group doesn't roleplay very deeply most of the time. That, and I'm trying to play an INT 6/WIS 14 character. Which is to say, I will gladly accept feedback/suggestions to improve, not necessarily at the moment but throughout the campaign. Not in the sense that it's anyone's duty to coach me, just don't be afraid to speak up if my noobness is showing.

I think I have a handle on Ever's personality and outlook, but I'm still trying to figure out how much that 6 Intelligence affects things.

OzzyKP
2012-09-13, 03:55 PM
I think you are doing fine. Not all characters are going to have a role to play in all situations. Kevst clearly had nothing to do with this trial or determining whether the giant is a spy or not, what does he care? Kevst only cares about himself (and a bit about Athedru), the giant is a curiosity, not something to be personally invested in. So... he left. Then found a way to make a buck (or a gp). :)

In my other game I'm playing a paladin who has quickly become the group leader. He's up front and in the lead in everything that is going on so far. Kevst on the other hand has no interest in doing that.

Hopefully hover provides some good motivation for Kevst to join whatever shenanigans he has planned for us.

Delia2531
2012-09-13, 04:41 PM
As Ben is a quick-thinking (read cheeky) con-man/confidence trickster; I'm thinking of having him jump in on Graorin's side, and trying to convince the 'court' that if Graorin is friendly towards halflings then perhaps they can learn from him and come up with ways to defeat the slavers.

Thoughts? I don't want to step on anyone's toes with it so I'll wait until the morning to post.

Delia2531
2012-09-14, 05:23 AM
What I propose here is that Ben stands before the court, gives a heartfelt reason as to why he should represent the giant (to ensure a fair voice) and then helps Graorin phase his responses to the questions (using his high Charisma-based skills). Basically a complicated way to acheive the same idea as "assist another" in a RP scenario.

Hopefully, this will tie Ben and Graorin together a little whatever the fates have in store; either gratitude for a successful release, penance for an unsuccessful one, or simply being treated the same by the Mayor in addressing the threat from the North.

Newcomer
2012-09-15, 02:12 PM
About time Ever takes a stand, although I didn't think he'd speak up when I started the post. He doesn't exactly like it when people overcomplicate things, but now he's said his piece.

OzzyKP
2012-09-15, 02:36 PM
Kevst wonders whether this trial will wrap up before he lifts every bit of precious metal from Alkton.

Newcomer
2012-09-15, 04:59 PM
Nice roll, Delia! Good writing, too. :smallbiggrin:

Avi235&258
2012-09-16, 01:07 AM
*whistles* Nice!

(For the record, the Jewish New Year starts tonight, so I'll be absent from then through Tuesday evening.)

Delia2531
2012-09-16, 05:18 AM
Sometimes the typing gods and the dice gods work together! If I hadn't put an extra space in the first roll I bet it would have been a 1!

I originally intended to make this a longer interaction, but we run the risk of being in the courtroom for the rest of 2012 so I jumped straight to an attempt at a more direct solution but I expect it will still take a little more to form an adventuring party from those assembled!

OzzyKP
2012-09-16, 10:17 AM
*whistles* Nice!

(For the record, the Jewish New Year starts tonight, so I'll be absent from then through Tuesday evening.)

I knew that was coming up.. hmm. You are kind of a key player in this whole thing.

Hover, is there a way we can move forward without having to sit around waiting till Tuesday?

OzzyKP
2012-09-16, 12:25 PM
Btw, Happy Yom Kippur Avi!

Delia2531
2012-09-17, 11:00 AM
Looks like we're getting the band back together!

:smallbiggrin:

hoverfrog
2012-09-17, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone. Just to let you know that I have my monthly IT maintenance scheduled in for tomorrow night (GMT) at work. I'll probably post at lunch time but there may be a short interlude while I eat pizza spend the evening upgrading machines and installing bug fixes.

Delia2531
2012-09-17, 03:30 PM
So we reconvene at the endof Yom Kippur is over then!

Newcomer
2012-09-17, 05:24 PM
dancing_shadows, it says you've made a new post in the IC thread, but I'm not seeing it. Was that a deleted post or is it lost in the interwebz?

hoverfrog
2012-09-18, 01:07 AM
That's a "feature" of the forum. Sometimes the first post on a new page isn't visible until someone posts a reply.

EDIT: You should see it now that I've added another comment.

Delia2531
2012-09-18, 09:56 AM
Hmmm, the clerk may think I am on the level but if I am trying to make friends with the party I stink! Maybe it's just that you are all such good judges of character and can spot a miscreant so easily?!:smallredface:

Newcomer
2012-09-18, 10:55 AM
I think most of us, at least, are already at least indifferent, if not already friendly, toward someone who just made his argument in favor of the wrongly accused.

And Diplomacy is generally not intended for use among PCs. We get to freely role play our interactions.

Avi235&258
2012-09-18, 12:25 PM
Yom Kippur is next week :p

Graorin should probably *not* be given a choice, at least by the mayor, something along the lines of "This is to prove to us that you're not a spy just as much as for the reason I already stated." Then, in order to prevent him from splitting as soon as the party leaves the city limits, Athedru should probably prevail on him to help. He'll listen, if begrudgingly.

Delia2531
2012-09-18, 03:02 PM
I think most of us, at least, are already at least indifferent, if not already friendly, toward someone who just made his argument in favor of the wrongly accused.

And Diplomacy is generally not intended for use among PCs. We get to freely role play our interactions.

Lucky really as my rolls were pants!

OzzyKP
2012-09-18, 04:28 PM
Yom Kippur is next week :p

Graorin should probably *not* be given a choice, at least by the mayor, something along the lines of "This is to prove to us that you're not a spy just as much as for the reason I already stated." Then, in order to prevent him from splitting as soon as the party leaves the city limits, Athedru should probably prevail on him to help. He'll listen, if begrudgingly.

Athedru is going to have to prevail on Kevst too (and Ben is probably going to need to promise some riches).

Delia2531
2012-09-18, 04:51 PM
Unless we just leave Kevst behind?
:smallwink:

OzzyKP
2012-09-18, 05:03 PM
Maybe I'll just pick all your pockets before you leave and go have my own adventure. :smallannoyed:

Delia2531
2012-09-19, 01:24 AM
I'm sure we can convince you to come along?
:smallwink:

hoverfrog
2012-09-20, 05:13 AM
You're all waiting for me aren't you?

My apologies but I've been swamped at work. I'll try to put something up later today. Thanks for your patience.

hoverfrog
2012-09-20, 05:52 AM
"Coinage" in the isles is typically in the form of hack silver. These are bands of copper, silver, gold or even platinum that can be worn as bracelets. Some are made to slot together and can be "broken" off as payment.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B8YOAXiG0tE/TumJcNRP4SI/AAAAAAAAFmE/2BgXYYsqAmo/s1600/PughHoard.bmp

Essentially you're being given 500gp to spend on equipment and two potions of cure light wounds.

You might be able to buy a boat for 500gp. It can wait till you get to Bridge or you can pick up a boat in Old Alk. There is one that is 10 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet in depth. The boat has one pair of oars, an anchor, a mast, and a lateen sail. Not comfortable for extended periods but servicable for island hopping.

Bridge is a small island to the west, not on the large map. It is low lying and often flooded and nobody really knows if it's one island or a dozen because if is made up of hundreds of wooden bridges connected houses and shops build on stilts or on high "hills". The town isn't prosperous and survives by fishing and selling fish and salt to larger islands in exchange for other goods. A lot of people travel through Bridge and it is known as a good place to find things out.

Newcomer
2012-09-20, 10:44 AM
Should they split between that boat and Ever's, or all cramp into the one? The SRD rowboat he owns is 8-12 ft. long, holding 2-3 *Medium passengers.

If nothing else, he has extra oars.

Delia2531
2012-09-20, 05:34 PM
What's it to be Ozzy? Is Kevst in or out? Ben won't pay him to come along though.

OzzyKP
2012-09-20, 11:45 PM
Oh shucks, I suppose I'll tag along. :smallcool:

OzzyKP
2012-09-20, 11:47 PM
Should they split between that boat and Ever's, or all cramp into the one? The SRD rowboat he owns is 8-12 ft. long, holding 2-3 *Medium passengers.

If nothing else, he has extra oars.

Yea, why not just use Ever's boat? It should fit us all. Or upgrade it to add a sail. (or trade it in for one with a sail)

Newcomer
2012-09-20, 11:55 PM
Well, it's only supposed to fit 2-3 medium characters.. I don't think it could manage 1 medium and 7 small characters. Plus there's the horse to think about, but I don't know what the plan is there.

OzzyKP
2012-09-20, 11:57 PM
Oh yea, the horse, heh. And damn, are there really 8 of us? I forgot our group was so big.

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-21, 12:27 AM
2 small creatures (which most of us are) count as one medium creature, one large creature (which is what the horse is?) counts as 2 medium creatures, i am assuming that garion wouldn't be seperated from his horse, meaning that if he went in that boat no one else would fit.

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 12:50 AM
There is a larger ship, the cog, that will take you as far as Bridge. Maybe you could find a way to get you all on the same vessel from there.

Delia2531
2012-09-21, 01:55 AM
Oh shucks, I suppose I'll tag along. :smallcool:

Phew!
:smallwink:

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 04:56 AM
Hi everyone.

You've basically got about 6 hours until the cog, and your lift the Bridge, leaves.

Details of the cog

Trading Ship: Ogre's Kiss
Size: 52 ft long, 18ft wide, 100 tons of cargo
Crew: 18 crew under Captain Rames Longham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2004/07/27/cog_ship_203x152.jpg

She isn't pretty but she is a serviceable vessel. She is carrying mainly livestock and lumber to bridge.

Let me know if you want to do anything until the ship is ready to leave.

Vesth
2012-09-21, 05:08 AM
Do you want the spot check IC or OOC?

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 05:10 AM
Do you want the spot check IC or OOC?In character and spoilered please/

Avi235&258
2012-09-21, 05:40 AM
Were Graorin to want to skip out on the party (and therefore we'd have to have the prevailing-on-him-to-stay scene), would it be easier from here or from Bridge?

Also, is it currently morning or evening? I got the impression evening from your pointing out the number of beds, but if the boat leaves in only six hours...

Delia2531
2012-09-21, 05:58 AM
Jedi hand-wave"This is not the interesting thing you are looking for":smallfrown:

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 06:43 AM
Also, is it currently morning or evening? I got the impression evening from your pointing out the number of beds, but if the boat leaves in only six hours...It is early afternoon. I'd assumed that you'd arrived at the court in the morning.

The room doubles as a bedroom as well as a meeting room and takes up the whole top floor.

Vesth
2012-09-21, 07:37 AM
As a sorcerer, my raven can make my spot check for me right?

So, say, the raven has the skill: Spot +5.

Does this add on to it's ability modifier? (Wis: 14)

So...total: 1d20+7?

hoverfrog
2012-09-21, 10:05 AM
You each get a roll independently. Don't forget that having a familiar grants you the Alertness feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#alertness) when it is within arms reach so you get +2 to Spot and Listen from that.

The monster descriptions in the SRD already have ability adjustments added (or taken away). As a familiar it's Int is actually four higher than the monster listing though. A raven (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm) has Spot +7 before any additional skill points that you might choose to add to it.

It also gains hit dice as you do but advances as a magical beast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#magicalBeastType). Why there isn't a table of core familiar stats by level I don't know.

Delia2531
2012-09-21, 03:40 PM
Did Kevst search with his eyes closed?:smalltongue:

OzzyKP
2012-09-21, 03:54 PM
Heh, I guess so, that was a pretty horrible failure at that spot check. Maybe I'll role play it a bit..

Thankfully Ever is around to look at things for us.

Newcomer
2012-09-21, 04:03 PM
Yep! Hopefully it's not something really complicated, though.. He's not too good with complicated talkin'..

And I think Ever will sell his boat/gear, since they might not come back (return journey? heh..) by way of Old Alk. But I'll wait for whatever this spot check business is before he heads off to sell it.

Vesth
2012-09-21, 08:11 PM
Wait wait, what? My raven has 10hp, and has skill points to spend?

hoverfrog
2012-09-22, 03:45 AM
Let me check....

According to the SRD:
A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was, but it is treated as a magical beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on its type. Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. An animal companion cannot also function as a familiar.So I was wrong. It does have skills but only those of an animal with a higher intelligence and when you advance it also gains levels and skills too.

So an animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType) has the following:
Animal Type
An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.

Features
An animal has the following features (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

8-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (certain animals have different good saves, for instance dire animals have good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves).
Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
Traits
An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
Low-light vision.
Alignment: Always neutral.
Treasure: None.
Proficient with its natural weapons only. A noncombative herbivore uses its natural weapons as a secondary attack. Such attacks are made with a -5 penalty on the creature’s attack rolls, and the animal receives only ½ its Strength modifier as a damage adjustment.
Proficient with no armor unless trained for war.
Animals eat, sleep, and breathe.That means with an INT of 6 (-2 skill points) your familiar has 4 skill points at first level. They have the alertness feat for +2 to Listen and Spot and a WIS of 14 for an additional +2 to these skills. The skills of Listen +5, Spot +7 must therefore show that the raven spent 1 skill point of listen and 3 on spot.

When you advance a level it will gain an additional skill point and when you hit 5th level it's INT goes up to 8 and it will gain 2 skill points per level.

Delia2531
2012-09-22, 11:57 AM
Way to go dancingshadows; at least Devka has keen eyesight!

Dancing Shadows
2012-09-22, 12:13 PM
Didn't think i'd get that lucky! :smallbiggrin: i will tell you guys if i see anything of import that i think you should know

Delia2531
2012-09-23, 10:36 AM
Ben didn't see anything, therefore doing nothing just yet.

Avi235&258
2012-09-23, 11:30 AM
Leolo, is Nygdath saying this in Graorin's presence?

Leolo
2012-09-23, 11:45 AM
Sure. I believe everyone can hear it. It doesn't seem as if Nygdaths Anger is really based on Graorin, though.

Delia2531
2012-09-24, 06:51 AM
I believe that Ben is the "diplomat" of the group; so he'll try to calm things down. We'll need to be at least comfortable with each other before we get in to the confined spaces of a boat/ship.

I don't want anyone to feel that I am trying to take the lead on this. I (and Ben) and more than willing to be lead should a "Colonel Smith" type step forward.:smalltongue:

Avi235&258
2012-09-24, 08:18 AM
If it's in Ben's character to take the lead on trying to keep the group together, go for it! Personally, I think a little intra-party conflict is healthy, so it might be good to keep at least some of the Graorin-Nygdath tension going.

Delia2531
2012-09-24, 09:16 AM
I'm all for a little tension/conflict, someone just needs to hold it all together in a (often barely) functioning whole. As the diplomat/face this may well be a key role for Ben to ensure that the planner/leader has the tools he needs to pull of his genius plans.

I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall here!

Newcomer
2012-09-24, 09:36 AM
Ever also tends towards keeping the peace, but he's hardly a diplomat. He just avoids being petty and tries to be everyone's friend, as far as possible. Did Graorin eat much inside? Ever might bring something out for him.

OzzyKP
2012-09-24, 10:21 AM
I'm all for a little tension/conflict, someone just needs to hold it all together in a (often barely) functioning whole. As the diplomat/face this may well be a key role for Ben to ensure that the planner/leader has the tools he needs to pull of his genius plans.

I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall here!

Kevst has no intention of bothering to soothe bruised egos, so I fully support your efforts to keep us together. I've undertaken the 'face' role in my other two games, so I'm happy to sit back and let you take on the responsibility this time.

Delia2531
2012-09-24, 11:02 AM
Kevst has no intention of bothering to soothe bruised egos, so I fully support your efforts to keep us together. I've undertaken the 'face' role in my other two games, so I'm happy to sit back and let you take on the responsibility this time.

I'm normally the skill-monkey or a meat shield; I can't get my head round spellcasters so this makes a nice change for me too!

OzzyKP
2012-09-24, 11:22 AM
Yea, spellcasters seem too complicated for me too. But in my new game my character can sometimes cast a few spells, so I figure I can ease into the whole spells thing.

OzzyKP
2012-09-24, 12:04 PM
I'm all for a little tension/conflict, someone just needs to hold it all together in a (often barely) functioning whole. As the diplomat/face this may well be a key role for Ben to ensure that the planner/leader has the tools he needs to pull of his genius plans.

I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall here!

I wonder who the planner/leader is? I guess we'll work that out soon, IC. Kevst and the barbarian are the smartest, but I don't think either of us have the inclination to take leadership. Ever might want to, but he's dumb as a rock. Perhaps Ben will serve as both leader and face (which would go together well).

Newcomer
2012-09-24, 02:07 PM
Ever might take on part of the leadership role in time, but yeah, not the planning side of things. I believe he's about the only character in the group who's good-aligned rather than neutral, so he might be a bit of a moral compass, as far as that goes.

Unfortunately, I think we'll need to fight something off and save each other's skins a few times before the party really feels like a group.

I'm gonna go ahead and move Ever along now. He's got a boat to sell and some things to buy perhaps.

hover, can you explain the hacksilver thing again? How much is it worth, relative to coins?

hoverfrog
2012-09-24, 03:01 PM
hover, can you explain the hacksilver thing again? How much is it worth, relative to coins?Sure, it's worth exactly the same. Hacksilver is simply a flavour thing. 10 silver pieces is worth the same as a gold piece or a band of hack silver. It's just easy to transport and the weight of silver is suited to a region without a centralised government minting the coins.

1cp = 1 piece hack copper
1sp = 1 band hack copper = 1 piece of hacksilver
10sp = 1gp = 10 bands hackcopper = 1 band hacksilver = 1 piece hack gold
10gp = 1pp = 10 bands hacksilver = 1 band hackgold = 1 piece hack platinum
etc

Day to day spending is in hacksilver

Avi235&258
2012-09-24, 04:03 PM
Ever also tends towards keeping the peace, but he's hardly a diplomat. He just avoids being petty and tries to be everyone's friend, as far as possible. Did Graorin eat much inside? Ever might bring something out for him.

Nah, he wouldn't have had much chance to eat anything. Especially as the portions are probably way too small.

Delia2531
2012-09-25, 10:48 AM
I think hat Ben has his work cut out if he wants to bring Graorin in to the bar to speak to the crowd!
:smallamused:

hoverfrog
2012-09-25, 10:54 AM
Avi235&258, I just want to check something. Has Graorin gone outside the attic room or outside of the inn? I'd assumed that you'd just left the room and were lurking in the stair well.

Delia2531, I thought so too.

Newcomer
2012-09-25, 11:22 AM
I was assuming Graorin was outside the inn, but Ever's conversation could have taken place in either location.

Do you want to roleplay out the buying/selling of gear? I was waiting to see if any of the townspeople directed Ever to a shop, or he'd just head towards the docks. He plans to sell the boat, chain, lock, and one of the oars, and then possibly buy a shortbow and some arrows.

hoverfrog
2012-09-25, 11:25 AM
Do you want to roleplay out the buying/selling of gear? I was waiting to see if any of the townspeople directed Ever to a shop, or he'd just head towards the docks. He plans to sell the boat, chain, lock, and one of the oars, and then possibly buy a shortbow and some arrows.I'm happy for you to just buy and sell things out of character.

Newcomer
2012-09-25, 11:54 AM
Character sheet is updated. I'm ready to move on to the departure whenever everyone else is set.

Avi235&258
2012-09-26, 11:53 AM
Avi235&258, I just want to check something. Has Graorin gone outside the attic room or outside of the inn? I'd assumed that you'd just left the room and were lurking in the stair well.

My intention was outside the inn; even if the stairwell wasn't physically cramped for him (which it presumably is), Graorin has a general inclination to prefer the outdoors.

Avi235&258
2012-09-26, 06:43 PM
Wisdom check (against being a stubborn and irritable ass):
[roll0]

ETA: Wow, between that and the charisma roll...

Newcomer
2012-09-26, 10:23 PM
Nice little development...

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 02:34 AM
posting rolls as something didn't work (did it on my phone, that may be the cause).

Jump - makes it on to the table
Balance [roll1] - nails the landing
Bluff [roll2] - pretty convincing speech
Diplomacy [roll]1d20+7
Balance 1d20+4

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 02:36 AM
Now i'm just being a muppet who can't type!

Diplomacy [roll0] - charming as you like
Balance [roll1] - drops to the floor like a cat


Go Ben! Awesome dice rolling if I do say so myself!

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 04:00 AM
Wisdom check (against being a stubborn and irritable ass):
[roll0]

ETA: Wow, between that and the charisma roll...


I love that you let the dice decide how you as a player play your own character; I often do that when faced with either a difficult decision or a random choice, but usually I just roll a D6 for odd/even or list of choices. I may adopt the roll against an appropriate stat with a DC15 now too.

OzzyKP
2012-09-27, 08:04 AM
Now i'm just being a muppet who can't type!

Diplomacy [roll0] - charming as you like
Balance [roll1] - drops to the floor like a cat


Go Ben! Awesome dice rolling if I do say so myself!

Be careful, you're using up all your good luck on theatrics, once we see our first battle you'll be rolling nothing but 1's, hehe. :smallwink:

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 09:00 AM
My last game I built a thief who was supposed to be a master of rooftop running, climbing etc and a cat burglar to boot.

First climb check (+9 modifier if I remember correctly) I rolled a 1. He should have fallen out of the window of his room (6 floors, so probably to his death); luckily the DM allowed it to be a total failure to even start climbing and made me take the stairs down inside and walk to my destination!



Also - yay for RP-based character rewards! A masterwork darkwood quarterstaff, a very cool free gift!

Newcomer
2012-09-27, 09:36 AM
Agreed on the dice rolls for character.. sometimes I'll just set a probability for each reaction and roll percentile dice.

And the quarterstaff.. very curious indeed. Should we say Ever and Devka make it back to the inn about now?

hoverfrog
2012-09-27, 09:58 AM
Yep, Ever and Devka and anyone else who has decided to wander should meet up at about now. The ship leaves within the hour.

OzzyKP
2012-09-27, 10:30 AM
Did Kevst find anything interesting in the room?

hoverfrog
2012-09-27, 11:25 AM
Did Kevst find anything interesting in the room?Oops, sorry. No, sadly there is nothing of value and nothing of interest beyond a few extra blankets and some board games.

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 11:45 AM
We could do with a couple of games for the journey!

:smallbiggrin:

Avi235&258
2012-09-27, 12:14 PM
Graorin gets out some parchment for character sheets. (http://xkcd.com/244/)

Delia2531
2012-09-27, 02:33 PM
Graorin gets out some parchment for character sheets. (http://xkcd.com/244/)

XKCD = FTW!

Newcomer
2012-09-27, 03:11 PM
:-D something about message length..

Delia2531
2012-09-28, 08:19 AM
Expressing interest in the m/w bullets or dagger; any combat from me will be at range. Failing that an additional dagger would give me more throwing options.

CMW for anyone intending to get in to melee often?

Newcomer
2012-09-28, 09:59 AM
I'll gladly take a mundane dagger (or 2, but I'm guessing most of the halflings will want a dagger). And I wouldn't turn down a potion, but I do have one already. We also have the 2 potions and the money from the mayor.

What size is everything? Are the weapons other than the quarterstaff sized for small characters?

OzzyKP
2012-09-28, 10:09 AM
I already have three daggers, I don't need any more. Those crossbow bolts look interesting though.

Are we going to evenly divide up all the gold or have one of us hold onto this extra stuff for the group? If we go that route I suggest Ever.

(in character though I suggest Kevst hold onto it all, but I can't guarantee he'd give it back, heh)

hoverfrog
2012-09-28, 10:20 AM
What size is everything? Are the weapons other than the quarterstaff sized for small characters?Indeed they are.

Newcomer
2012-09-28, 10:33 AM
Are we going to evenly divide up all the gold or have one of us hold onto this extra stuff for the group? If we go that route I suggest Ever.


While Ever is relatively strong, he's a stealthy type who tries to carry a light load. It might be wise to purchase a donkey on Bridge if we need more carrying capacity. But for the moment, we have room on the boat for the baskets.

Delia2531
2012-09-28, 10:44 AM
...

(in character though I suggest Kevst hold onto it all, but I can't guarantee he'd give it back, heh)

Treasure, what treasure? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html)

OzzyKP
2012-09-28, 11:07 AM
Haley put a lot of points into Bluff. :smallbiggrin:

OzzyKP
2012-09-28, 11:27 AM
While Ever is relatively strong, he's a stealthy type who tries to carry a light load. It might be wise to purchase a donkey on Bridge if we need more carrying capacity. But for the moment, we have room on the boat for the baskets.

I just meant the money, not the gear/items.

Newcomer
2012-09-28, 03:16 PM
Looks like Ever sees exactly what the weather will be for this voyage! I just wanted to know whether he'd want to set up his tent for cover from rain, assuming there was room...


DC 15 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/survival.htm): Predict the weather up to 24 hours in advance. For every 5 points by which your Survival check result exceeds 15, you can predict the weather for one additional day in advance.

Vesth
2012-09-28, 10:09 PM
Well, I could always use somemore crossbow bolts, a little bit of cash and...is it possible to add Identify to my spellbook?

hoverfrog
2012-09-29, 03:59 AM
is it possible to add Identify to my spellbook?Not as a sorcerer, no. You have the advantage of not needing a spellbook and the disadvantage of not being able to copy spells into it.

Avi235&258
2012-09-29, 04:27 PM
Graorin will take the shield if nobody else is interested in it. I don't know if his high survival skill means he's the best person to take the map (circumstance bonus to make his roll even greater) or the worst (because he really doesn't need it). I don't need the potions or scroll either.

Newcomer: Why do we need to hire a donkey to carry stuff? We've got a horse. And a big one. :smallbiggrin:

I'll also be picking new spells more suitable for being on a boat for tomorrow morning...

Newcomer
2012-09-29, 04:34 PM
Good point. :smalltongue:

I don't know about keeping the map, but Ever will want to look it over at least.

Delia2531
2012-09-29, 04:38 PM
Perhaps everyone should at least look at it for additional situational awareness; then perhaps our second best survival skill owner would be better to keep it as a backup. If we lose Graorin's skill for whatever reason we might be stuck with a really poor skill to try and save him.

Avi235&258
2012-09-29, 04:43 PM
Obviously everyone should at least look at it :)

So whoever has the second-best Survival skill check should have it. Graorin's at +9, so I assume nobody else beats that?

Also, a question: Does Purify Food and Drink make salt water potable? I've seen contradictory answers in google searches.

Newcomer
2012-09-29, 04:51 PM
Ever's at +4 in Survival and -1 (but trained, yay -2 INT) in Knowledge (geography).

hoverfrog
2012-09-29, 05:28 PM
Also, a question: Does Purify Food and Drink make salt water potable? I've seen contradictory answers in google searches.Given that Create Water is a level below for you I really don't see what harm it could do to have Purify Food and Water make sea water safe to drink. Not tasty but safe.

The Ogre's Kiss has a plentiful supply of water. It never hurts to take precautions though.

--

I suppose I'll actually have to create a map of Shark's Luck now. :smallsmile:

OzzyKP
2012-09-29, 10:42 PM
I kept thinking that we were missing someone, but I couldn't remember who. Now I looked it up and our cleric seems to be MIA. It has been 10 days since he posted in the IC thread and hasn't posted here at all.

Anyone know what's up?

Avi235&258
2012-09-30, 01:34 AM
The Ogre's Kiss has a plentiful supply of water. It never hurts to take precautions though.

Being CrazyPrepared isn't exactly a part of Graorin's personality (cf: not having "escape" spells ready when he got caught), but he remembers all too well what happened the last time he was on a boat...

Newcomer
2012-10-01, 08:44 PM
Where'd everybody go? I think some of us are waiting on hover to move forward and hover's waiting on the rest of the party getting on the boat..?

Either that or it's just a terrible Monday for everyone, which seems about right.

Delia2531
2012-10-02, 12:46 AM
I'm definitely waiting on the boat leaving.

hoverfrog
2012-10-02, 01:00 AM
Sorry, I was swamped yesterday. I'll post your arrival at Bridge later today. Have you decided to stay with the Ogre's Kiss and make your slow way round the islands or to try to find a faster ship at Bridge to take you?

Delia2531
2012-10-02, 04:14 AM
Probably a discussion either when we arrive at Bridge or on the way there is in order; bring on the RP!

Looks like our party has dwindled slightly; are we assuming anyone missing made it on to the boat and tagged along as far as Bridge?

hoverfrog
2012-10-02, 06:05 AM
Looks like our party has dwindled slightly; are we assuming anyone missing made it on to the boat and tagged along as far as Bridge?Indeed. It will only become an issue if when combat begins and I've prepared opponents to face eight of you and only three turn up. As they devour your intestines and munch on your bones you can lament your missing allies. :smallcool:

Delia2531
2012-10-02, 06:27 AM
I keep forgetting that you can't add rolls during the edit process.

new roll for Local knowledge (rolling a D2 was never going to go well!)[roll0]

Looks like Ben won't have any trouble getting back to the docks from the pub (unless beer is consumed of course!):smallbiggrin:

Vesth
2012-10-02, 07:16 AM
My raven can actually speak....language everyone can understand, right?

hoverfrog
2012-10-02, 07:57 AM
Young Ben has no trouble finding his way to the Dead Man's Rest despite the overlapping bridges and somewhat convoluted path that you have to take.

Vesth, the choice of language is yours but yes, a raven familiar has the supernatural ability to speak a language.

Avi235&258
2012-10-02, 01:35 PM
(continued from Graorin's post)

...or at least as inland as you can get in a place like Bridge.

Vesth
2012-10-06, 07:47 AM
Have we decided who takes what? I mentioned I wanted a few bolts...

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 08:06 PM
Have we decided who takes what? I mentioned I wanted a few bolts...

Okay, here's what we've got so far, and no one has been bossy about claiming things so everything is tentatively assigned, pending group approval/additional claims.


The gifts include the following of note and odds and sods that aren't important enough to mention:

A scroll case containing a slightly water damaged map of Shark's Luck, the island that you've heard is the base of operations for the slavers.--suggested for 2nd best Survival, probably Ever, but I'd rather not carry it
A scroll of Identify.--possibly Athedru, though he can't learn it
Two potions of cure light wounds.--Ever (1), suggested for anyone in melee often (Devka?)
30 sling bullets including...
5 master work sling bullets.--Young Ben (and/or dagger)
25 light crossbow bolts including 4 of master work quality.--Kevst, Athedru
7 daggers including...--Ever (1 or 2), plenty for all
one that is master work.--Young Ben (and/or bullets)
A silver holy symbol.--I'd assume Bula, if he's still with us
An old darkwood heavy shield. It has a coat of arms engraved into the wood and it looks like it was once painted.--Graorin (except it's small size, maybe Nygdath?)
52 gp of hack silver and gold.


Also from the mayor:

Essentially you're being given 500gp--I wasn't sure if this is per person or in total-- to spend on equipment and two potions of cure light wounds.

EDIT: and sorry if I missed anyone's claims.

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 03:24 AM
To clarify the 500gp was in total, not individually.

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 03:32 AM
The forums have been down for a while (obviously) and the break may have broken the flow a little. Rather than wait for Leolo, OzzyKP, Shotaro to post I'm just going to assume that they head to the Dead Man's Rest with Ben and Ever.

Graorin and Athedru are riding through the shallows to the hills to the west where they can dry off and get away from the crowds in the town.

Devka is wandering around listening to rumours.

Avi235&258
2012-10-07, 05:38 AM
Ah, forgot about the shield size issue. Who wants it?

Avi235&258
2012-10-07, 06:02 AM
Another question. The SRD at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm gives slightly different stats than the ones that came out of the character generator at www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm (which is where everything but the list of tricks known in my myth-weavers page's other notes was copied from). The differences are:

- Attack is given in the SRD as Hoof -1 melee (1d6+1*) or 2 hooves -1 melee (1d6+1*), but the generator gave me Attacks: 2 hooves +3 melee and Damage 1d6+2 (hoof);
- The generator doesn't give the horse low-light vision;
- The SRD gives the horse strength 16 rather than 15;
- The horse has skills Listen +4 and Spot +4 in the SRD, but the generator gave him +6.

Am I doing anything wrong? What set of stats should I use? (And does the horse get a spot check here?)

hoverfrog
2012-10-07, 06:43 AM
Strange. It looks like the programmer has taken the base attack as the attack bonus and not taken into account that a hoof attack is considered a secondary attack. If it were trained as a warhorse it would be very different.

If it doubt take the SRD.

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 09:23 AM
Avi, would you be willing to carry a little of our gear on your horse, then? If so, I wouldn't mind taking the shield, unless someone else would use it regularly. Ever will not always use it. I'd really only want to put the tent on the horse, maybe some rations, so as to keep a light load.

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 09:31 AM
We could always buy a mule?

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 10:50 AM
I suggested that before, but he pointed out his horse. That was for the shared stuff, but buying a mule for 5 pounds seems silly. :-P

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 01:48 PM
The crowd see a simpleton trying to be subtle about what he is hear for, but apparently whilst Ben can hear plenty going on he has no idea who or what is, in fact, going on!:smallannoyed:

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 02:09 PM
And I get to decide what stupid Ever gets out of that performance..

Either...
-he understands what you're doing, more or less (Sense Motive success)
-he doesn't understand, but knowing you're up to something, goes ahead and gets drinks (Sense Motive failure, Wisdom success)
-he gets confused by the "our contact" bit, and questions you, much to your chagrin (Sense Motive failure, Wisdom failure)
-or the above, and he also asks you why you're looking around, and looks around like an idiot (Sense Motive failure by 5 or more, Wisdom failure by 5 or more)

I'm just rolling because I'm not sure whether Ever gets it, I'm indecisive, and it amuses me.. And because I think Ever might ruin your plan, but I'll give him a chance not to.
So.. Sense Motive against Bluff 15: [roll0] (I'm giving myself a circumstance bonus since I knew you had a plan..)
Wisdom check against let's say DC 10: [roll1]

Delia2531
2012-10-07, 04:14 PM
I like it!

Leolo
2012-10-08, 01:19 AM
Sorry for not posting since a while. I have often read your postings, but have problems to come into character and into the story.

Maybe this isn't the right thing for me.

I wish you fun guys, though.

Sorry.

Delia2531
2012-10-08, 04:38 AM
But who's going to tell the great tales of our adventures now?

I guess sometimes things just don't click in a game/group; it's a shame if it isn't working out but often better to part company than force yourself to participate in a game you aren't enjoying.

All the best, perhaps another time?


:smallcool:

hoverfrog
2012-10-08, 05:18 AM
No problem Leolo, thanks for letting us know.

Leolo
2012-10-08, 05:20 AM
Basically my character feels somehow out of place, and I do not get into him.

hoverfrog
2012-10-08, 05:29 AM
Basically my character feels somehow out of place, and I do not get into him.Would you just like to change it for something else?

Delia2531
2012-10-08, 05:43 AM
Plenty of scope to make new friends here at bridge!
:smallwink:

OzzyKP
2012-10-08, 10:23 AM
And I get to decide what stupid Ever gets out of that performance..


Well done. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 10:26 AM
I second what the others have said. If the character's not going to work for you, then might as well not force it. But maybe you can take a new character.

But what happens to Nygdath? Did he stay behind on Old Alk to fill in the authorities on every detail he could? Or does he hear something in Bridge that sounds like his island, and decides to part ways and check it out? I'd prefer to story him out rather than have him just not there any more.

Delia2531
2012-10-08, 10:59 AM
I also support the IC reasons for leaving approach; it would be great to pick up another party member if you feel like a change, we're getting low on numbers as it is!:smallredface:

Avi235&258
2012-10-08, 10:21 PM
I don't have time right now but I'll adjust the horse's stats to match the SRD tomorrow.

What about the spot check? Just Graorin, or the horse too?

hoverfrog
2012-10-09, 03:42 AM
What about the spot check? Just Graorin, or the horse too?Both I think.

Delia2531
2012-10-09, 04:15 AM
Funny how rumours get started in small communities isn't it!?!:smalleek:

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 10:00 AM
Delia, did you signal Ever to come up the staircase with you? I know she mentioned bringing your little friend, but I wasn't sure. I'm guessing you don't want him there and interfering, but I wanted to make sure before I post anything from the table.

Delia2531
2012-10-10, 11:37 AM
I didn't explicitely, but neither did I motion for him to stay where he was.

Perhaps he followed, but stayed by the door just in case (he may not have understood the double entendre, or may not have spotted that it was a cover).

Vesth
2012-10-10, 11:45 AM
Dreev will be flying as high as it can, just enough that its shadow can alert them, while hopefully being out of range of any flying missiles.

OzzyKP
2012-10-10, 12:10 PM
Mostly empty baskets? I didn't think we had divided up the stuff yet, so I'm assuming all the items and gold we got are still sitting in those baskets.

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 12:33 PM
I'm going with the option of Ever wasn't watching Ben closely enough, so since Ben didn't try to get his attention, Ever just stays where he is.

Speaking of your raven, I'd like to do a Knowledge (nature) check to see whether Ever knows they can talk.

[roll0] (it's a trained check, it's just that -2 INT mod popping up again)

Vesth
2012-10-10, 01:06 PM
Do ravens normally talk? I thought they talk only because its a familiar...in which case, does a Knowledge (Nature) check still apply?

Delia2531
2012-10-10, 01:09 PM
Isn't that the point though? Checking to see whether he thinks a talking raven is unusual based on what he knows about ravens.

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 01:42 PM
Ah, right. I was thinking ravens can talk, but it's only raven familiars that are intelligent enough to use speech. And Ever hasn't seen the raven talk, no. Disregard the roll.

hoverfrog
2012-10-10, 06:37 PM
Did I miss anyone? You've all split up. :smalleek:

OzzyKP
2012-10-10, 09:49 PM
Missed my ooc question.

hoverfrog
2012-10-11, 12:43 AM
Mostly empty baskets? I didn't think we had divided up the stuff yet, so I'm assuming all the items and gold we got are still sitting in those baskets.One was full of food which would have been eaten by now and some people have taken a few things. Even if the bulk of the treasure is in the baskets they would be less than half full.

Delia2531
2012-10-11, 02:08 AM
Not so much "never split the party" but "never all be in the same pace at the same time!"

:smallbiggrin:

Avi235&258
2012-10-11, 04:21 AM
Not so much "never split the party" but "never all be in the same pace at the same time!"

:smallbiggrin:

Or perhaps "Never make the GM's life too easy."

Do I need to roll spot again versus their new hide roll? And are they far enough away that Graorin may consider himself able to continue moving without him seeing him, or are they still watching?

hoverfrog
2012-10-11, 04:28 AM
Or perhaps "Never make the GM's life too easy.":smallbiggrin:

You can see the spear men hiding..or rather you saw them hide so you know exactly where they are. They can see a great big horse standing out in the open.

The hide check was for Devka when he catches up with you. He's only had a conversation in the market and then moved to follow you. I'd say he's no more that twenty minutes behind you.

Delia2531
2012-10-11, 04:58 AM
Or perhaps "Never make the GM's life too easy."

...

Perhaps Ever and Ben should split up at the docks too! :smallwink: or even get in to a totally different fight!:smallbiggrin:

hoverfrog
2012-10-11, 06:27 AM
Ever Barrowfoot and Young Ben are leaving the Dead Man's Rest and returning to the docks where they will find...

Kevst who is still aboard the Ogre's Kiss.

Graorin and Athedru Namecarver are in the sandy wet lands of Bridge.

Devka Thorn is about a mile away from them.

Bula Mistwalker is MIA but if he turns up we'll assume he's on the ship with Kevst.

Vesth
2012-10-11, 09:25 AM
Or perhaps "Never make the GM's life too easy."

Funny story. Normally, when I GM, I make it a point to make my players' lives hard instead. This can range from giving ambiguous remarks and mentioning that I do most of the rolls secretly (i.e. "Can the hawk carry messages?" "You believe that the hawk can carry the message to him.) to giving hints to events that may or may not occur (i.e. giving a single scroll of cure disease to the party, when diseases have never popped out so far) or even create dopplegangers of the party, have one kidnapped or split from the party, have the doppleganger replace him, and watch the kidnapped character's player squirm as he goes through a dreamscape of nightmares or an entire enemy hideout to escape and warn the rest.

Avi235&258
2012-10-11, 10:29 PM
Funny story. Normally, when I GM, I make it a point to make my players' lives hard instead. This can range from giving ambiguous remarks and mentioning that I do most of the rolls secretly (i.e. "Can the hawk carry messages?" "You believe that the hawk can carry the message to him.) to giving hints to events that may or may not occur (i.e. giving a single scroll of cure disease to the party, when diseases have never popped out so far) or even create dopplegangers of the party, have one kidnapped or split from the party, have the doppleganger replace him, and watch the kidnapped character's player squirm as he goes through a dreamscape of nightmares or an entire enemy hideout to escape and warn the rest.

Well, clearly I'm referring to the necessity of the players to exact revenge upon the GM for said torture.

Or, in this case, apparently, revenge in advance.

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 04:35 PM
Ever is often in favor of the simplest solution, and at the moment waiting for the others to return seems simpler than trying to find them on an unfamiliar island. He can be easily swayed, though.

I'm surprised by Kevst's reaction, as I was expecting him to want to go somewhere after sitting on the boat alone for an hour.

Little Ben could do well in smuggling. He should look into getting a ship, riddled with secret compartments. :smallsmile:

And watch out, Ever's hatching a plan.... this could take a while... :smallwink:

(Wow, reading over this post that came out rather stream-of-consciousness...)

OzzyKP
2012-10-12, 06:08 PM
Kevst doesn't mind sitting alone. :)

Heck, now he had two people around him, that's already way more then he is used to.

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 06:19 PM
Can I just say I'm really enjoying the different characters in this game? I think we're playing true to our initial concepts while slowly discovering additional aspects in each character. I'm excited to see how these characters are changed by their adventures together.

Newcomer
2012-10-15, 11:56 AM
Double posting to make sure it's seen sorry.

Hover, you said the tracks were pretty easy to see, so we shouldn't have trouble moving faster, should we? Ever gets a 14 Survival by taking 10.

hoverfrog
2012-10-16, 12:39 AM
It's always a risk but the tracks go west in more or less a straight line.

Vesth
2012-10-17, 06:44 AM
Did Graorin cast the spell? :O

Avi235&258
2012-10-17, 04:26 PM
I'd assume not - though I do have a standing order to do so the moment it comes in range, if it appears hostile.

Delia2531
2012-10-18, 01:58 AM
Hopefully we three can arrive not too late to help out!

Delia2531
2012-10-18, 02:39 AM
Double post (sorry):

@hoverfrog - what did you use to make the map?

hoverfrog
2012-10-18, 03:34 AM
I used maptools. It's a bit rough and ready.

Vesth
2012-10-18, 09:50 AM
I use Maptool as well....but why hexagons and not squares? And isn't it easier if you turn on coordinates and token names? (And export picture, rather than print screen)

hoverfrog
2012-10-18, 10:12 AM
I use Maptool as well....but why hexagons and not squares? And isn't it easier if you turn on coordinates and token names? (And export picture, rather than print screen)Would you prefer squares? I'll have a play with it later and see if I can't get something a bit clearer to use.

Avi235&258
2012-10-19, 03:12 AM
I'm having a little trouble telling exactly who is who in the map - is Val the rightmost member of the four northeastern squares, and Old Claws the leftmost?

Delia2531
2012-10-19, 04:53 AM
Looks like Ben is going to feel super confident shortly as he feels well prepared!:smallcool:

Vesth
2012-10-19, 06:43 AM
It's our turn to attack, right?

I wonder if burning hands will be effective against a giant crab...wait, is he on our team?

Delia2531
2012-10-19, 08:23 AM
I think some of the party know that the giant crab is a worry for the town, but do any of the combatants?

The other halflings were either following you or hunting the crab; probably too hard to tell the difference until they attack something!

hoverfrog
2012-10-19, 08:27 AM
I'm having a little trouble telling exactly who is who in the map - is Val the rightmost member of the four northeastern squares, and Old Claws the leftmost?I'll put up a new map when I get home from work...after I kick the kids off the PCs. Val is the rightmost member of the northwestern group. Graorin, Athedru and Val. I can move the horse further away without too much difficulty as he\she is probably a bit close to where you were moving. Old Claws is on the far left (west). Devka is on the far right, probably six rounds of walking away.

For those who are far away or wish to be you may want to look over the movement rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm).

Newcomer
2012-10-19, 09:04 AM
Looks like Ben is going to feel super confident shortly as he feels well prepared!:smallcool:

:smallbiggrin: I'm always amused when this-roll-doesn't-matter rolls are so good.

Avi235&258
2012-10-19, 09:45 AM
I rolled a double 1? Damn...

hoverfrog
2012-10-19, 10:46 AM
It's our turn to attack, right?Yes indeed. Graorin has acted. Athedru and Devka to act.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-19, 11:01 AM
Devka is on the far right, probably six rounds of walking away.

So The old crab is 180ft away?
I shall be there Shortly!
a question for future combats, would i be able to hold, but not wield, my great axe in my off hand and a dagger in my main? just so i can throw my dagger then ready my great axe quickly

hoverfrog
2012-10-19, 11:26 AM
I don't see why not but if you want to "reload" the dagger it might be an issue.

Newcomer
2012-10-19, 11:49 AM
I'm not letting a blasted crab get it's hands on that horse, i like horses

Haha, this is definitely one of my favorites! :smallbiggrin:

OzzyKP
2012-10-19, 08:32 PM
Heh, I've been sitting on my hands here as Kevst is out of the action the last few days but I have a feeling that Kevst is going to reach the battle at some point this weekend... while I'm away at a wedding. So, FYI, if I don't respond in a timely manner, that's why. Should be back Sunday evening.

Vesth
2012-10-20, 05:47 AM
Do enemies have elemental resistences like in 4e? I know that shooting fire at a water monster is normally a bad idea, but I can't remember if this applies to 3.5e...

hoverfrog
2012-10-20, 12:14 PM
Do enemies have elemental resistences like in 4e? I know that shooting fire at a water monster is normally a bad idea, but I can't remember if this applies to 3.5e...Some creatures have resistances. Fire elementals, demons and devils are generally resistance to fire, undead to cold, etc. An animal, even a giant one probably won't have much in the way of energy resistance. You can make a knowledge nature check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm) to see if you've ever heard or read anything about giant crabs and resistances.

Vesth
2012-10-20, 11:10 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that I had natural 20....

It's uhh...damage x2? (Is it max damage, then x2, or just x2?)

hoverfrog
2012-10-21, 07:33 AM
Oh, I didn't realize that I had natural 20....

It's uhh...damage x2? (Is it max damage, then x2, or just x2?)You need to roll to confirm the critical. If it "hits" then you double the damage otherwise it's just 1 damage.

Vesth
2012-10-21, 06:52 PM
Welp, roll: [roll0]

But double of 1 damage is 2 damage. That's like a critical glancing blow :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-10-21, 07:19 PM
By RAW when you double for a critical, you roll any dice again. So instead of 2*1d6 damage, it becomes 2d6 damage. However, I understand that on the forums, what with extra rolls and double posts, people sometimes just double the original damage result. Whatever hover says goes. I just wanted to help you understand the written rules because.. well I guess because if I were in your shoes I'd want to know the rules right even if I knew we were ignoring them. That and I'd probably take off your shoes and apologize for the confusion. [/lamejoke]

hoverfrog
2012-10-22, 01:16 AM
By RAW when you double for a critical, you roll any dice again. So instead of 2*1d6 damage, it becomes 2d6 damage. However, I understand that on the forums, what with extra rolls and double posts, people sometimes just double the original damage result. Whatever hover says goes. I just wanted to help you understand the written rules because.. well I guess because if I were in your shoes I'd want to know the rules right even if I knew we were ignoring them. That and I'd probably take off your shoes and apologize for the confusion. [/lamejoke]This.

If you forget to roll damage we'll just double it but if you roll we'll use that.

Avi235&258
2012-10-22, 05:01 AM
I agree with needing to roll again. Just doubling it means that every critical hit gives an even number of damage, which is a little weird to me.

Delia2531
2012-10-22, 05:18 AM
Rather than require additional post shall we put a spoiler with a second attack roll and any additional damage dice on any post with an attack roll?

E.g.
Ben releases a stone from his sling
to hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
crit dice:
hit - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]

hoverfrog
2012-10-22, 06:45 AM
Rather than require additional post shall we put a spoiler with a second attack roll and any additional damage dice on any post with an attack roll?

E.g.
Ben releases a stone from his sling
to hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
crit dice:
hit - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3]


Looks fine to me though you don't really need the second spoiler.

Delia2531
2012-10-22, 08:52 AM
One spoiler it is then!

Don't forget to double up for every attack roll folks!

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 07:04 AM
Just a reminder about who is carrying what equipment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14005640&postcount=155).

Delia2531
2012-10-23, 11:01 AM
Are we close enough to see/hear the conflict yet? Perhaps see the raven?

hoverfrog
2012-10-23, 11:10 AM
Are we close enough to see/hear the conflict yet? Perhaps see the raven?Unfortunately you'll arrive well after it finishes.

Delia2531
2012-10-23, 11:12 AM
Oh well, hope it ends well then!

Newcomer
2012-10-23, 11:35 AM
Go Devka!

You can aid another on heal checks to stabilize a dying character! Ever has a potion when he arrives (not counting the one from the loot, which I wasn't sure if we divided up yet).

OzzyKP
2012-10-23, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately you'll arrive well after it finishes.

Darn. :(


Go Devka!

You can aid another on heal checks to stabilize a dying character! Ever has a potion when he arrives (not counting the one from the loot, which I wasn't sure if we divided up yet).

Well Kevst is lugging around whatever loot hasn't been taken yet. So its all with us.

Avi235&258
2012-10-23, 01:16 PM
How am I at -5 if I got 20 damage? I only have 10 hitpoints.

Not that I want Graorin to die, but... :p

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-23, 02:23 PM
Go Devka!

You can aid another on heal checks to stabilize a dying character!

I knew brute force and pure rage wouldn't let me down!

And that could be handy, is it a plus +2?

random maths scriblings
if Athedru succeeds on aiding me then we increase our odds by 10%, my wisdom is an extra 10%. we alreadly have a 30% chance of succeeding, in total that is a 50% chance per turn of stabilizing graorin (not including the fact that Athedru has to make checks to aid me) he, himself, has 10%, he is currently on minus 6 i believe (unless he's already dead.....). meaning that we have 4 chances and he has 4 chances. so the chance that he dies is 0.5x0.5x0.5x0.5x0.9x0.9x0.9x0.9 which gives us 0.04something, so graorin only has 4% chance of death!

Newcomer
2012-10-23, 02:48 PM
I knew brute force and pure rage wouldn't let me down!

And that could be handy, is it a plus +2?

DC 10 for + 2. If one of the spearmen is a good healer, you may have more help.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-23, 03:17 PM
I thought there was a limit of one aid other per check?

Newcomer
2012-10-23, 03:38 PM
Maybe? I meant help as in one of them might have a better chance as the healer.

Vesth
2012-10-23, 08:34 PM
Can I do a heal check too? :O

hoverfrog
2012-10-24, 01:03 AM
My getting the hit points wrong was a mistake but I'm going to stick with it now that I've made it. Does anyone have any great objections to the occasional fudging?

Anyone can make a heal check if they are next to someone and taking no other actions. Alternatively you can Aid Another to boost the chances of someone else succeeding. Someone, somewhere has probably gone to the effort of calculating which has the greatest probability of success.

BTW when you distributed the equipment or were discussing the distribution of it (see comments above), one option was for a fighter type (Devka?) to carry a potion of cure light wounds. I'm not sure if that was ever agreed or finalised but that's the last discussion that was going on about the stuff you had.

Dancing Shadows
2012-10-24, 10:23 AM
I have some objections to fudging, i dislike it when DM's fudge to save what's ment to be a recurring villan, or a player for that matter, but less serious effects are okay with me i guess. and any mistakes, like accidently miscalculating grairons hp, are fine.


Someone, somewhere has probably gone to the effort of calculating which has the greatest probability of success.
Damm, now you've thrown down the guantlet
given one chance to stablize using my +2 and athedru's -1. so say we each took a turn to try to stabilize him indivudally, i've got 40% of succees and athedru's got 25%, giving us a 45% percent chance of faliure. but if athedru tried to help me then he's got a 50% chance of giving me an extra 10% chance of success. so i've got 45% chance of success, so, unless my math's is wrong, it's better to do it indivudally

Avi235&258
2012-10-24, 10:43 AM
I mostly agree. If it's time for my character to die, it's time for him to die. I don't mind the occasional slip but as long as it's not too

Anyway, a bigger concern right now is whether Graorin will be inclined to do anything at all to help the halflings now. They almost got him killed.

OzzyKP
2012-10-24, 10:46 AM
If Graorin dies perhaps Avi could take over one of those halflings with the spears who could join us.

Avi235&258
2012-10-24, 04:36 PM
With an NPC class? No thanks :p

hoverfrog
2012-10-25, 04:41 AM
The two spearmen are working on the halfling to keep him alive

Round 1
Stabilise [roll0] HP -6
Aid another [roll1]
Untrained Heal check [roll2] DC15

Round 2
Stabilise [roll3] HP -7
Aid another [roll4]
Untrained Heal check [roll5] DC15


Round 3
Stabilise [roll6] HP -8
Aid another [roll7] DC10 for a +2
Untrained Heal check [roll8] DC15

Round 4
Stabilise [roll9] HP -9
Aid another [roll10] DC10 for a +2
Untrained Heal check [roll11] DC15

Round 5
Stabilise [roll12] HP -10
Aid another [roll13] DC10 for a +2
Untrained Heal check [roll14] DC15

Saved at the point of death before he slipped from -9 to -10. Unfortunately this means that the halflings cannot do anything to help Graorin.

Any objections if I just roll the same for Graorin or do you want to tempt the dice gods yourself?

Vesth
2012-10-25, 06:41 AM
I think it'll take too long for us to roll ourselves. Just roll it for us :smallsmile:

I think we'll follow dancing_shadows's suggestion that we both do heal checks...