PDA

View Full Version : Knowing Spell Like Abilities

Ranting Fool
2012-09-07, 04:57 PM
Right rather then go into a debate on RAW thread I thought I'd start one here.

Re: A 818 [correction]

This statement is contradicted by the RAW. The actuality is that a Supernatural or Spell-like ability duplicating a Fireball spell cannot be identified by Spellcraft at all.

The only way to use Spellcraft to identify a Fireball spell is to see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components as it's being cast. If instead you're trying to identify a Supernatural or Spell-like effect there is obviously no casting involved. An Instantaneous effect cannot be identified as "already in place and in effect" because the magic is instantaneously used up and gone. A Fireball is not targeted against anyone, so there is no option to use Spellcraft after making a saving throw.

A componentless Fireball, an alchemical fire bomb, and laser beams shooting out of a robot will all cause fire damage. None of these can be distinguished using the Spellcraft skill.

Things I wonder about. If a Warlock is using his Blast (a Spell-Like-Ability) can a person with either Spell craft or knowledge planes go "Oh look, that was an Eldritch Blast I bet he's a Warlock"?

Frosty
2012-09-07, 05:13 PM
You can't use spellcraft to know that it is a (Su) Fireball, but from the ball of flame cooking your flesh you can guess it has a fireball-like effect. For Eldritch Blast, you'll recognize it after you've seen the visual effects a few times and some Knowledge (Arcana).