PDA

View Full Version : where are all the 3.5 beholders

spiderfate
2012-09-07, 01:07 PM
i remember a large assortment of of different beholders and beholder kin in past editions. does anyone know where i can find the different beholder species in 3.5 books?

http://www.dotd.com/mm/behold2.gif

Urpriest
2012-09-07, 01:11 PM
Lords of Madness has a fair number, so does Monsters of Faerun (some of which may have been updated in other books). Similarly, I would expect there to be several in Underdark, though I haven't checked.

spiderfate
2012-09-07, 01:12 PM
http://www.dotd.com/mm/behold1.gif

TheTick
2012-09-07, 01:53 PM
That last one, maybe it's just the guy on the left, but it looks like a Beholder boy-band.

Roguenewb
2012-09-07, 02:54 PM
Since Ur-Priest already /thread-ed (as he often does), I'm gonna go on a tangent.

I hate Beholders. They're some goofy idea someone had, that we still have stats for 20 years later. They're at best a bad joke, when it turns out that with levels in their special PrC they become unbeatable killing machines...it's just worse.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-07, 03:08 PM
Since Ur-Priest already /thread-ed (as he often does), I'm gonna go on a tangent.

I hate Beholders. They're some goofy idea someone had, that we still have stats for 20 years later. They're at best a bad joke, when it turns out that with levels in their special PrC they become unbeatable killing machines...it's just worse.

I believe they keep them around because other people love them. Myself, for example. They are easily my favorite monster in D&D. The big issue is that PaO is totally borked, not that Beholders are.

http://www.dotd.com/mm/behold1.gif
Beholder, Monster Manual I. Bloodkiss? I think it is a Faerun creature. Eye of the Deep, Lords of Madness. Half-ithiliad, I have seen it before but I can't remember where. Spectator, Lords of Madness. Beholder Lich, I know Forgotten Realms has them because they are at war with the Phaerimm.

spiderfate
2012-09-07, 03:16 PM
I believe they keep them around because other people love them. Myself, for example. They are easily my favorite monster in D&D. The big issue is that PaO is totally borked, not that Beholders are.

Beholder, Monster Manual I. Bloodkiss? I think it is a Faerun creature. Eye of the Deep, Lords of Madness. Half-ithiliad, I have seen it before but I can't remember where. Spectator, Lords of Madness. Beholder Lich, I know Forgotten Realms has them because they are at war with the Phaerimm.

awesome help, thanks guys. the only one i still need is the lensman, which is the drone with limbs. this is for a spacejammer adventure i am making where the characters have to infiltrate the Gulog which is run by the Beholder syndicate. an assortment of hundreds of beholder ship captains run by a council of hive mothers, elder orbs and beholder liches. their will be somekind of connection to to the beholder that runs skullport in the realms

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-07, 04:27 PM

They're iconic. They're one of the few uniquely D&D-ish monsters that exist in the game. They're ingrained in D&D's history and very essence. In short, it just wouldn't be D&D without them.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-07, 04:45 PM
They're iconic. They're one of the few uniquely D&D-ish monsters that exist in the game. They're ingrained in D&D's history and very essence. In short, it just wouldn't be D&D without them.

Seconded. When I think of D&D, Beholders are one of the first things that come to mind (right after, y'know.. Dragons.. and dungeons).

The Glyphstone
2012-09-07, 04:51 PM
Seconded. When I think of D&D, Beholders are one of the first things that come to mind (right after, y'know.. Dragons.. and dungeons).

Thirded. Imma really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Beholders are simply the most iconic D&D monster of all time.

Mind flayers are a close second, and githzerai/yanki the third.

Analytica
2012-09-07, 04:58 PM
That last one, maybe it's just the guy on the left, but it looks like a Beholder boy-band.

Totally. With the somewhat grungy Beholder lich on the right.

Also, I keep thinking that Beholders are basically Daleks.

hamishspence
2012-09-07, 05:06 PM
Monsters of Faerun, while 3.0, has updates in the Players Guide to Faerun web enhancement- also includes 3.5 updates for most other 3.0 Realms books.

In Monsters of Faerun are: the Death kiss (blood-draining tentacles, the Eyeball (tiny, four eyes) the Beholder Mage PRC, and the Gouger (long tongue) as well as the Doomsphere (beholder ghost).

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has the death tyrant (like a beholder zombie, but retains more powers than a beholder with the zombie template would)

GnomeGninjas
2012-09-07, 05:09 PM
In dragon compendium there is a Bleeder Beholded, instead of stalkeyes it has mouths.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-07, 05:29 PM
Totally. With the somewhat grungy Beholder lich on the right.

Also, I keep thinking that Beholders are basically Daleks.

EXTERMINATE.

There's also the Lurking Strangler in the MM3, and the Mindwitness (half-illithid beholder) in Underdark.

Urpriest
2012-09-07, 05:43 PM
awesome help, thanks guys. the only one i still need is the lensman, which is the drone with limbs. this is for a spacejammer adventure i am making where the characters have to infiltrate the Gulog which is run by the Beholder syndicate. an assortment of hundreds of beholder ship captains run by a council of hive mothers, elder orbs and beholder liches. their will be somekind of connection to to the beholder that runs skullport in the realms

I'm afraid you're out of luck with lensmen. I remember seeing a fan conversion recently, which indicates that they were never updated officially. That said, if you're ok with fan content, I'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere. Probably around the Spelljammer community.

spiderfate
2012-09-07, 06:12 PM
I'm afraid you're out of luck with lensmen. I remember seeing a fan conversion recently, which indicates that they were never updated officially. That said, if you're ok with fan content, I'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere. Probably around the Spelljammer community.

lets face it the lensmen are really just primates with a single magical eye. not to hard to convert, will have to do. thanks a bunch.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539037_4609922896130_660752308_n.jpg

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-09-07, 07:05 PM
Since we are on the topic of beholders: Is there an official (lesser) beholder with an actual level adjustment? I was the other day looking into playing one (of whatever subtype) and did not want to go the PAO route (for obvious reasons).

spiderfate
2012-09-07, 07:15 PM
Since we are on the topic of beholders: Is there an official (lesser) beholder with an actual level adjustment? I was the other day looking into playing one (of whatever subtype) and did not want to go the PAO route (for obvious reasons).

i found this on a Google search, of course its not official but very cool

http://www.planewalker.com/060222/beholder-racial-class

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-07, 07:46 PM
I don't know what a lensman is, but is it anything like the spectator on LoM pg 140-141?

Edit: Looked it up, I was way off.

Urpriest
2012-09-07, 08:12 PM

I don't think there are any that have a level adjustment, beyond just playing a character with Beholder Grafts. That said, Eyeball Beholderkin are available as familiars so a sufficiently familiar-focused build can wreak reasonable havoc with one.