PDA

View Full Version : A Spiral of Shadow and Light, Part 3 [IC]

Kyeudo
2012-09-07, 01:06 PM
The sun rises, a new day just begining. Above the city of Nexus, Obsidian Wings comes to the end of a long journey. Soaring above the City of Black Snow, he contemplates how best to find his mentor in the city below. The summons had mentioned only the deathknights and the new shadowland, a feature that the young Lunar can see cutting across the city's poorer district like a scar.

Below, at the back of a cluttered warehouse, a celestial gateway opens and a Sidereal steps out into the city. While fate was never quite stable in the City of a Thousand Lice, what with the wyld zone and the abundance of supernatural goods and beings that pass through the city, recently fate has been more erratic than ever, aggravated by the addition of a shadowland to the city's geomancy. A Sidereal agent was dispatched to discover the cause little more than a week ago, but nothing has been heard from her since and things have gotten even stranger in the city. Annualar Arrangement has been dispatched to figure out what is going on in the city and restore the city's destiny to a more predictable course.

Farther away, at one of the many gates, an old monk pays his entrance tax on his way into the city. A week ago, the god of Matashi manifested inside his hut during his morning meditation. The god, looking much like a young village boy, had an unusual request for the old man. "I've got important news from the gods of the villages nearby. Not all of the villagers were killed in the raids. Many were taken prisoner, though the other gods could not say where they have been taken. I need you to find Wince and his friends. If they are to be able to do something about what is going on, they must be told."

A hundred miles away, a vicious battle has just concluded. Men and horses lay dead dying all around, their screams and moans quieting the normal sounds of the forest. The Marukani horsemen who survived the battle tend to the wounded, bandaging friend and putting down foe. In a clearing that was not there before, scorched, blackened, and bloody from the fighting, five Exalts stand alone for the moment. Alanadel, between labored breaths, asks the important question. "What now?"

Ridai
2012-09-07, 02:06 PM
The light has faded from Blood Stains The Stones' eyes, her body mangled, slashed and bloodied. Wet squishing and ripping sounds creep into the ears of those nearby. Red has killed her first Abyssal. Red is consuming her first Abyssal. It feels good. Though there is a sense of victory and maybe even a certain kind of arousal, they are shades of what she might have felt as a mortal. They feel washed out, unneeded. But there is still satisfaction to have crushed her enemies. Blood's essence makes a lot of things about Red's own condition clearer. The renegade had not questioned why she felt the urge to feed on her enemies. She just did. Eventually, the dead Abyssal's body is cast aside, throat torn apart, and moves on to those of her enemies that still cling to life, working to restore her power.

"They're dead. We gather what information they have, aid our wounded and go back to Nexus," Red says, wiping her bloodied, coldly beautiful face, only creating long smears. She is covered in blood all over and a lot of the surrounding carnage has been caused by her. She never was one who was afraid to get her hands dirty. The Ruinous Siren loves her for it, delirious from her feast, uncaring she was used to cut down a Deathlord's servants.

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-07, 03:15 PM
Wing

100 yards out from the edge of the Shadowland, a raven swooped down into an empty alleyway, exploding in a flurry of glossy black feathers which dispersed and disappeared, leaving behind a tall, well-tanned Haltan man in it's wake.

Wing could feel the pulse of all the life within the city. He had secluded himself for a long time, and walked the Eastern wilds since then. He hadn't been in a city like this since he left the Isle, and the multitude of new creatures to study and hunt; both mystical and mundane was exhilarating.

But first things first. He silently instructed the creature that encased his skin to "keep an eye out" for danger or a member of The Wolfpack, with a reminder that if it was detected he would spend the next 13 months giving it bones just so that he could break them in new and exciting ways.

Satisfied that his compatriot understood him, Wing began his search for the three Lunars by jabbing his closed eyes sharply with his fingers, his pupils adjusting to become cat-like slits, before stepping out of the alley and walking in the direction of the overcast region to his east.

Shapeshift [false form - human male]: 3m personal (plus stunt attempt to gain some motes back)

Knack: Hybrid Body Rearrangement [Enhanced (Sight)]: 1m personal (plus stunt attempt to gain some motes back)

Perception + Awareness for Wing: [roll0] = 5 successes
Perception + Survival (inc. Tracking Speciality) for Wing: [roll1] = 6 successes

Perception + Awareness for Zam the Perronele: [roll2] = 2 successes (+[roll3] for Incoming Physical Attacks Speciality)

---
Essence before stunts (if any):
Personal: 15/19
Peripheral: 36/44 (Attuned: 8)

The Blue Guard
2012-09-07, 05:03 PM
Jania

"Red." Jania said softly but firmly. As calm as the Sidereal looked she had never fought any kind of Exalted before - let alone a Deathknight - and the the encounter had rattled her. It didn't help that Raluca had caused most of the nearby devastation and had just thrown aside her enemies body like a broken toy after draining it of blood - but Jania didn't let that show. "Maybe you should go and get yourself clean while we tend to the wounded?" Leaning on her staff Jania summoned up a look of concern. "If you need a hand, I wouldn't mind - I'm not much of a healer anyway." Somewhere inside Jania's mind a small part of her was screaming, 'She just got done butchering and eating a person and you want to help her bath?' Thankfully that part was ignored and instead Jania concentrated on the woman in front of her.

Ridai
2012-09-08, 04:51 AM
Red listens silently. She can see and smell the fear of the Marukani as they try to avoid looking at the Abyssal. And the unease of her Exalted allies. Standing covered in Marukani and deathknight blood, Red nods. The troops' morale suffers with her looking like this. "Come. We'll be back shortly." Her voice is even, lacking the playfulness from before and the itching discontent from their journey. Red heads towards the nearest source of water, nonchalantly executing a dying enemy Marukani as she passes and throws the dripping blood of the Siren with a quick flourish, the blade sucking what is left on it into itself greedily.

Red doesn't really care for privacy, but not being seen by the troops is probably advantageous.

Cespenar
2012-09-08, 03:56 PM
Arda

The monk sighed.

Having just cleared the gate into the city, Arda had no idea where to find Wince and the other Exalts. Still, panicking was a foreign word the old man. Closing his eyes for a second, he tried to recall.

Wince was originally from Nexus, he remembers. And he apparently was renowned here as a... trader? Something like that, more or less.

Shrugging, he set off to the city's markets, going from stall to stall to ask about whether someone knows or has seen Wince at all. Desperate though it might look, it was better than nothing. Also, failing that, the old monk had the idea that the Exalted would crop up the moment there was a trouble brewing. He just had to keep his eyes open.

The Blue Guard
2012-09-09, 02:13 PM
Jania

As Jania follows behind her unease begins to drop as physical distance from the now-dead deathknight allowed her to gain an emotional one. What now held her attention was the way Red had changed and was changing. It made sense to Jania that it was like the changes that a shadowland brought to Creation, and from what she'd seen of Nexus' own little portal into the Underworld she wasn't thrilled to find out the long-term effects on Red. "I don't know if it's my place to say this, but I'm worried about you." If life retarded the spread of shadowlands then maybe life would help prevent Red from becoming what she had just slain. "As a friend, maybe?" Jania cocked her head to one side and gave an encouraging smile. "It's all well and good doing what you're meant to do, or at least what you think you're meant to do, but even gods need to take a break once a year. We've got the whole trip back to Nexus to do something fun and utterly unrelated to our mission." Putting her hands up Jania gave a guilty little smile. "You can't exactly act as shameless as I do when I blow off steam, what with people actually remembering who dropped the noodles on the king's head. Or stole his clothes while he wasn't looking. But you can still do something fun. Just not that fun."

Ridai
2012-09-09, 03:01 PM
"Killing them was fun. More than most things, in hindsight." Red looks over her shoulder. "And the itch won't go away outside a shadowland." Her steps carry Red ever closer to her destination all the while, not stopping, not slowing down. Deep-red eyes are directed forward again. "I'll settle for a bath today. What do you mean by 'people actually remembering' though?"

industrious
2012-09-09, 05:10 PM
Annular Arrangement

The best people to get information from were the ones nobody paid attention to.
The destitute, and the servant were politely ignored and thus could, for the right price and given the right individual, tell far more about which way the wind was blowing than the well-to-do.

Annular Arrangement walks the slums of Nexus, and listens to the ramblings of half-crazed and half-starved men.

I have Connections 2 in Nexus, and this would be...Charisma+Investigation? I'm assuming my specialty applies here. [roll0]

The Blue Guard
2012-09-09, 05:38 PM
Jania

A moment of silence and a look of concentration follows as Jania tries to think of how to explain it without saying, 'Oh, and I'm a Sidereal so you might not want to trust me, like, at all.' "You've noticed how I tend to fade into the background, right? It's to do with that." A slight expression of pain as she remembers her first experience with Arcane Fate. "I'm also very forgettable. It's... not the most pleasant thing until you get used to it." Then she perked up. "If you can learn to get used to it though it's very useful."

"But this wasn't meant to be about me!" As if to reinforce that she grabs hold of Red's shoulders and starts egging her to the water with her hands. "Very sneaky changing the topic. Tsk, tsk. I'll have to keep an eye on you. Maybe two!"

Trotting along behind Red the Sidereal started talking from where she would have if Red hadn't caught her little slip about the effects of her Arcane Fate. "You need more in your life than your job. I love doing my job, for example. I get to see and meet interesting beings like yourself, enjoy all the scenery I can stand, and I get to live in the best city ever. I'm also a firm believer that hard work makes righteous results, but even I understand that taking time to enjoy a wide range of things is important to keeping me happy and productive." Jania got in close and whispered into Red's ear conspiratorially. "For example, I'm a gardener." Then she leaned back. "I haven't had much time for the practical side of things but I'm learning quite a bit about the theory side. I haven't quite decided where my first project is going to be though. I'm sure something will come up though."

Ridai
2012-09-10, 04:41 AM
Red "mhm"s at Jania's explanation, simply accepting the raw information of her slipping from people's minds. "Guess you're the fifth kind of Exalted I've seen so far." The Abyssal shrugs, only spending a short moment to wonder how many more are out there.

Red listens attentively, though there is little in the way of a change on her cold, bloodsmeared features. "Never had a head for things like that. No time to relax when you're being worked like an animal, sent to cripple competitors or fleeing for your life." Looking back, the concerns of yesterday seem very far away, almost irrelevant. Or even humorous. Reaching a clear lake surrounded by several yards of grass and a dense line of trees, she adds "Something I can fix right now."

Finding a sizeable rock at the edge of a deeper part of the lake, Red rams the moonsilver-sheathed Siren into it and hangs her sling bag around it, getting partially overlapped and secured by the moonsilver. The breastplate follows (soreness in her chest telling Red that she still needs to make adjustments, as the armor is a tight fit for her), as do her blood-drenched clothes when she nonchalantly strips down and piles them next to her other belongings on the rock. Enjoying the cool air on her skin, Red steps onto the tip of the rock. "I'll go test the waters." With a big leap, the Abyssal almost glides into the middle of the lake, red stains floating on the surface as the blood is washed off of her.

Howeve, she doesn't surface for a whole minute, the waters becoming still again. Closer inspection shows no signs of Red. Until she comes bursting out of the water right in front of the rock, grabs Jania midair and uses the stone to hurl both herself and Jania backwards into the cool lake.

"I think the water's pretty nice," Red comments in a deadpan manner as both surface again, a hint of a mischievous smile and look in her eyes.

The Blue Guard
2012-09-10, 03:45 PM
Jania

As Jania surfaced she sputtered and coughed as the impromptu experiment with breathing underwater went predictably poorly. Unbowed by the 'attempted drowning' she laughed, loudly, after a good, deep breath. "Red!" She bemoaned. "I'm not the one that needed a bath!" Then she laughed again before settling down and instead merely smiling. Her master probably wouldn't approve of her methods, but Jania felt sure that she didn't care what Unrepentant Jade would approve of - at least until they were standing face-to-face. "Oh, gods, I think that might be it for these clothes." It was quite true, and was a point that was made by the now transparent silk of her short-sleeved tunic and trousers. The orange sash, a compliment to the yellow silk of the tunic and trousers, floated a few feet away along with one of her shoes. She didn't mind it though. She was sure that the tailor she'd acquired it from a few years ago would mind if she could remember the encounter, but Jania didn't.

"I needed new clothes anyway." She said, waving it off as she swam to the shore. "They’ll do until we reach Nexus again though, at least once they’ve dried." The tunic, trousers, sash and shoes were now laid out on a few rocks where they could dry in the morning sun. "What could I possibly do while I wait for my clothes to dry?" By the rather wicked grin in her eye she already had something in mind. "Naturally you'll stay and keep me company while I wait." An entirely reasonable thought punctuated by a sudden spray of water aimed in Red's direction. "I know!" She shouted before sending more sprays in Red's direction. "Fear my power over water!"

Ridai
2012-09-11, 11:59 AM
"What can I say, I like to share nice things," Red teases, joining Jania in laughter. After swimming to the shore, Red starts washing her clothes and lays them out to dry on the rocks.

"If we have the time, why not have a girls night out on the town when we're back? Get some new threads, hot bath, drinks, massages. We could bring Gao Shu, too. Ideal places to murder people, but that only adds to the experience." The idea of kicking back once in a while certainly begins to grow on Red. As she sees the mischievous glint in Jania's eyes, Red is intrigued to find out what would come next, only to get blindsided by a splash of water. And another. The pale woman grins widely and fiercely.

"Challenge accepted." The Abyssal sends bigger and faster splashes right back, thanks to her strength and swiftness, laughing all the while. Talking about inconsequential things, indulging herself and enjoying herself while acting like little girls playing in the water right after having slaughtered a small army and two deathknights. It's completely inappropiate, dumb, messed up. And it definitely feels damn good.

Yes, she could get used to how things are nowadays.

Kyeudo
2012-09-13, 01:31 AM
Obsidian Wings strolls through the strangely bustling crowds in and around the shadowland, unremarked. Within Death Row, mortals and the dead alike hawk their wares to passersby. Prayers, sacrifices, fresh blood, and moliation services are bought and sold alongside soulfire crystals, soulsteel, underworld jade, grave goods, fresh food, and companionship. The street has a strange quality to it, as the shades of the dead pop in and out of view as they pass through patches of shadow. After about an hour of investigating the shadowland, you spot what most would take for a set of fresh, deep scratches in the plaster on the side of a building, but you see them for what they really are: a message in claw-speak. It reads: Wings, meet us in the third house on Ramshackle Street in Nighthammer District. Nightsky.

Across the city, Annular Arangement digs into a mountain of news, rumors, and hearsay. The shadowland opened about two weeks ago, turning Riverlane into the center of a new trade in Underworld goods. Hauntings have, of course, picked up, sending the fees for Sijanese exorcists skyrocketting. A week ago, a peddler claims to have seen poltergeists, rats, and bubbles of darkness chase a Terrestrial across half of Nexus district. News of Marukani raiders murdering outlying villages still has some people worried that the city might fall under siege, driving prices on food and weapons up and causing more than a few people to leave up- and down-river towards Lookshy and Great Forks. A beggar swears he's seen swarms of rats mug a man for a head of cabbage and another says he saw four men walk into and back out of the Wyld zone at the heart of Firewander unscathed.

Somewhere between the two, Arda finds his search for Wince not turning up much in the way of leads. No one seems to remember having seen Wince. A few point the old monk towards someone who looks similar, but that is as close as he comes after a few hours of searching.

Miles away, Wince and Jian are overseeing the Marukani as they make clean up after the battle. The wounded are being seen to as best they can, the dead are being buried, and frightened horses are being rounded up. Wince turns to the Lunar. "Perhaps we should head back to that logging camp to spend the night and head for Nexus tommorow. There's not much time left in the day anyway. What do you think?"

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-17, 03:07 PM
Wing

As he walks down the street Wing rolls a small iron disc across the tops of his fingers; a warding talisman against the undead. Those ghosts he passes shoot him a variety of looks ranging from mild offence to disgust, but none take it further than that.

Identifying the markings he heads to the building. However despite his haste, he does take the time to offer a second talisman to a nervous-looking shopper who had been shooed away from a stall without a purchase, at a discount since he was in a good mood for having found the markings.

Either way, once concluded he will head for the building.

Offering a created 1 dot Undead Warding Talisman, if such an NPC can be accommodated. Because undercutting businesses in a trade-hub is always fun.

Kyeudo
2012-09-17, 06:30 PM
One very satisfied customer later, you make your way out of the shadowland and into the slums of Nighthammer. Finding Ramshackle Street proves to be the hardest part of reaching your destination. Nexus never did have anything like building ordinances or zoning laws, so streets run anywhich way they like, many intersections lacking signs of any sort to tell you which street is which. After finally locating the right street, a short, narrow crosscut between two more major roadways, you enter the building that your mentor's message directed you to.

The place is what is left of a short block of apartments that was gutted by fire not too long ago. The roof is entirely gone, along with large chunks of the second floor. The outer walls, made of old brick, are still mostly intact, as are the stairs to the upper level. From what you can see, squatters have moved in to occupy parts of the first floor, using what is left of the first floor's walls as partitions between sleeping spaces. Most of the residents are gone, probably off trying to scrouge out a living, but a few glance at you as you enter. You don't recognize any of their faces, nor see your mentor's tell in any of their eyes, so you end up making your way upstairs while you wait for your mentor's arrival.

The upper level is a rickety, creaking mess, but still sustains your weight. Through the missing sections of the floor and the gaps between charred boards, you can see much of what goes on below, including who comes and goes. About a half hour passes before a hawk soars over the building and dives down to land in the more intact part of the second floor. The hawk stretches, ruffled feathers turning into loose robes, and becomes Nightsky. "Glad to see you finally made it to Nexus. Thank you for coming."

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-20, 04:52 PM
Wing

The Lunar offers a respectful nod as the the robed man appears before him.

"Not at all. From what I read in the Manse library, with all the excitement happening here I probably would have ended up coming anyway. It seems our kind are drawn to the dramatic."

Wing at this point casts his eye around, just in case anyone was obviously listening in.

"Your message said you had taken up with another Silverborn. To what end, might I ask?"

Kyeudo
2012-09-22, 03:36 AM
Nightsky sighs. "There appears to be a deathknight hiding himself among the powerful of Nexus, advocating for war. My pack has been trying to narrow down which of the many merchants he could be."

"The Lunar you speak of is a man named Jian. He and his allies are currently out of the city, hunting another deathknight who is ravaging villages as the provocation for the war."

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-25, 12:31 PM
Wing

"War. Of course, what else would it be. You'd think the dead would have better things to do with eternity than obsess over swelling their ranks. It's a little sad really."

As Wing shakes his head condescendingly a pigeon flutters into the wrecked building, and following Nightsky's example sheds their feathers and beak for a human form.

"I thought you should know, there's an old man from Matashi walking the streets asking after a fellow named Wince; I feel safe in presuming it is the same one that was aiding Humble Jian. He's currently on the Ivory Road, and doesn't appear to share our 'advantages'."

"Well that's convenient. I'll go and make sure he doesn't get killed talking to the wrong person before the others return. Is there anywhere in the city you'd recommend going, or staying away from?"

Regardless of Nightsky's answer, Wing will leave with a respectful nod to the pair and head out to intercept the man. When he finds Arda he'll approach from the front, hands apart to show he's not armed, and greet him with politely.

"Afternoon, you're the man who's lost his Wince, yes?"

Cespenar
2012-09-26, 02:46 PM
Arda meets the man's approach with a raised eyebrow but nothing more skeptic. After all, he was throwing the name around a lot. He nods once.

"Yes. And you are?"

Kobold-Bard
2012-09-26, 04:05 PM
Wing

"I'm a friend of a friend of a friend; the latest recruit roped in to assist your gilded friend in his business ventures here in Nexus."

The 'gilded' comment is obviously in reference to Wince's Solar nature, and is spoken with a slight nod as silver flashes across Wing's eyes for a heartbeat.

"Come, we can talk more somewhere quieter."

Still rolling his talisman across his fingers, if Arda agrees Wing will aim for an active, but not packed bar he passed, near to Nightsky's location.

Kyeudo
2012-10-07, 08:51 PM
Jian leans against a tree, watching as the men get ready to move again. "It sounds about as good a plan as any. Perhaps we should see what Raluca and Jania think when they get back."

Sorry about the delay. The forum apparently ate this post the first time I made it and I didn't notice.

Cespenar
2012-10-08, 12:04 AM
Arda takes note of the Lunar's hint and proof, and begins to follow him wordlessly. He didn't fear a trap, because he wasn't worth a trap. Not yet, at least.

Ridai
2012-10-08, 11:09 AM
Once both women are done playing and are dressed again, Red stretches for a moment. "Let's see what the boys are up to," she says, her voice even again and not much of an expression on her face past a faint smile as she regards Jania. "Keep my offer in mind," is added as a playful whisper, tempting. With her usual quick steps, Red goes back to the camp.

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-11, 12:06 PM
Wing

Wing will respect the Monk's stoic silence while they walk to his watering hole of choice; a lower-middle class sort of place with a Seatongue name, roughly translating to The Everful Cup.

Once inside Wing acquires a wallside table and goes to claim a pair of drinks; his a green liqueur in a thin, tubelike glass.

Satisfied that the moderate noise will be sufficient, Wing turns to the other man.

"So, what brings you such a long way from Matashi? It's quite a distance for a man of your age to travel just to catch up with an old friend."

Cespenar
2012-10-12, 01:43 AM
Arda glances at the drink, but hardly ever touches it. A faint grin touches his face at the phrase 'a man of your age', though.

"I need them to save the villagers taken away in the raids," he says quite directly, in a matter-of-fact tone. He assumes the Lunar knows of the raids in the first place.

He pauses for a second. "Are you an ally of them, or simply a curious acquaintance?"

Kyeudo
2012-10-15, 12:46 AM
As Raluca and Jania return to the group, they find the Marukani ready to ride again. "There you two are. You're looking much better." Wince avoids looking at the shallow grave where the body of Blood Stains the Stones now lies.

"We were just discussing whether we should push on for Nexus with what remains of the day or if we should head back to the logger's village for the night."

Ridai
2012-10-15, 12:02 PM
The corner of Red's mouth rises at Wince's comment before turning to the matter at hand. "It was a hard battle and a long day. Rest up, so we can head back fully aware is my take on it."

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-15, 12:27 PM
Wing

"Technically speaking, I'm neither at the moment. Like I said, I'm a friend of a friend of a friend; another ally of their's requested my assistance. It seems there's some dead men here looking to take advantage of the new Shadowland to cause some mischief. Problem is that their definition of mischief is somewhat more aggressive to mine or yours."

Wing drains his diminutive glass.

"You really should try it, it's delicious. But anyway, about these lost souls, when were they taken? Do you know where? If they ended up in the Realm as slaves, chances are they'll have a better life than they did in whatever village they came from. The Empire may be corrupt and incompetent, but it made sure none suffered needlessly on the Isle.

The Blue Guard
2012-10-15, 02:12 PM
Jania

Jania bit her lip at that invitation. It shouldn't have intrigued her but it did. There was still work to do though, so she buried the feeling for now under a heavy pile of duty.

"I'd prefer being back in an actual city again."

Ridai
2012-10-15, 03:09 PM
Red shrugs. "I'm fine either way, your call."

Cespenar
2012-10-16, 12:39 AM
The monk takes a sip from his drink if only to please the Lunar, and shrugs, his face noncommittal.

"I don't know where they are taken, but I spent a long time in such a village, and people there live good lives." He stops there, however, and seemingly won't go into an argument of civilized versus simple life.

He pauses for a moment long enough to make one feel awkward in a conversation.

"But I think our problems are not necessarily disconnected," he speaks at last. "I have fought with a dead man in one of these raids, and it was only due to Wince and his friends that I survived."

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-20, 02:02 PM
Wing

The Lunar silently offered gratitude to Luna for this more promising news, then just as silently questioned that gratitude. He had become enamoured with the lore of the Incarnae he had read in the Electrum Archive as he knew Luna had touched him as he had exalted, but his whole life he had accepted the Immaculate Faith which specifically prohibited the direct worship of spirits other than the Elemental Dragons.

The stark contrast between him as he sat now and him a year ago was almost farcical, and that though led him briefly to wonder if his desire to reunite with his family was itself a farce. But he dismissed the thought just as quickly; his companion could drop dead at any moment, now was not the time for such philosophy.

"Well now, that is an interesting connection. With respect, villages like yours aren't generally high priority targets, meaning raiders could usually be left to their own devices if all they sought was strife to stoke the calls for war. For an Officer of Death to be present personally, there must have been something specific he was after in your village.

Do you have any ideas what that might have been? Was it known locally that individuals or artefacts of such worthy power resided there?"

The Blue Guard
2012-10-20, 04:46 PM
Jania

The divine agent's lips curl into a smile. "Very decisive," she playfully mocks. "To the city it is!"

Ridai
2012-10-20, 05:17 PM
"Good deed for the day." Red dryly adds, though Jania can see the corner of her mouth rise just a little. To the city it is. Honestly, throwing care to the wind simply feels better. She herself needs no rest, so the others will have to buckle up.

Tavar
2012-10-22, 10:25 PM
The Road to the City

You cover a moderate amount of distance with the daylight still available, though several ships pass you by, sped by the river's currents. As you continue on, the terrain transforms to low-lying fields with a somewhat elaborate irrigation network.

Oddly, despite the fact that the rice in the fields should have many hands tending it, no slaves or peasants are working. In fact, there don't even seem to be any animals living in the area.

You can make out a town nearby, with what looks to be some sort of pier: probably some kind of stopping point for riverboats. You might even be able to catch a ride there. More immediately, you can see several riders racing down the path, at least one firing his bow at a mob slowly chasing them.

Perception+Awareness to notice more details about the riders, mob, or terrain.

Ridai
2012-10-23, 12:18 AM
Leaning on the boat's rail, Red lets her gaze wander lazily across the scenery, doing her best to stave off boredom and agitation. She's becoming better at it, at least. Looking forward to spending a night out with Gao Shu and Jania certainly helps, though. Registering the riders and mob, the contained violence naturally piques her interest, but still gets barely a reaction, instead trying to see what is going on before making up her mind.

[roll0] to see more about the riders and mob

Cespenar
2012-10-23, 01:00 AM
The old man looks blankly into far away as he tries to recollect his memories, or at least as far away as the inn's walls can allow. "The dead men were more than one, and they led the attacks on the villages themselves. Some of them massacred people to create panic, and others recruited whole villages into their service using this fear. There was even one that was supposed to work in Nexus, I think."

"So, no. It wasn't about powerful individuals or artefacts."

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-25, 12:27 PM
Wing

"Leading the raids personally seems fairly inefficient to me, mortals can inspire fear in their own kind just fine. But then again I'm not responsible for inciting an unholy war in Creation, so what do I know.

Either way, I'm sure Wince & Jian will have more information. I'll speak to your friend's friend and have him contact them to find out when they will be back in the city. I can then inform you later this evening."

Cespenar
2012-10-25, 01:09 PM
"I would be most grateful," Arda says, nodding. He takes another sip from the weird green drink, but it seems to be done in mostly courtesy.

The Blue Guard
2012-10-25, 05:58 PM
Jania

The look of the events that were heading toward them all was not good. It looked interesting. Excessively interesting. Relaxing her grip on the present and letting her awareness spill into the future she hoped she would see any more surprises before they happen.

Perceptions + Awareness: [roll0]

Activating Prior Warning

Tavar
2012-10-25, 09:03 PM
Jania and Red

The Rider's look hard pressed, fighting several smaller figures running along side them, though splashes and dust makes it difficult to get a good look at them. The Riders are certainly afraid, though.

The crowd is much easier to observe, with what looks like 10 or so people and large animals, all with vines and flowers woven around them. The humans all look upset, and occasionally one of them throws something, though you can't see any weapons among the group.

Still waiting on if there is a boat.

Jania, roll Prior Warning.

Ridai
2012-10-26, 10:57 AM
Seeing the vines growing around those on foot, Red grows more interested in the going-ons, standing up straight. "Know something about the plants?" she asks, motioning towards the peasants with her head once. Jania did say they should do something fun on the way back. Here's event number one.

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-30, 01:49 PM
Wing

"Then I will see you later. This place has some decent accommodations, I'd recommend staying here. And keep your head down, I doubt we were the only ones who heard you asking after the golden boy."

With a polite nod of the head Wing leaves a few silver coins on the table and departs.

Returning to Nightsky's "nest" Wing offers a small bow again before speaking.

"The mortal is here looking to enlist Wince to reclaim some peasants taken in the recent raids. I told him you'd be able to contact Jian and the others to find out when they're expected back in the city and I'd inform him. Really boring bugger he is."

The Blue Guard
2012-11-03, 12:25 AM
Jania

"Festive decorations," she said with confidence. "Or deadly parasites." She said with equal confidence. "It could go either way at this point."

Ridai
2012-11-03, 04:36 AM
"Then let's join the festivities." Red quips before making her way over to the mob, Siren drawn and battle ready.

Activate Eye of the Tempest for the scene

Personal: 15/20
Peripheral: 37/46 (9 committed)
WP: 7/8

The Blue Guard
2012-11-03, 08:39 AM
Jania

The agents rolls her eyes at the joke as she follows behind Red.

Personal: 7/15 (0 Committed)
Peripheral: 35/37 (2 Committed)
Willpower: 9/9

Kyeudo
2012-11-11, 03:31 PM
Wings

"Well, then. With that taken care of, perhaps it is best to pickup where we left off. Scent of War, Eyes in Shadow, and I have been trying to figure out who is our hidden Abyssal."

Kobold-Bard
2012-11-18, 08:42 AM
Wing

"Do any key suspects present themselves? I know nothing of the city, nor it's inhabitants so I suppose I won't be much use in that regard just yet."

Tavar
2012-11-18, 04:40 PM
One of the horses is brought down, the rider managing a dismount, before he is surrounded. The Mob hides what happens, but when it clears, you don't see the rider or his horse. On the possibly bright side, the mob does pull back as it sees you, and the Riders seem to relax.

One, wearing an old but well kept suit of lamellar, likely signifying he is some sort of local bandit or town guardman, approaches you.

"Well met, strangers, and thank you for making those things pull back. We were trying to get out, to get help, but they were hiding in the fields."

The Blue Guard
2012-11-19, 12:06 AM
Jania, That Dangerous Road

"Thank you," Jania says with a slightly uncomfortable smile. "But we really didn't do anything apart from be here."

Looking over the man's shoulder at the retreating mob, her eyes looking as though she were considering something. "Do you know what they are?" She asked the man, her eyes now focusing on him again. "Why they're here?"

Ridai
2012-11-19, 01:54 AM
Red only nods to the man, her face even, expressionless, the Siren already sheathed when she arrives. For the most part, her eyes are fixed on what seems like infested mortals. "What we need to know to kill them," she adds nonchalantly, figuring it is a valid question considering what they just saw.

Tavar
2012-11-20, 02:21 AM
"You being here is the only reason they didn't pursue, and drag the rest of us down like Rivers.

No idea what they are, but be careful. Those vines aren't for show: they control them somehow. Which leads to what they want: I think it's some sort of recruitment drive. We've lost a couple people to them over the days, and while so far we've kept them from breaking in, it's only a matter of time. Especially with supplies as they are.

We've been using fire to keep them back, and the few that press close enough fall pretty easily to weapons."

Cespenar
2012-11-20, 07:00 AM
Taking the Lunar's advice, Arda rents a room from the inn, and enjoys the modest accommodations like a rich merchant may enjoy an expensive and luxurious suite.

Letting his thoughts swim free for a while, he then begins to meditate on today's experiences. Not much has happened, a regular person might say, but to Arda, even a simple walk through the streets of a city included enough stimulants to fill a book.

Ridai
2012-11-20, 12:38 PM
"Sounds straightforward enough. Wouldn't mind cleaning 'em up," Red comments, rolling her shoulders. Stopping a growing threat should be in tune with their goals in a way. Then again, her desire to fight is always there.

The Blue Guard
2012-11-26, 07:45 AM
Jania

"I'd prefer it we could get a closer look at one of them - and by we I mean me. If we know what they are we might open up a few extra paths to take." Jania gives Red an apologetic smile. "Sorry. We'll probably have to fight them off on the way back though, so there's that."

Ridai
2012-11-26, 10:08 AM
Red simply shrugs. "Fair enough, result's the same."

Tavar
2012-11-28, 07:55 PM
"Careful: they can hide pretty good. We thought the road was mostly clear when we broke out, but they were waiting."

You can see his point. Already there are many members of the mob seemingly vanishing into the fields.

The Blue Guard
2012-11-29, 04:56 AM
Jania

"It wouldn't be much of an ambush if we could see them," she replied flippantly. "But we'll be fine all the same - just stay close to either me or my friend."

Ridai
2012-11-29, 09:05 AM
Red nods. However, she is a little surprised to be subsequently pulled aside by Jania for a moment. "What's up?" She raises an eyebrow when she hears that her friend wants to give her some martial arts related pointers and demonstrations, but answers "Sure, go ahead."

Red, though she apparently has little interest in intellectual undertakings, is an attentive student. She might not have much in the way of unarmed combat ability, but everything related to combat is a language she speaks fluently. She asks a few questions now and then to help the process and the techniques come naturally to her, though she lets Jania correct her on form and execution a few times, just as Red does by herself when something feels off or trying out a few ways quickly to get it right.

Once they have finished the quick lesson, the Abyssal can definitely feel the benefits already, Jania being a great teacher. Clenching and unclenching her fist, she mutters "Nice." before turning to her friend again, a little smile on her face. "Looking forward to the next lesson, Sifu." It is more playful than anything, even adding the quick gesture of pressing her fist against her open palm, but she can appreciate a good mentor.

Reacting to BG's OOC post. Updated the sheet.

Kyeudo
2012-12-01, 12:45 AM
Obsidian Wings

"We've narrowed it down to the worst of the warmongers. The list is fairly short. There's Achere Gamon, one of the major players in the slave trade, Jackson Osteon, a glass merchant who's lost some big shipments out on the plains, Jurgen Icefist, leader of the Bronze Pioneers, and Kalenko Cointaker, a banker with some heavy investments in the arms trade."

Tavar
2012-12-10, 04:37 PM
The man shakes his head at your offer.

"You can go if you like. We need to go to the other towns. Even if you do clear up what's going on here, they need to be warned. No telling how far this things gone, or if anyone else is going to have a chance of leaving.

If you do head into town, ask for Weeping Willow. He's in charge."

Pulling lighting on the reigns, he an the other riders begin to slowly walk their horses away.

The Blue Guard
2012-12-15, 07:04 PM
Jania

Jania smiled and nodded at the rider, she knew in particular the importance for some course's to run their full length. Red, she thought, would probably like to get stuck into the local problem, and if that was true the local problem soon wouldn't be - the riders would come home seemingly having left for no reason. Turning to Red she pushed the riders to the back of her mind where she didn't have to think about their future. "Weeping Willow it is?" She asked with a smile. "That is, if you want to get involved. We do have our business in Nexus to take care of, after all."

Ridai
2012-12-15, 07:22 PM
"Weeping Willow it is," Red answers, heading towards town. Any chaos around Nexus is bad right now. Therefore, time to brutally stomp what chaos there is.

Tavar
2012-12-17, 12:35 PM
You begin down the road, keeping a watchful eye on your surroundings for the things. It's a bit unnerving how quite it is: there's the nearby river, and the clomp of hooves hitting packed ground, but besides that nothing.

Perception+Awareness checks, things relating to ambushes apply.

Ridai
2012-12-17, 01:32 PM
Red's eyes of the same color look straight ahead towards her destination, secure in the knowledge that even if her senses should fail her in seeing an ambush coming, her body won't.

Perception + Awareness [roll0]

Uncanny Impulse Evasion if surprised (0m vs. ghosts, mortals and raksha)

The Blue Guard
2012-12-17, 06:42 PM
Jania

With eyes of yellow and pupils flecked by deep star-fields of the same Jania kept a mostly lazy watch. Her sense of Fate was far more attuned than her sense of vision as vague premonitions drift through her mind.

[roll0]

Tavar
2012-12-18, 01:21 AM
You're over halfway to the town when it happens. The creatures seem to pop out of the ground, launching missiles as they do so. Now that you have a closer look, you have a momentary feeling of relief, as basic armor seems like it would suffice against them.

Then the attacks begin to land, an not on the riders armor. Only two horses go down, but many in the rear of the company are injured. What look like dogs charge forward as well, nipping at the still standing horses and stunned, dismounted riders.

The formerly quite day is full of screaming horses and yelling men. The enemy makes no sound.

To be clear: no attacks were directed at you, as you were at the front. Roll Join Battle.

Ridai
2012-12-18, 01:28 PM
Tricky little things. Red straightaway spins around on her heels, ready to move into the fray.
Join Battle: [roll0]

Active effects: Eye of the Tempest

Kobold-Bard
2013-01-03, 12:24 PM
Wings

"Hmm, well the mortal is keen on finding out about slaves, so I suppose Mr. Gamon should be the first to be checked out. where does he hang his blood-soaked hat?"

The Blue Guard
2013-01-04, 12:21 PM
Jania

Jania felt the attack as it happened as somebody would feel a weather front. It gave her a few extra seconds more to react as the deluge of violence fell.

Join Battle: [roll0]

Personal: 7/15 (0 Committed)

Tavar
2013-01-04, 10:42 PM
Jania whirls even as the first missiles begin to fall, but Red has trouble with her horse, preventing her from engaging as speedily.

Tick order:
0: Jania
1:
2:
3:Monsters, S1
4:Tribesman
5:Red
6:

Kyeudo
2013-01-05, 01:04 AM
"Several places, actually. He's got a mansion on the edge between Bastion district and Cinnabar, several 'warehouses' for his wares in Nexus, and a loading yard in Firewander near the wall. Eyes in Shadow went prowling around his mansion a few days ago and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but that doesn't really eliminate him as a possibility."

The Blue Guard
2013-01-11, 01:52 PM
With a casual flick of her thumb Jania strikes the strand of her lifespan, deferring efforts to cut it that were sure to come. If these poor creatures still had hearts to hurt they would find it difficult to attack as their loved ones were interposed through spectral images, but only if they still had a heart. Aware that Red was the only one capable of cutting down these monsters fast enough to make a difference Jania moves to her side, resuming the defensive over watch she'd maintained in their previous battle.

Activate Charm: Optimistic Security Practice (Reflexive)
Effect: As I'm wearing no armour I gain my Resistance and my Essence in Aggravated, Lethal, and Bashing soak (+6A/6L/6B). There is also a secondary effect, but I'm not sure if these guys qualify since I don't think zombies have Compassion or Intimacies...

Personal: 2/15 (0 Committed)

Kobold-Bard
2013-01-12, 01:10 PM
Wings

"I ate a mouse last week and I've been looking for an excuse to put it to use, so I think snooping around the warehouses will be the next thing on my to-do list."

Assuming there are no objections, Wing will bow and depart in bird form, heading for the monk's temporary residence. Locating the correct window, the jet black raven lands on the outer sill and raps repeatedly on the thin glass with his beak to draw the elderly man's attention.

Cespenar
2013-01-13, 03:23 AM
Arda rises from the bed as if he wasn't already sleeping, and turns to the window. After examining the vista for a while, he focuses on the raven and looks at it expectantly.

Kobold-Bard
2013-01-13, 04:15 AM
Wings

When Arda opens the catch on the window and allows him entry, the raven flaps onto the bedroom floor and bows his head. A shimmer of silver runs along his feathers as he grows several feet in height and returns to his human self.

"Hello again, I hope you're finding the accomodation acceptable?

I've spoken with my companion and he has confirmed that Jian has received the message of your arrival, and that their group is on it's way back to Nexus. In the meantime he had several suggestions for who the dark knight who is stoking this war might be. I intend to investigate a man named Achere Gamon, a slave trader of apparent excellent standing in his field.

Given your fondness for locating local slaves, I wondered if you might care to join me in seeking answers in one of his "warehouses". Assuming the night air isn't too cold on your joints of course?"

Cespenar
2013-01-13, 05:26 PM
The old monk stretches out his limbs while the Lunar speaks. He shrugs and avoids the polite question regarding the accommodations as if he finds the very subject not worth talking about.

"That is good news," he replies to the Exalted's return. "Then we will have our head start in the investigation before they arrive. I will come."

He looks around the room, and gets his spear. With that one action, he seems to have effectively packed and looks ready to go.

"And no, I personally find the night air invigorating," he adds, underlining it with a deep breath.

Tavar
2013-01-14, 08:58 PM
The creatures tear into the unprepared tribesmen, taking down many before they manage some semblance of an organized defense. Several horses and a few more men fall, but then the tide of battle begins to shift, with the tribesmen organizing themselves, fighting as a unit rather than individuals. They manage to bring several of the attackers down, spilling red blood and green sap over the road.

But just as the lines finally seem to be stabilized, a new threat appears, coming from the opposite side of the road. It smashes into the the line, and chaos takes hold once more as something very much like a river dragon tears into the men. It's longer fangs have no trouble with the men's armor, while it's hide is covered with thick, bark-like extrusions, deflecting their toughest blows. Two tentacle like vines sprout from it's back, and before your eyes they grapple two of the men, crushing them like the great eastern snakes, before tossing them back into the crowd.

Tick 0: Red(Jaina as well, if taking a different action)
tick 1:
Tick 2:
Tick 3:
Tick 4:Monsters, S1
Tick 5:Tribesmen
Tick 6:

Ridai
2013-01-15, 01:48 PM
The carnage unfolds before Red's very eyes. Ideal conditions. She flashes a smile to Jania who is quickly dancing her way into Red's heart if she continues like this. Her friend having her back means Red won't need to hold back. Quickly dismounting, she quips "Shall we?"

Instinctively attuning her movements to Jania's, Red moves in tandem with her across the battlefield, stepping over fallen horses and corpses on her gruesome path right into the thick of things. Immediately in front of the huge monster, the Abyssal comes to a powerful stop, going low and drawing a half-circle into the bloodied dirt. With a screeching roar, a tempest of black blurs and shining streaks of moonsilver breaks loose around her, like the shadow of an eclipse gone in a heartbeat, leaving her allies safe, the ground slashed up and the air filled with dirt, blood and body parts.

With a casual swipe, Red clears the air over her and Jania, the moonsilver collecting on her free hand into her serrated gauntlet. Inclining her head, she throws a sidelong glance to the dragon-like creature, curling her armored finger towards it.
Active effect: Eye of the Tempest

Red moves right into the combat zone and within three yards of the big monster and as many of the smaller ones as possible.

Two action flurry, speed 5
DDV 4/PDV 9

Misc. action (draw Siren)
Unfurling Iron Lotus [roll0] vs. all enemies within three yards
6 successes...

Personal: 12/20

Tavar
2013-01-15, 08:04 PM
The normal enemies fall like wheat to a thresher, but the attack just bounces off the river dragon. The surviving minor attackers seem to back off, focusing their efforts on the horses, while the River Dragon turns to fully face the Ridal.

Lashing out quickly, it directs several hammer blows at the Exalt.

Tentacle one:[roll0]
Tentacle Two:[roll1]
Maw: [roll2]

Tick 0:Tribesmen, Red(Jaina)
Tick 1:
Tick 2:
Tick 3:S1
Tick 4:Monsters

Ridai
2013-01-16, 01:30 PM
Ah, hubris, quick to deliver the punch. The first tentacle quickly winds it's way through the carnage and debris, almost as fast as the storm of slashes that preceeded it. Red registers it and slams the broad side of her blade against the tentacle and reinforcing her defense with her gauntlet, but she can't help but crack a smile with clenched teeth as she is battered back and her boots are dragging deep lines into the dirt. Her defense likely won't do, unless Jania has a trick up her sleeves. Nothing else remains but take the hit, feel the pain, live and learn.

Note to self: Using attack charms still isn't worth it.

Attack 2 and 3 are no issue for Red, but number 1 is a definite hit.

Also, did I receive any stunt dice for the attack or this defense (for ressource purposes)?

Kobold-Bard
2013-01-19, 05:08 AM
Wings

"Well alrighty then, lets go. It's east of us here, past the Shadowland."

And with that the pair will leave in that direction, Wing eyeing a small lizard sitting on a barrel outside, but deciding now wasn't the time to invoke Luna in a Hunt.

Kyeudo
2013-01-20, 11:57 AM
Obsidian Wings and Arda
Some time later, you find yourself in Nexus district, near to the Coffleblock Market and the currently empty slave pens where humans are bought and sold like animals by day. The warehouse is only one story, a wide, squat building of brown brick with a sloping, wood-shingled roof. No obvious guards patrol around the outside. Light shines out through a small, iron-barred window and through the cracks in the large double doors and the smaller door set into one of them that face the street. Few people walk the streets at this hour and those that do carry obvious weapons - it is Nexus, after all.

Tavar
2013-01-24, 01:36 PM
The first tentacle belies it's thing appearance with the power of it's blow, smashing through Jaina's guard, knocking the vizier's arms aside and colliding heavily with her chest, and an ugly cracking sound is the result.

The second, whether by luck or the angle, does not find such success, but the crushing jaws are only barely deflected.

Parry of 6 vs attack of 13 =7 extra dice of damage. Plus a base of 9B equals 16, -8 from soak, leaving 8 damage total.

[roll0]-4B damage.

If you continue to defend other, the third attack will also land (PDV of at most 4 vs attack of 5), which will deal 4L damage, plus the damage gained from additional successes from wounds.

[roll1]-These dice of damage only apply if you continue the defend other. It would be 3L damage.

Cespenar
2013-01-25, 08:27 AM
The monk gives the building a once-over, and glances at the Lunar.

"Are you sure this is the place?" he asks, unimpressed.

Ridai
2013-02-04, 03:14 PM
Bracing for impact, Red suddenly sees Jania throw herself in the way, bearing the brunt of the attacks. The Abyssal's eyes widen slightly, not having expected this course of events. And they narrow immediately when she sees the pain inflicted on her friend. It is like the temperature drops around the two exalted and the debris whipped up by the assaults seems to hang in the air for a moment. With a growl, Red steps around Jania, bringing the Siren around in a big, two-handed swing hacking right through the ground as she goes, as if delivering a furious uppercut by proxy. And then the storm begins anew.

All the loose bits and body parts get hurled towards the dragon as all style and finesse is abandoned in a hail of dozens of brutal slams, black screeching walls painted into the air around Jania and Red as the latter brings her blade down again and again like a club seeking to turn the foul creature into gory paste, hammering the thing deeper and deeper into the mud.
Sorry for the delay, still kinda hoped for BG to post to have someone to play off of. :smallfrown:

Recovered 4 personal motes from stunt.
Active effect: Eye of the Tempest

Time-Scything Technique (speed 5, Dmg 13L/2, -4 motes per hit that does damage) against the dragon
DDV 5/PDV 9

Ruinous Siren ability: Use all 10 motes saved in the Siren to increase the raw damage of the first attack that hits by 10.
Attack 1 [roll0] 10 successes
Attack 2 [roll1] 8 successes
Attack 3 [roll2] 3 successes
Attack 4 [roll3] 11 successes
Attack 5 [roll4] 5 successes
Attack 6 [roll5] 9 successes

Personal: 11/20
WP: 6/8
Ruinous Siren mote pool: 0/10

Tavar
2013-02-06, 11:02 PM
The dragon does no so much expire as it does unravel, like a child's doll given to a warhound. The blade cuts deeply, spilling some ichor, but much less than what you would think. The reason is obvious: inside, instead of veins the creature has only roots.

With the creature's death, the back of the attack is broken, and the things begin to retreat. Things haven't gone all your way, however; you can hear the shrieks of fallen horse, and there are empty saddles as well.

Is that -4 motes to you or to the target?

Kobold-Bard
2013-02-13, 01:14 PM
Wing

"It's the warehouse of a slave lord who may well be an avatar of the dark forces of the Underworld. What were you expecting exactly?"

With that Wing will begin sleuthing around to see if there's an obvious way in that doesn't involve breaking down a door (holes in the wall, ceiling, unlikely door marked 'Deathknights Only', etc.).

Kyeudo
2013-02-14, 10:04 PM
The walls and roof are in good repair and no other doors are in evidence.

Kobold-Bard
2013-02-17, 06:44 AM
Wing

"Well then, I guess we're going in the front door."

And with that, Wing will Shapeshift into a wolf, and do exactly that.

----
3m personal - Shapeshift into non-True Form.

P: 16/19
Pp: 36/36 (44) [Anima - 0]
W: 10/10

Cespenar
2013-02-19, 10:06 AM
Arda shrugs, wields his spear, and steps into the stance of his familiar Immaculate style.

He nods briefly, ready to dash in after Wing.

Getting into Five Dragon Form. I'm away from my pdf, but I think it was 5m?

Kyeudo
2013-02-27, 08:55 PM
Arda opens the door and lets Obsidian Wings trot right on in. A group of four thugs sits around a wooden table, playing cards. Judging by the small pile of dinars in the middle of the table, it looks like a low stakes game of three-dragon ante. Heavy wooden cudgels hang from their belts. They stand up as the door opens, hands going to weapons, then look puzzeled when a wolf strolls through the door. "What in Malfeas is a wolf doing here?" one of them asks.

Cespenar
2013-02-28, 08:09 AM
Ignoring the comment about the wolf, the monk shows an astounding display of shrewdness as he questions the thugs.

"Is this where you keep the slaves?"

Kobold-Bard
2013-03-01, 12:00 PM
Wings

Resisting the urge to break character and facepalm, Wing instead trots into the room and his sensory organs quiver with unseen essence, reshaping themselves subtley before he starts sniffing & listening for anything resembling slaves (other people, different air within hidden passages, generic "labour" sounds, etc.).

--
Combo: Silver Sensory Upgrade - Hybrid Body Rearrangement x2 [Enhanced Sight (1m P) & Enhanced Hearing (1m P)]

Perception (3) + Awareness (0) + Enhanced senses (2 or 4) = [roll0]

P: 14/19

Kyeudo
2013-03-03, 01:20 AM
The guard looks at Arda as though the monk has been struck a few too many times in the head. "Take your pet there and get out. Come back in the morning if you want to buy something."

Obsidian Wings can both hear and smell a large number of people nearby, behind a second set of double doors that are tightly padlocked. It would seem this room is an annex, serving as a place for the guards and slave handlers to relax and as a place to keep the books. Behind that door, you mostly hear sounds of sleeping, snoring, rustling, and the like, along with an occasional wimper. You smell the scent of too many bodies crammed into the same space without proper hygiene and beneath it the scents of despair, fear, and pain.

Cespenar
2013-03-04, 02:31 PM
Arda takes a step forward, seemingly not getting the clue.

"Are there any people from the villages you're keeping here? Villages like, Matashi?"

Kyeudo
2013-03-04, 10:00 PM
"Bugger off, old man. That's none of your buisness."

Cespenar
2013-03-05, 04:45 AM
"If it's my people, it becomes my business."

The old man tries to walk past the thugs and deep into the warehouse.

Kobold-Bard
2013-03-05, 05:36 AM
Wings

Wolf-wings will indicate to Arda where the slaves are, and proceed to growl menacingly at th guards when they inevitably try to stop the monk.

--
I don't recall off hand if Exalted has readied actions, but if it does I'll prepare to give myself a chomp mutatikn and bite through whatever a guard tries to hit me with (preferably a leg so I can bite his foot clean off).

Kyeudo
2013-03-05, 08:48 PM
The door is locked, as I noted a few post ago.

The guards draw their cudgels and come around the table. "Get out of here now, or you'll find more trouble than you want."

Cespenar
2013-03-06, 04:20 PM
The monk wields his spear in return, brandishing it in a fluid motion.

"Don't make the wrong choice now," he warns the thugs, tilting his head.

Kyeudo
2013-03-17, 09:46 PM
"I'm not afraid of an old man with a pointy stick" He rushes forward, attempting to bat Arda's spear with his club, the others following behind him.

Sorry, lost the internet for a couple of days and this got buried.

Join Battle:
Obsidian Wings:[roll0]
Arda:[roll1]
Thugs:[roll2]

Action Order:
Tick 0: Obsidian Wings, Thugs
Tick 1: Arda

Kobold-Bard
2013-03-19, 03:45 PM
Wings

Wings pre-empts the attackers, lunging at the nearest one's leg and biting down hard. Essence infused teeth tear through muscle like daggers, and once he hits bone he twists, shattering the bone and severing the bottom of his leg entirely with a flash of blood.

Shifting his weight Wings spins and releases the man's limb from his blood soaked maw and launching it at another man as a makeshift weapon, hitting him square in the face and fracturing his nose as it's former owner screamed in pain.

---
Speed 5 Flurry: Hybrid Body Rearrangement [Teeth] + First Dex Excellency + unarmed attack + thrown attack.

(The aim is to do 4+ damage to the first guy; enough to cause a disability, thus severing his leg, then using it as an improvised weapon on the second guy. Lets hope the dice are kind or I'll feel very foolish. A few stunt dice wouldn't hurt either.)

Atk 1 -
Acc: [roll0] = 9 successes + stunt dice (if any)
Dmg: [roll1] 3 + acc successes = 12L Raw Damage + stunt dice (if any)

Atk 2 -
Acc: [roll2] + [roll3] (excellency) = 5 successes + stunt dice (if any)
Dmg: [roll4] 1 + acc successes = 6B Raw Damage + stunt dice (if any)

(in case I fail to sever the guy's leg, use the spoilered rolls for Atk 2 instead, as Wings lunges at the other guy's face, teeth barred and snarling like a snoring Earth Dragon)
Atk 2 -
Acc: [roll5] = 2 successess + stunt dice (if any)
Dmg: [roll6] 3 + acc successes = 5L Raw Damages + stunt dice (if any)

P: 8/19 (13/19 if using the spoilered atk instead)

Kobold-Bard
2013-03-19, 03:47 PM
OOC: Unspoilered Atk 2 base rolls, because I messed up: [roll0]

Kyeudo
2013-03-23, 11:18 AM
2 stunt dice. You got 1 extra success on the first roll, and 2 extra successes on the second.

BTW, 6s aren't successes unless a Sidereal is involved, so your second roll is only 3 successes.

The hired muscle swing their cudgels at Arda and his pet, trying to pin them into a corner of the room.

Attacks on Arda:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attacks on Obsidian Wings:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Two of the thugs find out quickly that they aren't dealing with any normal opponents. One goes down with a scream as his leg is torn off, the other receives a boot to the head - his friend's boot, to be specific. The blow is only glancing, but it leaves him with a nasty bruise across his cheek and covered in blood.

Cespenar
2013-03-26, 12:48 PM
It might as well be a whip on the monk's hand, and not a solid piece of wood. The spearhead swats away the clubs before the thugs can even get in range, and lashes forward. Instead of a deadly thrust, though, the side of the steel tip moves to smack one of the thugs on the cheek. The monk revolves with the spear, but the butt slides forward this time, hoping to catch the thug in the jaw and send him reeling backwards onto the playing table.

Flurry of two, plus pulling blows. A total of -3 and -4 on attacks, but there should also be the onslaught penalty on the thug's defense, I guess.

[roll0] + possible stunt
[roll1]

[roll2] + possible stunt
[roll3]

Kyeudo
2013-03-27, 10:10 AM
Two stunt dice. You get more one success on the first roll and none on the second.

One thug crashes sideways into the wall, his head hitting the wall with a solid thud. He slumps down the wall, unconscious. The other goes flying backwards and crashes onto the table, coins and cards flying everywhere. He doesn't move, likewise out cold.

The last guy, suddenly standing alone against two enemies that just dropped three men in less than a second, bolts for the door.

If you want to run him down, here's the action count still, but otherwise we can move on.
Tick 5: Obsidian Wings, Thugs
Tick 6: Arda

Cespenar
2013-03-28, 04:53 AM
The monk glances respectively at the fleeing thug, the one on the ground with its leg torn off, and finally the Lunar. One of his brows arches very slightly, which might say "Was that really necessary?", or it might just be a twitch.

Kobold-Bard
2013-04-03, 12:16 PM
Wings

The wolf allows the sensible man to live, but trots over and finishes those wounded but alive, sinking his teeth deep into the flesh of their throats.

Satisfied they have expired, Wings retakes human form, his eyes still bestial and his ears overly long. He addresses the monk as he wipes the blood from his face using the water/beer/misc. that the guards were drinking (it's Neus, who really knows for sure what it was).

"Not bad for an older fellow. Anyway I hear what sounds distinctly like an overcrowded chamber through there. Either break the door or find a key and you can be their saviour."

----
I guess Perception + Awareness to look for a key?

[roll0] = 2 successes

P: 12/19

Cespenar
2013-04-04, 03:58 AM
"I don't care who gets to be the 'saviour', as long as they are safe," Arda replies sternly, but moves forward to the door nevertheless. Still in the Five Dragon stance, he steps hard onto the ground and kicks the door, near the lock.

OOC:Is a 8 (2 Str + 4 Athletics + 2 Five Dragon Style) in 'feats of strength' thingy enough to break down that door?

Kyeudo
2013-04-08, 07:44 PM
Obsidian Wings finds a ring of keys on the belt of one of the dead guards, just as Arda kicks the door. The lock doesn't break - it tears right out of the door, causing them to swing open and slam into the walls with a loud boom. Startled yelps and the cries of disturbed sleepers come from the room beyond.

By the light from the guards' room, you can see much of the warehouse beyond and a warehouse it is - one where humanity is shelved like so much dry goods. Hard berths are stacked four high along the walls and in islands throughout, with barely a pace to walk between them. All the berths you can see are filled with slaves. Iron chains run from ankle bands on every slave to thick rings sunk into the rough beams of the berths, with only enough slack in the chains for the slave to stand and take a few steps. The warehouse is without windows and no lights are lit, though you can make out the shapes of occasional sconces for torches or lamps within.

Kobold-Bard
2013-04-15, 11:30 AM
Wings

The Lunar sighs.

"Now that's no good. This lot are clearly going to leave with us because of how crappy their lives are. But if they were fed and warm, they'd probably think twice about running off with two strange men. It's like this idiot wants to lose his slaves. Alright folks, up and at 'em. Fall behind and you're left behind."

Kyeudo
2013-04-15, 08:29 PM
One of the slaves rattles his chains, a mute testament to why he didn't leave before.

Cespenar
2013-04-16, 04:00 AM
Arda takes in the situation of the slaves with a grim look on his face. He glances at their chains, and looks for a mechanism or lock to free them by the whole, taking one of the lamps to light the way if necessary.

Do I need to roll? He essentially searches until he finds something.

Kyeudo
2013-04-16, 12:25 PM
The key ring Obsidian Wings found quickly proves to have the keys you need. The slaves look to you for leadership.

So, now that you have a few hundred slaves following you, what are you going to do?

Kobold-Bard
2013-04-21, 02:51 AM
Wings

Whilst unlocking their bonds, the Lunar asks the huddled masses the same question.

"Are any of you from Matashi, or do you know where those from Matashi are stored?"

Kyeudo
2013-04-21, 02:24 PM
No one from Matashi was taken. It was from some of the other villages attacked.

Cespenar
2013-04-22, 01:05 AM
The slaves freed, Arda looks at them blankly for a second before turning to Wings.

"I don't think these men are from Matashi nor the surrounding villages, but there must be some clues in here somewhere."

"Could you look for a ledger of some kind? An organization this big, they have to keep records, I believe."

Kyeudo
2013-05-06, 01:00 AM
Locating a ledger isn't hard. Inside are notes on the expected number of slaves housed inside on a given day, notes about any slaves that managed to escape or died, and short descriptions of all the merchandise housed in the warehouse. Figuring out if the ledger tells you anything is another story.

You can roll some Int + Bureaucracy now or take the ledger and study it later.

Cespenar
2013-05-09, 02:26 AM
Arda gives the contents of the ledger a cursory examine, and quickly decides that it is out of his scope. He takes the book in his free arm.

"Unless you are learned enough to make sense of it, we'd better show it to someone who can," he says to Wince.

"Also, any ideas on what to do with the slaves?" he adds a tad more softly.